• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

WCW Bash at the Beach 2001
13,500 @ Long Beach Arena

Pre-Show: Cash v Fit Finlay
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Fit Finlay defeated Cash in 5:32 by pinfall with a Tombstone Piledriver. (D+)

Pre-Show: Air Raid v Jung Dragons
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Air Raid defeated Jung Dragons in 8:29 when Air Styles defeated Yun Yang by pinfall with a Styles Clash. (C-)

Pre-Show: Jason Jett v Kwee Kee
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Jason Jett defeated Kwee Wee in 7:37 by pinfall while using the ropes for leverage. (E+)

Pre-Show: Lance Storm v Lash LeRoux
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, Lance Storm defeated Lash LeRoux in 9:36 by pinfall. (D+)

Pre-Show: Hugh Morrus v Kanyon
In a match that had some good action and average heat, Kanyon defeated Hugh Morrus in 10:01 by pinfall. (D)

--

Show Start

Match: Jushin Liger v Crowbar
In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Jushin Liger defeated Crowbar in 9:43 by pinfall with a Liger Bomb. (C)

- Don Callis and Kevin Nash make their way to the ring together. Don Callis would like to introduce himself to the WCW fans all across the world. He introduces himself as the Owner of WCW, and CEO of Media Ventures Investor Group. He would like to formally introduce his new Consultant... Kevin Nash. Kevin Nash looks smug. He tells everyone how nobody knows wrestling like Kevin Nash knows wrestling. Nash says he's already informed Callis of people who can improve WCW. Nash makes The Cliq/Wolfpac sign. (D-)

- Sting can be seen watching the action unfold from the rafters above. There's no hint of what he's thinking (C+)

WCW Cruiserweight Title Match: Shannon Moore v Gregory Helms (c)
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, Gregory Helms defeated Shannon Moore in 11:34 by pinfall with a Vertebreaker. Gregory Helms makes defence number 4 of his WCW Cruiserweight title. (D+)

- Eric Bischoff makes his way to the ring. He apologises for getting in the way of the wrestling, but feels he needs to have a word. He begs Don Callis not to fall for Kevin Nash's antics, lies and politiks. Bischoff says that he sat and watched Kevin Nash ruin WCW for 18 months. He won't. He can't let it happen again. (E+)

- Sting is again watching, this time from above the entrance scaffolding. He's looking at Bischoff, it appears as though he's trying to weigh him up. (B-)

- A video plays recapping the on going encounters between KroniK and the Natural Born Thrillers. (D+)

Tag Title Match: KroniK v Natural Born Thrillers (c)
In a match that had some good action and average heat, KroniK defeated Natural Born Thrillers in 14:41 when Sean O'Haire was disqualified while fighting Bryan Clark. KroniK win the WCW World Tag Team titles. (C)

- Booker T is backstage. He's going to prove he's a fighting Champion, and hopes that Scott Steiner is prepared. Booker says that Steiner doesn't know just how much the WCW World Title means, Steiner doesn't know how much blood, sweat & tears Booker T has shed to win the title. He's not going to let go of it, not without a fight. (B-)

- A video plays recapping the past few weeks US Title Feud. It shows Billy Kidman laying down the rules to Buff Bagwell, Rey Misterio's mask footage hinting at the return. Johnny Swinger grabbing a victory against Buff Bagwell, with DDP asking for a title shot on Swinger's behalf. It ends with Rey Mistrio making his quick return and lightning fast match against Buff Bagwell. (D)

WCW US Title Match: Johnny Swinger v Rey Misterio Jr. v Billy Kidman
In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Billy Kidman defeated Johnny Swinger and Rey Misterio Jr. in 14:51 when Billy Kidman defeated Johnny Swinger by pinfall with a Shooting Star Press. Billy Kidman makes defence number 1 of his WCW United States Heavyweight title. (C+)

- Scott Steiner is backstage. He's shouting and raging. He says he'll show Booker T a fight. He says he'll show him more fights then Rocky v Ali. Darth Vader v The Terminator. Sonic v Mario. Scott Steiner is full of fight. So full of fight the fight is fighting to fight it's way out. He's going to out fight Booker T. (C+)

- A video recap retells the story between Booker T and Scott Steiner. It shows Steiner attacking Luger, Booker T telling the world he's a fighting champion. Lex Luger v Steiner and edits from various promos. (B-)

WCW World Heavyweight Title: Scott Steiner v Booker T (c)
In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Booker T defeated Scott Steiner in 19:34 by pinfall with a Missile Dropkick. During the match we also had Rick Steiner run in and attack Booker. Booker T makes defence number 2 of his WCW World Heavyweight title. (B-)

- It looks like the Steiner Brothers are going to get the advantage over Booker T. Rick Steiner has Booker pinned down, Steiner goes to lock in the Steiner Recliner when all of a sudden............ GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLDBERG! Goldberg has returned, he storms the ring and spears Scott Steiner! He turns and throws Rick Steiner out of the ring. He's going crazy! He stares down Booker T, before leaving snorting fire and all that Goldberg stuff. (C-)

Show End (B-)
PPV Buyrate: 0.93

Jushin Liger made a surprising unannounced return to WCW. This is the start of a trade partnership between WCW/NJPW and AJPW. The only condition is that NJPW wrestlers cannot compete against AJPW wrestlers on WCW shows. In return several workers were sent to NJPW (Ernest Miller, Kanyon, Konnan & Road Warrior Animal).
DDP worked well at ring side as Johnny Swinger's Mentor.
There are hints that WCW want to turn Page Face, but it doesn't seem the time is right. The fans are still too aware of his previous turn to Heel.
Scott Steiner was allowed to ab-lib for his promo, but it was terrible.
Booker T and Scott Steiner had great chemistry in the ring.
Goldberg's return was very underwhelming. It was somewhat dulled by Rick Steiner's poor reactions in the ring to Goldberg.
Overall the PPV could be considered a success. It was a solid show, with some great work from Scott Steiner and Booker T. WCW increased in popularity in 14 regions, but lost popularity in 2 other regions.
In some poor management, WCW Bash at the Beach aired at the same time against WWF Vengeance. Vengeance managed a buyrate of 5.21 in comparison. Steve Austin defeated Chris Jericho to retain the WWF World Heavyweight Title. Their show was rated only slightly better than WCW's.

Don Callis has hired Kevin Nash as his consultant. Will history repeat itself?
Sting continues to watch. Will he officially return?
Bischoff has warned Callis of the madness that can happen with Nash. Is Bischoff right? Or is he simply trying to trick Callis?
Goldberg has returned! What lies in store for Bill Goldberg?

Sabucin

Oh, I guess I can change my avatar now :D

Also:

tumblr_miwa3hHA3x1s37joxo1_500.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Which heels has he "screwed over" that haven't deserved it?

inb4heyman

Punk and Ziggler repeatedly by forcing Punk to wrestle in triple threats and defend his title against people who didn't earn it (Rock, Ryback, Cena) and Ziggler, by making him defend his MITB when no one else had to unless they chose to. He's also been quite the dick to the Mad Ox for no reason at all.

Of course only on Commentary (well, past 10 years at least) was just unsure cos HE NEARLY DIED!

They didn't show the DREADED PILEDRIVER on the highlight clips.

Tony says something about Guatemala, not Nicaragua being directly South of Mexico. That must have been a topical reference that makes no sense today. Otherwise that's a pretty random thing to say.

Stolen from another forum:

A guy named Steve Beverly used to run a newsletter called Matwatch. When Jim Herd ran WCW in the '80s he used to listen to Beverly for some reason. Beverly told him that Saturday Night would be better with only Jim Ross on the show. This made Schiavone quit in a huff and go to the WWF. Over ten years later, a friend of Beverly's was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and called Beverly for his phone a friend asking which country was directly south of Mexico. Beverly got it wrong, and Tony brought it up on Nitro.

Never piss off Tony Schiavone, folks!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

A guy named Steve Beverly used to run a newsletter called Matwatch. When Jim Herd ran WCW in the '80s he used to listen to Beverly for some reason. Beverly told him that Saturday Night would be better with only Jim Ross on the show. This made Schiavone quit in a huff and go to the WWF. Over ten years later, a friend of Beverly's was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and called Beverly for his phone a friend asking which country was directly south of Mexico. Beverly got it wrong, and Tony brought it up on Nitro.

Goddamn, that's a hellacious burn. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire was on then?

Cagey

Banned
Basically fans love Hunter now because he doesn't appear alot. He and Jericho are in the same boat. It would take alot now to make the crowd hate them. Thats why Jericho didn't turn heel and it seems they dumped his feud with Ryback and now going towards him facing Mark Henry.

I think fans love Hunter because of association with the legends (HBK, Rock, Austin, Foley, Undertaker, etc.) and a legendary time in pro wrestling (the Attitude Era).

He's popular because he was getting lots of air time then.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lawler makes every show he works now significantly worse. He's awful in every sense of the word. Why they're not replacing or at least shoving him away on the Superstars commentary team or something is beyond me.

Well dudes I'm off to AIW's Girls Night Out! I'm sure Bootaaay will let you know about the in ring action and I'll give the freak report when I get back home!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well dudes I'm off to AIW's Girls Night Out! I'm sure Bootaaay will let you know about the in ring action and I'll give the freak report when I get back home!

Bring a Bootaaay sign! Wait, don't do that at Girls Night Out.

Lawler makes every show he works now significantly worse. He's awful in every sense of the word. Why they're not replacing or at least shoving him away on the Superstars commentary team or something is beyond me.

If he got moved to Superstars it may mean Matt Striker on RAW which nobody wants.

thefro

Fuck it, this show was awesome. It was paced so well. Very little backstage stuff and it was all short and to the point. None of the matches were too long or too short. Only one big promo segment that people were hot for because the American Dweem. It's like a completely different group of people booked this how.

I think there was a booking shakeup around then and Johnny Ace/Terry Taylor/Kevin Sullivan/Jimmy Hart started booking everything (with some input from Bischoff). It's pretty much all solid to good shows from here on out if I remember correctly.

Also one of the Dusty/Flair segments popped a huge quarter-hour for Nitro around this time. I'm not sure if it was this show or the Donkey one on the 2nd to last Nitro, but everyone was like "holy shit, WCW did something that popped a rating". Was a lot of hope for the company at this point.

vlcsnap-2013-03-01-05h00m43s211_zpsd22218ab.png

I remember this. Crowbar had some kind of body oil on and it got in Lance's eye during a hold. He said it was swollen for a few days.

strobogo

Banned

That's fantastic. Tony was such a petty guy in the most ridiculous and awesome ways possible. Like making sure his chair was the highest on TV so everyone would know he was the lead guy.

Okay guys. I'm going to have a contest right here exclusively in the WrassleGAF thread. First person to make me a wrestling avatar wins absolutely nothing.

I remember Schiavone going off on a few people, don't recall Regal being part of his attacks though. What was said?

Regal did a taped promo with Vince talking about how dreadful WCW was. Schiavone went bananas when they came back to Nitro, talking about how WCW put up with "Steve Regal" while he was a drunk and hooked on pills. He also said Regal should be grateful WCW took him back in 1999 after Vince fired him in 1998 for "still being a drunk". He was shooting hard.

Kaladin

ARISE!!! ARISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!
v9Lp6N8.gif

That was a long two weeks, lets not do that again, ok?
LewX52o.jpg

But lets move on to the more important issue at hand.....
mOyiDTG.jpg

Wrestlemania. Are we hyped yet? It's that time of the year.....I sure hope there is hype because this year's Mania will be THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT!

Lx6wgYL.png

EPIC.

Hoarr

Neo Member
Regal did a taped promo with Vince talking about how dreadful WCW was. Schiavone went bananas when they came back to Nitro, talking about how WCW put up with "Steve Regal" while he was a drunk and hooked on pills. He also said Regal should be grateful WCW took him back in 1999 after Vince fired him in 1998 for "still being a drunk". He was shooting hard.

Ah, yes. That does ring a bell.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WELCOME BACK SANDMAN

and lol @ sabucin cluing me in to "Sand Man"

Top Bottom