• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Kevin Nash Reveals Why His Match With CM Punk Didn't Happen
Posted by Jeremy Thomas on 03.23.2012

--Kevin Nash spoke today about why his match with CM Punk was derailed after Summerslam and more. Check out the highlights:

On why his match with Punk didn't happen: "I'll tell you what nobody knows about this entire thing. I never went into it and WWE never went into it because of the privacy issue. What happened was, because of the wellness program, because my dad died of a heart attack at 36 years old, they do beyond a thorough physical. Well, my heart and everything else was fine, but I'm on Plavix and Plavix is a blood platelet agulator; they call it a blood thinner. It's not, it stops your platelets from sticking together so you don't get cardiovascular disease and blockages in your arteries and have a heart attack. it's also for stroke. It's very common to take with a statin drug if you have anybody in your heredity who died before 50 let alone having a father who died of a massive coronary at age 36. So I was on Plavix. So this comes through. When the doctor sees I'm on Plavix, I can't wrestle. So now I'm supposed to wrestle C.M. Punk. I can't. They won't medically clear me. Triple H has to take my spot. It screws up the entire angle. That's how all that came about. WWE would never - because that's the class of the program - let that come out, but I need to make sure people realize it wasn't Creative's [fault], it was that a 52 year old guy was on Plavix and I had to go off it. I had to be off it for a certain amount of time before I could go back to work. It just so happened that I was finishing the Soderbergh film "Magic Mike" at the time, and I had to go shoot that, so it coincided with me going away for a while. I took the shot with the sledgehammer in Buffalo at Night of Champions and that got me away until I could be clear, and then I came back and we went into the match with Paul [Triple H] and I. At that point, Phil [C.M. Punk] and I sort of missed our opportunity to have that match. That's the true untold story that I give only Wade Keller (laughs)."

On the storyline being rewritten on the fly: "When my blood work came back and threw such a wrench into everything, it was, 'Oh my God how are we going to get out of it?' We had to drag Paul and then this in it and this in it and that in it. Can he work? Can he not work? Can we still get this match out of him? So that's where the dialogue between Phil and I were getting was changing up until show time. It wasn't because creative was unprepared, it was because I kept shuffling the deck. Oh, we're playing Texas Hold 'em. No, we're playing Indian Poker. (laughs) I kept throwing these things into it and completely throwing wrenches into what they were trying to get done. It got to the point where we got that match out of me and they were just like… I wanted to be on Plavix. Do I need to not be on Plavix and take a risk of having a heart attack and stroke or do I want to work. That's where this whole situation kind of came to. That's what transpired."

On who was supposed to be the man who texted him: "It would have been Johnny [Laurinaitis]. It would have been Johnny trying to end around and me trying to say that Paul had changed because he was a blue blood now and he wasn't Clique. He was in the McMahon threshold. We were going to get a Johnny Ace clique of guys to try to take over control of the company, that's when Vince would have gotten fired, and then we would have been after Paul and try to take control of the company. You know, good storyline."

On getting the call to appear at SummerSlam: "I got a call and they said 'Can you be at SummerSlam and can you stick Punk and let Del Rio grab the strap?' And I went 'yes.' (laughs) I'm not that dumb. Whoa! You're talking about disappearing from the Rumble and coming back. I got that second pop when I showed up at Summersrlam and stuck him. People were, like, what the hell. I thought it was excellently booked. It was just screwed up because I was on Plavix."

G-Fex

SHE HAS RETURNED

tumblr_m1bsjn4Gu81r8ubbko6_1280.jpg

AopTAIJCEAElMKh.jpg

So that's where she went

But yet there's still stupid divas on tv go figure

RBH

steveovig

Pretty boring Smackdown or is this how SD usually is? The AJ/Bryan stuff in the beginning was pure gold though. I'd love if DB kept the belt after Mania but I doubt that will happen. As long as they continue to push him a little and give him TV time, I'll be happy.

http://stevegraps.blogspot.com

Clegg

Too bad WWE hates Canada. Plus they were in Montreal. HBK+Montreal = "YOU SCREWED BRET YOU SCREWED BRET YOU SCREWED BRET" x Infinity.

I know Montreal hates HBK but he really got them worked up during that promo. He had them wrapped around his little finger the reactions he got were glorious.

Right now the WWE has very few wrestlers that could cut a promo as good as that one. Jericho and Punk are the only 2 in the same league. Thats what the WWE is missing imo. Top level orators that can get the fans to really hate them.

John Cena on his mania match

"I just hope it delivers. The Rock's in his physical peak; I certainly am. WrestleMania's going to be a big day. It's been known for moments that can change the direction of the company for certainly the next year. I kind of like where we are now, but if something happens, we'd be fools to ignore the tide."

I predict absolutely nothing will change as a result of the Rock/Cena match and WWE will continue to ignore the tide.

Rock/Cena will hug it out at the end or the Miz will get involved and will continue to be baffled by why WWE keeps pushing the miz even though he nearly kills himself and others on a regular basis.

G-Fex

I heard last Wrestlemania sucked.

I'm sure this one will too.

Anyone want to tell me what they think the Worst Wrestlemania has been for them?

Clegg

I heard last Wrestlemania sucked.

I'm sure this one will too.

Anyone want to tell me what they think the Worst Wrestlemania has been for them?

Wrestlemania 9 has to be the worst. I saw it for the first time a few years ago and it was juat awful. The card was shit and so was the crowd. The Undertaker vs Giant Gonzalez was one of the main events and its one of the worst matches I've ever seen. Gonzalez had painted on abs.

There was an Ancient Rome theme so I had to witness JR wearing nothing but a toga. It was horrific.

DMczaf

Wrestlemania 9 has to be the worst. I saw it for the first time a few years ago and it was juat awful. The card was shit and so was the crowd. The Undertaker vs Giant Gonzalez was one of the main events and its one of the worst matches I've ever seen. Gonzalez had painted on abs.

There was an Ancient Rome theme so I had to witness JR wearing nothing but a toga. It was horrific.

WWF Championship Match

Bret Hart (C) vs Yokozuna

Winner: Hulk Hogan

WWF Championship Match

Bret Hart (C) vs Yokozuna

Winner: Hulk Hogan

Cena needs a moment like that. After Jericho defeats Punk at WM, Cena comes to the ring, challenge Jericho, defeats him in 10 seconds and makes hes match against Rock for the WWE championship like he promise it.

Clegg

WM 20 to 24 where all absent of classic matches and memorable moments as far as I can remember.

***** ****** vs HHH vs HBK

HBK vs Angle

HBK vs Ric Flair

All of the classic mania matches in the last 10 years have involved HBK.

His matches against Jericho at 19 and Undertaker at 25&26 are all time classics too imo.

***** ****** vs HHH vs HBK

HBK vs Angle

HBK vs Ric Flair

All of the classic mania matches in the last 10 years have involved HBK.

His matches against Jericho at 19 and Undertaker at 25&26 are all time classics too imo.

ahh... thought that was 25.

Forgot there was 2 HBK vs taker matches.

Clegg

ahh... thought that was 25.

Forgot there was 2 HBK vs taker matches.

HBK vs Flair was only decent imo.

HBK did his best but Flair just wasn't capable of having a great match anymore.

It's remembered as a classic because of the Flair retirement angle and HBK not wanting to be the man to end his career. Of course Flair ruined it by deciding to make a comeback but I still think it was a classic.

HBK vs Flair was only decent imo.

HBK did his best but Flair just wasn't capable of having a great match anymore.

It's remembered as a classic because of the Flair retirement angle and HBK not wanting to be the man to end his career. Of course Flair ruined it by deciding to make a comeback but I still think it was a classic.

well as far as flair matches in the past 10 years go it was probably his best.

I remember being a bit surprised at some of the bumps during that match. Like Flair just didnt give a fuck and was going for broke because it was gonna be his final match.

I should probably rewatch it.

Clegg

well as far as flair matches in the past 10 years go it was probably his best.

I remember being a bit surprised at some of the bumps during that match. Like Flair just didnt give a fuck and was going for broke because it was gonna be his final match.

I should probably rewatch it.

Yeah its definitely worth a rewatch.

The botched announcers table spot was pretty brutal imo.

DMczaf

Hogan said he was going to pass the torch to Bret later.

Hogan also said he passed the torch to Warrior at WM6.

Hogan has been passing the torch for like 25 years.

There aren't too many great Manias in general. Really the only great WrestleManias I think are III, X-Seven, and XIX. There are been a couple good ones (X, X8, XX, 21, XXIV), a few stinkers (II,IX, XI) and the rest are okay.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'd probably switch XIX and X8. The Rock/Hogan was a fantastic match. XIX is probably my fourth favorite.

G-Fex

Hogan said he was going to pass the torch to Bret later.

Hogan also said he passed the torch to Warrior at WM6.

Hogan has been passing the torch for like 25 years.
I'm sure Hogan needed that Championship more than Bret did.

G-fex's prediction for the day.

HHH is the new HHH

Aiii

So not worth it
imagefzh.jpg

I love how AJ is always in character.

Never break AJ and Bryan up WWE! Keep Bryan as champ and make AJ the next Divas champ. They're gonna be the greatest couple in WWE history.

Garou

As a casual viewer, how far off is this theory:

Undertaker and HHH go back and forth with finishers all over the place, then HHH finally gets the upper hand, pins him and Shawn only counts till 2 because he doesn't want to acknowledge HHH is better than him.

Some more shenanigans follow and Undertaker wins. So the streak lives but HHH kind of broke the streak for real this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom