• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

Cena was that megastar. His overness came naturally and was fucking legit. But things haven't been the same since 2007ish or so. Something changed and all of what made him make a connection with fans was stripped of him and he was packaged into some weird modern day Hogan monster.

ECW and RVD?

jmdajr

Saturday Morning slam might be a good guage of who kids might like. I just don't know what percentage of the kiddos don't already watch RAW and Smackdown.

Most folks here think it a better show than the two big ones. I assume Vince isn't in charge of any of it.

Lol, Archie...

iWdeZu4tl7BOn.gif

Ithil

Saturday Morning slam might be a good guage of who kids might like. I just don't know what percentage of the kiddos don't already watch RAW and Smackdown.

Most folks here think it a better show than the two big ones. I assume Vince isn't in charge of any of it.

At the risk of repeating myself, Bryan legit gets over with kids on that show. He's got all the mannerisms to play for the crowd to get them on his side, while being a badass in the ring so he's not a goofball. That kind of crowd awareness needs to be hammered into the guys instead of "look at the hard camera, pretend the crowd aren't there".

At the risk of repeating myself, Bryan legit gets over with kids on that show. He's got all the mannerisms to play for the crowd to get them on his side, while being a badass in the ring so he's not a goofball. That kind of crowd awareness needs to be hammered into the guys instead of "look at the hard camera, pretend the crowd aren't there".

yes.gif

rvy

Banned
Ridiculous shit? Main eventing most PPVs, being promoted the most, having lots of World title reigns, generally pushed as being the best? That's exactly what Bryan and any other young guy wants, I'm sure.

I mean his gimmick. The Yes and No nonsense. Hugging people.

Ithil

I mean his gimmick. The Yes and No nonsense. Hugging people.

YES made him the most over guy on the roster, I wouldn't bash that. Now he does need to get a serious singles push. And bring back YES for his entrance, the NO doesn't make any sense anymore, as he says YES quite a lot now, and is seemingly no longer bothered by the crowd doing it.

rvy

Banned
YES made him the most over guy on the roster, I wouldn't bash that. Now he does need to get a serious singles push. And bring back YES for his entrance, the NO doesn't make any sense anymore, as he says YES quite a lot now, and is seemingly no longer bothered by the crowd doing it.

Still don't like the gimmick. Can't take him seriously. Good for him that it got him over.

Still don't like the gimmick. Can't take him seriously. Good for him that it got him over.

That should be a sign though really. He got over with a stupid/nothing gimmick, imagine if he was given time and some freedom. Now think of all the wrestlers on the roster who can't get over despite all the time and serious gimmicks they've been given Del Rio & Sheamus (to some extent) for example (TheMiz?).

Hell, Randy Orton is still probably one of the most popular guys within WWE and he doesn't actually do anything.

rvy

Banned
That should be a sign though really. He got over with a stupid/nothing gimmick, imagine if he was given time and some freedom. Now think of all the wrestlers on the roster who can't get over despite all the time and serious gimmicks they've been given Del Rio & Sheamus (to some extent) for example (TheMiz?).

Hell, Randy Orton is still probably one of the most popular guys within WWE and he doesn't actually do anything.

I could think about, but then I would get depressed. So I won't think about it. But there's not a lot of young guys that I can see becoming major even if given freedom.

strobogo

Banned
D-Bryne's gimmick isn't really that different from what he did on the indies. He always had that goofy personality. Besides the evil wizard phase, he was always kind of goofy, nerdy, friendly fellow who happens to be a fantastic wrestler. I think he's showing a lot more of his own personality as goat face than when he was just Daniel Bryan, straight wrestler.

I think TNA have created more relative 'stars' than WWE has in the last 10 years. Maybe.

James Storm
Bobby Roode

OK, so two...

AJ Styles?
Christopher Daniels?

Do they count?

Samoa Joe was ALMOST a star, but was dropped hard after the Angle Trilogy.

Ithil

What the...? It's a comedy spot by a comedy wrestler in a promotion that prides itself on not always taking things so seriously. Well, I thought it was amusing, anyways.

Funniest thing I saw in Chikara was the Looney Tunes spot where someone punched into the curtain, then 10 feet away another fist came out of the curtain to punch his opponent.

I was always a big fan of Chuck Taylor's hand-grenade, but I think Darkness Crabtree has to be my favourite CHIKARA comedy gimmick.

Funniest thing I saw in Chikara was the Looney Tunes spot where someone punched into the curtain, then 10 feet away another fist came out of the curtain to punch his opponent.

i7NzfJ2XEG6cR.gif

jmdajr

Who will have the coolest Wrestlemania entrance?

Some favs

HHH Wrestlemania 27
HBK Wrestlemania 25
John Cena Wrestlemania 23
Undertaker Wrestlemania 17

strobogo

Banned
Also, it's really hard to boo D-Bryne even as a heel because he's one of the few guys on the roster that really looks like he loves his job.

Pavaloo

D-Bryne's gimmick isn't really that different from what he did on the indies. He always had that goofy personality. Besides the evil wizard phase, he was always kind of goofy, nerdy, friendly fellow who happens to be a fantastic wrestler. I think he's showing a lot more of his own personality as goat face than when he was just Daniel Bryan, straight wrestler.

And this is what needs to happen with all the young talent. They need to have the freedom to find their own characters and learn how to authenticate these characters by fusing themselves into them. It has worked for everyone who has done it. I just don't think everyone necessarily has the opportunities or freedom to be themselves on RAW because there are "grander" plans.

Vince is a dumbass. Rock has barely even mentioned he's in the WWE again let alone having a match at WM

so what was the point in even bringing him back? are they just hoping people catch Rock once a month while channel surfing and say "hey it the rock! im gonna watch wrestling now!"

There's an awful lot of evidence showing he's good for business. He doesn't need to mention Wrestlemania in every interview to be a draw.

I think TNA have created more relative 'stars' than WWE has in the last 10 years. Maybe.

James Storm
Bobby Roode

OK, so two...

AJ Styles?
Christopher Daniels?

Do they count?

TNA hasn't made any stars at all because while they know how to book the heels properly, they always fuck things up when it comes to the payoff. They're the complete opposite of the WWE, who have no fucking clue when it comes to heels because their top faces never lose. If you could somehow combine the two, you may have a decent wrestling promotion.

TNA hasn't made any stars at all because while they know how to book the heels properly, they always fuck things up when it comes to the payoff. They're the complete opposite of the WWE, who have no fucking clue when it comes to heels because their top faces never lose. If you could somehow combine the two, you may have a decent wrestling promotion.

Yo, if it wasn't for TNA, Rainmaker Okada would be a nobody.

THANK YOU BASED TNA.

somedevil

James Storm
Bobby Roode

OK, so two...

AJ Styles?
Christopher Daniels?

Do they count?

TNA has no real stars. Samoa Joe was close but they screwed it up. Like people said the only star they made was Okada because they booked him so bad they sent him back and he became a star in Japan.

mooooose

TNA floundered on Roode and Storm, the only star they ever made was Aries IMO. Everyone was talking about him at one point.

Joe too but his stock is worthless now so he was never a star, just on the cusp. Joe should lose weight and go to WWE.

Styles is overrated but could've been a star, but TNA doesn't matter.

Kaladin

TNA floundered on Roode and Storm, the only star they ever made was Aries IMO. Everyone was talking about him at one point.

Joe too but his stock is worthless now so he was never a star, just on the cusp. Joe should lose weight and go to WWE.

Styles is overrated but could've been a star, but TNA doesn't matter.

They didn't really make Aries a star. He was already a star when he came to TNA and they were smart enough to capitalize on it.

strobogo

Banned
It's too late for Joe, ROOOOOOOO, Storm, and AJ. They're all right around 35, which I think is too old for WWE to really give them a shot. They'd be 40 year olds in NXT. Aries is pushing it, too. Also, he's tiny as fuck. He's noticeably shorter than my main man D-Bryne, and he's pretty small in WWE rings. I can't even see how A Double would fit in WWE right now. He has way too much personality for what they've been doing for the past 6-7 years.

Top Bottom