• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Madness 2017 |OT| The Committee Doesn't Know What They're Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
If we win a title in the next 7 years, we should send only our walkons and trainers. Pretty Trump wouldn't notice the difference.

You think K has another 7 years left in him? You don't really believe God Emperor Trump is stepping down after just 2 terms, do you?

nillapuddin

I might be biased, but I felt like our players weren't allowed to be as physical as theirs for the 2nd half of the first half. The fouls went from 7 to 3 to 7 to 10 or something.

I could see an argument for that,

thats how Martin teams play, unfortunately I have to see it all the time and usually multiple times a year. They get under your skin, push you around, and frustrate you.

SC doesnt score like that, they were in another world.

Z_Y

last time we played

eYa6yMG.png

I remember being completely unimpressed with Ball, didnt get the hype, that Leaf and Welsh were absolute killers

14-6-7 as a true freshman in his first month on the road at one of the toughest places to play?

Completely unimpressed?

I didn't watch the game...but c'mon. lol

RR30

14-6-7 as a true freshman in his first month on the road at one of the toughest places to play?

Completely unimpressed?

Toughest places to play? Rupp ain't even in the top 5 in that regard.

Ball had a very good second half but was terrible in the first half. Fox outplayed him overall. That doesn't matter though because UK couldn't stop the other guys and won't be able to again.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Duke had 8 losses. There has never been a 1 seed with 8 losses.

Oh I forgot about the "a 1 seed shall not have more than 7 losses" rule.

UNC had 7 with a weaker resume. Not a great argument unless you also don't believe they deserved the 1 either (which, for the record, I think is an even better argument -- my beef is not in the seeding itself, but the logic and consistency)

MisterR

Oh I forgot about the "a 1 seed shall not have more than 7 losses" rule.

UNC had 7 with a weaker resume. Not a great argument unless you also don't believe they deserved the 1 either (which, for the record, I think is an even better argument -- my beef is not in the seeding itself, but the logic and consistency)

Neither one of them deserved a 1 seed. That's especially clear in retrospect seeing how overrated the ACC was.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Glad Duke went down. So close to also being rid of UK and UNC yesterday too.

Things have shaped up pretty decently for WVU. Not easy as Gonzaga will be tough as hell, as will Arizona (or Xavier). But there are definitely tougher paths to the final four, like having to beat Kentucky in 2010 when we made it. If they can get through that, the final four match up should be reasonable since it will be a 3 seed (Baylor who we stomped once, and lost a tough game in their place) or higher.

I have us going out against Gonzaga in our bracket, but if we get past that I like our chances going forward as the Zags are the toughest match up for us on that side of the bracket. Championship game, in the unlikely event we make it that far, would likely be a tough battle though as the other side of the bracket is full of remaining teams that I see as a bad match up for us in (Kansas--even though we beat them and should have beaten them twice), Michigan, UNC and UCLA.

Exciting time for WVU fans in any case as we should be even better next year. Adrian and Philip graduating will hurt, but that's all we lose and the freshman and sophomores should improve and we have some solid recruits coming in.

My bracket is in pretty solid shape right now. After a rough Day 2, I was a perfect 12/12 this weekend outside of the East region (where I was
0/4
). 6 of my Elite 8 are still alive, 3 of my Final 4.

I lost Nova out of my F4 teams, but I didn't have them going beyond that. Hoping I can get one more win out of WVU and Michigan.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan commit Isiah Livers was voted Mr Basketball today. He'll be the first Mr Basketball from the state of Michigan of the Beilein era. We have had two Ohio Mr Basketball's though.

nillapuddin

Completely unimpressed?

if you watched the game, you would know what I meant. He didnt look good.
I did not say its indicative of his true skill or potential, I just said, at the time.

Toughest places to play? Rupp ain't even in the top 5 in that regard.

Ball had a very good second half but was terrible in the first half. Fox outplayed him overall. That doesn't matter though because UK couldn't stop the other guys and won't be able to again.

Yeah, as much as Rupp means to UK fans, not in the top 5 of places to play.

Your latter point remains. As Ive said in this thread.

I will say, I do not expect to win, but I do feel confident they can win. I think UK defense has improved more than their offense has receded.

(I have no bearing on ucla improvements/deficiencies since we played last)

Willis and Hawkins are playing the best of their careers, and overall the effort has gone up noticeably. Again, not saying we will shut em down or anything, I just think they can actually capable of getting a stop now and again.

I think the game will be very similar to the first meeting, both teams go on runs where they are unstoppable, and it will be down to the wire.

*Bam missed atleast 7 shots from literal inches away from the hoop last time, I don't believe that will happen again.

Haven't really kept up with Florida basketball lately but pretty proud that they've made it to the Sweet 16! Considering the bracket shakeups last week, do they actually have a legit chance of winning? Pretty amazing

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Haven't really kept up with Florida basketball lately but pretty proud that they've made it to the Sweet 16! Considering the bracket shakeups last week, do they actually have a legit chance of winning? Pretty amazing

Probably still a Longshot to win it all but their chances of getting to the Final Four got a lot better.

I'm going early and saying GG's to Kentucky Gaf. Lonzo 's dad spitting too much nonsense. Calipari ia going to get them to beat us by 30

I'm going early and saying GG's to Kentucky Gaf. Lonzo 's dad spitting too much nonsense. Calipari ia going to get them to beat us by 30

I replaced all my UCLA gear with Big Baller Brand merchandise.

Tore up my diploma, and created a new one:

B.S. (Baller Shotcaller) in Big Ballin' from the School of Hard Balls.

Minor in marketing.

Believe.

nillapuddin

wait, what?

lavar talking trash is gunna make ucla play better and be us by 30?

Wouldnt it be reversed? I think this is a team that needs trash talk, I hope it gets them ready.

This is a coin-flip game no matter what* if everyone is being honest.

*Monk is shooting 19% 3pt since the last game of reg season, unless he goes back to normal Monk we lose by double digits

@UCLA Gaf, nobody likes lavar right? like, is he incredibly annoying to you guys too?

No one cares about Lonzo's dad. I'm still afraid of UCLA ending this one in the first half.

Edit: Come on West Virginia, Arizona, Kansas, Oregon.

Fjordson

wait, what?

lavar talking trash is gunna make ucla play better and be us by 30?

Wouldnt it be reversed? I think this is a team that needs trash talk, I hope it gets them ready.

This is a coin-flip game no matter what* if everyone is being honest.

*Monk is shooting 19% 3pt since the last game of reg season, unless he goes back to normal Monk we lose by double digits

@UCLA Gaf, nobody likes lavar right? like, is he incredibly annoying to you guys too?
sf2 is a UCLA fan. He's saying Calipari will have them (UK) beating us (UCLA) by 30.

Not really. None of the ill will people have towards him has translated to UCLA or its players. Everyone really likes Lonzo, and he's playing awesome right now so who cares what his dad says.

Plus, I'm all for dad trying to make money for his family off this exposure. UCLA, the NCAA, ESPN and everyone else is, so why not him? I don't think all this exposure is gonna necessarily translate to money, but whatever. He's good for a laugh.

nillapuddin

sf2 is a UCLA fan. He's saying Calipari will have them (UK) beating us (UCLA) by 30.

ooohh, yeah see that makes sense, that was really confusing to read the first time. thanks

Not really. None of the ill will people have towards him has translated to UCLA or its players. Everyone really likes Lonzo, and he's playing awesome right now so who cares what his dad says.

Plus, I'm all for dad trying to make money for his family off this exposure. UCLA, the NCAA, ESPN and everyone else is, so why not him? I don't think all this exposure is gonna necessarily translate to money, but whatever. He's good for a laugh.

thats fair, just the whole "all my kids drive 100K cars" and when lamelo is 16 he will get one too, etc, etc. Just seems a bit too much for me personally.

edit: basically this also (which I had never seen in such detail before but kinda heard)

ooohh, yeah see that makes sense, that was really confusing to read the first time. thanks

thats fair, just the whole "all my kids drive 100K cars" and when lamelo is 16 he will get one too, etc, etc. Just seems a bit too much for me personally.

edit: basically this also (which I had never seen in such detail before but kinda heard)

Ugh, I hadn't seen that story before and obviously makes me like Lavar less. From all I've seen he hasn't tried that shit at UCLA for obvious reasons (UCLA could always just pull their offers for his other sons I'm guessing, not like their recruiting is suffering), and I haven't heard him badmouth UCLA or Alford after any loss.

I guess I'm not surprised he's that kind of sports dad. As long as he stays away from criticizing any other player or coach on the team, then I guess I'll tolerate him.

Has anyone commented on the fact that the black guy that was sitting next to the white guy that couldn't stop talking has left and the whit guy looks really anxious that he can't talk to someone?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
WVU really out of sync on offense, but all tied up at 30 at the half. Offense rebounds keeping us in the game, got to stop missing layups and bunnies though.

Bodes well if we can get it together. Already seemed that our D was starting to wear Gonzaga down.

Refs need to chill on the fouls though. Several questionable calls both ways killing the flow of the game.

Kevtones

Dillon Brooks being a shadow right now. Dude needs to show up. Doesn't help Michigan made 6 in a row.

Weird game. Feels like Oregon should be up by double digits.

Yeah, we're down one of our better players but no excuses. We've stilly played pretty poorly and are only down 1 point. Think we can close well as long as Michigan doesn't hit a bunch of 3s.

bgbball31

Michigan being this close while Wagner is having a horrible game, and now sitting with what I assume is a wrist injury, is pretty impressive. Yes, I know Oregon is down one of their better players, but think about where this Michigan team was a month or so ago.

Now they just need to finish here! Go Blue!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, that was a good look for the win for Michigan. Just left it short.

Yeah, it was a 3 down 1, but he started a drive and pulled back when there wasn't a lane so a fine shot. A little surprised Oregon didn't use their fouls to give there.

Kevtones

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

LOVE MY DUCKS

spyder_ur

Late game coaching and execution is so bad in this tournament. Oregon not using their fouls. Yet another coach ending the game with a TO in his pocket.

Bell was a beast tonight.

Also they do such a good job with the way they stagger these games. Perfect timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom