• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Jamie OD

Almost forgot about ROH this weekend, the card looks pretty good, but I have no real interest in the main event and fear Lethal is going to win. Looking forward to Cole vs Taven, and Elgin vs Strong should be awesome. Hopefully this in the end of their feud, it's gone on way too long.

Looks like it is just going to be something for ROH to occupy themselves with before Mania weekend. I don't think Jay will win the title.

Anyone have that Rainmaker Okada gif where he does his pose in the ring and the camera zooms out? If you know what I am talking about, then post it please!

iPPV line-up for WrestleMania weekend;

EVOLVE - Friday, April 5th - 4pm
-The Young Bucks vs. The Super Smash Brothers
-One day tournament to crown the first ever EVOLVE Champion with:
Bracket A:
-First Round Match - Four Way Freestyle: #5 Rich Swann (3-2) vs. #6 Samuray Del Sol (2-3) vs. #7 Sami Callihan (3-7) vs. #8 Jigsaw (1-3)
-Semi-Final: #1 Chuck Taylor vs. Winner Of First Round Match
Bracket B:
-First Round Match: #3 AR Fox (7-6) vs. #4 Jon Davis (5-4)
-Semi-Final: #2 Ricochet vs. Winner Of First Round Match
-Tournament Finals To Crown The First EVOLVE Champion: Bracket A Winner vs. Bracket B Winner
-Plus more to be signed with: Open The Freedom Gate Champion Johnny Gargano, Brian Kendrick, Uhaa Nation, Arik Cannon, Orange Cassidy, Drew Gulak, The Scene & others!

Ring of Honor - Supercard of Honor VII - Friday, April 5th - 7:30pm
Matches & Talent TBA

Combat Zone Wrestling - Friday, April 5th - 8pm
-Masada vs. Jun Kasai
-Greg Excellent vs. Colt Cabana
-Aerial Assault: Shane Strickland vs. AR Fox vs. Rich Swann vs. Chiva Kid vs. MK Mkinnan plus others to be announced!
-Tommy End & Michael Donte vs. Jake & Dave Crist
-Plus more matches will be announced!!!

Kaiju Big Battel - Friday, April 5th - 11:55pm
It's a modern conflict of epic proportions! Evil villains, menacing alien beasts, and giant, city-crushing monsters threaten to destroy the planet Earth. Who will save the helpless humans from total ruin? The Heroes, of course (and the Heroines too!) A few privileged humans also get in on the action, as they try to contain danger within the three-roped arena of Kaiju Big Battel. Monsters are real, and danger can happen!

SHIMMER - Volume 53 - Saturday, April 6th - 12pm
-SHIMMER Championship Steel Cage Match: (Champion) Saraya Knight vs. Cheerleader Melissa
-Ayako Hamada vs. "The Wrestling Goddess" Athena
-Madison Eagles vs. "Everybody's Favorite Girlfriend" Jessie McKay
-Amazing Kong vs. Mia Yim
-Plus more to be signed with: SHIMMER Tag Team Champions "The Canadian Ninjas" Portia Perez & Nicole Matthews, Serena Deeb, "The World Famous" Kana, "Latina Sensation" Mercedes Martinez, Christina Von Eerie, Evie, "Made In Sin" Taylor Made & Allysin Kay, Rhia O'Reilly & others!

CHIKARA - The Shoulder of Pallas - Saturday, April 6th - 4pm
CHIKARA will announce talent and matches starting next week.

Dragon Gate USA - Saturday, April 6th - 8pm
-Open The Freedom Gate Title Match: Johnny Gargano defends vs. Shingo
-Open The United Gate Title Match: CIMA & AR Fox defend vs. The Young Bucks
-Akira Tozawa vs. Ricochet
-Sami Callihan vs. Uhaa Nation
-Brian Kendrick vs. Rich Swann
-Jon Davis vs. Samuray Del Sol
-Six Way Freestyle: Chuck Taylor vs. Arik Cannon vs. Jigsaw vs. Tony Nese vs. Fire Ant vs. Shane Strickland
-Plus more to be signed with: The Super Smash Brothers, EITA, The Scene & others!

$5 Wrestling- Saturday, April 6th - 11:55pm
5 Dollar Wrestling comes to New Jersey for another special edition taping of "5 Dollar Wrestling LIVE!" These fan interactive events feature the hosts of 5 Dollar Wresting, Colt Cabana & Marty DeRosa, calling the action LIVE in front of YOU and the throngs of other 5 Dollar Fanatics! Plus back by popular demand, the star of 5 Dollar Wrestling.... FREIGHT TRAIN will be live and in person! You never know just what Freight Train might say when he's handed the microphone!

Dragon Gate USA - Sunday, April 7th - 1pm
-The Six Man Tradition Continues: CIMA's Team vs. Johnny Gargano's Team
-Shingo vs. Akira Tozawa
-Ladders Are Legal High-Flyers FRAY!: Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, Samuray Del Sol, Facade with more to be added!!!
-Brian Kendrick vs. Chuck Taylor
-The Super Smash Brothers vs. Sami Callihan & Arik Cannon
-Plus more to be signed with: Ricochet, AR Fox, Jon Davis, Rich Swann, Uhaa Nation, Christina Von Eerie, EITA, The Scene, Tony Nese & others!

Looks like it is just going to be something for ROH to occupy themselves with before Mania weekend. I don't think Jay will win the title.

I hope not, as I haven't liked anything about his recent run. The booking has been all over the place, understandably, but I find it disconcerting that ROH are building Lethal as one of their top faces.

FallingEdge said:
Anyone have that Rainmaker Okada gif where he does his pose in the ring and the camera zooms out? If you know what I am talking about, then post it please!

Hmm, can't seem to find it - have this one instead;

iHkflTCbXXJS1.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
You know what guys, I hope Christian returns to team with Orton and Sheamus against the shield at Mania.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bootaaay the time zone is free! You can go to a Zandig avatar now, thanks

And ROH has just been boring for the past few years. So much better wrestling out there.

There have been a few high points, namely anything involving Generico & Steen, plus Adam Cole & Michael Elgin breaking out has helped things, but while the wrestling is fine the promotion is suffering from a lack of character, imo, and just seems lacklustre in comparison to its rivals. That's not to say DGUSA have been perfect either, but even with their failings I find there's just generally more to enjoy.

Rainmaker!

That's the one, added to the collection. Love Gedo there, he makes that .gif.

Sunflower said:
Bootaaay the time zone is free! You can go to a Zandig avatar now, thanks

Yeah, I'll get to it soon enough. Not sure if I want a Zandig one, or if I should go for something a bit more understated after a few weeks of Big Paul's gormless mug grinning at me.

There have been a few high points, namely anything involving Generico & Steen, plus Adam Cole & Michael Elgin breaking out has helped things, but while the wrestling is fine the promotion is suffering from a lack of character, imo, and just seems lacklustre in comparison to its rivals. That's not to say DGUSA have been perfect either, but even with their failings I find there's just generally more to enjoy.

My problem is that there are other companies that do what ROH is trying to do but they do it a lot better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I rewatched New Beginning and I'm still baffled how they jobbed Okada out. :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
$5 Wrestling- Saturday, April 6th - 11:55pm
5 Dollar Wrestling comes to New Jersey for another special edition taping of "5 Dollar Wrestling LIVE!" These fan interactive events feature the hosts of 5 Dollar Wresting, Colt Cabana & Marty DeRosa, calling the action LIVE in front of YOU and the throngs of other 5 Dollar Fanatics! Plus back by popular demand, the star of 5 Dollar Wrestling.... FREIGHT TRAIN will be live and in person! You never know just what Freight Train might say when he's handed the microphone!

Exciting. I can't wait for this show, I've finally convinced my friends to watch this weekend with me. We usually hang out on Saturday evenings, and they're not really wrestling fans but will watch.

About to start watching ECW Hardcore TV from the very beginning in 1993. Would anyone be interested in reading some write-up's? I can't promise they'll be anywhere near as entertaining as WCW circa 1999-2001, though.

I rewatched New Beginning and I'm still baffled how they jobbed Okada out. :/

I knew he'd win because when Okada agreed to the match he said Suzuki-gun would have to disband if Suzuki lost. I loved the match though, fantastic stuff and a good reminder that Suzuki's still on the same level as Okada & Tanahashi. Also, it keeps the feud going (they've got a 4 vs 4 elimination match at the Anniversary Show) and provides fuel for any potential Okada/Nakamura feud in the future, as Suzuki said he would only face the leader of CHAOS and Okada stepped up but couldn't get the job done.

Sunflower said:
Exciting. I can't wait for this show, I've finally convinced my friends to watch this weekend with me. We usually hang out on Saturday evenings, and they're not really wrestling fans but will watch.

I'll have to catch that one on replay, but it should be an awesome show. CHOO CHOO!! I tried to show a few of my friends $5 wrestling, but they liked it less than normal wrestling, lol.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
About to start watching ECW Hardcore TV from the very beginning in 1993. Would anyone be interested in reading some write-up's? I can't promise they'll be anywhere near as entertaining as WCW circa 1999-2001, though.

I knew he'd win because when Okada agreed to the match he said Suzuki-gun would have to disband if Suzuki lost. I loved the match though, fantastic stuff and a good reminder that Suzuki's still on the same level as Okada & Tanahashi. Also, it keeps the feud going (they've got a 4 vs 4 elimination match at the Anniversary Show) and provides fuel for any potential Okada/Nakamura feud in the future, as Suzuki said he would only face the leader of CHAOS and Okada stepped up but couldn't get the job done.

First up - yes I would be interested in recaps. Maybe making a tumblr for them much like Strobogo did would be best as well, so that way you don't just post it in here and it's lost in the aether.

Second - I missed a lot of that story due to the language barrier. Having it in proper context goes a long way. I guess that's something I gotta deal with...and your summary makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Was a good match though. Real good.

Gonna watch Fantasticamania today at work if I'm able to. I doubt I'm able to :(

Fist of the North Star is my favourite anime of all time, so yeah, definitely worth it. Actually, it's probably tied with Mushishi as my favourite, but they're so entirely different it's not really fair to compare.

I missed a lot of that story due to the language barrier. Having it in proper context goes a long way. I guess that's something I gotta deal with...and your summary makes a hell of a lot more sense.

I'm mostly getting the information from this Japanese fan's blog;

http://blog.livedoor.jp/hbkidcool/

Enuhito does a good job of translating a lot of the stuff like press conferences, twitter posts and newspaper articles that, without speaking Japanese, I'd totally miss out on.

Sunflower said:
Gonna watch Fantasticamania today at work if I'm able to. I doubt I'm able to :(

Ah, shit, that reminds me I still haven't watched Nakamura vs La Sombra from night 2. Gotta rectify that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fist of the North Star is my favourite anime of all time, so yeah, definitely worth it. Actually, it's probably tied with Mushishi as my favourite, but they're so entirely different it's not really fair to compare.

I'm mostly getting the information from this Japanese fan's blog;

http://blog.livedoor.jp/hbkidcool/

Enuhito does a good job of translating a lot of the stuff like press conferences, twitter posts and newspaper articles that, without speaking Japanese, I'd totally miss out on.

Ah, shit, that reminds me I still haven't watched Nakamura vs La Sombra from night 2. Gotta rectify that.

This is REALLY helpful, thank you.

Also Fist of the North Star pretty much never jumps the shark, so watch the whole thing.

Pavaloo

Alright I think I might want to start looking into some good NJPW matches, I've never seen on before. Anyone have any recommendations?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I think I might want to start looking into some good NJPW matches, I've never seen on before. Anyone have any recommendations?

Start with something very fresh and new!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx...nderson-njpw_sport?search_algo=2#.UTEGRVfogdc

One of the best matches this year so far.

I really want to see the Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask series. They talk about it on the Dynamite Documentary and it seems amazing.

Oh god they're SO good together, it's so goddamn exciting.

Changed my avatar finally and made a bunch more from Rob Schamberger's Wrestling Champions series, if anyone wants one;

ibf0VonayVEUNn.jpg
ipHBNhT8TZEbY.jpg
i4uMNAg2SMqPy.jpg
iplLEY6MknfOy.jpg
iWWoHkNLWRv6W.jpg

iInjN7ZwClMIT.jpg
iy3wZpUKfeJek.jpg
iV0c9Cfpn6Rk0.jpg
iV3zIig9lEUbr.jpg
iTO9E7PnG3tRp.jpg

ittMLnKcBiYBd.jpg
iZqVFb0BTrgnh.jpg
i8TqyCFjWLEl5.jpg
ibrVkxj5SdgcqJ.jpg
ibffGJfFmeXVOp.jpg

Feel free to claim any of them.

Mr. Luchadore said:
I really want to see the Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask series. They talk about it on the Dynamite Documentary and it seems amazing.

Here's 7 matches in one playlist;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_P6XAB7gY8&list=PL41622D69A4100E07

Pavaloo said:

Here's a couple of awesome matches from the last iPPV;

Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki - (NJPW 02/10/13)

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Karl Anderson - (NJPW 02/10/13)

It baffles me how short sighted such a huge company seemingly is. They're concentrating all their effort (and this is a multimillion dollar global company, with a Creative boasting dozens of writers) on their WM rematches of Twice In a Lifetime and Gotta, Quite Frankly, Get My Win Back, even though Rock, HHH AND Lesnar will not be regulars on the roster from the next night on, and Cena has no opponents or storylines left for him to do at the top. What are they planning to do AFTER Wrestlemania?

You can't tell some of your writers, come up with a WM story for the US, IC and Divas titles using *these wrestlers*, as long as they only take a segment a week on RAW, nothing crazy. It's not bloody difficult, I could probably throw out those stories and I'm not a writer who exclusively writes for the WWE product all week.

How do you need two dozen writers to say "everyone has matches or something, Cena does a promo as the main event"?

Because of Vince. Always has been, always will be. Why do people keep asking when they already know the answer?

What are they planning to do AFTER Wrestlemania?

CM Punk: "The fact is, John, you never beat me when the gold was on the line. You just couldn't get the job done and it'll be the same story at Extreme Rules in three weeks time when I take back MY title and there's gonna be NOTHING you can do about it."

*three weeks later*

Michael Cole: "John Cena somehow overcame insurmountable odds and remains WWE Champion!"

They make so much money off WM they could live off it for a year. The point of WM is to sell a million PPVs to a bunch of people who don't buy PPVs. The undercard doesn't matter in the slightest. All they care about is the big 2-3 matches that will draw money. A well built US Title match between two nobodies isn't going to make a difference.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They make so much money off WM they could live off it for a year. The point of WM is to sell a million PPVs to a bunch of people who don't buy PPVs. The undercard doesn't matter in the slightest. All they care about is the big 2-3 matches that will draw money. A well built US Title match between two nobodies isn't going to make a difference.

Yeah. And it's hard for them to be motivated to build to it when all the tickets have been sold and there's a pretty diehard Mania audience. I mean, don't get me wrong - obviously they WANT to have a good build and rope in even more people, but a lot of this is guaranteed money.

Bootaaay's ideal avatar would actually drip blood.

somedevil

CM Punk: "The fact is, John, you never beat me when the gold was on the line. You just couldn't get the job done and it'll be the same story at Extreme Rules in three weeks time when I take back MY title and there's gonna be NOTHING you can do about it."

*three weeks later*

Michael Cole: "John Cena somehow overcame insurmountable odds and remains WWE Champion!"

Vince doesn't want anymore Punk or Cena matches for the time being. So that match this monday was a blow off for awhile.

The do have people that haven't really feuded with Cena. Daniel Bryan seems be gearing towards another single run. Also Ryback if they turn him heel or a face versus face feud.

Yeah. And it's hard for them to be motivated to build to it when all the tickets have been sold and there's a pretty diehard Mania audience. I mean, don't get me wrong - obviously they WANT to have a good build and rope in even more people, but a lot of this is guaranteed money.

Bootaaay's ideal avatar would actually drip blood.

I think they're scared to death of having midcard feuds getting promo time on Raw because they assume they'll lose a ton of viewers. That's why everything feels so focused on the same old main events and main event guys. In the Attitude era you could do angles with Hardcore Holly and Chyna and Jeff Jarrett and there was less of an issue.

It's a chicken/egg thing where they won't give anyone time to get over cos they're not over.

Top Bottom