• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoke Hogan should be doing the Ultimate Warrior's HOF unduction speech. Seriously. Hoke "passed the torch" to him at WM6 for crying out loud. If not Hoke then Sgt Slaughter should do it as he took the title at RR 91.

Ithil

There were a lot of undercard matches possibly brewing, but I think a bunch will get absorbed into this battle royal. I wonder if Cesaro will win that.
We've heard they want to start a big push for him after WM, so having a nice win lower on the card would be a good way to start it for Cesaro.

There are people who still think Punk leaving wasn't an angle? Even after tonight? Wow.

I didn't watch tonight but Phil Brooks has a press photo now he's gonna be gone from wrestling for a while.

tumblr_n28dg9zHJy1qfio2qo1_400.jpg

He's gonna get that Wrestlemania main event even if he has to make shitty movies to do it.

strobogo

Banned
Walked out. BUT THE JURY IS STILL OUT IF ITS AN ANGLE!

He...looked better back then :x

I think his hair looked really stupid because it was in the phase where all hair looks stupid when you're growing it out and can't do anything with it. But the point is, the guy has been the most over guy since last Summer and they still use a year old promo picture for him. It's embarrassing. When a guy changes his look, you update the pictures. It isn't that hard. They updated Rusev's picture on the website. They've updated the Funkadactyls a few times. They've updated the Usos since they started wearing face paint. Cena's changes every time he changes merch. They updated Tyson god damn Kidd and he isn't even on TV.

Other pictures that haven't been updated in a long time: JTG (lol), Big E (still in his NXT gear, which he never wore on Raw), Alex Riley is still in ring gear, Wyatts are still their NXT pictures, Tensai is still in Sweet T gear, Cesaro still has a big A on his trunks, Axel is in his pretty Mr. Perfect style trunks, Ziggler's picture is from like 2010 when he was wearing tiny trunks instead of shorts.

Vylash

I didn't watch tonight but Phil Brooks has a press photo now he's gonna be gone from wrestling for a while.

tumblr_n28dg9zHJy1qfio2qo1_400.jpg

He's gonna get that Wrestlemania main event even if he has to make shitty movies to do it.

Punk looks happy and presentable, that's how you know he's gone

strobogo

Banned
Am I the only who thinks Del Rio vs Ziggler could be a match that has the potential to be AMAZING? Those two guys are good enough workers to, hate to say it, steal the show?

Could it be possible to steal the show if given 10 minutes?

Their title match was really good and very brutal for a WWE match. I think they could do something, but I really doubt they'd get time at WM for anything good. The pacing of WM has been so weird for years now.

remnant

Banned
Am I the only who thinks Del Rio vs Ziggler could be a match that has the potential to be AMAZING? Those two guys are good enough workers to, hate to say it, steal the show?

Could it be possible to steal the show if given 10 minutes?

they have fought each other a 100 times. It's always slightly above average, no matter how much time they are given.

Decent RAW and finally the 'E have decided to do the most simple easy booking that everyone wanted. It's funny to remember that just a few months ago Bryan was getting "depushed"

PANCRASE - MINORU SUZUKI vs JUSHIN LIGER - 2002

suzuki_liger1fnkii.gif

part 3 of the Suzuki week. special fight for 2 reasons: it's the last time Suzuki would fight in MMA and it's the one and only MMA fight Jushin Liger ever had. gotta say, absolutely LOVE Liger's MMA mask, wish he used it more often.

suzuki_liger2o0ksv.gif

Liger trying to find an opening. throws a jab and then whiffs a koppo kick.

suzuki_liger3nujls.gif

now Suzuki is on top and won't let go. he pummels Liger with ground n' pound as he laughs at the crowd.

suzuki_liger4kokuf.gif

Liger does the best he can to escape but ends up with Suzuki on his back. easy rear naked choke for Suzuki, Liger taps. winner via submission, Minoru Suzuki.

suzuki_liger6pljzs.gif

they both talk on the mic. no idea what they said, but they end up shaking hands. Liger had no business doing MMA, goddamn.

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/straight-shooters-with-lambda-piscium

Anth0ny

Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat NWA Championship

Why is this half way through the show? Ricky comes out with his family and Richie riding a pony. Pat O'Connor, Terry Funk, and Lou Thesz are the judges. I'm not sure how the judges work. It hasn't really been explained, but I assume it would be they would pick the winner in the event of a draw. O'Connor looks like George Steinbrenner. The pace starts hot and heavy with some slaps being traded at the end of it. Chops are traded and this shit is getting heated. A back drop and Flair rolls to the floor. Steamer works the shit out of Flair's arm. Deep arm drag. Flair just can't get loose until he gets a cheap break in the corner. Throwing elbows. Part of me really can't believe that Vince didn't run with Steamboat. Not only was he incredible and could work with everyone, but he was a beautiful man with an outstanding build, especially in 1985-1987. Dude had one of the best bodies in wrestling history and still was in amazing shape up until the day he retired. Ric is again knocked to the floor. Tommy Young won't allow Steamer to do a dive. Steamboat goes back to the arm. Setting up for the double chickenwing, no doubt. Big hip toss from Flair changes the momentum. He misses an elbow and gets taken back down with an arm drag. More cheap shots from Flair. For the first 15 minutes, Steamboat has won the judges' votes. Steamboats chops look like they really fucking hurt. So much velocity on them. Flair Flip into a tree of Keanu. Steamboat is sent out to the floor. He's then knocked into the floor and Flair elbows him right in the Adam's apple. Working off the Savage/Steamboat angle. This just fires him up and he chases Flair all around ringside and back into the ring. Another Flair Flip, this time ended with a giant chop. Back to the arm work. Steamboat misses a cross body and goes over the top rope. He's brought back in the hard way. Knee drop. This match is very start-stop, but in the best way possible. They rev the crowd up, then slow it back down, then get them crazy, slow them back down. It's really well done in a way that isn't wearing the fans out, but making them more excited each time it revs up. Great butterfly suplex from Flair. Hot shot. Back to the floor. Flair hits a suplex on on the concrete. Steamboat reverses the suplex back in and nearly wins with a roll up. They both go crashing over the top. Flair climbs up top and obviously gets thrown off. Superplex from Steamboat. Double chickenwing! Flair was too close to the ropes. Flying chop. Steamboat goes up again and gets knocked off, bouncing off the ropes, the apron, and the floor. He appears to have injured his knee. Flair goes right after it. Figure four. Rope break. Steamboat fights back and hits an enziguri. Flair rolls through a body slam....new champion! Ric Flair is 6 times the man! This was totally dope. Better than their first match, which was pretty damn good. Flair and Steamboat embrace after the match, which appears to be a face turn for Ric. JR gets into the ring to talk with Ric. Ric immediately puts Ricky Steamboat over as being the best champion he's ever faced. Terry Funk jumps in the ring to be the first to congratulate Ric. He also says that if the match had gone an hour, he would have voted for Flair. He's also going to be the first one to challenge Flair. Flair doesn't think Terry deserves it since he hasn't been an active competitor. He's not a top 10 contender. Terry does not appreciate this at all. Terry says he was just kidding. They shake hands and Terry decks him. SWERVE! Piledriver on a Japanese table! Since the table didn't break, he threw it on Ric and then smashed him with a chair. By god, would somebody stop this? This is ridiculous! Somebody get some help out here!

iDPrmmXGx3rCo.gif

izCCxkxZqHoYx.gif

ihRpnFFP7sLBp.gif

Watched this for the first time off my Ric Flair DVD last week. Very good match, but is it really considered the greatest ever? I'm probably missing something (grew up with the attitude era, maybe I'm just used to a different style of wrasslin), but I wouldn't consider this a GOAT match upon first viewing. why exactly is this match in particular so universally acclaimed?

I think I need to watch it again.

remnant

Banned
D.Bry promo on Backstage pass was...weird? Has Daniel Bryan always had this occupy movement rhetoric to his promo's on the app or is this new?

strobogo

Banned
Watched this for the first time off my Ric Flair DVD last week. Very good match, but is it really considered the greatest ever? I'm probably missing something (grew up with the attitude era, maybe I'm just used to a different style of wrasslin), but I wouldn't consider this a GOAT match upon first viewing. why exactly is this match in particular so universally acclaimed?

I think I need to watch it again.

It's considered great, but the 2/3 falls match from Clash of the Champions 6 is usually the one people talk about when Flair vs Steamboat is mentioned. It went 55 minutes and the finish set up the rubber match at WrestleWar.

It's like one of the monkeys in Creative™ woke up and realized "HOLY CRAP, WE NEVER PROPERLY DID THE CM PUNK VOICE OF THE VOICELESS REVOLUTION GIMMICK" and decided to give it to Daniel Bryan.

I'm not mad at this. The show was boring as hell before this segment, and I wasn't sure if the WWE realized WM is around the corner.

Let's watch the racist comments.

Heel

HHH accepted the match at WM and if D. Brine beats him, he'll be added to the WWE Title match.

This is fantastic booking in that the WWE will keep Bryan from being the face of WrestleMania promotion by not giving him true top billing, and keeping him from being interviewed by Al Roker.

It also allows them to get smarks hopes up by having Tripz the Cerebral Assassin put him over, thus inserting him in the main event to keep granola fans from ruining the main event with whiny chanting and general nerd angst.

Looking forward to the reaction when Batista rolls him up in a schoolboy for the 1-2-3.

Alucard

Banned
The imminent Bryan backlash will be a result of the WWE focusing on stupid parts of his character such as this occupy and yes movement crap. We want the Daniel Bryan who cut that amazing promo on John Cena before Summerslam saying Cena's not a wrestler but an entertainer...and then he wouldn't slap Cena back as per Japanese wrestling custom. I want THAT Bryan...the one who actually uses the word "wrestling" in his vocabulary.

We will likely never see The American Dragon in the WWE, but we can get close.

S'all I needed to know. Thanks breh.

http://i.minus.com/iPA8XUYjM3lXM.gif

I'm Snake Pliskin in that gif, just so we're clear.

Let's watch the racist comments.

All my life I wanted to be featured in a bean breath post-Raw post roundup. Anything is possible.

there are really monkeys in the writing room, though. Totes obvs

Looking forward to the reaction when Batista rolls him up in a schoolboy for the 1-2-3.

I'm still fully expecting Batista to win. It's part of the contract, brotherdudejack

Trips is not going to put Bryan over. He'll win thanks to interference from Korporate Kane, will take Bryan's spot in the triple threat match and will then win the titles.

Mark my words.

G-Fex

Trips is not going to put Bryan over. He'll win thanks to interference from Korporate Kane, will take Bryan's spot in the triple threat match and will then win the titles.

Mark my words.

This.

Batista is taking home both titles

Then I want him to cut a mean promo on daniel bryan.

Saying he likes to kiss tofu and hug fat guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom