• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Madness 2017 |OT| The Committee Doesn't Know What They're Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nillapuddin

final box
im out
box2.jpg

-10 rebounds

I missed the game but caught the end bit off Twitter

NCAA tourney still has the hype, fuckin A

Dude from Kentucky got hosed though, his shot was tough as fuck and the white dude just erased him from history

Do you remember Sean Woods in '92? Seems to be the way of the world for the 'Cats.

MisterR

Maybe IU can get another big regular season win next season and finally get some more rings made for their players.

nillapuddin

IU reaching, wow.

UK been to 5 E8 in 8 years.

IU was last in E8.... oh yeah, 15 years ago.

What metric do you want to use to compare success?*

* not counting commemorative cereal boxes for regular season upsets

bgbball31

I had to watch the first half of the game on a cell phone because my in person fantasy baseball draft went long due to some uncontrollable circumstances, and my laptop died during it, then had the listen to the second half on the way home (2 hour drive from Columbus, where the draft was)

Completely worth it, though I'm probably lucky I didn't cause an accident going nuts when Carolina failed to get the ball in near the end, or going crazy when Maye hit that shot.

Go Heels!

Ambient80

If anyone cares for the Women's side of the tournament, Baylor was just upset by Miss St. Many believe Baylor was the only team who could knock off UCONN, so we'll see if UCONN can finish out and win their 5th straight.

Nothing stops this train.

If anyone cares for the Women's side of the tournament, Baylor was just upset by Miss St. Many believe Baylor was the only team who could knock off UCONN, so we'll see if UCONN can finish out and win their 5th straight.

Nothing stops this train.

Kentucky beat Miss St. at home, that game was awesome. I guess what I'm saying is, congrats Connecticut.

Ambient80

lol true. I find it funny how commentators particularly on ESPN are always "UCONN's domination is ruining the sport!" Sorry, but other teams need to git gud. Not UCONN's fault that no one can beat them. Everyone always think Baylor is gonna knock them off but they haven't made it past the E8 in like three years.

Karl2177

lol true. I find it funny how commentators particularly on ESPN are always "UCONN's domination is ruining the sport!" Sorry, but other teams need to git gud. Not UCONN's fault that no one can beat them. Everyone always think Baylor is gonna knock them off but they haven't made it past the E8 in like three years.
Eh. I agree with ESPN in this case. If you're being recruited by UConn women's basketball, why go anywhere else? You're going to the team that's going to win a championship. Sure it's not UConn's fault that no one can beat them, but why would I shell out money to watch a team lose to UConn? Even if the team manages to beat them, it only matters if it's in the tournament. I'll waste my time watching something only slightly more productive in playing video games or something.

Ambient80

Eh. I agree with ESPN in this case. If you're being recruited by UConn women's basketball, why go anywhere else? You're going to the team that's going to win a championship. Sure it's not UConn's fault that no one can beat them, but why would I shell out money to watch a team lose to UConn? Even if the team manages to beat them, it only matters if it's in the tournament. I'll waste my time watching something only slightly more productive in playing video games or something.

Right, but what their take usually entails is some sort of proposed NCAA legislation to somehow stifle UCONN and other teams like Baylor and Stanford (normally the top 3) because they're "too good". I won't deny that it can be boring to watch them win by 60 every game, but I don't think they should be directly or indirectly punished for it, either.

Kaibutsu

I was on a flight from Vegas to Charlotte for 90% of the game sitting next to a couple that went to the University of Kentucky (I'm a North Carolina grad) lol. I was able to watch the last few minutes of that game at an airport bar in Charlotte and man was it nuts

nillapuddin

OFFICIATING IS NOT WHY UK LOST AT ALL. WE WERE UP 5 WITH 4 MIN TO GO (IIRC)

THAT SAID...

No more John Higgins please.

excerpt:
"John Higgins is not good at his job.

In fact, John Higgins is terrible at his job.

Sunday night's regional final in Memphis further proved that Higgins, one of the most recognizable officials in college basketball, should not be allowed to call Kentucky games. He has been on the whistle in eight Kentucky games throughout his career, and Kentucky has been on the losing end of five of them. For a program that has won almost 80 percent of its games, there is something fishy about a 37.5 percent winning percentage under one referee.

Furthermore, John Calipari is 2-4 with the Wildcats when Higgins is on the floor, compared to Cal's 247-49 record in other games. Those four losses came against UConn in the 2011 Final Four, Wisconsin in the 2015 Final Four, UCLA at Rupp Arena back in December, and in Sunday night's heartbreaker against the Tar Heels. In the latter, Higgins was trending nationally on Twitter during the first half of the horribly-called game:"

.. much more, with examples and additional info from mike decoursey

"There were some curiosities, though, particularly with the first-half officiating. On three occasions, official John Higgins observed action and did not blow his whistle to call a foul on Kentucky until the outcome of the play turned in UK's favor."

Karl2177

OFFICIATING IS NOT WHY UK LOST AT ALL. WE WERE UP 5 WITH 4 MIN TO GO (IIRC)

THAT SAID...

No more John Higgins please.

excerpt:
"John Higgins is not good at his job.

In fact, John Higgins is terrible at his job.

Sunday night’s regional final in Memphis further proved that Higgins, one of the most recognizable officials in college basketball, should not be allowed to call Kentucky games. He has been on the whistle in eight Kentucky games throughout his career, and Kentucky has been on the losing end of five of them. For a program that has won almost 80 percent of its games, there is something fishy about a 37.5 percent winning percentage under one referee.

Furthermore, John Calipari is 2-4 with the Wildcats when Higgins is on the floor, compared to Cal’s 247-49 record in other games. Those four losses came against UConn in the 2011 Final Four, Wisconsin in the 2015 Final Four, UCLA at Rupp Arena back in December, and in Sunday night’s heartbreaker against the Tar Heels. In the latter, Higgins was trending nationally on Twitter during the first half of the horribly-called game:"

.. much more, with examples and additional info from mike decoursey

"There were some curiosities, though, particularly with the first-half officiating. On three occasions, official John Higgins observed action and did not blow his whistle to call a foul on Kentucky until the outcome of the play turned in UK’s favor."
Nobody can complain about Hollywood Higgins unless they are in the Big 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom