• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

Give me Sting vs. Taker instead. I'M NOT GIVING UP HOPE.

ibwLi0B6DUaOVf.gif

really? the way everyone always talks abut that era i just assumed like around nine million.

The highest Nitro's ratings ever got don't come close to Raw in 1999-2000. The highest Nitro's rating ever got was a 5.1 I think. Raw was consistently pulling a 6.5-7.0+ every week in 1999-2000. Anything below a 6.5 was considered a disappointment. I remember one night Nitro in 1999 was pre-empted on TNT due to the NBA playoffs and that episode of Raw got an 8.1. The only other Raw to get that rating was the Owen Hart memorial show. Absolutely staggering numbers.

They started to dip back into the 5's in summer 2000 right before they moved to TNN and then totally tanked when Steph took over as head writer with the fucked up Invasion angle.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
That poses an interesting question - say WWE did collapse in the near future, would any existing promotion (lol, TNA) or new promotion ever be able to fill the gap? Also, I think we can all agree that WWE badly needs some (pro-wrestling) competition if they are ever to affect the sort of major change long-standing fans are after, but without a company like WWE, of which the mainstream is at least remotely aware, for any other theoretical major promotion to compete with, would wrestling ever be able to reclaim the highs it saw in the late 90's, or would it simply fade from the conciousness of popular culture and become a thing of the past?
Actually I can see AAA or CMLL try to expand here in the US but I doubt they or even TNA can become as huge as WWE. Wrestling might become a regional thing again.

Actually I can see AAA or CMLL try to expand here in the US but I doubt they or even TNA can become as huge as WWE. Wrestling might become a regional thing again.

AAA and CMLL are dead. WWE is killing them in Mexico since getting tv over there. Interest levels in them have never been lower.

I really don't see a company who pulls in near 500mil a year dying anytime soon.

-Kill PG rating. Does it have to be attitude 2.0? No, but it doesn't make sense that most of your fanbase is adult male but you cater to the kids.

-Kill WWE studios. Such a fucking waste of money.

-Kill the WWE network. Would have been awesome during the 90's but pointless now. Cable companies especially in the ny/nj are assholes. Losing channels every second due to high costs. Instead get with the times and create a netflixhulu type website/app to stream the entire library and current tv episodes. Just don't get greedy, $50 year sub seems reasonable.

It's pretty damn simple. Stop crossing your fingers for high ratings and successful movies. Focus on your strong points. I've been to WWE.com more times this past week then i have in the last 10 years combined because they finally put up full matches.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I really don't see a company who pulls in near 500mil a year dying anytime soon.

-Kill PG rating. Does it have to be attitude 2.0? No, but it doesn't make sense that most of your fanbase is adult male but you cater to the kids.

-Kill WWE studios. Such a fucking waste of money.

-Kill the WWE network. Would have been awesome during the 90's but pointless now. Cable companies especially in the ny/nj are assholes. Losing channels every second due to high costs. Instead get with the times and create a netflixhulu type website/app to stream the entire library and current tv episodes. Just don't get greedy, $50 year sub seems reasonable.

It's pretty damn simple. Stop crossing your fingers for high ratings and successful movies. Focus on your strong points. I've been to WWE.com more times this past week then i have in the last 10 years combined because they finally put up full matches.
While their revenues are high, their profit margins are thin due to absolutely high ass costs due to the production of shows, movies, the network, etc. They get $500 mil worth of revenue, but only about $25 mil worth of net profit.

Striker

PG is one thing, then they want to knock off a person bleeding, limit moves or better yet kill a person's moveset, and ban ones like the piledriver. I'm fine with the chair shot thing, but the rest is silly.

I have said it before and Ill say it again WWE's problem isnt the PG rating.
Its the booking and the fact they haven't made a decent main event talent other then CM punk in the last 5 years because everyone else was fed to Cena and Ortan.

WWE has been having the same problem years before the PG rating happened.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I have said it before and Ill say it again WWE's problem isnt the PG rating.
Its the booking and the fact they haven't made a decent main event talent other then CM punk in the last 5 years because everyone else was fed to Cena and Ortan.

WWE has been having the same problem years before the PG rating happened.
Yeah, pointing to PG as the reason why it's down is ridiculous. They were pushing "edgy" story lines in 2003 more so than any other year, and that year was HORRIBLE for the product.

The PG Era does kind of prevent some characters from being themselves and getting over, but there's no doubt the bigger problem in that regard is the booking.

It's kind of peculiar we've had "shit" said on tv two weeks in a row. That didn't even happen in the Attitude Era.

RBH

WRESTLEMANIA TAPPING INTO NBC UNIVERSAL SYNERGY IN A MAJOR, MAJOR WAY
by Mike Johnson @ 6:34 PM on 3/20/2012

WWE issued the following announcement that their Rock vs. John Cena special will broadcast over 11 different NBC Universal Networks, which is some amazing promotional help over the week leading into Wrestlemania 28:

STAMFORD, Conn., Mar 20, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- WWE® WWE and NBCUniversal are joining forces to televise “Once in a Lifetime -- Rock vs. Cena,” an epic one-hour special that follows WWE Superstars The Rock® and John Cena® on their respective roads to WrestleMania® XXVIII. This first ever behind-the-scenes special premieres Monday, March 26 on USA Network at 8/7c and will also air on NBCUniversal networks including Syfy, Bravo, E!, Oxygen, G4, Style, NBC Sports Network, mun2, CLOO and Universal HD leading up to WrestleMania on Sunday, April 1 at 7:00 p.m. ET.

This lifestyle special is a candid and compelling look at two of the biggest icons in sports entertainment history as they prepare for their Once in a Lifetime main event match. From touring and training on the road to Hollywood movie sets to the 54th Annual Daytona 500, this in-depth look with exclusive footage gives viewers unprecedented access and a glimpse into the personal lives of these men.

Monday 3/26
8 p.m./7 p.m. CT – USA Network

Tuesday 3/27
7 p.m./6 p.m. CT – CLOO

Wednesday 3/28
8 p.m./5 p.m. PT – UNIHD
12:30 a.m./9:30 p.m. PT – UNIHD

Thursday 3/29
6 a.m./5 a.m. CT – Style
8 p.m./7 p.m. CT – Mun2
1 a.m./12 a.m. CT – E!

Friday 3/30
6 a.m./3 a.m. PT – NBC Sports
8 a.m./7 a.m. CT – Syfy
11 a.m./10 a.m. CT – Bravo
7 p.m./6 p.m. CT – Syfy
11 p.m./8 p.m. PT – UNIHD

Saturday 3/31
9 a.m./8 a.m. CT – USA Network
6 p.m./5 a.m. CT – Mun2
10 p.m./9 p.m. CT – G4 (WWE Tough Enough marathon airing 12 p.m. - 10 p.m./11 a.m. - 9 p.m. CT)

Sunday 4/1
8 a.m./7 a.m. CT – Oxygen
10 a.m./9 a.m. CT – G4
12 p.m./11 a.m. CT – CLOO

The Score in Canada will be airing "Once In A Lifetime - The Rock vs. John Cena" at the following times:

March 29th - 4 PM (ET)
March 30th - 10:30 PM (ET)
March 31st - 2 AM (ET)
April 1st - 4 PM (ET)

UK airdates:

Sunday 25th March 11:55am - Sky Sports 4 (HD)
Monday 26th March 10pm - Sky Sports 3 (HD)
Wednesday 28th March 8am and 3pm - Sky Sports 3 (HD)

Any impressions of these guys?

Yeah, they go by the name 'The Mighty Don't Kneel' and have done a number of tours of Pro-Wrestling NOAH over the past year or so - from what I've seen they're both good mid-sized wrestlers, who should be fine working either junior or heavyweight styles.

They've got a Proving Ground match against The Briscoe Brothers on ROH's March 30th iPPV.

And if you want to see a match of theirs, this is probably their best to date; challenging Suzuki & Aoki for the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles in NOAH last December;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_k4iq5sBlM - 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq3EzWfnElo - 2/2

I'm so damn bored I'm watching NXT for the first time in like 2 years and I've already seen Titus O'neill, who apparently now talks like a preacher, trying to get a date for Darren Young with Tamina and Johnny Curtis sending a text to Josh Matthews saying his car was stolen for Maxine so he will leave Regal alone on commentary and Maxine can go and try to convince Regal to get her off NXT(yes, there is an angle about someone not wanting to be on this horrible show), Maxine and Johnny Curtis are backstage hiding when Matthews comes backstage and talks to Striker who tells Matthews where his car is. Striker walks by the spot where Maxine and Curtis are hiding and Curtis CHLOROFORMS Striker by mistake thinking it was Matthews and dumps him in a canister of some kind after he passes out. ALL WITHIN THE FIRST 20 MINUTES OF THE SHOW.

Oh fuck, now Maxine took off Regal's shoe and sock and is rubbing and massaging his foot with lotion the entire time he's giving commentary for a match.

Ok, the Regal reactions to what she was doing on commentary and when they showed his facial shots were great. Maxine was so fucking sexy. Regal had to be hard during that. Now we are getting a promo for the EPIC Michael McGillicutty vs Tyson Kidd rematch.

RBH

--There is an Internet presale going on today for the WWE No Way Out PPV on 6/17 in East Rutherford, NJ, until midnight Friday. You can get tickets at Ticketmaster using the password WWENEWJERSEY. They are pushing this as the first PPV at the Meadowlands in five years, with John Cena, Sheamus, C.M. Punk and Big Show as headliners. Tickets are also on sale for Raw the next night at the Nassau Coliseum using the password WWELONGISLAND. They are advertising Cena & Punk & Sheamus vs. Chris Jericho & Mark Henry & Daniel Bryan as the main event, not that it isn't going to change eight times between now and that week.

--
Big Daddy V
may be booked as part of the WrestleMania festivities. There was an indie show in Union City, TN on 3/31 where he was a headliner, and promoter Kimala Jr. said they are moving the show to 4/14 due to him being booked by WWE on 3/31.

--More odds from 5dimes.eu using the end of the broadcast rule on the result:

HHH +325
Undertaker -475

C.M. Punk -110
Chris Jericho -130
http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-...gs-angle-wakes-up-new-ufc-main-announced-edge

I just randomly saw an old clip before of Miz cashing in his MitB, you know where the little evil girl in the crowd angry stare originated from lol.

Its funny I remember actually liking Miz back then, now I usually just fast forward whenever hes on. Now no body seems to know where to take his character, he's just floating round there but not there.

Probably cause D-Bry took over his spot and is a million times awesome-er. :D

lolz NXT rookie.

YES! YES! YES!

Kidd and Gabriel? Kidd isn't bad but Johnny Curtis is the only bright spot on NXT (Maxine's fine ass, notwithstanding). He debuted on Smackdown with some vignettes or backstage videos that I can't even remember before being sent down, but now his gimmick of being a weird creep is pretty good and funny. If anyone deserves to move up, it's him. Shouldn't have taken him off Smackdown in the first place.

G-Fex

He is the Shawn Michaels to John Morrison's Marty Jannetty.

Edit: Anyone see Jericho on Fallon? He's about to come on in west coast time.
Exactly. Sooooo HBK material.

Maybe I'm wrong about Gabriel/Kidd? Nah.

Give a push to Reba McIntyre's bro, Drew.

Put him in the main event scene! We don't need old man Jerichno

I just randomly saw an old clip before of Miz cashing in his MitB, you know where the little evil girl in the crowd angry stare originated from lol.

Its funny I remember actually liking Miz back then, now I usually just fast forward whenever hes on. Now no body seems to know where to take his character, he's just floating round there but not there.

This is happening with a ton of WWE talent because they don't really have a mid-card, effectively. Christian, Miz, Truth, Kofi, hell, everyone in the GM vs. GM match just kinda sits idly by when not going for the US/IC title, waiting for their chance to cheat into a month-long title reign before they quickly plummet back to Mid Card Hell.

Miz was great last year because he was a fresh face, and he really felt like someone with something to prove. He had improved drastically and earned his spot. Shortly thereafter, though, he became stale, and no effort was made to maintain any momentum he had. He just kept the same damn interview for the whole fucking year, in fact.

Josh Matthews: "Miz, what do you think about losing this match just minutes ago, after you had guaranteed a win earlier in the night?"

Miz: "What do I think? Do you know who I am? I'm the most MUST-SEE WWE champion in HISTORY! I headlined WRESTLEMANIA! Kofi/Truth/Hornswaggle winning tonight was a FLUKE! It's only a matter of time until I get MY WWE championship BACK, because I'M THE MIZ, and IIIIII'M... AWWWWWEEEEESSOOOOOOME"

Repeat ad nauseum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom