• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Road To Raw After Wrestlemania XXX has begun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
I'll review a Wrestlemania if I don't have to watch it, I'll just make it up as I go along and draw the gifs.

Excellent idea. I would like to doubly subscribe to the Theszcast if possible.

legitshook.com

WWF Monday Night Raw 1/31/93

Let's see how big of a piece of shit Bartlett will be tonight.

Tatanka vs Damian Demento

Damn, going from the main event to curtain jerking in under a month. These were two of the only guys on the roster to not start out in a territory. Truly, the start of the New Generation. And what a start. Tatanka's random ass mid 2000s Smackdown run was so strange. Demento keeps saying, "The Indian will suffer.". It's starting to make me uncomfortable. Macho says the competition in the WWF is the toughest he's ever seen it. While that obviously isn't true, at least he tried to put talent over instead of JBL and King burying shit every week. Tatanka wins with the End of the Trail.

We're shown clips of the MSG Headlock on Hunger show. Bret delivered a novelty sized check for $100,000 to the Red Cross.

ibtgS6npYZsYxy.gif

Vince conducts an in ring interview with the returning (and "Truly, one of the greats") Brutus the Barber Beefcake! He came back to make a very important announcement: He intends to return to in ring action. The Beefer was in a para sailing accident and had his face destroyed 2 years ago. "You could say that is a risky...uh....involvement." After his accident, his mother died of cancer. And shortly after, his father died from a heart attack. Wait, this is all before the accident I guess. And then his wife served him with divorce papers and took everything he had. And John Cena thought he had a bad year. Then he had the accident and blew his face up. He's going on and on and the shots they show of the crowd are hilarious. There are people staring blankly, kids yawning, a fat dude picking his nose. Hulk Hogan was there when he woke up from his surgery. I think he's basically saying that Hulk Hogan is his Jeeeeeeeezus. This is such a weird promo. He's just babbling on and on about I think being suicidal until Hulk Hogan gave him a helping hand and now he wants to fight anyone because nothing in the ring can compare to the pain he's felt in his personal life. Sounded more like the origin of a super villain to me.

iMIpqyPdBnfr6.gif

iAZKDe5IS4eVy.gif

iSnTKY8PPv19a.gif

Mike Sharpe/Von Crush vs High Energy

Fucking Vito. Always looked like a sack of shit. Owen and Mike start. Vito gets double back dropped. Dude can't even get a singlet that stays on his torso. High Energy win with a missile dropkick Hart Attack in a quick squash.

We're shown clips of the Doink/Crush attack which I'm only mentioning because Macho said Doink was IN THE DANGER ZONE!

Doink vs Typhoon

This is the feature bout of the show. I'm sure the guy in the front row in an ICOPRO shirt isn't a plant or anything. Doink immediately gets a take down. Two. Fans are chanting for him as well because NYC can never have a crowd that doesn't cheer the heels. Doink is straight up out wrasslin Typhoon. Vince and Macho have been ignoring Bartlett all night, and won't give him anything during all his shitty Clown Anonymous jokes. It's really kind of weird seeing Doink out wrestling such a big guy. Slapping fires Typhoon up and he hits a powerslam. However, he misses a splash in the corner and is hit with a second rope clothesline. Doink grabs not only the tights, but also Typhoon's balls for the win.

Vince and Todd hype WWF Mania this weekend.

Fink talks about the passing of Andre the Giant. 10 bell salute.

Yokozuna vs Bobby Devito

I don't know when Bobby became Tony, but who cares. They try to get a phone call with Hacksaw, but it doesn't work out. Devito charges right at Yoko and gets superkicked. Now the phone call is working. Rock Bottom! Hacksaw talks about taking on "Yakazuma". When Vince corrects him, he says whatever, it's some Japanese name. The phone call fades in and out. Banzai drop for the win.

iP6k1xgA8nPo9.gif

Vince conducts a ringside interview with Money Inc. Fucking LOL at Vince trying to cue the crowd to boo and having them be totally silent. Ted recites Humpty Dumpty. This was in reference to Beefcake. The Beefer. They take offense at Beefcake offering an open challenge after having not been in the ring for 3 years. They flip a coin for the match. Ted wins. Jimmy Hart comes out and says this is a waste of time. If either get hurt in the ring, their title run is over.

The Narcissist Lex Luger vs Jason Knight

Lex's in ring debut for the WWF. As Lex is posing in his mirror, a very hefty Raw Girl walks in his view, which angers him greatly. Before the match, we're shown an old vignette of Perfect being the perfect quarterback. ECW all up in this bitch tonight. Jason looks like a sack of shit, just like Vito. No striations at all. Just jiggly fat. Vince hypes up Quantum Leap after Raw. Lex misses the forearm. A fan actually yelled out "YOU MISSED HIM", so Lex picks Jason back up to hit a standing forearm. He wins by pinning with his pinky. They'll be pre-empted next week due to the dog show, but they'll come back in 2 weeks with a 16 man battle royal and the return of Brutus Beefcake.

Ron had far fewer lines this week and was usually ignored when he did say stuff. Vast improvement on that front. Beefcake promo was really weird.

Ithil

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/30-best-wrestlemania-matches/page-1

WWE.com puts together its top 30 WM matches.

30. Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper – WrestleMania VIII
29. Money in the Bank Ladder Match – WrestleMania 23
28. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin vs. The Rock – WrestleMania XV
27. The Undertaker vs. Edge – WrestleMania XXIV
26. Money in the Bank Ladder Match – WrestleMania 21
25. Eddie Guerrero vs. Kurt Angle – WrestleMania XX
24. Mick Foley vs. Edge – WrestleMania 22
23. The Undertaker vs. Triple H – WrestleMania XXVIII
22. Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar – WrestleMania XIX
21. The Undertaker vs. CM Punk – WrestleMania 29
20. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels – WrestleMania 23
19. Undertaker vs. Triple H – WrestleMania XXVII
18. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho - WrestleMania XIX
17. Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair — WrestleMania 24
16. Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage — WrestleMania VII
15. Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage — WrestleMania V
14. Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair — WrestleMania VIII
13. The Rock vs. Hollywood Hogan — WrestleMania X8
12. Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan — WrestleMania VI
11. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. Edge & Christian — WrestleMania X-Seven
10. Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle — WrestleMania 21
9. Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon — WrestleMania X
8. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart — WrestleMania X
7. Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XII
6. Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant — WrestleMania III
5. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels — WrestleMania XXVI
4. Bret Hart vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin — WrestleMania 13
3. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin vs. The Rock — WrestleMania X-Seven
2. Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage — WrestleMania 3
1. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels — The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania

There's one notable omission for obvious reasons, but more amusingly there's
only one Cena match on there, and it's with Shawn Michaels

Aiii

So not worth it
I love how WWE even now still has no WrestleMania 25 and two WrestleMania 26's.

If you ever need a reason to prove WWE is dumb as fuck, there you go.

Rapstah

Vince conducts an in ring interview with the returning (and "Truly, one of the greats") Brutus the Barber Beefcake! He came back to make a very important announcement: He intends to return to in ring action. The Beefer was in a para sailing accident and had his face destroyed 2 years ago. "You could say that is a risky...uh....involvement." After his accident, his mother died of cancer. And shortly after, his father died from a heart attack. Wait, this is all before the accident I guess. And then his wife served him with divorce papers and took everything he had. And John Cena thought he had a bad year. Then he had the accident and blew his face up. He's going on and on and the shots they show of the crowd are hilarious. There are people staring blankly, kids yawning, a fat dude picking his nose. Hulk Hogan was there when he woke up from his surgery. I think he's basically saying that Hulk Hogan is his Jeeeeeeeezus. This is such a weird promo. He's just babbling on and on about I think being suicidal until Hulk Hogan gave him a helping hand and now he wants to fight anyone because nothing in the ring can compare to the pain he's felt in his personal life. Sounded more like the origin of a super villain to me.
So is Brutus Beefcake Hogan's brother from No Holds Barred?

Ithil

They are always bad at timing out WM these days, even though they have four hours a PPV, and this year two hours of pre-show and one hour of post-show. This is the card, and none of them are pre-show matches (apparently any pre-show matches might use NXT talent since pretty much the entire main roster is on the main card).

- The Usos vs. The Real Americans vs. Rybaxel vs. Los Matadores for the WWE Tag Team titles

- The Shield vs. Kane and The New Age Outlaws

- AJ Lee vs. Naomi vs. Cameron vs. Brie Bella vs. Nikki Bella vs. Natalya vs. Eva Marie vs. Emma vs. Aksana vs. Alicia Fox vs. Summer Rae vs. Rosa Mendes vs. Layla vs. Tamina Snuka for the Divas title

- André the Giant Memorial Battle Royal with 30 men

- John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt

- The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar

- Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H

- Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. (winner of Bryan vs Triple H) for the WWE World Heavyweight title

What are you thinking for match times? I can see a lot of them getting shortchanged, even more than last year (which blew through its entire undercard at rocket speed, until the three main events which took up most of the show). This year has FOUR main events, including two guys known for really long matches (HHH and Taker).

They've got roughly 240 minutes, accounting for match times, entrances, video packages, backstage bits, and matches running overlong.

strobogo

Banned
Battle Royal goes 15 minutes. Divas is under 10 including entrances. Tag title match is probably around 9. Shield vs Corporation is around 12. Bork/Taker really shouldn't go past 20. HHH vs Bryan will probably be 20-25. Cena/Wyatt will be closer to 30. Main event will probably go 20-25.

Aiii

So not worth it
They are always bad at timing out WM these days, even though they have four hours a PPV, and this year two hours of pre-show and one hour of post-show. This is the card, and none of them are pre-show matches (apparently any pre-show matches might use NXT talent since pretty much the entire main roster is on the main card).

What are you thinking for match times? I can see a lot of them getting shortchanged, even more than last year (which blew through its entire undercard at rocket speed, until the three main events which took up most of the show). This year has FOUR main events, including two guys known for really long matches (HHH and Taker).

They've got roughly 240 minutes, accounting for match times, entrances, video packages, backstage bits, and matches running overlong.

Battle Royal goes 20, Tag Title Match 20, Cena vs. Bray 15, Shield vs. Authority B-Team 20, AJ vs. The World 15, Undertaker vs. Lesnar 15, Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H 25, Main event 30 = 160 minutes.

80 minutes for filler, backstage segments, HoF segment, entrances and music bs. If that's not enough, put the Tag match or The Shield on the pre-show to make it 100 minutes.

the Wii has a shit virtual console

jtyT7dv.gif

I got to play a number of classics for the first time through the VC, with a few exceptions most of the best games for the represented platforms available are in there. Not bad at all especially with the current VC shambles which is actually pretty shit.

someone should definitely pick up the slack on Wrestlemanias 19, 21, 25, 26, and 27

I did leave myself open as a backup.
I could do 19, 21 or 25 since I have them on hand.
No gifs though, I'd sooner end up doing Laserfrogs idea.

- The Usos vs. The Real Americans vs. Rybaxel vs. Los Matadores for the WWE Tag Team titles

- AJ Lee vs. Naomi vs. Cameron vs. Brie Bella vs. Nikki Bella vs. Natalya vs. Eva Marie vs. Emma vs. Aksana vs. Alicia Fox vs. Summer Rae vs. Rosa Mendes vs. Layla vs. Tamina Snuka for the Divas title

- Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. (winner of Bryan vs Triple H) for the WWE World Heavyweight title

Last year we had the same amount of matches basically too, so I could definitely see one or two spilling over to the pre-show and backstage segments being cut again. A lot of stuff was planned for Mania 29 that never made air because they didn't fully time it out until the day of the show.

Undercard matches and backstage segments will be the first things to go if it comes to that.

I love how WWE even now still has no WrestleMania 25 and two WrestleMania 26's.

If you ever need a reason to prove WWE is dumb as fuck, there you go.

Technically the name for twenty-fifth Wrestlemania was "Wrestlemania XXV" even though all of the marketing has the bumblefuck name of "THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF WRESTLEMANIA"

Nocturnowl is from England. While we were playing the NES, his country was playing crappy computer games. He's seeing those Virtual Console games for the first time.

Striker

That Wrestlemania list need to wipe out the Triple H-Taker matches from XXVII and XXVIII. God awful. Their match at Wrestlemania 17 is miles better.

Mike Sharpe/Von Crush
Bobby Devito
Jason Knight
Seeing random jobber names from WWF (or WCW for that matter) makes me think of how generic NXT names are. It'd help if they built up some gimmick/persona thing, i.e. Bret 'Hitman' Hart and the Narcissist Lex Luger.

DMczaf

That Wrestlemania list need to wipe out the Triple H-Taker matches from XXVII and XXVIII. God awful. Their match at Wrestlemania 17 is miles better.

Someone did not watch the talking heads weeks after those matches telling us how epic those 2 matches were. I can't believe they allowed us mere mortals to watch such events for the low low price of $64.95.

Ultratech

I...like the VC on the Wii. Lots of classics up for download.

It was alright, it just could've had more stuff on there.

Nintendo kinda dropped the ball on it a bit.

Someone did not watch the talking heads weeks after those matches telling us how epic those 2 matches were. I can't believe they allowed us mere mortals to watch such events for the low low price of $64.95.

I know, right? Some of the best matches we've ever seen!
Hahahahaha...no. Though as far as Undertaker's WM matches go, they're just decent.

Nocturnowl is from England. While we were playing the NES, his country was playing crappy computer games. He's seeing those Virtual Console games for the first time.

Oh Beany boy, no need to make up lies with your envy of our 50hz NES quality complete with slower gameplay and music.
Thanks to the Wii Virtual Console™ I can re-experience classics in their 50hz format for that authentic British experience.

Oh Beany boy, no need to make up lies with your envy of our 50hz NES quality complete with slower gameplay and music.
Thanks to the Wii Virtual Console™ I can re-experience classics in their 50hz format for that authentic British experience.

Pssst, we had Japanese consoles here too. Also, we actually liked SEGA. Euros have better taste, confirmed.

Japanese consoles weren't embraced in England until Peter Molyneux and Rare games were supported.

somedevil

I'll go with match times not including introductions and if they get their act together and follow WrestleMania 19's overall match time of 135 minutes then you can do this. The top 4 matches 3 can have 20 minutes and 1 can have 25. Then you can do 15 for the battle royal and shield match. Give 10 for the tag match and divas match and that's it.

BHZ Mayor

Fucking Triple H man. I was just thinking about Rock/Hogan at X8, and it's like how do you have the current biggest superstar at the time facing off against the all-time biggest superstar and have that NOT be the main event? So dumb.

strobogo

Banned
Fucking Triple H man. I was just thinking about Rock/Hogan at X8, and it's like how do you have the current biggest superstar at the time facing off against the all-time biggest superstar and have that NOT be the main event? So dumb.

I would blame that on Vince more than HHH.

BHZ Mayor

Just did some reading on X8 and even before HHH/Jericho...

They followed up Rock/Hogan with a Women's Championship match and a Christian/Maven Hardcore Title segment?! What the fuck were the bookers thinking?

Penguin

Just did some reading on X8 and even before HHH/Jericho...

They followed up Rock/Hogan with a Women's Championship match and a Christian/Maven Hardcore Title segment?! What the fuck were the bookers thinking?

The same thing they always think

A cooldown period.

Most WrestleMania's tend to have some goofiness before the main event to give the audience a chance to reset their energy/go to the bathroom, etc.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WWF Monday Night Raw 2/14/93

Two pre show promos from Beefcake and DiBiase. Jimmy Hart seems really not into Ted taking this match.

Fucking Bartlett is still here. Vlad the Superfan! Love that dude.

Steiner Brothers vs Glenn Ruth/Bobby Who

Scott and Thrasher begin. The first real move of the match is Scott hitting a dragon suplex. Tags are made. Belly to belly. Michigan Stampede Doomsday Decapitation Elbow Device. Macho's head set is having a lot of issues. Steinerline. Tiger Driver. Steiner Bulldog for the easy win.

ibtIsNEtzDaNRm.gif

TO THE WRESTLEMANIA REPORT. Gene talks about how Las Vegas is now the family entertainment capital of the world. It isn't. I was in Las Vegas last month. The kids hotel had smoking everywhere and a stripper just inside the door. And hooker ads right outside. We get a run down of the card so far. Don't miss the pageantry!

Yokozuna vs Ross Greenberg

Lariatooooo. Belly to belly. Leg drop. Sumo slaps in the corner. Ass splash. Banzai drop. "You gotta be ribbin, fix this thing!" says Savage, who is still having trouble with his head set. Yoko yells something about "For Samoa". Way to kill the gimmick, big man. Randy allegedly takes Bartlett's headset, but you can see at the bottom of the screen that the audio doesn't match the video and Bartlett is sipping out of a cup while Randy is "taking" the headset.

TO THE CONTROL CENTER. Lord Al shows us footage of Yoko vs Hacksaw from Superstars. Duggan would be the first wrestler to knock Yoko off his feet in singles competition. However, Yoko would throw a large amount of salt in Hacksaw's eyes and crushed him with the banzai drop. The US flag would be draped on Duggan and he was given another banzai drop. He would be stretchered out as we got a slow zoom of the US flag dissolving to a Yoko/Fuji promo.

Next we are shown clips of Giant Gonzalez wrecking some jobbers, including Louie Spicolli.

iTfPBbnyUr6bk.gif

This Bret/ICOPRO ad is hilarious. I would love to work out at the WWF weight room.

16 Man Battle Royal

Tito, Rooster, Backlund, Razor, HBK, Tatanka, Owen, Koko, Berzerker, Mike Sharpe, Kimchee, Kamala, Typhoon, Skinner, Damian Demento. What a group of guys. Koko gets eliminated with a huge back drop from HBK. I believe he took the same bump in 2 Rumbles. Kimchee eliminated Kamala. Kamala got back in the ring and eliminated him, then chased him around the building. This was the first Raw I saw. I remember randomly tuning in for this battle royal and specifically the Kamala/Kimchee chase. We're down to HBK, Razor, Tito, and Tatanka. It appears we're going to get a tag match out of it. HBK is out. Giant Gonzalez comes out and eliminates Tatanka and Tito. He wanted to be in the battle royal, but the wrestlers threatened to pull out if he was involved. Razor wins because he was wise enough to slide out of the ring when Gonzalez was out.

Brutus Beefcake vs Ted Dibiase

The Beefer's return to in ring action. Both guys look out of shape and pudgy. Brutus does some strutting when Ted tries to lock up. Ted tries to punch the borked face. Brutus dodges it and knocks Ted to the floor. Jimmy Hart repeatedly tells Ted he needs to be careful. Very basic stuff here. IRS comes to ringside. I swear I heard someone scream "faggot!" at him. He hits Beefcase in the back with his briefcase, causing a DQ. Money Inc continues to beat up Beefcake after the match. Jimmy Hart tries his best to prevent IRS from hitting Beefcake in the face with the briefcase. IRS shoves him to the floor and they bust that face up again. There is a blood spot in the ring, but I don't see any blood on Beefcake. He's stretchered out.

iV7ql7UOsXqQW.gif

Next week we'll see Tatanka/Nasty Boys vs HBK/Beverlys, plus Money Inc in action. And possibly HULK HOGAN!

BHZ Mayor

I think they've said time and time again that not putting Rock/Hogan on last was a big mistake. See: WM28.

I'm aware that they've acknowledged that it was a mistake, but I'm just flabbergasted that somebody even looked at the card and thought it was okay in the first place. Like what was the thinking behind it?

Somebody actually said "hmm, let's take a match between two of biggest superstars of all time, and follow it up with a Women's Title match and a Christian segment." Then someone else actually said "sounds good."

And that's not even getting into the the absurdity of Triple H vs. Jericho being the dumb booking decision cherry on top. Any other PPV during that time period and most of the Ruthless Aggression era, that could have been a passable main event as far as star power is concerned, just not after Hogan and the Rock.

Was it ever figured out, in 2011, what CM Punk wanted changed so bad in WWE? Was it the constant building everything around Cena? It also seemed to have changed for a while, but it then slowly crept back up and Punk gave up. Always wondered what it was.

Similarly, Taker/HBK at Mania 25 should have gone on last too. HHH/Orton was a turd. Even Vince thought so.

Taker/Michaels at 25 was a good match with a good story but I don't think it was expected to be the "Perfect Wrestling Match" which it became. There was nothing storyline that dictated it going on last so I can understand why they didn't choose it at the time.

Was it ever figured out, in 2011, what CM Punk wanted changed so bad in WWE? Was it the constant building everything around Cena? It also seemed to have changed for a while, but it then slowly crept back up and Punk gave up. Always wondered what it was.

The storyline wasn't about Punk wanting actual change, it was about Punk wanting to be on top. Go back and watch the pipe bomb promo and try to remember that Punk is the heel.

Taker/Michaels at 25 was a good match with a good story but I don't think it was expected to be the "Perfect Wrestling Match" which it became. There was nothing storyline that dictated it going on last so I can understand why they didn't choose it at the time.

Yeah I mean, I get it. HHH/Orton was built as this big, giant blood feud that began with chin locks. Great. From what I heard about that match, Vince at one point stood up and threw his headset down in anger at it.

somedevil

I think HHH was bitter about it to

Remember the Slammys that year where he remarked he couldn't even follow that match.

Speaking of HHH, WWE has put up some of his Mania intros... and he gets some goofy ones

http://www.wwe.com/videos/playlists/triple-h-wrestlemania-entrances

Triple H has had that problem with his WrestleMania matches not with Undertaker. His matches with Orton, Jericho and Brock have all been overshadowed. The Orton match problem was the stipulation killed the match. It was a blood feud match that should of been no dq. Instead they put the stipulation that if Triple H was dq'ed he would lose.

Also, Jericho returns have given us great gifs like this:

iIL1i2zcwwFn2.gif

The storyline wasn't about Punk wanting actual change, it was about Punk wanting to be on top. Go back and watch the pipe bomb promo and try to remember that Punk is the heel.

Well I also understand that basically Punk wanted Cena's spot and tried to get it by politicking his way there. I don't blame him, but it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom