• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

trunbuns

i could have sworn you guys hated Rey back when he was on TV.

I think he's one of the best over the last 10 years in wwe.

I think Punk said he was his favourite person to work with as well. Injuries and age have taken their toll but he can still pull off a better match than a lot of the current roster.

I don't think anyone hated Rey, but I do recall hating his Superman shit.
Especially grating because his offense never looks that great, but he apparently always gets criticals when the 619 hits

Kaladin

There were two things I liked about Rey lately.

1) His series with Alberto Del Rio

2) Interesting 619 variations and counters

That's about all I can think of.

After watching Smackdown, I'm feeling D.Bryan vs Sheamus is much more like Chris Jericho vs Edge: including trying to get the crowd stupid shit.
SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR!
Wait does this mean that the fans are being made to chant BROGUE! BROGUE! BROGUE!?
I guess i'll find out later.

i could have sworn you guys hated Rey back when he was on TV.
I find him kind of grating in storylines and such since he's always in the same role and he usually comes out on top in the end because he's the ultimate underdog.

Removed from stories and taking his matches on their own he's pretty great even if his knees are knackered, basically I enjoy him infinitely more on dvd compilations. Right now he's off tv so I kind of miss him but honestly i'll probably grow weary of his act shortly after he returns since WWE wont change anything about him, but the matches will still likely be great (excluding the uncanny flops into the second rope that only happen when he's about).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Superman in what sense? I'd wager he's lost more feuds, and matches, than just about any other established face on the roster.

Sheeit, I wouldn't say that. I'd make a bet on that. Though Batista did come out on top in Glorious Batista Era so I shouldn't complain.

bangai-o

Banned
well the comments were usually "super rey, same old shit etc"

thinking back i dont even recall Rey very often in wcw. I remember Psycosis and Juventud all the time. But Rey was only every so often. He had some creepy type of entrance music is all i really remember.

Lunchbox

Banned
mysterio was smackdowns cena during 2010 to early 2011

thats when everyone hated him. but blandy orton took that role from him, so he's cool again

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
well the comments were usually "super rey, same old shit etc"

thinking back i dont even recall Rey very often in wcw. I remember Psycosis and Juventud all the time. But Rey was only every so often. He had some creepy type of entrance music is all i really remember.

He had that Final Fantasy music.

Psicosis is by far the superior luchador. Same with Juvi. Juicy juicy juice.

Superman in what sense? I'd wager he's lost more feuds, and matches, than just about any other established face on the roster.

For some reason I always think of him winning all the time but he does at least have his fair share of losses, especially if he's in range of the title or champion himself.
Remember how he won the WWE title last year and then Super Cena unjustly got a title shot for no good reason in the same night and stole away Rey's glory? yeah Rey does not mix well with the title.

Generally though he finishes most feuds as the victor on a whole, well he is a face so I guess it makes sense.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would say most of the luchadors that were around in WCW were better than Mysterio.

Mysterio was still really good back then, though. I enjoyed the 'heavy lucha' of El Dandy and Ciclope as well.

Khrno

After watching Smackdown, I'm feeling D.Bryan vs Sheamus is much more like Chris Jericho vs Edge: including trying to get the crowd stupid shit.

Actually, after seeing Danny's heel turn and the relationship they are showing with AJ, I'm thinking he is looking more and more like Edge, the heel Edge, not the weak-face spear-chants-hating (he hated that chant btw) Edge.

I hope their relationship isn't cut short, both characters are completing and helping each other immensely.

Mr. Sam

mysterio was smackdowns cena during 2010 to early 2011

Was he? He won 2/3 matches with Punk at the start of the year, won the belt at Fatal Fourway with Swagger, lost the belt to Kane at MITB, lost to Kane at SummerSlam, and then lost to Del Rio a week later. That was by August in 2010.

For some reason I always think of him winning all the time but he does at least have his fair share of losses, especially if he's in range of the title or champion himself.
Remember how he won the WWE title last year and then Super Cena unjustly got a title shot for no good reason in the same night and stole away Rey's glory? yeah Rey does not mix well with the title.

Generally though he finishes most feuds as the victor on a whole, well he is a face so I guess it makes sense.

Basically. Of any face that gets strapped with the prefix "Super", Rey seems the least deserving. He's only had two real title reigns, and he got continuously brutalised in both.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Was he? He won 2/3 matches with Punk at the start of the year, won the belt at Fatal Fourway with Swagger, lost the belt to Kane at MITB, lost to Kane at SummerSlam, and then lost to Del Rio a week later. That was by August in 2010.

I seem to remember in either 08 or 09 just brutally abusing Jericho every single time they met up (non-PPV) - in fact, non-PPV will probably paint a very different picture of Rey.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Somehow #TeamWWE is #1 tweet in the world right now.

It looks like people were trying to get it to trend. Hope the WWE universe doesn't try this too often. WWE will up like Justin Bieber and not be allowed to trend at all.

Mysterio was pretty damn great in WCW from '96-'98.

But once he lost the mask, that halted his momentum to me.

Same here. It was pretty dumb for WCW to do that. Apparently Bischoff said he'd be a bigger draw if he lost the mask. (?!?!)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. It was pretty dumb for WCW to do that. Apparently Bischoff said he'd be a bigger draw if he lost the mask. (?!?!)

Yeah, he also expressed regret about it. He didn't realize the importance of the mask at all. But it did give us this gem:

tumblr_lhi3t6Kw9b1qhcc04o1_500.png

Khrno

I seem to remember in either 08 or 09 just brutally abusing Jericho every single time they met up (non-PPV) - in fact, non-PPV will probably paint a very different picture of Rey.

This is how their feud went on

Mysterio executed a 619 on Jericho and then attempted to pin him with a seated senton. Jericho retaliated by throwing a chair at Mysterio and was disqualified. This sparked a feud between the two.
-Mysterio pinned Jericho after a 619 at Judgment Day to retain the Intercontinental Championship.
-Jericho defeated Mysterio in a No Holds Barred Match at Extreme Rules to win his ninth Intercontinental Championship, breaking his own record again.
-At The Bash Jericho lost the Intercontinental title to Mysterio.

Gaf in general was mad at him for not dropping the intercontinental tittle to Ziggler, specially after some internet rumor that said Mysterio didn't want to drop the tittle to him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gaf in general was mad at him for not dropping the intercontinental tittle to Ziggler, specially after some internet rumor that said Mysterio didn't want to drop the tittle to him.

He never did, either. Grrr...

Mr. Sam

2009 was when the two feuded for the intercontinental title. I'm looking at their non-PPV history now - Jericho beat Rey on Raw to win the IC title, and a couple of months later Rey beat Jericho to retain the IC title. Everything else was them interfering in each other's matches (unsurprisingly, Jericho did more of that) or tag team matches. Playah.

He might not have dropped the belt to Ziggler, but he did to Morrison.

XenoRaven

I've always liked Rey. He's the reason I'm even a wrestling fan at all now. My middle school friends convinced me to watch WCW even though I hadn't watched since I was 6. Rey was doing some of the most incredible moves I had ever seen. Dude was like a super hero to me at the time. Unfortunately for him my two favorite Rey moments involve him getting beat up.

1. Jericho reverses top rope Hurricanrana into the Lion Tamer.

2. Finlay pretends to be injured and Rey gets all upset when he has to get carried off on a stretcher. Then Finlay gets up and beats the crap out of Rey. Haha.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
2009 was when the two feuded for the intercontinental title. I'm looking at their non-PPV history now - Jericho beat Rey on Raw to win the IC title, and a couple of months later Rey beat Jericho to retain the IC title. Everything else was them interfering in each other's matches (unsurprisingly, Jericho did more of that) or tag team matches. Playah.

Wah :( Then why did I hate him so? :(

Dammit. I still have a lot of hate for him, but he can put on good matches. I hate his character.

Mr. Sam

Rey and Ziggler put on some amazing matches for the belt though.

You're darn tootin'. The match where Rey dropped the belt to Morrison on SmackDown was also off the hook. Basically, buy this:

tCJJE.jpg

Or, if you prefer your Rey Mysterio DVDs to be more WCW heavy:

YTfwb.jpg

I don't actually like ECW Rey Mysterio. All the matches I've seen are Rey and his lucha buddies doing a flip every three seconds and no-selling like crazy. Like Rey says on his DVD, ECW pretty much just provided a playground for him.

Rey's a good worker. Of course he used to be better, but he's gotten older. He is still a reliable person to go out there and put on a decent match.

People on GAF are the only time I've seen anyone really hate on him though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rey's a good worker. Of course he used to be better, but he's gotten older. He is still a reliable person to go out there and put on a decent match.

I'm still butthurt that he came out on top of the SES feud. Forcing someone into the SES would have been a neat thing. But nooooo~

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

lol. Aww Puppet H was the reason why I watched AYS.

did Gaf like Ziggler back then? wasnt he just doing " Hi! Im Dolph Ziggler." *handshake

I think that was a year after. IIRC he stopped doing that not long after his first suspension.

I wasn't on Gaf back then (though I did lurk WrassleGaf) but I really liked him even back then. I think he really started getting a following after his SummerSlam 09 match with Rey.

I've seen Rey hate in various places, though it's the typical "face hate" you typically see in the IWC.

I'm still butthurt that he came out on top of the SES feud. Forcing someone into the SES would have been a neat thing. But nooooo~
Yeah, the only problem I can see someone have with Rey is that the WWE booking of him has been suspect probably since Eddie passed. But I'm more talking about seeing some people on here say Rey is a bad worker, which is far from the truth in my honest opinion.

He's a marketing machine targeted towards little kids. Every company either has one, or wishes they do. Nothing wrong with, especially if he's still a good wrestler. New Japan has Tiger Mask IV, who is the same thing as Rey, except he's actually lazy in the ring, but was getting huge pushes for the Jr Heavyweight title. (Although that has stopped probably in the last couple of years.)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the only problem I can see someone have with Rey is that the WWE booking of him has been suspect probably since Eddie passed. But I'm more talking about seeing some people on here say Rey is a bad worker, which is far from the truth in my honest opinion.

He's a marketing machine targeted towards little kids. Every company either has one, or wishes they do. Nothing wrong with, especially if he's still a good wrestler. New Japan has Tiger Mask IV, who is the same thing as Rey, except he's actually lazy in the ring, but was getting huge pushes for the Jr Heavyweight title. (Although that has stopped probably in the last couple of years.

Rey is definitely victim to booking and merchandising. It limits his storylines. He can't turn heel. He can't be unmasked (so all ___ vs mask match is obvious anyhow) and he's stuck in a cage. It sucks, because I like a real element of unpredictability.

Rey is definitely victim to booking and merchandising. It limits his storylines. He can't turn heel. He can't be unmasked (so all ___ vs mask match is obvious anyhow) and he's stuck in a cage. It sucks, because I like a real element of unpredictability.
I understand that, and I myself enjoy unpredictable booking, but I don't think predictability is a bad thing. Sometimes it's better for something to be predictable, rather than unpredictable just to be unpredictable. (Which is something we complain about at various times with the WWE.)

I think I don't mind too much either because he's never really been THE top guy. He's held World titles, but he's still never been at the level of Cena and Orton in terms of how the company looks at them.

bangai-o

Banned
i alway liked Juvi the most. He didnt sell out to Conan`s wolfpac like Rey did. I dont think he joined the LWO either. The Juvi-driver into 450 was the shit. THat and he was talkin cross promo shit with The Rock.

Mr. Sam

Rey's not predictable in terms of heel turns or unmaskings (though I'd question the extent to which either actually limit him), but he can feasibly win or lose any match he's in. I was as surprised when he won the world title from Jack Swagger as I was when the lost to Kane at SummerSlam.

Kaladin

The roof overhead should protect the ring and equipment in case of light rain...not sure what they would do with thunder and lightning.

I know one thing, Undertaker would have an awesome entrance in the rain.

The roof overhead should protect the ring and equipment in case of light rain...not sure what they would do with thunder and lightning.

That he would, I mean he's already had an entrance that involved him being torched by fire so rain wouldn't phase him.

bangai-o

Banned

holeeshit. what if Undertaker harnesses the power of the thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom