• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
And he can shoot lightning at will.

I wonder how they made the whole lightning thing look real, live
You know when the "lightning" strikes, there's usually some pyro exploding at the spot where it's supposed to strike? Live crowds just see the pyro exploding.

In the segment-by-segment, Kane vs. Show lost 125,000 viewers which is less than usual for the second slot. David Otunga vs. Santino Marella with the John Laurinaitis/Teddy Long conflict, plus the Rock interview in front of the Rocky statue in Philadelphia gained 205,000 viewers. Daniel Bryan vs. Zack Ryder lost 418,000 viewers. John Cena vs. Mark Henry with Rock coming out gained 327,000 viewers to a 3.20 top of the hour, which is again a weak gain for that slot. Sheamus vs. The Miz lost 279,000 viewers, which is less of a drop than usual. The Randy Orton interview and Kofi Kingston & R-Truth vs. Jack Swagger & Dolph Ziggler lost 151,000 viewers. And the final segment with HHH, Undertaker and Shawn Michaels in the overrun gained 597,000 viewers, which is below average, but at a 3.32 overrun was still the highest rated thing on the show. The final segment gain was 2.2 to 2.5 among male teens, 2.5 to 3.2 in Males 18-49 (key because that is your most likely PPV buying audience so that audience was into this dynamic), 0.6 to 0.5 among women teens (that’s as low as I can recall for that demo at the end of the show, so it doesn’t indicate they care at all about this program) and 1.1 to 1.2 among Women 18-49.
You're damn right Kane is a draw!

It's a shameful thing, isn't it?

hF3TJ.jpg

SAME! I discovered it was "brogue" yesterday. Mind blown.

CHRIST

I think we're all just about finished getting excited for one year builds.

Not that us sane people were ever excited for it.

Rightfully so.

Cause we're not crazy.

Serious question, what do you think the build up would be for Rock/Cena if Rock was actually with the WWE for the whole year? I think/hope/pray/whatever it wouldn't what we've seen, just expanded over 52 Raws.

-- We noted yesterday here on the website that WWE officials had been discussing a John Cena vs. The Rock rematch over the past week or two. WWE officials also talked about the possibility of doing a third match between the two. If they go with the trilogy, the first rematch would take place later this year, likely at SummerSlam. The third match would then take place at WrestleMania 29 in New Jersey.

ONCE IN A LIFETIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Serious question, what do you think the build up would be for Rock/Cena if Rock was actually with the WWE for the whole year? I think/hope/pray/whatever it wouldn't what we've seen, just expanded over 52 Raws.

Oh we would but not only that, we probably wouldn't get Punk's Worked-Shoot promo and Money in the Bank 2011.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I agree with you both. WWE is a terrible company and we should be looking forward to their collapse.
Vince will turn the wrestlers into MMA fighters in an attempt to rival UFC, of course the Superstars will then become bombarded with injuries having to fight 2-3 times a week including house shows.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Well, I think it's a good concept.

Which will be handled poorly, and even if it's Austin/Punk next year for the WM main event, the build will be terrible, and any way that we could conceivably care about the actual match will be messed up by creative.

I agree with you both. WWE is a terrible company and we should be looking forward to their collapse.

I used to try and walk the line between your weird fetish with all things broken down, and *****'s mark-ism, but I don't care about that anymore.

I'm just gonna sit back and watch the WWE world burn /Alfred

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
-- We noted yesterday here on the website that WWE officials had been discussing a John Cena vs. The Rock rematch over the past week or two. WWE officials also talked about the possibility of doing a third match between the two. If they go with the trilogy, the first rematch would take place later this year, likely at SummerSlam. The third match would then take place at WrestleMania 29 in New Jersey.

No.

No.

If we have to put up with another YEAR of Cena vs Rock, I'm fucking OUT.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
really? the way everyone always talks abut that era i just assumed like around nine million.

Raw and Nitro got around that number during their heydays. Even at 4-5 million viewers in WCW dying days, Nitro was still one of, if not the highest rated show on TNT. Even Thunder had huge ratings compared to the rest of the TBS line up.

Holy fucking shit!!! This. . . . . this. . . . this is. . . . . IT!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMYbAg6S11Y

It took me a while to realize it was a fan video instead of a WWE one.

Don't ask me why.

DMczaf

rb27f.gif

Kaladin

Cena turned heel in Boston....

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...culture-turned-him-away-from-red-sox-to-rays/

BOSTON (CBS) — In some local sports circles, WWE superstar John Cena is a legend. The Massachusetts native and Springfield College alum has gone on to professional wrestling championships and starring roles in movies, and he even sported Celtics gear in a playoff game in Orlando, making the locals proud.

However, when Cena started getting spotted wearing Rays jerseys and going to games in Tampa, the tide turned.

“Everybody, especially in the Boston area, literally wants me tried as a witch and burned at the stake,” Cena told Jimmy Traina on the SI Hot Clicks Podcast. “And I admire that about true Boston fans. Boston is a fantastic sports city.”

Cena said he grew up a Red Sox fan in northeastern Mass., but the massive changes to the team and the atmosphere at Fenway Park led to him becoming more enamored with the Rays.

“Fenway Park was a very different atmosphere when I used to go,” he said. “And I’ve seen that place become a destination. I’ve seen it become a place where you go and buy a pink ball cap and a pink T-shirt and you don’t know anybody on the team and you just enjoy the game.”

Beyond the fans at Fenway, though, Cena said the Red Sox lost their identity as the lovable underdogs.

“The Red Sox also by design have become the team that the Red Sox used to hate. They’ve become the Yankees,” he told Traina. “They spend mega, mega money on talent and usually nine out of 10 times they’re in a bidding war with the Yankees for talent.”

Cena explained how the way the Rays play baseball and seem to love it drew him in, even if the seats remain largely empty down in Tampa.

“They just somehow make it happen,” Cena said of the Rays. “They’re what the Red Sox used to be. Like, throw together a bunch of jumbled up dudes and hope that it happens.”

Regarding the Rays’ inability to sell out playoff games?

“That’s sad. That’s sad,” Cena told Traina. “But they’re a team that loves baseball, and I dig watching them.”

Despite his disenchantment with the Red Sox, Cena said he still follows the team.

“I’m a sports fan. I still watch the Sox,” he said. “I get NESN at the house. I still hear RemDawg [Jerry Remy] call the games. … I guess, like I said earlier about my character, I’ve always been me. When someone changes that drastically, it’s like, ‘Ah the franchise turned their back on me as a fan. We used to be a bunch of rugged bums. Now we’re a bunch of high end guys.’ I don’t know, it’s tough.”

Traina made sure to ask Cena one more Boston sports question in the podcast, and it involved a certain quarterback by the name of Tim Tebow.

“You know what? I’ve questioned so many of Belichick’s decisions, and he always makes me look like an idiot,” Cena said. “He would know exactly what to do with Tim Tebow.”

Despite all the Red Sox feelings, Cena hardly holds a grudge. When came to Boston this month for Monday Night Raw, he was roundly booed by the hometown crowd. Based on his own feelings toward the Red Sox, he understand the fans’ feelings.

“With constant success comes animosity, and I’m the perfect example,” he said. “I like the Rays for other reasons that I don’t like the Red Sox. And it’s exactly why people boo me out there.”

Despite his Celtics ties, Cena’s also been seen wearing a Lakers jersey and a Flyers jersey, but those topics weren’t covered. Maybe they will be in the next podcast.

VKb7Q.jpg

steveovig

Whose the source of this info?

That poses an interesting question - say WWE did collapse in the near future, would any existing promotion (lol, TNA) or new promotion ever be able to fill the gap? Also, I think we can all agree that WWE badly needs some (pro-wrestling) competition if they are ever to affect the sort of major change long-standing fans are after, but without a company like WWE, of which the mainstream is at least remotely aware, for any other theoretical major promotion to compete with, would wrestling ever be able to reclaim the highs it saw in the late 90's, or would it simply fade from the conciousness of popular culture and become a thing of the past?

ElectricBlanketFire said:
Were there any notable heel vs. heel matches in the WWF late 80s/early 90s era?

Randy Savage defending the IC title against Jake Roberts from Saturday Night Main Event VIII in 1986 comes to mind. Also, Don Muraco vs The Iron Sheik in the finals of the first King of the Ring tournament in 1985.

UberTag

What is it with you guys and wanting the WWE to fail. If WWE was gone there'd be no more professional wrestling for me.
We don't want the WWE to fail.
We just want Vince to die and Shane to come back and remove Trips from the booking equation.

Instead we'll get one more year of Rock vs. Cena.
And then one more year after that.
And then one more year after that.
And then maybe Cena will finally retire The Undertaker and end the streak.

But he will never lose clean. He will never turn heel. He will never change his gimmick. He will never be interesting. He will never put anyone over. He will never learn to sell offense. He will never learn more than 5 moves. And he will never be booked differently. Cena is the ONLY Superstar that matters in the WWE-verse until the end of time. (Or Vince dies.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom