• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What is on the line Sunny?

If Bryan wins and you have YES!, the loser has to wear a Bryan av for a week. If Haitch wins, loser has a Haitch av for a week. Low impact stuff. One week ain't shit! This ain't no Archie Apocalypse.

Sephzilla

Big Show's coming back on Friday. Didn't really know he was gone.

Vince still wants people to love him like Andre

I'm honestly surprised Big Show isn't getting that much "go away" heat at all. Nobody seems interested in him at all anymore and he pretty much kills the momentum of any story he's thrown into these days.

Aiii

So not worth it
If Bryan wins and you have YES!, the loser has to wear a Bryan av for a week. If Haitch wins, loser has a Haitch av for a week. Low impact stuff. One week ain't shit! This ain't no Archie Apocalypse.

Okay,

May I suggest we do #YES and #NO instead?

Disagree.

tumblr_mqu7c03dOF1rldk2qo1_400.gif

his theme is so good

Vince still wants people to love him like Andre

I'm honestly surprised Big Show isn't getting that much "go away" heat at all. Nobody seems interested in him at all anymore and he pretty much kills the momentum of any story he's thrown into these days.
Big Show started sucking when he stopped doing his chokeslam, that was about the only redeeming part about him.

Actually he probably started sucking way before that but I'm trying to be nice.

gurudyne

Part 1

Main Event: World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant with Bobby Heenan

ikPN6fbdQZURu.gif
i0CvsktoPCjPQ.gif

Monsoon hails this as equal parts immovable-object-meets-unstoppable-force and a brother-versus-brother matchup. We go backstage where Andre speaks for the first time tonight. He's very confident, matter of factly proclaiming that he's walking away as the champion. Heenan horns in an grabs his own glory, yelling about how he'll go down in history as the manager of the world champion.

Andre: "Gene, you see me now, and I'm going to the ring and believe me, it's not going to take me too long to return in front of this camera with the world championship belt around my waist."

Next up is the video package. Hogan's helped Giant out of tight spots in the past and the two were "close as brothers", but when Hulk shows up at an award ceremony honoring Andre's fifteen year winning streak and makes everything about him while wearing his title belt, it's too much for Andre to handle. He walks offstage without a word, leaving his award (which was smaller than an award given to Hogan earlier in the night) behind. On the next Piper's Pit, Andre's all business as he, with his new manager Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, challenges Hogan to a title match--Andre's first--HERE TONIGHT AT WRESTLEMANIA 3! Hulk begs off for the sake of the friendship, so Andre tears Hulk's shirt and crucifix off and walks away. Piper asks if Hulk will accept the challenge. Hogan's response?

idKYxEk2NhCnm.gif

We cut to Okerlund interviewing Hulk. Hulk's worried, guys. Not for the people around the world, not for the people watching on CCTV, but for the people who stuffed the Interstates full to get to the arena today because what are they gonna do, brother, when the Hulkster picks up the Giant and slams him down with enough thunder to cause an earthquake? What will they think when that ground shakes at his boots? **FLEX**

idWxey1i9ZtnP.gif

Gene: "We could conceivably blow the roof off this great facility, the Silverdome. Right now, let's go back to the booth!"

The great Howard Finkel introduces the ring announcer and it's none other than Mr. Baseball and resident stalker, Bob Uecker! He must have given up on/received his cease-and-desist from Moolah, because two Federettes accompany him to the ring. Uecker takes the mic to introduce celebrity timekeeper Mary Hart. If they bring back Alice Cooper and Aretha Franklin, then we'll have all four celebrities back for the ME. No such luck though. Andre makes his way out first and we finally get to something I actually know about this PPV. The cart that's brought so many wrestlers to the ring up until now was meant mostly for Andre, whose legs were giving him trouble at this time. He rides down with class, waving at the audience even as garbage rains down on his shoulders.

i2VAPpUzuGUPj.gif

Ventura: "There he is, seven foot five, 525. Neck: 24, chest: 71, biceps: 21, hands: 16, wrists: 11 inches, forearms: 17, thighs: 36, calves 22. And I just gave you the tale of the tape!"

Real American hits and everyone's on their feet.

ibvBbNVySZCQ8M.gif
izg7U2xEP5BJJ.gif

Ventura: "Let me run it down: Hogan. Six foot eight, 294, Neck: 21, chest: 58, biceps at a phenomenal 24 inches, forearms: 18, wrists: 9 inches, hands: 13 and a half, thighs: 30 and a half, calves 20. That's the tale of the tape!"

Both men are in the ring now and the crowd is fucking ecstatic. Everyone's on their feet as the two men step up and stare one another down. It's been said before and I'll say it again--it's the small things that make main events seem larger than life. Ventura's tale of the tape frames the story, the audience's flash photography takes huge, monumental moments and makes them even bigger. Every late-80's camera flash going off in the audience adds to the spectacle. And as we (re)learned from the Wyatts/Shield match at EC14, a staredown is just the best damned way to start a massively anticipated matchup.

ibnboZEgLU5Eu2.gif

And the match is underway! Hulk blocks an overhand punch, then unloads on the challenger and goes for the slam but no, he can't lift him! He falls back with Andre in his arms and it's a pin--1, 2--was that three?! Ref's waiving his arms frantically, signalling the timekeeper that no, Hulk got his shoulder up in time. Andre kicks the prone Hulkster then starts focusing the back which is no surprise since Hulk's kept it no secret he intends to body slam the giant. More garbage into the ring. Either the fans are pilfering the garbage bins, or the entire front row audience is shitfaced from so much beer. Andre slams Hogan--once, twice! He yells for the American hero to stand up and when Hogan doesn't respond, Andre walks right over him. He picks Hogan up and it's on to hard Irish whips. Hulk's back is getting slammed into the turnbuckles repeatedly. Andre's all but laughing here. He bashes Hogan into the corner like a bug and follows it up with a headbutt.

Ventura: "How much punishment can one man take?"

Hulk slips between Andre's legs and he's starting to mount an offense. Elbows to the forehead! He drives the Giant into the corner and bashes his head into the top turnbuckle 10 times! He goes for a running clothesline and Andre lays him out with a boot. Hogan rises and steps right into a bearhug. Hogan's fading, as is the video feed at this point. (Something wrong with the footage it looks like.) He tries fighting his way out, but no good. Andre cinches the hold tighter.

Hogan breaks out after a near KO. He tries using running shoulder blocks to take down the Giant, but Andre's having none of it. A clothesline later and Hogan's down again. Action spills to the outside. Hulk's leaning against a post for breath. Andre goes for a headbutt--Hulk dodges and Andre brains himself. While Andre recovers, Hulk exposes the concrete and goes for a piledriver. (What a face!)

ib0kWIq8AfLG7q.gif

Action gets back in the ring avoiding the countout. Andre Irish whips and goes for a big boot--he misses! Hulk uses the momentum and throws a clothesline--the Giant is down! Hulk's hulking up! The audience has gone rabid. Andre makes his way to his feet and Hogan picks him up! Body slam! Body slam!

inDnk2l9tUF76.gif
ibyJGf0bSCZSQB.gif
ibak57JGhTL1JP.gif

Andre's fifteen year undefeated streak has come to an end! Your Once and Future Champion, Hulk Hogan! Listen to the ovation! Twenty four inch pythons and Real American leads us to Aretha Franklin playing us out.

-------------------------FIN-------------------------​

Good show with some fun-if-not-great matches, (save for the IC championship of course,) but it was long. There was so much here that I couldn't digest it all in one sitting. There was also a lot of formula. Most matches where a heel won basically followed the same plot--manager (Hart, Slick or Heenan) interfered, heel got the roll up, faces beat down the heels. Led to a lot of unsatisfying moments, like the Roberts match. I can't say there was too much out-and-out bad about the show though. Even the third match wasn't forks-in-eyes awful, just embarrassing in a way only wrestling promoters can enjoy. Steamboat-Savage was everything I expected it to be, Piper's match was a lot of fun, I enjoyed the Full Nelson Challenge and the ME had some sloppy spots, but was entertaining to watch--even if the heel-face alignment was backwards.

Extra GIFS

ibdOtjty9930hp.gif
iby8BVMHUEicov.gif
ibmLhBJ7UxxJ1g.gif

jmdajr

It's tough being a legit baby face.

D.Bry had so much to work with as Heel and Comedy Side kick. So obviously he has some range, but lets face it, he can't go all Stone Cold. It's not believable at all.

It has to be more HBK/Hitman style. I'll show you who the best wrestler is!

Punk cheated. All he did was shoot all the time and try to be all Deadpool.
Yeah I like Punk, and sometimes his shoots were simply hinted wink* wink*, but that's not D. Bry's style.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Neither is an Irish whip. If you're looking for believability in wrestling, you're being silly.

No, I completely disagree and I call that as being a bullshit comparison. There's nothing wrong with wanting something to look believable. That's not being silly.

D.Bry had so much to work with as Heel and Comedy Side kick. So obviously he has some range, but lets face it, he can't go all Stone Cold. It's not believable at all.

Yeah I like Punk, and sometimes his shoots were simply hinted wink* wink*, but that's not D. Bry's style.
He should try to follow a Kurt Angle career path. Although he isn't as good a speaker as Angle is from what I've seen, Angle had a good ability to shift from comedy and serious roles and I think Bryan can pull that off.

Hasney

Yup. I wish they'd just let his actions speak louder than words though. be short-tempered enough so he just kicks the shit out of anyone who crosses him now after all the screw-jobs he's had.

I'm going to be optimistic with this avatar shizz. I'm also being a self-hater in a way, because I will watch TNA every week between Mania and Backlash if he loses. I don't think they'd be stupid enough to have an old-timey HHH burial. Surely not when he's this over...

booker-t-wmxix.jpg

Well, fuck.

No, I completely disagree and I call that as being a bullshit comparison. There's nothing wrong with wanting something to look believable. That's not being silly.

True, but I also don't think current-day Batista looks believable. He's not even hiding being out of breath from the simplest thing and I can't buy him as being at the top of the "sport".

Batigol

Banned
Haha, wow, they actually went with that ending. Way to send the crowd home happy.

I'm actually convinced Bryan isn't really over as much as he is and the crowd just like chanting Yes and his name.

jmdajr

Haha, wow, they actually went with that ending. Way to send the crowd home happy.

I'm actually convinced Bryan isn't really over as much as he is and the crowd just like chanting Yes and his name.

This Punk bullshit really mucked up things last night. People didn't even know wtf to chant.

I tell ya ticket sales to smarks is at an all time high. They love to go and chant.
Right, maybe it's not JUST them, but I have no doubt IWC is coming out in droves these days.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Curious of the Ghost of Punk is a ratings draw. They sure as shit sold his merch last night. Great place to liquidate.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That was some Meta/Ironic shit by Batista last night, shitting on super heroes but playing one.

No way it's a coincidence. He knows what's up.

I laughed. It's great. Dave's coming back to what everyone fell in love with him for, but now all of a sudden everyone is fixated on how he performs in a match, even though that's never been his strongest suit.

Week. Makes it barely any risk which is why I've added the TNA stipulation to my contract for this match.

Learned my lesson with the WrassleGAF Avatar Rumble. A month is very fucking painful.

Scottify

As much as I do like Bryan, sans homeless look, I had to go on the #NO train, I just don't see him getting his moment this year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like risking my simple but beautiful RoboCop avatar. But what the hell. Someone hook me up with an updated avatar.

PRIME DIRECTIVE #YES

NkcJgSJ.png

As much as I do like Bryan, sans homeless look, I had to go on the #NO train, I just don't see him getting his moment this year.

that is cracking me up

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not so much "does Bryan get a Wrestlemania moment of glory" as it is "Will Hunter sacrifice going over at Mania again"

Answer is no, he won't.

NO! NO! NO!

Hasney

It's not so much "does Bryan get a Wrestlemania moment of glory" as it is "Will Hunter sacrifice going over at Mania again"

Answer is no, he won't.

NO! NO! NO!

But... He knows what's best for business.

Just realised I also called the event after Mania Backlash... Whoops, EXTREME RULEZ I meanz.

jmdajr

I laughed. It's great. Dave's coming back to what everyone fell in love with him for, but now all of a sudden everyone is fixated on how he performs in a match, even though that's never been his strongest suit.

Yeah Dave was never exactly an in ring technician. He got over first for his looks, and then he greatly improved upon his character. The work rate was serviceable.

Like Regal told Stone Cold, work rate is overrated. What matters most is a reaction.
He's winning on that.

"Bathroom break? Fuck No! Are You crazy? I'm gonna Boo Batsita this whole match!"

Browny

Banned
If HHH vs Bryan ends up headlining, then he'll put Bryan over.

But it won't, so it's a big fat #NO.

Exactly which picture(s) will we have to sport? Bryan being pinned in 18 seconds, or HHH in The Chaperone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom