• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't a good Wrestlemania, but I don't consider it to be WrestleCrap worthy because there was still some good stuff on the show (Edge/Del Rio despite the finish, Rey/Cody, HHH/Taker, Punk/Orton).

9 and 11? Now THOSE were WrestleCrap worthy.

RBH will never disparage anything to do with Georgia.

Ultratech

Seems odd, as he generally seems to like most of the action on the show (Edge/Del Rio, Rey/Cody, Taker/HHH, Orton/Punk)

Which isn't that bad

The overall package.. was oddly plotted

Seems about right from what I remember. There were a few good matches in there, but the stuff that was bad...it was AWFUL.

Really, it's not that atypical of some of the PPVs they've done. But Wrestlemania is supposed to be one of those annual "momentous" events, and XXVII didn't really give off that feel after watching it.

4 hour RAW is a pretty good description.

Penguin

It seriously felt like a 4 hour RAW episode.

Oh I think I said as much earlier.

The first 4-5 minutes felt like a really great episode of Raw. Just not like the biggest show of the year.

Cole/King pretty much killed my interest. And as much as the WWE tries to sell it, Triple H/Taker isn't the redeemer.

I've been meaning to watch it on DVD/Blu-Ray for awhile now, but haven't gotten around to doing so, partly because I fear it will ruin the few good feelings I had about the show.

Exactly. I had a great time at everything I went to (ROH, Axxess, Hall of Fame, Raw the night after) but Wrestlemania itself was just a chore to sit through in my opinion. The overall experience was amazing, just a shame I picked that one to go to.

Kaladin

It was a good show tonight. The Dragon Gate USA portion was one great match after another. Aside from a few problems with the top rope being loose on one side, everything went well. Uhaa Nation might have got injured while doing a dive because that top rope messed him up and he hit the floor hard...no update on that. The mystery luchadore that fought Yoshino tonight was Samurai Del Sol....and he was awesome. Kept with with Yoshino every step of the way.

Oh and the CZW portion of the show.....well, there were light tubes....

9vj4n.jpg

Must see matches:

Low Ki vs Bobby Fish
Masato Yoshino vs Samurai Del Sol
PAC vs AR Fox

I'm watchin' some 2004 RAW/Smackdown. The biggest difference between that and today is just...they have so much more talent back then. There's actual tag teams, with title defenses and junk(Dudleyz, Hardy Boys, La Resistance, etc). There's like...actually good female wrestlers like Trish, Lita, Victoria, and Mickie James. Eric Bischoff/Paul Heyman >>> Johnny/Teddy Long as General Manager characters. HHH as asshole champ you want Chris Benoit to beat. Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, Christain, Eddie Guerrero(before he died), Kurt Angle(before he went nuts), Brock Lesnar(before he leaves!) Rey Mysterio(before the burritos), Edge, RVD, Booker T(before SHUCKY DUCKY QUACK QUACK), The Hurricane, the whole 9 nine yards. And this is with the whole Smackdown vs Raw thing, btw. They had a big enough roster of talent that they could put on two good wrestling shows a week, with their own cast of characters, and storylines, and championships to feud over. Nowadays it's like the whole cast of Smackdown shows up on RAW whenever they need them, so Smackdown feels like filler and it's painfully obvious how small the talent pool is at the WWE right now.

That, and JR on the mic. He's really the best. He makes even the dumbest shit sound amazing, and because he cares so much, I care as well.

And the crowds are just so HOT back then, even in the post-Attitude Era. They get crazy when Eddie Guerrero mounts a bloody comeback against Angle. They really get into all of Thugonomics John Cena's shtick. They boo the FUCK out of HHH when he drones on about being the best WHC in history and shit. The audience becomes a part of the show, they bring everything to another level, along with the huge talent pool and good commentary, and it all combines into this pretty damn engaging soap opera of sweaty guys(and girls!) fighting each other.

Striker

The primary problem with RAW in that 2003-2004 time was Triple H running the show. It got really stale eventually. Smackdown was where the action was, and it was a great time. Probably the best tenure of wrestling/stories we've had since. Eight years ago.

On the Diva subject, it's not like the WWE hadn't had talented female wrestlers. Beth Phoenix, Gail Kim, Mickie James, and Natalya all have wrestled in a WWE ring in the past few years. It's the fact they do nothing but give dumb, random pushes to Kelly Kelly and had previously to Alicia Fox and Eve. Not that Eve is bad, she's just a marginal talent compared to those others. Even Melina in her own right was decent, and had good matches on Superstars with Gail Kim while on RAW we had roll up central with Kelly week in and week out.

The best parts about RAW right now, in 2004 is definitely this Jericho-Christain-Trish storyline. This shit had me turning in every week to see what would happen next. I think this was a really fun program, that gave these three a forward momentum for several months since it started back in late 2003.

There's also this Foley-Orton thing. Randy Orton 2004 kinda sucks, I'll be honest. He's green as fuck on the mic, and his in-ring work just isn't there yet, but he's getting a big push anyway because of his legacy and because he's part of Evolution. He's lucky he's feuding with Foley, who knows how to bring good ring psychology out of anybody, there's two great PPV matches with them coming up, the Rock/Sock Connection vs Orton/Batista, and that Hardcore brawl at Backlash.

tm24

The mystery luchadore that fought Yoshino tonight was Samurai Del Sol....and he was awesome. Kept with with Yoshino every step of the way.

How did the crowd react to Samuray? I feel like some people might have been disappointed since he's been in some CZW shows and plenty of other shows He's not exactly some unknown rising star like the press release made it out to be.

But regardless, Samuray is fucking awesome. Here's a few matches of his and a highlight vid with crappy music

Highlight vid

Samuray vs Arik Cannon

Samuray vs Tim Donst

Samuray vs El Generico

Lunchbox

Banned
The primary problem with RAW in that 2003-2004 time was Triple H running the show. It got really stale eventually. Smackdown was where the action was, and it was a great time. Probably the best tenure of wrestling/stories we've had since. Eight years ago.
2001-2004 smackdown had better quality matches/storylines than the attitude era.

the smackdown six
angle-lesner putting on 5 star matches on tv for free
eddie, benoit, rhyno, cena, mysterio, undertaker in the upper midcard switching between US title/feud/main event pushes
vince was pretty much smackdown exclusive with feuds with hogan
JBL playing the HHH role better than HHH
tag teams every where
cruiser weight division

then on raw you had the hhh show and promoted as the "flagship" wwe show. And as soon as someone gains some momentum on smackdown, drag him to raw and feed him to evolution

fuck this company

Kaladin

How did the crowd react to Samuray? I feel like some people might have been disappointed since he's been in some CZW shows and plenty of other shows He's not exactly some unknown rising star like the press release made it out to be.

But regardless, Samuray is fucking awesome

He won over the crowd in the end and
even won the match which tells me Gabe has high hopes for him.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Yeah, the DGUSA/CZW show was tons of fun. I posted my thoughts in the meetup thread, so I'll just quote the pertinent bits here:

I just got home and had some food and then proceeded to shower to get all the glass bits off me.

I got there late and I ended having a seat right in the front where, i shit you not, all the outside spots spilled out into. I had to get up constantly. It was fantastic. I only wish I had my glasses so I didn't have to shield my eyes so much from the glass flying at me during the CZW matches. Still can't say I'm a fan of CZW, but I have massive respect for the love for the business those guys must have to do what they do. And I was entertained as all hell, no doubt.

The Dragon Gate show was predictably awesome throughout. I'd be happy if the ROH show tomorrow is half as good as that was.

Best part of the night was during the PAC vs. AR Fox match when PAC spilled out of the ring and leaned on my knees to catch his breath long enough for me to go "Hey PAC, you're fucking awesome and all but I think I'm gonna get out of the way", to which he just grunted and nodded. Two seconds later, Fox flies out of the ring and spills onto PAC and all the chairs in the area I had just vacated.

Scary part of the night was poor Uhaa getting hurt on a similar spot in the three way elimination main event. It looked like they only caught his lower body so his back/head hit hard on the floor while his legs got extended. As they helped him out, it seemed like he was limping, so it might have been his legs more than anything. :/

Low Ki is in CZW? Those two were meant for each other.

He's in DGUSA.

So it is entirely possible I may not be able to go to the Chikara/ROH double show at the end of next month as a result of my new work schedule. This is perhaps disappointing.

Isn't that the other song by Flo Rida "Wild Ones"

Thanks. Is that one tied to a specific wrassler? The way I figure it:

Flo Rida - Good Feeling = The Rock
MGK - Invincible = John Cena
Metallica - Memory Remains = Undertaker v. Triple H
Madonna - Girl Gone Wild = Divas Tag Match
Flo Rida - Wild Ones = Six Man Tag Match??

Jamie OD

Ahhh, the Limp Bizkit era.

Interesting from the comments:

1984-1993 (Golden era)
1994-1997 (New Gen era)
1997-2001 (Attitude era)
2002-2005 (Ruthless aggression era(2002-2004)/ post attitude era) {{{{{{{
2005-2011 (John Cena era / age of orton (2007-2009))
2011- ------ (Troll era)

Fixed it for you.

DXPett1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom