• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Edot: New, unremarkable page.
vcaqu89.jpg

I'M TALKING ABOUT KARL ANDERSON DAMMIT

Now pretend you are firing a shotgun and you'll have our attention.

Or perhaps just find a good Bad Intentions match off Daily Motion to share with everyone wh or don't know how good he and Giant Bernard/Albert/Tensai really is.

lol. Anderson has managed to get worse and worse to the point where I'd wholeheartedly say Miz is better than him in every category, and I think Miz is worse and less interesting to watch than someone like Khali.

That's rather disappointing. He got the screaming of his name like a Pokemon over with the crowd and I remember he could pull off some great moves during Money in the Bank and random tag teams he was thrown in, so there was at least potential. Oh well, it's not like I have to pay attention to him in TNA.

Serena in TNA's Knockouts thing makes me think she'd fit with Bully real well if she shaved her head again.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbq8i5CH6J1rxy1koo1_500.png[/]
better than most of A&8's at least.[/QUOTE]

TNA may have better matches than WWE for women's wrestling, but like hell if I want anyone to actually join that company with how little they get paid for all the poor decisions made toward their matches. I already fear for the Blossom Twins, I wouldn't want to add Serena to it as well.

Entropia

No One Remembers
PREACH

To add more, though...I always felt the same way. DX was the WWF Kliq convincing Vince that they needed a "rebellious" group.

They made jokes that were too juvenile for me, and I was in middle school at the time. I did LOVE the New Age Outlaws though...they had the charisma that the "main duo" didn't.

I never thought HHH was interesting, and besides thinking I was "growing out of wrestling," his later success was a large part of why I abandoned watching for quite some time.

Paul Levesque has always been a cornball to me. Always.

Exactly. He was such a try hard.

Watched this week's ROH - the American Wolves vs ACH & Tadarius Thomas was great fun, real nice tag match.

New, unremarkable page.
vcaqu89.jpg

All Ego! Ethan Page is officially on my list of "dudes who might be the next big thing in indy wrestling" (I need to find a snappier title).

iY3u8foK2Bk58.gif
ibsH7VrEw3OUIK.gif

I'll always be disappointed by Ken Kennedy/Anderson, I marked for that guy, one of the few people during the "Batista years" of Smackdown that I really enjoyed. He wasn't the greatest of in ring performers and his mic work while solid wasn't exactly ground breaking heel work but he had something.
I don't know, it was like he had the actual heel mannerisms down very well, the small heelish things he'd do in the actual matches, the cocky brashness with the ability to back it up, people ate up his entrance, as JBL would say the fastest rising star on Smackdown as also shown by WWE having enough faith to give him the MitB win.

Of course it all went downhill, an incorrect injury diagnosis had him surrender the briefcase even though he was out for like just two months in the end, he missed his chance to cash in on Taker and cement his place on the card. From there it just got worse and worse and this time he was to blame, he was thrown on Raw and looked to be the conclusion to the whole Vince's illegitimate son storyline but he cocked up with a wellness policy violation, then he returned and ended Cena's run of terror for a brief period with a botched hip toss I think, great for us who were tired of Cena, not so great for his standing in the company i'll bet.
Filmed a crappy movie, had an awful face turn demolishing what was entertaining about him, injured again, returned, got Orton'd as soon as he came back, WWE career over.
It was a pretty iffy backdrop but I feel it was a bit much to future endeavour him for, the combined Golden Boy powers of Cena and Orton is probably unstoppable, you botch with them and it's over (see also: STUPID! STUPID!).

Whatever he had during his 2006-2007 run in WWE he seemed to have lost entirely by this point leading to his TNA run that even if gave no fucks about, ah, I had such high hopes for the guy.
I'll always have that one match at the RR where the fans turned on Batista to cheer for him though.

WWE is planning on releasing Rey Mysterio, but are still trying to negotiate some kind of deal where they can retain merchandising rights. That doesn't seem likely since they don't own the "Rey Mysterio" trademark.

Kaladin

WWE is planning on releasing Rey Mysterio, but are still trying to negotiate some kind of deal where they can retain merchandising rights. That doesn't seem likely since they don't own the "Rey Mysterio" trademark.

I guess we know who the next member of Aces and Eights is.

strobogo

Banned

Hopefully he does a big match in Mexico and retires. He's needed to hang it up for a long time. I'm sure he'd be injured in the first A8 beat down.

Gross, the GOOOOOONN!! Austin is on color shitting on the Lex Express and wondering why Vince doesn't give him a school bus so instead of shaking hands and kissing babies, he can whoop everybody's ass.

Finally caught up with NXT. Its crazy that the most over person is Paige. Glad they are hiring old divas so if they decide to go with her she can go through all of them. Bray Wyatt is great way better than his brother, hopefully they can look past his weight and give him another chance. He's got the best theme on NXT . Its hilarious that they obviously believe in Neville but his partner is so bland and boring the tag titles are pretty much a belt for him to carry so he looks important. Mason Ryan looks ridiculously ripped too, he has to be on something.

Emma is easily one of my favorites as well her gimmick is great. Get this dance going at Wrestlemania 30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUolnV_ERA
tumblr_mjq1wsm1Tm1rt4k5qo3_250.gif

tumblr_mjq1wsm1Tm1rt4k5qo4_250.gif

tumblr_mjq1wsm1Tm1rt4k5qo6_250.gif

There are some downsides Big E, Graves, and the last remaining Ascension guy are so boring in and out of the ring.

Aiii

So not worth it
Jersey Girl April Mendez brings her vengeful alter ego to WrestleMania at MetLife Stadium this month. Even at age 12, April Mendez wanted to be a superhero. It was an unlikely goal for a petite preteen, growing up rail-thin and poor in Hudson County. Today Mendez, 25, is living her dream through an alter ego, A.J. Lee, a comic book-like character who has vamped, leg locked and lip smacked her way to superstardom as a professional wrestler.

“From a young age, I felt like I was supposed to be the sort of female who is doing something strong,” says Mendez, who in 2009 joined the roster of the multimedia conglomerate known as World Wrestling Entertainment. With more than 700,000 Twitter followers, her A.J. character is among the most popular on WWE’s Monday Night Raw, a 20-year-old cable-television staple currently airing on the USA Network.

Mendez/A.J. will be one of the main attractions April 7 when the 29th edition of WWE’s biggest annual event, WrestleMania, rolls into MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford. Organizers predict 70,000 fans will attend the event; some also will flock to WWE Axxess, a four-day pre-event convention featuring autograph signings, paraphernalia sales and wrestling matches. The economic impact on the New York-New Jersey area is expected to exceed $100 million, according to Enigma Research Corporation, an event-research firm.

For Mendez, a native of North Bergen, the road from rags to WrestleMania wasn’t easy. “I’ve lived in so many different towns—Guttenberg, Union City, West New York, Jersey City,” she says of her childhood. “We didn’t have a lot of money and we’d get kicked out of places a lot. We just kind of moved to wherever we could find somewhere [to go].” The family even lived in a low-budget motel room for several years.
At 18, Mendez landed her first full-time job as a secretary for a calling-card company in Union City so that she could afford wrestling school.

“It was my birthday, actually, and everything good happened that day,” Mendez says. “My first paycheck went to a down payment on the training.”

Wrestling proved to be a great escape, but the rigors of the training for the petite Mendez—she’s only 5 foot 2 inches—came as a shock. “I didn’t expect it to be as hard as it was,” she says. “It was incredibly painful. I had no body fat on me and no muscle, and my body freaked out. I thought maybe I couldn’t do this…maybe I’m not strong enough, but I just kept going.”

Professional wrestling is very different from the scholastic or Olympic version. It’s more scripted soap opera than sport, with story lines and larger-than-life characters representing good and evil. The athletes don’t fight, they perform. Their success is measured in TV ratings and merchandise sales. Wins and losses, all scripted, don’t factor into the equation. Although fights are staged, professional wrestling can be painful and potentially dangerous, especially when trainees are learning how to absorb the impact of being slammed in unforgivingly firm wrestling rings.
Despite the rigors, Mendez continued to train for several years, building strength and toughness. At the same time, she began performing at local wrestling events to gain experience.

“She always showed great potential,” says Sean McCaffrey, former promoter of Women Superstars Uncensored, a female-only wrestling promotion that ran small events in Hudson County. “However, I don’t think anyone saw her busting out of her shell and becoming the biggest female star in the business.”

In 2009, Mendez learned that Florida Championship Wrestling—the WWE’s official minor league—was holding a tryout camp in Tampa. Candidates had to pay $1,500 to take part. “I began saving my money. I just thought, whether I get signed or not, they just need to see me,” she says. The gamble paid off, and in May 2009 she was given a spot on the WWE roster of more than 100 performers and trainees. “Fate must’ve taken over, because I was so skinny and didn’t know how to do my hair and makeup,” says Mendez, who at that time was only 96 pounds. “I was just a blank canvas, and they took a chance on me.”

Dan Murphy, senior writer for Pro Wrestling Illustrated, says Mendez has the charisma to stand out from other women wrestlers. “She’s very attractive, but she also exudes a girl-next-door quality that makes her seem approachable.”

After two years on the training circuit, Mendez made her nationally televised debut in May 2011 on WWE Smackdown. With that, the organization began to plot her path to stardom. It didn’t take long for Mendez’s character to become involved in an on screen courtship with then World Champion Daniel Bryan. She accompanied him ringside for his matches, and their simulated behind-the-scenes encounters gave viewers a chance to watch their relationship develop—a common WWE storytelling device.

In time, A.J. morphed from girl next door to vengeful vixen. Her fictional relationship began to unravel, and she developed a mentally unstable edge. Similarly outrageous relationships followed with popular WWE stars like John Cena and C.M. Punk, and A.J. became the most prominent female on WWE programming.

Despite her over-the-top wrestling persona, Mendez remains grounded in the family values she learned as a child. “To this day, I like the version of movies that don’t have the curse words,” she says. “I’m very reserved that way.”

Her true nature seems to shine through the fictional facade. “The fact that she’s so relatable to the fans is a big part of her success,” says Brady Hicks, writer for Pro Wrestling Illustrated. “She’s not some supermodel trying to wrestle. She’s one of us out there each and every week on TV.”

These days Mendez is mostly on the road, performing Monday and Tuesday for televised WWE shows and Friday through Sunday at non-televised events. She calls Tampa home, but is excited about coming back to New Jersey for WrestleMania.

“To have people coming from all around the world every year is an amazing thing,” says Mendez. “But to have people that probably first saw me at these little high school gym shows see me at this level will be the most rewarding thing ever.”

strobogo

Banned
What the fuck. Freddy Joe Floyd and the Goon on the same show? Bash at the Beach happened 2 weeks before this Raw and they decided that was the time to bring in more hillbillies, a wrestling hockey player, and a wrestling plumber? With guys like Mankind, Vader, and Austin?

Kaladin

What the fuck. Freddy Joe Floyd and the Goon on the same show? Bash at the Beach happened 2 weeks before this Raw and they decided that was the time to bring in more hillbillies, a wrestling hockey player, and a wrestling plumber? With guys like Mankind, Vader, and Austin?

Yeah, WWF was ripe for the picking when WCW started up the nWo.

And in a month, WWF brings in Crush as a convict! And Fatu as The Sultan!

Kyoufu

No damnit! No! No! No! No! No!

Well, the PPV was prettttttty underwhelming so it obviously sounds desperate to call that match a highlight. :lol

But I honestly thought it was more entertaining than the main event. I would have given you infinite credit if you said you skipped that match lol.

I thought the Punk vs Orton match was OK but I rather enjoyed the Cody vs Rey match. Cody had a good thing going which went nowhere in the end. :(

strobogo

Banned
And in a month, WWF brings in Crush as a convict! And Fatu as The Sultan!

Actually, this show had the first vignette of Clearance Mason trying to convince Gorilla to allow his new guy to appear despite legal issues.

"As much as I'd like to see Sable and Marlena go after each other's carpets...I mean, jugglers!" Oh, Pillman.

Kaladin

Well, the PPV was prettttttty underwhelming so it obviously sounds desperate to call that match a highlight. :lol

But I honestly thought it was more entertaining than the main event. I would have given you infinite credit if you said you skipped that match lol.

I thought the Punk vs Orton match was OK but I rather enjoyed the Cody vs Rey match. Cody had a good thing going which went nowhere in the end. :(

The video package for the main event was more entertaining than the main event.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There was a new debut/rebut like every other week in 96

Disfigured Cody Rhodes is the greatest gimmick he's ever had. I saw him as a future Mankind and would have loved to see him feud with Goldust like that
And they got rid of it and put him in generic trunks.
The promo for the transformation was awesome
The theme was incredible

Aiii

So not worth it
Bu-bu-but.

Snooki.

It's fucking Snooki.

And Kelly Kelly.

In a wrasslin match.

How can it be good?

This is confusing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jake the Snake is so over in these 96 RAWs. Surprised he doesn't get many promos nor a legacy title run somewhere in here.

strobogo

Banned
What is this Cody Rhodes talk? A mid carder who started to get over, so his gimmick and push ended and he floated around for 2 years? In my WWE? Preposterous.

Jake the Snake is so over in these 96 RAWs. Surprised he doesn't get many promos nor a legacy title run somewhere in here.

Legacy title runs weren't really much of a thing for them yet. It's a lot easier to have legacy title runs when you have 7 titles instead of 3. If they did that, Warrior would have been champ immediately again, because he was far and away the most over guy in the few shows he actually showed up for.

Kaladin

I wish Cody Rhodes had had a big indie run, either with Ring of Honor or Dragon Gate USA. He's that good of a wrestler and a better talker than most in the indies.

What is this Cody Rhodes talk? A mid carder who started to get over, so his gimmick and push ended and he floated around for 2 years? In my WWE? Preposterous.

I eagerly anticipate when his stache gets shaved off after he loses a big possible career making match at the height of the "Cody's moustache" chants, WWE Title vs Cody's moustache, no doubt against Cena who will spend this year having another super run defending the belt with ease against all comers every month, it'll be 2007 all over again.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair though Jake being so over was actually used as an excuse for why he never got the IC title in his initial run; he didn't need it, fans loved him.

Disfigured Cody Rhodes is the greatest gimmick he's ever had. I saw him as a future Mankind and would have loved to see him feud with Goldust like that. And they got rid of it and put him in generic trunks.

I really loved the gimmick too, they could have done so much more with it - after the Smackdown where Dusty made Cody apologise to Rey I was hoping they'd involve Dusty a lot more as Cody's manager, or maybe even have a Rhodes Family stable, but it never really went anywhere.

strobogo

Banned
I like how the tag titles are treated the same in 1996 as they are today. I think they were on PPV pre-shows for 6 out of the first 7 PPVs that year. I think I've seen all of 2 actual defenses on Raw.

Kaladin

Angles/wrestlers who show promise never go anywhere or gets de-pushed.

on the flip side....

Big angles/new wrestlers who are pushed to the moon are often botched and fucked up anyway.

Typical WWE.

Ithil

Finally caught up with NXT. Its crazy that the most over person is Paige. Glad they are hiring old divas so if they decide to go with her she can go through all of them. Bray Wyatt is great way better than his brother, hopefully they can look past his weight and give him another chance. He's got the best theme on NXT . Its hilarious that they obviously believe in Neville but his partner is so bland and boring the tag titles are pretty much a belt for him to carry so he looks important. Mason Ryan looks ridiculously ripped too, he has to be on something.

Emma is easily one of my favorites as well her gimmick is great. Get this dance going at Wrestlemania 30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUolnV_ERA
tumblr_mjq1wsm1Tm1rt4k5qo3_250.gif

tumblr_mjq1wsm1Tm1rt4k5qo4_250.gif

tumblr_mjq1wsm1Tm1rt4k5qo6_250.gif

There are some downsides Big E, Graves, and the last remaining Ascension guy are so boring in and out of the ring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDxfo7kDeZc

Here's a short documentary film on Emma made around the time she got a development contract. Nice to see she's a dedicated wrestler.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like how the tag titles are treated the same in 1996 as they are today. I think they were on PPV pre-shows for 6 out of the first 7 PPVs that year. I think I've seen all of 2 actual defenses on Raw.

Besides a bit of excitement when the NAOs get the belts they basically remain unimportant until we get the whole Dudleys Hardies, E&C into the mix.

The tag belts are also fairly unimportant throughout the entire Hulkamania era; they switch all the time and very rarely are on anyone important to the big feuds, very rarely defended on Superstars.

Top Bottom