• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Madness 2017 |OT| The Committee Doesn't Know What They're Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why UK playing UCLA scares me. It's just nonstop. We need Monk going all out (which he hasn't done in awhile) and even then I don't know if that will be enough.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe winning the ACCT hurt us in the end. Team played way better and hungrier with a chip on their shoulders, like they had something to prove. Maybe a few guys felt like the ACCT was "good enough".

I dunno. Maybe I'm just making up more excuses.

Proelite

Maybe winning the ACCT hurt us in the end. Team played way better and hungrier with a chip on their shoulders, like they had something to prove. Maybe a few guys felt like the ACCT was "good enough".

I dunno. Maybe I'm just making up more excuses.

Neutral court with consistent officiating I'll take us 7 out of 10.

Kentucky and (probably) UCLA tip off at 9:40pm EST on Friday. Another really late game, but at least I won't have to worry about getting out of work.

Though we're scoring easily now, UC has had too many offensive rebounds for my taste this game. One thing to work on before next week's game.

nillapuddin

last time we played

eYa6yMG.png

I remember being completely unimpressed with Ball, didnt get the hype, that Leaf and Welsh were absolute killers

last time we played

I remember being completely unimpressed with Ball, didnt get the hype, that Leaf and Welsh were absolute killers

Yeah, Leaf destroyed UK while Lonzo was just average. Also that score was a lot closer than it seemed. I think UCLA was up 10+ over the last few minutes and that gap really didn't close until the end.

UK's defense has improved quite a lot since the last game, but really they are both very different teams now. Hard to say how it will go but Cal rarely disappoints come tournament time, should be a good game.

bgbball31

Outside of the East, because what the hell is going on in that bracket, I have my E8 intact.

Kansas, Michigan, Gonzaga, Arizona, UCLA, UNC.

nillapuddin

I got over the 2014 loss pretty easily, we were playing with house money.
The 2016 loss sucked because of Ulis and I believed in him so much.
2010 it just didnt feel right because we were the best team by far.

nothing in my life expect the passing of my 18 year old cat (his name was Wildcat, if you can believe it) has ever hurt me as much as the 2015 loss (sorry grandma on my dads side, love ya, but it was your time) that will never leave me, still happy Cal doesnt let us lose to terrible teams :)

nillapuddin

Today Duke learned that it's hard to win when you're playing 5 on 8. That game was a travesty.

tbf, 22 fouls on SC, 26 on duke
32 FT for SC, 29 for duke

if you take into account that duke had to foul a bunch in a row at the end, during the actual game, the fouls were pretty even.

the officials were... (bad)
but its not that skewed

the difference is SC had a bench and dispersed their fouls, duke got them all on their starters who never come out

edit:

just realized you might have meant, 5 players vs 8 players, not the 5 + refs, if so, disregard.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Also enjoy seeing this after the national media kept lobbying for Duke to be a #1 seed. That was so ridiculous.

Nah, blind record absolutely stacked up. Their performance in this game is irrelevant to whether or not the discussion was justified at the time.

Agree to disagree on Duke's worthiness of a #1 seed. And it's not that I think this result is a reason to believe they shouldn't have been a #1 (after all, Villanova was deserving of a #1 and they lost in the 2nd round as well), just that it's gratifying.

Damn the person leading the GAF pool got every team in the Sweet 16 right in every division except for the East. They only got one right there but still. My West and South brackets are still pretty good but my other two are a disaster. Still have both of my title teams at least.

Proelite

tbf, 22 fouls on SC, 26 on duke
32 FT for SC, 29 for duke

if you take into account that duke had to foul a bunch in a row at the end, during the actual game, the fouls were pretty even.

the officials were... (bad)
but its not that skewed

the difference is SC had a bench and dispersed their fouls, duke got them all on their starters who never come out

edit:

just realized you might have meant, 5 players vs 8 players, not the 5 + refs, if so, disregard.

I might be biased, but I felt like our players weren't allowed to be as physical as theirs for the 2nd half of the first half. The fouls went from 7 to 3 to 7 to 10 or something.

At least ain't gonna be anyone saying we were gifted a victory by the refs.

Another plus is that we don't have to visit Trump.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I might be biased, but I felt like our players weren't allowed to be as physical as theirs for the 2nd half of the first half. The fouls went from 7 to 3 to 7 to 10 or something.

At least ain't gonna be anyone saying we were gifted a victory by the refs.

Another plus is that we don't have to visit Trump.

Yeah it was less about the differential and more about the inconsistency of what types of contact was allowed, and how that shifted throughout the game, IMO. Seemed like our guards were getting bodied around a lot even inside the arc with no calls, but we'd get called for equivalent contact in the paint.

Whenever we tried to match their physical play we just kept getting whistled for it.

Proelite

Yeah it was less about the differential and more about the inconsistency of what types of contact was allowed, and how that shifted throughout the game, IMO. Seemed like our guards were getting bodied around a lot even inside the arc with no calls, but we'd get called for equivalent contact in the paint.

Whenever we tried to match their physical play we just kept getting whistled for it.

Even our 2015 team might have lost tonight. Tyus and Quinn would have 4 turnovers each and Justice Winslow would have been on the bench for 75% of the game due to foul trouble. Okafor would have been a total net neutral due to his defensive woes.

I've been following Duke bball since 2006, and I've never complained about officiating being the cause of our loss in the NCAAs. This is NOT the same as 2011 Arizona.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Even our 2015 team might have lost tonight. Tyus and Quinn would have 4 turnovers each and Justice Winslow would have been on the bench for 75% of the game due to foul trouble. Okafor would have been a total net neutral due to his defensive woes.

I've been following Duke bball since 2006, and I've never complained about officiating being the cause of our loss in the NCAAs. This is NOT the same as 2011 Arizona.

I glossed over this before, but you know you would've loved to see K interact with Trump. Don't lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom