• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I miss the photography, to be honest. It's neat seeing photographers in NJPW being such a big part of the atmosphere.

I miss the photography, to be honest. It's neat seeing photographers in NJPW being such a big part of the atmosphere.

I loved it when ROH would bring in Japanese wrestlers, the Japanese press would always send their photographers without fail - definitely made the matches seem all that more special with them crowded around ringside. Also, I remember one nearly getting squashed by Samoa Joe, lol.

Incidentally, I'm running a random wrasslin' stream; http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#5142d2606ca91 - Chris Hero vs Joey Ryan, at the moment, New Japan Wrestling World '96 coming up :)

Aiii

So not worth it
There's entirely too much pointing to the WrestleMania sign going on nowadays.

We get it, you have a match at WrestleMania. We get it, WrestleMania is coming up. There is really no need to point at the WrestleMania sign while the camera takes a low angle so both wrestler and sign are nicely aligned in one shot. WE GET IT!

Wow these are all over the place, lots of neat stuff. I will be up at 1:48am to catch the Memphis show. :D

That one's a couple of hours earlier now, Veetle didn't like the NJPW Wrestling World 1996 show for some reason, which is a shame as Vader vs Inoki is all kinds of awesome. I'll chuck some more Memphis in there and a few more Clash of the Champions.

strobogo

Banned
Oh man, I downloaded 1996 Raw, and I'm not going to do reviews, but I will do pictures and gifs. It's THE RAAAAAWWW BOWL! So fucking goofy. Everyone in short football jerseys, the ring mat being green with yard lines on it, Savio Vega's jersey numbering being "Uno", Earl dressed as a football ref, and Vince/King speaking exclusively in football puns. A Penn State reference from Jerry Lawler, which is hilarious in hindsight.

I also forgot that the Huckster and Nacho Man started before WM12. Those skits are awful. This show screams of a young Russo. And during the whole Raw Bowl, Brother Love was giving a pre match pep talk to an empty locker room since everyone left, but since he had his eyes closed, he didn't realize everyone left and started the match. Each team had a time out, there was a marching band in the audience. This is so goofy. Looking back, I can't believe anyone bought that Yoko was Japanese.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That one's a couple of hours earlier now, Veetle didn't like the NJPW Wrestling World 1996 show for some reason, which is a shame as Vader vs Inoki is all kinds of awesome. I'll chuck some more Memphis in there and a few more Clash of the Champions.

Aww, but Wrestling World 1996 looked amazing ;(

Oh man, I downloaded 1996 Raw, and I'm not going to do reviews, but I will do pictures and gifs. It's THE RAAAAAWWW BOWL! So fucking goofy. Everyone in short football jerseys, the ring mat being green with yard lines on it, Savio Vega's jersey numbering being "Uno", Earl dressed as a football ref, and Vince/King speaking exclusively in football puns. A Penn State reference from Jerry Lawler, which is hilarious in hindsight.

I also forgot that the Huckster and Nacho Man started before WM12. Those skits are awful. This show screams of a young Russo. And during the whole Raw Bowl, Brother Love was giving a pre match pep talk to an empty locker room since everyone left, but since he had his eyes closed, he didn't realize everyone left and started the match. Each team had a time out, there was a marching band in the audience. This is so goofy. Looking back, I can't believe anyone bought that Yoko was Japanese.

God. Raw 1996. Definitely a low point.

strobogo

Banned
Oh man, Dandy Doc Hendrix and Jumbo Jim Ross as sideline reporters. Then they cut to the hog pen match, which has nothing to do with this show, and didn't even mention they were cutting to it. Oh boy, Diesel vs Mable, tonight!

Aiii

So not worth it
Following up on our report from earlier this week regarding Rob Van Dam’s TNA contract status, we can confirm that his TNA deal expired last week. TNA is in talks with RVD about returning to the company, but he is currently a free agent.

So, what do we think is next for RVD? Ring of Honor?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man as much as I want to sit here at work and watch Bootaaay's stream, since I mostly can only listen to it and occasionally glimpse, it isn't delivering much for me in my particular situation. :/ I wish I wasn't at work!

I am going to see some local wrestling tonight for what it's worth. Don't know if Mechashiva is working the show though.

strobogo

Banned
Lol, Diesel beat Mable in 10 seconds with a big boot, thankfully. King has spent this entire show hitting on a homecoming queen or something. Diesel walks off with her. The Brooklyn Brawler presented the Lombardi trophy, which was a cardboard cut out of himself inside a little trophy cup.

VADER IS COMING TO THE RUMBLE! Also hyped up in the Rumble, Barry Horrowitz, Dory Funk Jr., Tatanka, Bam Bam Big Yellow.

slem.gif

Wow, that ring mat is horrid - lol, Brawler.

Man as much as I want to sit here at work and watch Bootaaay's stream, since I mostly can only listen to it and occasionally glimpse, it isn't delivering much for me in my particular situation. :/ I wish I wasn't at work!

Yeah, Japanese wrestling isn't exactly easy to follow by commentary alone, lol - it'll switch over to American stuff in an hour or so.

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Apollo Sugawara was fun, love watching Fujiwara work - Naoki Sano vs Masakatsu Funaki's on now, proper shoot-style classic, and then there's Kitao shooting on John Tenta, lol, plus Macho Man vs Tenryu!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Lol, Diesel beat Mable in 10 seconds with a big boot, thankfully. King has spent this entire show hitting on a homecoming queen or something. Diesel walks off with her. The Brooklyn Brawler presented the Lombardi trophy, which was a cardboard cut out of himself inside a little trophy cup.

VADER IS COMING TO THE RUMBLE! Also hyped up in the Rumble, Barry Horrowitz, Dory Funk Jr., Tatanka, Bam Bam Big Yellow.

slem.gif

What in the fuck?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, this is the Sable/Tori match which is one of the worst matches of all time. Make sure you tune in for this shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mean Street Posse are SO good at this point. Perfect.

Aiii

So not worth it
A package for the European title match that had weeks of build? Yuck, nobody cares about those jobbers or those belts. Where's Cena?

Fuck that! Must point at WrestleMania sign! Who has time for promo's and storylines anyway?!

IT'S IN NEW YORK THIS YEAR, WRESTLEMANIA! YEAH!

Anth0ny

Yeah, Mania 15 was pretty fuckin shitty, especially considering it was arguably the peak of the Attitude Era.

Sable/Tori was hilariously bad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Mania 15 was pretty fuckin shitty, especially considering it was arguably the peak of the Attitude Era.

Attitude Era was mostly style, and very little substance. It's REALLY apparent watching 15 - but some of these finishes, even for Mania, are absolutely horrible. At the time, people didn't care because while there were no decisions wrapped up, it DID forward their stories.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
accept the lord of darkness as your savior

this is the edited version

no bossman ending :\

Penguin

Kind of ironic because I consider WrestleMAnia 17 the end of the era, and by far the best Mania.

But yeah this PPV... argh

Top Bottom