• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The God-King Reigns, Baby

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
OH MY SHIT

11081257_734518433312890_5356443895208804531_n.jpg

All my hype.

Ricochet vs Nakamura? Fuck, I'd probably buy into that event. I expect it would be insanely good!

It was smart that his first impression to a worldwide audience was with Cesaro who knows how to make a small guy look amazing, that spot on his shoulders was great.

I also like that we didn't see the best of either Kalisto and Neville in terms of spots other than the Red Arrow. Like my favourite Kalisto spot is when he stops himself on his hands and Neville has a shit load in reserve.
It was fantastic booking all night.
The Axel squash match was perfect as he could go out and do his schtick and get totaled by the absolutely ripped looking Neville (with the stupid cape which will hopefully get ignored quickly) without looking like more of an idiot than he already is. Axel hit all his marks well too, really well laid out and Neville was moving at a million miles an hour.
Not as impressive as Kalisto since it was over so quick but it made a great first impression and laid out exactly what you can expect from him.

Super fun matches early on. Nailed everything for the first 2 hours or so.

Hiring Jimmy Jacobs to write for the main shows has also changed my tune a bit. I'm not familiar with his work at all, but just hiring someone with an actual wrestling background for that position makes me happy as the TV backgrounds haven't really worked out.

Whoa I thought he was coming in as a wrestler? Very interesting move to put him into creative.

Hasney

Sometime spectacle is better than goos wrestling, I mean that sting match might be in my top 5 matches of all time

I agree, but I think the matches I wasn't looking forward to became great due to the surprise of it all. DX, nWo, Brock domination and Seth. They made me glad I relented and ordered the show unlike everything that happened in WMs 27-29, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch the matches like I did with the 2 fantastic Bryan matches last year.

OH MY SHIT

All my hype.

Wat. WAT.

I think I just marked out for a poster. I may have to go to this if I can talk someone into going. Even if I can't I might.

Hasney

GODDAMN! Hoping Ricochet's Lucha Underground commitments don't get in the way of this, wouldn't be the first time he's had to cancel on RevPro. Going to be an amazing match to watch from ringside,though!

Now, all we need is Ishii vs Mastiff.

Damn, don't say that. Take it the card subject to change clause would stop me getting a refund and I would literally be going for this match.

Hasney

Yeah, I assume he's doing alright for himself with these bookings and LU. Depends if they think he's got a good enough look for a Devitt Deal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you're Ricochet, you're probably the most indemand indie wrestler in the world right now. You have these options

• Keep working Lucha Underground as Prince Puma
• Every indie in the world will book you
• Go to AAA as Prince Puma
• Go to NJPW under contract as Ricochet and be handed the Jr title
• Keep working Dragon Gate
• Work for DDT

Like I don't know what that dude can't do.

Damn, don't say that. Take it the card subject to change clause would stop me getting a refund and I would literally be going for this match.

Yeah, I believe it would - RevPro have been pretty good at making up for cancellations in the past though and it'd only happen this time if the LU taping schedule got moved around again. Plus, with Nakamura, Ishii & Styles on the card it should be a hell of a show regardless.

Kaladin

If you're Ricochet, you're probably the most indemand indie wrestler in the world right now. You have these options

• Work for DDT

If Ricochet doesn't sign a contract with someone like New Japan or AAA, I'd give him another year or so in the indies before WWE gives him another look.

It's a damn shame he's working for Gabe and not ROH though, would love to see Ricochet vs some of the ROH guys.

hamchan

Watching RAW now, pretty excellent first hour. Kalisto with a great debut. Looked awesome there. Real smart to put him against Cesaro too who can support his fancy moves.

Xavier Woods starting the thumping and getting "New Day Sucks" chants, such a tragic thing to see. He should probably stop the thumping.

Omg Brock Lesnar. Omg.

Well that was a 10/10 first hour of great television.

alstein

Watching RAW now, pretty excellent first hour. Kalisto with a great debut. Looked awesome there. Real smart to put him against Cesaro too who can support his fancy moves.

Xavier Woods starting the thumping and getting "New Day Sucks" chants, such a tragic thing to see. He should probably stop the thumping.

Omg Brock Lesnar. Omg.

Well that was a 10/10 first hour of great television.

Maybe Xavier is trying to get ND turned heel. He is a pretty smart guy and prob knows they're not gonna do crap as faces.

Then again I'll be surprised if he's still employed in a year- Kofi and Big E are safer. 90% of the time Xavier isn't the one wrestling- makes me think WWE thinks he sucks in-ring.

They fucked up not signing him. Now if they want to sign him, they're gonna have to offer him a lot more.

The early LU guys like Ricochet and Johnny Mundo / Morrison signed long term contracts TV exclusive contracts with them so you won't see him with WWE for two or three more years.

Ithil

Bryan Alvarez was live in the crowd, and said he rewatched the main event on TV, and on TV the crowd mics were down to an insane degree. The crowd in the building was apparently deafening, with all the NXT guys' chants.

It was evident on TV, but the crowd liked Orton and Ryback, loved Rollins, and this part was most evident to anyone, they despised Kane, Show and Reigns.

They were really asking for the hijacking, putting that mid-October Smackdown main event on.

OH MY SHIT

All my hype.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG. MOTY shit right here.

• Work for DDT

Him winning the Jr. title was the original plan after he won the BOSJ last year but he doesn't want to compete in Japan full-time. That said I'd love for him to come back for this year's BOSJ...him vs. Omega would be a fucking sick match.

Ithil

I really dislike this thought process.

Which is? You tell the crowd in a promo they're the best crowd of the year. You know they hate Roman Reigns, and the same old Kane/Big Show, you know the Post-Mania RAW usually has some kind of a big angle or match to finish, and you give them a generic Smackdown tag match with zero angles to it? What were they expecting to happen?

They even made it out to be a mystery of who would be the third partner for the faces, and then it turns out to just be Reigns. Of course that crowd are going to reject it.

Kaladin

Which is? You tell the crowd in a promo they're the best crowd of the year. You know they hate Roman Reigns, and the same old Kane/Big Show, you know the Post-Mania RAW usually has some kind of a big angle or match to finish, and you give them a generic Smackdown tag match with zero angles to it? What were they expecting to happen?

They even made it out to be a mystery of who would be the third partner for the faces, and then it turns out to just be Reigns. Of course that crowd are going to reject it.

They also gave them Sting with a tease of something more and......Bo Dallas?

bjork

There's a difference between rejecting something and acting like a bunch of idiots. I know when I'm unhappy with a product, the first thing I do is buy a ticket so I can go see it live and try to actively ruin the experience for people who might enjoy what's going on, either live or at home, with a bunch of dumb ass smarky hockey chant garbage and saying 'what' at everything like that wasn't tired in about 2002. It's stupid and accomplishes nothing. The lone shining example of it potentially working is Bryan at WM30, and look where he was the next night: getting ready to job for Kane.

The company doesn't care if they like the show, because they know they're always going to come back to the show. And they know the most they are willing to do is chant bullshit or send snide tweets or any other infinitely ignorable wastes of energy as they continue to buy and buy and buy.

It's not like the old road stories of old ladies trying to stab Terry Funk and shit. You think that old lady was content to stand there during a Funk match and chant some unrelated like RICKY MORTON clap clap clapclapclap shit because that's sure gonna show him and the promoter? Hell no, she believed and she wanted him hurt for real because she believed.

Wrestling fans are the worst thing about wrestling today. But as long as I have people who will watch it and post results so I don't have to, at least I don't have to hear it 99% of the time. But even reading about it is such a drag.

Ithil

But they didn't "buy a ticket to ruin the show". The crowd loved most of the show. They only buried the main event, which really sucked and had no appeal to that crowd.

bjork

But they didn't "buy a ticket to ruin the show". The crowd loved most of the show. They only buried the main event, which really sucked and had no appeal to that crowd.

Which accomplishes nothing, and is why the idea of "they deserved to be hijacked" is silly.

Bandini

Which accomplishes nothing, and is why the idea of "they deserved to be hijacked" is silly.

They paid money to be entertained, nothing wrong with creating your own entertainment when the show isn't providing. The losers that were chanting things I won't quote during the women's match can stick it, however.

bjork

They paid money to be entertained, nothing wrong with creating your own entertainment when the show isn't providing. The losers that were chanting things I won't quote during the women's match can stick it, however.

I agree with the last sentence, which means I can't agree with the first one. They paid money to go to a live version of something they've probably watched on TV before and been disappointed in. Whether they get entertainment from that is debatable, heh.

Ithil

It accomplished the goal of not being bored during a boring main event. That was the whole reason for stuff like the Wave. The main event presented to them was not entertaining, so they made their own entertainment.

I agree with the last sentence, which means I can't agree with the first one. They paid money to go to a live version of something they've probably watched on TV before and been disappointed in. Whether they get entertainment from that is debatable, heh.

They didn't pay to see a main event straight out of a December Smackdown in Corpus Christi, Texas. They paid to see the Post-Mania RAW, traditionally the biggest RAW of the year, always closing with a hot new angle (Brock's return, Shield vs Evolution, etc). Instead they got a generic, and stale tag match of no conseqence, and the same unwanted people like Reigns and Kane.

bjork

It accomplished the goal of not being bored during a boring main event. That was the whole reason for stuff like the Wave. The main event presented to them was not entertaining, so they made their own entertainment.

This is getting further and further away from being about hijacking. I'll just say ok.

kiguel182

How is it debatable? They were not entertained and had to create their own enjoynment.

Those guys there couldn't just fast forward that match either. WWE was dumb for puting that fucking main-event on and they deserved the hijack. They aren't the poor victims in all of this. They are a multi-dollar company that is selling a product and if the product is bad people have the right to do whatever they want to show their displeasure at it.

Ithil

This is getting further and further away from being about hijacking. I'll just say ok.

I don't see that at all. They hijacked the main event, because they didn't want to see it. WWE is at fault for presenting a terrible choice for main event.

Anyone in this thread could have told you that match would not have gone down well with a Post-Mania crowd. The WWE know what the crowd is like, they've had three of them now. They even had Cena address them in his promo. So their choice of main event (particularly that it had zero angles to close the show) was baffling, and ill-advised.

bjork

How is it debatable? They were not entertained and had to create their own enjoynment.

Those guys there couldn't just fast forward that match either. WWE was dumb for puting that fucking main-event on and they deserved the hijack. They aren't the poor victims in all of this. They are a multi-dollar company that is selling a product and if the product is bad people have the right to do whatever they want to show their displeasure at it.

Like... stop supporting it, maybe?

kiguel182

Like... stop supporting it, maybe?

Do you think they bought those tickets thinking they were going to see that main-event?

The Raws after Mania for the past 3 years have been full of great moments. Those tickets are bought in advance and they were hoping, like everyone always is, for a great show.

You are acting like people knew it was going to be crap and they paid anyway. They didn't. They hoped and wanted a great show.

But I mean, you don't even watch the product and come here to argue about it so you really aren't much better if you want to go that way.

bjork

Do you think they bought those tickets thinking they were going to see that main-event?

The Raws after Mania for the past 3 years have been full of great moments. Those tickets are bought in advance and they were hoping, like everyone always is, for a great show.

You are acting like people knew it was going to be crap and they paid anyway. They didn't. They hoped and wanted a great show.

But I mean, you don't even watch the product and come here to argue about it so you really aren't much better if you want to go that way.

From the sound of the report, they got a decent show aside from the main event. Anyone who bought a ticket expecting 3 hours+ of exactly everything they would love, hasn't been following things very long.

As far as I go, I don't watch the show because I don't care for the bloated approach. If there's an interesting match or segment, I'll look it up on their site. If the show underwent a format change, I'd likely watch regularly. But I know that the company isn't worrying about catering to my specific wants, see.

I was there. It was "suck." And all of those misogynistic chants by the man children really brought the energy of the rest of the crowd down. The stinker of a main event didn't help.

Both.

Except I'm pretty sure they were chanting "You fuck Cena", not "You suck Cena". People don't usually use "suck" that way.

What was the point of that chant? "You suck Cena!"
We know, they're in a relationship. It's not exactly hidden.

Ithil

From the sound of the report, they got a decent show aside from the main event. Anyone who bought a ticket expecting 3 hours+ of exactly everything they would love, hasn't been following things very long.

As far as I go, I don't watch the show because I don't care for the bloated approach. If there's an interesting match or segment, I'll look it up on their site. If the show underwent a format change, I'd likely watch regularly. But I know that the company isn't worrying about catering to my specific wants, see.

It's one thing to see a good show and there's a lame Adam Rose vs Darren Young match or something in the second hour. It's another for the supposed biggest RAW of the year to have this kind of tone deaf lameduck main event.

Previous Post-Mania RAWs have had things like Brock Lesnar returning to the WWE after 8 years, for instance. The fans thought they would get a big match or angle to end the show.

bjork

What was the point of that chant? "You suck Cena!"
We know, they're in a relationship. It's not exactly hidden.

They were bored and needed to create their own entertainment. Apparently that's a free pass to be a fuckhead at wrasslin shows.

It's one thing to see a good show and there's a lame Adam Rose vs Darren Young match or something in the second hour. It's another for the supposed biggest RAW of the year to have this kind of tone deaf lameduck main event.

Previous Post-Mania RAWs have had things like Brock Lesnar returning to the WWE after 8 years, for instance. The fans thought they would get a big match or angle to end the show.

All debate aside, let's say you're booking the show. What could you have done to pop the crowd? Who can you debut that makes a big splash that would make the crowd happy? Sting's likely done, UT works one day a year, Rock did his thing at WM, and even the most mega-over NXT guy won't draw the kind of cheers that one of those guys would get. Maybe should've had the Brock rampage thing end the show? People went apeshit for that, and rightly so. I don't even like him and that shit was entertaining.

Top Bottom