• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Robot vs Machine!

new page? ok

ikmqSALN8AdEK.gif

Omega

Banned
Vince is a dumbass. Rock has barely even mentioned he's in the WWE again let alone having a match at WM

so what was the point in even bringing him back? are they just hoping people catch Rock once a month while channel surfing and say "hey it the rock! im gonna watch wrestling now!"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
fuckin Jazzy Lahoria hate in the fitness thread
I am truly a member without a home

Verendus

Banned
Vince is a dumbass. Rock has barely even mentioned he's in the WWE again let alone having a match at WM

so what was the point in even bringing him back? are they just hoping people catch Rock once a month while channel surfing and say "hey it the rock! im gonna watch wrestling now!"
How is he a dumbass? The Rock likely got them several hundred thousand more PPV buys in total for Wrestlemania over the past two years than they would have got otherwise. Wrestlemania 27 would have done less than 800,000 buys had it not been for The Rock. That's how weak it was. Wrestlemania 28 would have just continued the decline. WM26 was stacked but it didn't perform that well so who knows what state the subsequent shows would have been in. They were going downhill. Wrestlemania 29 doing well will be thanks to him too. Not to mention the interest generated from his initial return with several sold out Raw shows and merchandise sales too. Vince has made millions from him.

The other issues with the company are for WWE to fix and they have most of the year to do that.

People knows he's there. He doesn't have to mention it on every talk show he's on. He's been here for the past two Wrestlemania shows and he's in the main event again.

jmdajr

How is he a dumbass? The Rock likely got them several hundred thousand more PPV buys in total for Wrestlemania over the past two years than they would have got otherwise. Wrestlemania 27 would have done less than 800,000 buys had it not been for The Rock. That's how weak it was. Wrestlemania 28 would have just continued the decline. WM26 was stacked but it didn't perform that well so who knows what state the subsequent shows would have been in. They were going downhill. Wrestlemania 29 doing well will be thanks to him too. Not to mention the interest generated from his initial return with several sold out Raw shows and merchandise sales too. Vince has made millions from him.

The other issues with the company are for WWE to fix and they have most of the year to do that.

People knows he's there. He doesn't have to mention it on every talk show he's on. He's been here for the past two Wrestlemania shows and he's in the main event again.

All true really. It's definitely helping NOW. I wish he'd pimp out the product more, but oh well. I just don't know how it's going to go once Rock says adios. I guess by then they will hope Stone Cold comes back and that Brock doesn't leave. He's still young(bork), I think the dude should milk it.

No one that huge can come back really. I wouldn't mind seeing Batista, Jeff hardy and Angel back for one more run though.

Friend is dressing up as CM Punk for the WM night at the Sportsbar. I'm going to wear my Lucha mask, and perhaps a suit. We're trying to get everyone else on board with dress up, but they seem reluctant.

mrboo001

Banned
John Cenas heel turn will be the ultimate shake up for that company...

And if he really turns heel the WWE as we know it, will never, and I mean never, EEEEVVVVEERRRR be the same AGAIN.

The heel turn will never happen though :D

Edit: First post in WrassleGAF, thinking about posting some more after lurking for quite some time :)

Hello fellow lurker!

Watching the CHIKARA show from Tampa and the opening 4-way elimination tag match is awesome. However, I really dislike the way this Quackenbush/Jigsaw storyline has played out - I mean, the whole reason Jigsaw turned on Quack was because he was acting like a heel, viciously attacking GEKIDO members (taking out 17 and combatAnt) and trying to cause them serious injury. Jigsaw was constantly getting on Quack's case about his increasingly violent behaviour towards GEKIDO and it seemed to be building to a Quack heel turn, yet at the season 11 finale it was Jigsaw who turned on Quack and since then he's been acting like a typical heel, but it doesn't feel right to me. Quack's the face out for vengeance, but it's against the one guy on the roster who had the audacity to try and tell him that he was taking things too far, while the whole mystery about the identities of the GEKIDO members (who were supposed to be former students) has been seemingly swept under the rug. I know Quack's all about the long-term booking, but I feel like we need some resolution with the GEKIDO storyline, just like we do with Kingston's title reign.

Ring Ka King was insane. It was like TNA on acid.

Scott Steiner scaring the bejebus out of the Indian fans was a magical moment. So awesome.

Pavaloo

Rock still brought the championship to the good morning show. Come on guys, GI Joe comes out sooner than WrestleMania, obviously in the last few press events before movie's launch that's going to be his focus.

edit: smackdown spoilers make me happy.
PEOPLE POWER

Scott Steiner scaring the bejebus out of the Indian fans was a magical moment. So awesome.

That was exactly the image I had in my mind. The host is speaking Hindi (?) and outcomes Scott Steiner and starts shouting in his angry American English Steinerisms. Fantastic and surreal.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I really really enjoyed Ring Ka King - their initial introduction and tournament episodes were really good at setting the roster and characters apart. It was exciting to see new people and how old favorite would appear as.

jmdajr

That's the feeling I share too.

We'd probably get Sheamus doing the 'Diesel' stint for a while that no one cares about.

You know that era really tried to milk every inch of talent out of the roster they had. These days, just taken for granted in comparison.
Just watching even those old Wrestlemania matches, fucking Vince just went out of his way to put the matches/performers over, even if they were not great.

Ithil

Ziggler
Bryan
Cesaro
Swagger
Ambrose
Reigns
Rollins
Seamus
Ryback
Rhodes
Sandow
O'Neil
D.Young
Gabriel
Kidd
Sin Cara

Kane
Nah, to D-Young (can't talk, at all, pretty good wrestler but there's far better), Kidd (also can't talk despite his incredible talent in the ring), and Gabriel (lacks any charisma, ok wrestler).

The rest have the tools to be big stars. I know Swagger can't talk, but he's got enough else to overcome that with a manager. There's a lot of guys down in NXT that I see big things for.

Cena I find is a very artificial "megastar". They've tried to create an Austin or a Hogan using a regular main event guy, and it feels forced and fake, always has. Cena is not the face of the company because he's on fire and people simply had to have it, he's the face because Vince decided he is.

They missed the boat on making a genuine megastar in Punk in 2011 (partially as a result of Vince having decided Cena is the one no matter what).

strobogo

Banned
I really suck at Aliens: Colonial Marines. I don't really play FPS, but fuck. I'm dying like 15 times a mission.

Nah, to D-Young (can't talk, at all, pretty good wrestler but there's far better), Kidd (also can't talk despite his incredible talent in the ring), and Gabriel (lacks any charisma, ok wrestler).

The rest have the tools to be big stars. I know Swagger can't talk, but he's got enough else to overcome that with a manager.

Cena I find is a very artificial "megastar". They've tried to create an Austin or a Hogan using a regular main event guy, and it feels forced and fake, always has. Cena is not the face of the company because he's on fire and people simply had to have it, he's the face because Vince decided he is.

They missed the boat on making a genuine megastar in Punk in 2011 (partially as a result of Vince having decided Cena is the one no matter what).

Cena was that megastar. His overness came naturally and was fucking legit. But things haven't been the same since 2007ish or so. Something changed and all of what made him make a connection with fans was stripped of him and he was packaged into some weird modern day Hogan monster.

Pavaloo

Ah come on, I guess I really mean Vince. I think if talent like Ziggler or Bryan could get the mic and not stick to scripts and had their own opportunities to work storylines, I think we could see the best era of wrestling for WWE in a long time. I think I was a little over zealous posting that list, I'm sure none of those guys will reach Hogan levels of exposure, but I think the top 3 can reach Cena levels.

edit: some of these guys suck when it comes to personality and mic work for sure, (D young, Gabe, Kidd, etc) but honestly they just need to find a character that works. It took Austin a little while. It took the Rock a little while. Cena, Punk, etc.

I don't know guys, if creative finally gets rid of the old timers, everyone could shine.

You know that era really tried to milk every inch of talent out of the roster they had. These days, just taken for granted in comparison.
Just watching even those old Wrestlemania matches, fucking Vince just went out of his to put the matches/performers over, even if they were not great.

I like both of these points. The Main Event has been stale for many years now, with pretty much John Cena being the Main Event against whoever the 'Superstar of the Year' was after him (Edge, Punk, etc).

While back in the 90s when THEY HAD TO most of the roster got a chance to shin over various months in the Main Event. Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Owen Hart, Steve Austin, Mankind, Undertaker pretty much interchanged and shared the spotlight over the course of 2-3 years. It was almost seamless, especially the way they brought The Rock into the mix.

Ithil

D bry could be the next face of the company easy

He's got all the aspects a PG WWE in 2013 wants in a face of the company, more so than anyone else on the roster not named Cena. Unfortunately Vince is in a bubble and only his personally handpicked guys are allowed be anyone.

I really suck at Aliens: Colonial Marines. I don't really play FPS, but fuck. I'm dying like 15 times a mission.

Cena was that megastar. His overness came naturally and was fucking legit. But things haven't been the same since 2007ish or so. Something changed and all of what made him make a connection with fans was stripped of him and he was packaged into some weird modern day Hogan monster.

I don;t see it, he's been booed since the second half of 2005, his first year as a main event guy. He should never have been the face of the company like this, they pushed it too hard to be a Hogan face. Even in 2005 he had turned into a happy go lucky super face that always overcame the odds. He would have made a great main event guy that would have been a big star. Instead he's the worst face of the company in WWE history and the most overpushed face they've ever had.

Striker

Nobody.(at that level)

It be back to Bret Hart / Shawn Era. Wrestlers respected by the audience(like Punk), but not cared for in mainstream.
The early 90's they lost a lot due to injuries/steroid trial (Dibiase, Hogan, Warrior, Rude, Roberts, Perfect, Savage). Lot of fans left. It wasn't until 1996 it was getting more popular due to the nWo and in the WWF they were getting better talent in like Foley and Vader.

Their problem that nobody exists behind Cena is their own wrongdoing.

If they ever pushed Cena heel, I'd expect them to do so with faces already lined up. If they did their own booking and writing (long term) right, they can easily make guys like Bryan and Del Rio the top faces. Orton is one who stands out but he has strikes against him and he also prefers being heel. Sheamus is another option, but meh. Punk can work too but he was so vanilla in his title run it was awful. Ryback I suppose is one but I don't think he lasts long until everybody tires of him.

Ithil

And I'm Santa. Not that I wouldn't enjoy something like that, but I don't need to see Daniel doing more ridiculous shit than he already is.

Ridiculous shit? Main eventing most PPVs, being promoted the most, having lots of World title reigns, generally pushed as being the best? That's exactly what Bryan and any other young guy wants, I'm sure.

Top Bottom