• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangai-o

Banned
I guess I meant a combination of the Main Event and WWE title.

Cena v. Rock = Attitude era v. current shit. Former biggest star v. current biggest star. Guy who never loses might actually lose. Will Rock stay if he wins?
Dwayne bringing the attitude era back via satellite and pandering the crowed.

Kaladin

Mystery Luchador Signs With DGUSA

Dragon Gate USA and EVOLVE prides itself on discovering the best new talent from all over the world. We've seen them come from Japan, Canada, Europe and all over the United States. Now DGUSA has finally traveled south of the border to sign one of today's most promising new stars.

We will keep you in suspense, though. We have decided not to release the name of this mystery luchador. Instead, we will just let him debut on March 29th in Hollywood, FL against Masato Yoshino.

This mystery luchador will then wrestle on the March 30th & 31st DGUSA events in Miami. We have asked PAC if he can join the PAC Invitational Aerial Elimination Match on March 31st and PAC has agreed. This match now pits PAC vs. Rich Swann vs. Lince Dorado vs. the mystery luchador. The mystery luchador will then make his way to EVOLVE 11 in Toronto.

The only clues we will reveal is that this is an upcoming talent who many fans might not know. He has a growing reputation in Mexico. DGUSA officials were so impressed when they saw him recently that he was immediately signed to a contract. Who is this man and will he live up to the hype? We'll find out next week when DGUSA comes to Florida.

Any ideas on who it might be? I'm looking at you Bootaaay.

Any ideas on who it might be? I'm looking at you Bootaaay.

I'm not all that familiar with lucha, especially AAA, and I'd guess that CMLL guys like La Sombra, Volador Jr, La Mascara, Dragon Rojo Jr, etc. are too well known internationally for it to be any of them. Guerrero Maya Jr or Angel Del Oro, maybe? I've heard good things about both.

jmdajr

Here's the latest article from David "Masked Man" Shoemaker:

On John Cena, The Rock, and the conversation-heavy road to Wrestlemania XXVIII

If this is the fruit of the Reality Era, a wrestling world in which "real talk" is interchangeable with violence and where fans have chosen shoot interviews over wrestling tapes, if we're bound to a "reality" where feuds aren't fights but discussions, then it's just rotten fruit.

Hmm so the fans are being party blamed? Pretty good read by the way.

Kaladin

I'm not all that familiar with lucha, especially AAA, and I'd guess that CMLL guys like La Sombra, Volador Jr, La Mascara, Dragon Rojo Jr, etc. are too well known internationally for it to be any of them. Guerrero Maya Jr or Angel Del Oro, maybe? I've heard good things about both.

As long as Gabe doesn't pull a swerve and bring out a Masked Fipper, I'm looking forward to seeing some lucha vs japan action.

RBH

I don't watch too much lucha either, but La Sombra was one of the most impressive guys I've seen in quite awhile.

Probably not him though.

Doubt the mystery luchador is someone form CMLL or AAA, probably Lizmark jr. or someone currently in the USA lucha promotions, unless there´s some type of deal like the CMLL-NJPW ones.

Kaladin

Apparently WWE Legends House just wrapped filming. Either that or something caused Fink to be released from the house (doubt they're doing eliminations or anything like that). He just signed on as a VIP for Wrestlereunion in Toronto and they mentioned he was unable to send the agreement until now due to Legends House.

Kaladin

I found something to do Wed night via pwinsider:

Wednesday March 28th

7 PM - "Girls Gone Dead" premiere - horror comedy film featuring Jerry Lawler in a role at the Colony Theatre (1040 Lincoln Road) in Miami Beach with a cast and director Q&A session after. There will be a 9:30 PM showing as well.

The 7pm showing is sold out, but I got a ticket to the 9:30 showing....this sounds horrible, but there will be some degree of awesome with Lawler in it.

“Girls Gone Dead” is a throwback to the 1980's sex-comedy/horror flicks. The plot centers around six beautiful high school friends who reunite for spring break during their freshman year in college - only to find a sadistic killer with a medieval war hammer has targeted them. The cast features Caley Hayes of "Sex Drive"; Penthouse Pet Ryan Keely; Al Sapienza of "The Soprano's"; Jerry Lawler ("WWE Raw"); Sal 'The Stockbroker' Governale of "The Howard Stern Show"; Beetlejuice from "The Howard Stern Show" - plus supporting roles from Shawn C. Phillips; Janessa Brazil (Penthouse Pet); B-Movie icon Joel D. Wynkoop, Ron Jeremy and more.

It should at least be a fun way to spend Wed evening.

TheNatural

My Member!
The Rock is passing the torch to Cena just like Hogan did for Sting and Bound for Glory last year. And Undertaker will do for Triple H this year.

The Rock is passing the torch to Cena just like Hogan did for Sting and Bound for Glory last year. And Undertaker will do for Triple H this year.

KuGsj.gif

I was tricked at first, very good post.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't get the point of passing the torch this far into the guy's career anyway.

Although I suppose that's better than going too early, and having the torch get fumbled. Like when Arnold told Dwayne "have fun" in the Rundown and the Rock went on to make such awesome movies as the Tooth Fairy without ever having a giant action hit.

I'm not blaming Cena and what I said stands; I honestly can't think of many talents elevated by working in a feud with Cena. It doesn't matter that he's only doing what the writers give him, the effect is still the same - Cena benefits, others don't, because the focus is entirely on making Cena look as strong as possible in every given situation.

Punk, I guess? That's the only one I can really think of, and even that was also just a whirlwind of awesome that came together just right--anti-PG, legit confusion re: Punk's contract, anti-Cena's stranglehold on the WWE and his boring style, it was in Chicago, great back-and-forth with McMahon, etc.-- only to slowly putter out after MitB because WWE can't book long-term for shit.

I don't get the point of passing the torch this far into the guy's career anyway.

Although I suppose that's better than going too early, and having the torch get fumbled. Like when Arnold told Dwayne "have fun" in the Rundown and the Rock went on to make such awesome movies as the Tooth Fairy without ever having a giant action hit.

Yeah, it's kind of funny that Rock is supposedly passing the torch to someone that's wrestledfor twice as long as he did, haha. It's also pointless, because the only people that would care about Rocky passing the torch are the exact same people who wouldn't accept Cena "receiving" the torch anyway.

BFIB

Agreed. The one thing that always got under my skin was hearing Austin and Rock talk about the need to put people over when you feel its time to call it quits. Yet, neither of them did that on the way out, and Cena has been around for far too long to be "handed a torch".

Zack Ryder debuted in his current gimmick months before Jersey Shore began to air...

yep
wikipedia said:
Ryder made his return to ECW on May 5, 2009 in a backstage segment with General Manager Tiffany. He now sported short hair, tanned skin, sunglasses, a headband, half-trunks/half-tights, displaying something of an arrogant Long Island guido character and more frequent uses of catchphrases "woo woo woo" and "you know it", that he had used sparingly in the tag team.
jersey shore first aired in december of that year

Agreed. The one thing that always got under my skin was hearing Austin and Rock talk about the need to put people over when you feel its time to call it quits. Yet, neither of them did that on the way out, and Cena has been around for far too long to be "handed a torch".

Cena doesn't deserve to lick the Rocks boots. The Rock should legit fuck him up, and leave him with a black eye.

DKehoe

Was listening to an interview with Low Ki on the observer site. As talented as he is, the guy is such an asshole. Was talking about how he might shoot on green guys because they don't deserve to be in the ring, Punk & Bryan aren't real world champions because they aren't in there with guys that can really go in the ring, how if he is in there with a guy who has a weakness he isn't going to help them cover up. The guy could have been something special but seems impossible to work with.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Was listening to an interview with Low Ki on the observer site. As talented as he is, the guy is such an asshole. Was talking about how he might shoot on green guys because they don't deserve to be in the ring, Punk & Bryan aren't real world champions because they aren't in there with guys that can really go in the ring, how if he is in there with a guy who has a weakness he isn't going to help them cover up. The guy could have been something special but seems impossible to work with.

Him demanding to be released after a relatively short amount of time made him look like a dick to me. You're not going to get pushed to the moon right off the bat, man.

The rock spent the last 2 years before mania 20 putting people over.

Now Austin was the guy with a problem who quit because he didn't want to lose to Brock.

The Rock put over Evolution, Goldberg, Hurricane (kinda), and Brock Lesnar. The only matches he won since 2002 were with Hogan, a triple threat to get his 7th Title reign, and a tag match against Jericho and Christian.

RBH

It sucks because Low Ki is one of my favorites to watch in the ring, but all of the behind-the-scenes stuff is hard to ignore sometimes.

Kaladin

I always knew Low Ki was a bit of a diva. If he wasn't so awkward in promos he would have been gold with LayCool. I'd say he's earned a bit of arrogance with his ring ability, but there is a fine line between arrogance and ass.

BFIB

The rock spent the last 2 years before mania 20 putting people over.

Now Austin was the guy with a problem who quit because he didn't want to lose to Brock.

Yeah, I see your point there. I guess I just thought the Rock or Austin would have that big WM match where the next elevated talent would be put over.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Low Ki's biggest weakness is Low Ki.

DKehoe

People talking about the Low Ki interview on the Observer board brought up this great story someone posted that I thought I'd share

JAPW and CZW had huge heat at the time, but CZW had shown interest in Ki, the Haas Brothers, and The Hit Squad, so they started using them all. As dumb as it sounds, it lead to one of the bigger dream matches in NJ indy rasslin at the time: Ki vs Ric Blade. They did like three matches total together: January 2000 in CZW, one for New Millennium Wrestling in early February 2000, and then one like a week later for CZW that was a ladder match between Ki, Blade and Mercury. Blade got hurt during the match (Low Ki had nothing to do with it either, Blade fucked himself up coming off a basketball hoop and putting Mercury through a table while Ki was selling *he actually did that back then* near the ring and couldn't see what happened) and couldn't do everything that was planned. Ki, being Ki, has always had to get his shit in. So the dude just starts flipping out in front of the crowd because he thinks it's some kind of screw job/set up, with CZW trying to fuck him over for being a JAPW guy or whatever. Everyone is standing around wondering what to do because he won't calm down. So security dude just decides "fuck it" and scoops Ki up in his arms, mid-tantrum, as if he were a child throwing a hissy fit and carries him to the back. The Hit Squad tried to intervene too, and got in a shoving match with security. Neither Ki or the Hit Squad were brought back.

For whatever reason CZW edited it off the video they sold and that picture is the only image from a forgotten moment in indy rasslin' lore.

34fd7qu.jpg

Jamie OD

He's having matches with Masaaki Mochizuki and Ricochet in DGUSA soon. He'll have no problem stiffing the crap out of Ricochet but I bet you he won't be so eager when he's in the ring with Mochi.

Him demanding to be released after a relatively short amount of time made him look like a dick to me. You're not going to get pushed to the moon right off the bat, man.

He didn't ask for his release, that was just the "official" story. And the problem with his promos is that his promos are pretty similar to Randy Orton's (in terms of pacing, intensity) but he wasn't allowed to do that in a world where there exists a Randy Orton.

Cena is getting to the point in his career where he should be the one putting over more guys clean. He's far too protected against the heels who are allowed to get the occasional win against him.

You guys are all wrong about Zack Rydar. He is from my home town and his gimmick is based on a YouTube video called "My New Haircut" which was made in 2006 and was a very popular viral video on Long Island at the time. Check it out for yourselves. Similar to Jersey Shore but not quite. He really had perfect timing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom