• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a list, but CM Punk is definitely up there. The amount of dick riding he gets is just insane. He's not bad, but you'd think he's the second coming of Christ with how some people talk about him.

hey guys anyone interested in doing some top 5 overrated workers? unpopular opinions are fun

5) Ric Flair
4) Sting
3) Misawa
2) The Undertaker
1) Edge

In no particular order:

Ric Flair- as Bret Hart said flair was a "routine man". Same spots, same pace, no psychology no matter who he was working with be it a giant or a cruiserweight.

HHH- Another one Bret was right on about, never had a GREAT match with anybody. Retrospect and WWE bias gives him a higher pedestal than he ever deserved.

Mick Foley- Good not great, his risk taking elevated him to a place he would have never got to as a worker.

WWE CM Punk- cannot comment on his ROH work as I haven't seen it. His WWE work was somewhat sloppy and loose, especially his last year in the company.

Christian- A solid mechanic, the true definition of a B+ player as he was always solid and reliable but never a show stealer as a singles wrestler.

jmdajr

Always liked Jericho but for whatever reason for most of the time I didn't see that fire in him to take him really seriously. Like "oh shit here comes Y2J I better watch out!"

But his work with HBK was very good!

I also loved his one last standing match with HHH. I saw a ton of heart in that one. I guess no one remembers it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i wouldnt really put taker as overrated much just because he still does better matches than most the roster.

strobogo

Banned
I sent an email to Walmart about my time there today and someone just called me about it. Didn't offer a refund or a gift card or anything just a "We've kind of had complaints before, hope we don't lose your business.....did we lose your business?" JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS you lost my business FOREVER. FOREVER. FOREVER. FOREVER.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sting
Piper
Matt Borne(people act like he was some amazing technical wrestler being held down. Doink was decidedly average with a cool gimmick)
Bruiser Brody
Shelton Benjamin

Present day:
Wade Barrett. He's Miz with an accent.

not court...

don't be surprised if you get a bunch of hints about a change to the wwe title match tonight.

I MUST STOP YOU *swings chair*

I sent an email to Walmart about my time there today and someone just called me about it. Didn't offer a refund or a gift card or anything just a "We've kind of had complaints before, hope we don't lose your business.....did we lose your business?" JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS you lost my business FOREVER. FOREVER. FOREVER. FOREVER.

Well deserved. Go to a place worth your time. Go local!

... PS WELP

jmdajr

Sting
Piper
Matt Borne(people act like he was some amazing technical wrestler being held down. Doink was decidedly average with a cool gimmick)
Bruiser Brody
Shelton Benjamin

Present day:
Wade Barrett. He's Miz with an accent.
Shelton! Damn. But yeah definitely fits into the great athletic ability but no real fire. HE never made me care.

Don't know if I can compile a top 5, but one guy that always comes to mind is Chono - obviously a huge star, but his match quality is all over the place, especially when you compare him to his peers.

3) Misawa

I can see why this argument would be made, as Misawa was pushed and pushed himself to the moon, but I don't think it's possible to call a guy who featured in so many amazing matches 'overrated'.

5. Harley Race

Can't agree with this, Harley was amazing on the mic and in the ring. Watch more Harley in Japan, damnit.

Vince McMahon said:
1. Sami Zayn

He's no El Generico, that's for sure.

I hate myself for saying it, but Andre.

Andre pretty much invented the majority of the spots people associate with giants and big men in wrestling, so I really can't consider him overrated, even if his work in his later years left a lot to be desired. 70's Andre is awesome, though.

Aiii

So not worth it
I am not gonna hate on people for practicing. Whatever it takes to put on a decent match.
No hate intended, but it's unfair to the other wrestlers saying Taker's matches are better because they're worse wrestlers than him.

He gets way more time, practice and hand picked opponents to work on the match than anyone else. That's a big part of why he manages to look so good at his age.

Kudos to him and I hope he does it for a long time to come.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
sky sports is still saying 1am for raw in uk ? have the channel listing just not updated ?

jmdajr

No hate intended, but it's unfair to the other wrestlers saying Taker's matches are better because they're worse wrestlers than him.

He gets way more time, practice and hand picked opponents to work on the match than anyone else. That's a big part of why he manages to look so good at his age.

Kudos to him and I hope he does it for a long time to come.
Soooooo....no one else can practice? Is it an agent thing?

Sheroking

HHH- Another one Bret was right on about, never had a GREAT match with anybody. Retrospect and WWE bias gives him a higher pedestal than he ever deserved.

For all his faults, can not agree with this sentiment.

His matches in late 1999, early 2000 were almost all exceptional. Prior to his quad tears, he was the best worker in the company and arguably the continent. His Foley matches, the Iron Man match with The Rock, Last Man Standing with Jericho and his No Mercy match with Benoit that year - you could argue he wrestled five or six MOTY candidates in 2000.

The hilarious thing about Bret Hart's criticisms of Hunter and Flair is that most can be applied to him as well. He wrestled the same match - A LOT. He was not an innovator - he wrestled lots of great 1vs1 technical matches with Bulldog, Waltman, Stone Cold, HBK, etc but where are the gimmick matches? Where are the tag matches? Where are the huge storylines, brilliant promos or great angles?

If we were talking whole package and not just workrate, I'd put Bret on my list of most overrated any day.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Really, Sami Zayn is the MOST over rated worker ever? Most people don't even know who he is

Sunny gonna Sunny. He's hoping he'll start trending due to his controversial Top 5.

Everyone who loves him is wrong. He's overrated. Whether people know of him or not doesn't matter - people praise him like he's Jeezus himself.

Can't agree with this, Harley was amazing on the mic and in the ring. Watch more Harley in Japan, damnit.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Harley Race, but for a long time it was obvious he didn't give much of a shit and took care of his position at the expense of others. and...uh, that's not really fair. Of me.

Laserfrog

You can hear the twang of the ropes at starrcade '83. The after thought lighting, the cameras being moved mid-shot, the whole thing is just beautiful.

jmdajr

For all his faults, can not agree with this sentiment.

His matches in late 1999, early 2000 were almost all exceptional. Prior to his quad tears, he was the best worker in the company and arguably the continent. His Foley matches, the Iron Man match with The Rock, Last Man Standing with Jericho and his No Mercy match with Benoit that year - you could argue he wrestled five or six MOTY candidates in 2000.

The hilarious thing about Bret Hart's criticisms of Hunter and Flair is that most can be applied to him as well. He wrestled the same match - A LOT. He was not an innovator - he wrestled lots of great 1vs1 technical matches with Bulldog, Waltman, Stone Cold, HBK, etc but where are the gimmick matches? Where are the tag matches? Where are the huge storylines, brilliant promos or great angles?

If we were talking whole package and not just workrate, I'd put Bret on my list of most overrated any day.

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif
hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif
hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif
hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif
hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif
hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif
hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Soooooo....no one else can practice? Is it an agent thing?
It's a, they have to travel and do house shows and 10 hours of TV programming a week, thing.

Listen, kudos to Taker, but that doesn't make any of the current stars worse wrestlers than him because his matches are really good due to extensive planning and practice.

Aiii

So not worth it
LOL @ Bret Hart being anywhere near a list of overrated workers.
He is a great wrestler and a mediocre mic worker. Great upper midcarder that had a push way beyond his means. Helped by the fact WWF was spread thin on main event talent at that time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Too bad they have all the numbers.

Aiii

So not worth it
House shows are practice, Aiii.
Okay, spot for spot practice of 30 minute matches against the best hand picked opponents. Gotcha.

All I'm saying is it's unfair to use Taker's matches as a standard to compare and put down every other wrestler on the roster now. I don't see why that is such a horrible statement.

Okay, spot for spot practice of 30 minute matches against the best hand picked opponents. Gotcha.

All I'm saying is it's unfair to use Taker's matches as a standard to compare and put down every other wrestler on the roster now. I don't see why that is such a horrible statement.

They practice big matches at house shows, and yes, pretty damn close to spot for spot. Ring rust is also a very real thing.

And again, lots of wrestlers practice their stuff, especially day of the show in the ring. Some do it way further in advance as well (Savage are good examples)

Striker

Tag teaming? Joke post? If you want to throw in gimmick matches, you can look at his cage match with Owen Hart at SummerSlam '94 if you want. Table matches weren't a big deal then, nor were hardcore matches at the time. Hell in a Cell didn't arrive in late '97. And, for a good reason, ladder matches weren't overdone or used for people not necessarily required for it (hello, Kevin Nash vs. Triple H in 2011).

People seem to knock Bret for his promo ability when in fact it really was just hidden by the fact WWE, in general, lacks interesting or entertaining faces for the most part. For a generic cookie cutter, he did his job and did it really well. A much bigger star than what HBK ever was in the 90's. Look at Shawn's work promo-wise as a babyface. What did he do? His best work was as a classic dickhead heel. Only guys off hand who did great work as a babyface as well as heel was The Rock, Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, and Kurt Angle. May add Eddie Guerrero but that wasn't a lengthy time for him, unfortunately. Small list.

strobogo

Banned
Tag teaming? Joke post? If you want to throw in gimmick matches, you can look at his cage match with Owen Hart at SummerSlam '94 if you want. Table matches weren't a big deal then, nor were hardcore matches at the time. Hell in a Cell didn't arrive in late '97. And, for a good reason, ladder matches weren't overdone or used for people not necessarily required for it (hello, Kevin Nash vs. Triple H in 2011).

People seem to knock Bret for his promo ability when in fact it really was just hidden by the fact WWE, in general, lacks interesting or entertaining faces for the most part. For a generic cookie cutter, he did his job and did it really well. A much bigger star than what HBK ever was in the 90's. Look at Shawn's work promo-wise as a babyface. What did he do? His best work was as a classic dickhead heel. Only guys off hand who did great work as a babyface as well as heel was The Rock, Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, and Kurt Angle. May add Eddie Guerrero but that wasn't a lengthy time for him, unfortunately. Small list.

Actually, Bret had one of the first ladder matches with Dynamite Kid in Stampede in the late 70s. He also had the first one in the WWF with HBK, a year before WMX. Great cage matches with Owen and Diesel, able to work good matches with talents of ranging from someone like Owen/HBK all the way up to 7 footers like Nash and Taker.

Bret's promo work in WCW is really underrated.

These overrated lists are weird because the majority of the guys listed aren't even really considered great wrestlers. Sgt. Slaughter is overrated? By who?

Alright then, what about most underrated wrestlers? Terry Taylor comes to mind. Also, Akira Taue is super overlooked, considering the role he had in 90's All Japan. In more recent years, Tomoaki Honma. Coming from an indie/deathmatch background and having alleged yakuza connections have kept him from achieving any major success, even though the fans connect with him well.

Oh, and Mr. Wrestling II. Just because I never see people talking about Mr. Wrestling II and he was freaking awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom