• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Road To Raw After Wrestlemania XXX has begun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil ways

Was it ever figured out, in 2011, what CM Punk wanted changed so bad in WWE? Was it the constant building everything around Cena? It also seemed to have changed for a while, but it then slowly crept back up and Punk gave up. Always wondered what it was.

The infinite reliance on Cena and the lack of building new talent. Everytime someone showed promise, they were fed to Cena in a 4 minute squash.

Plus there was a period in WWE that was nothing but HHH, Cena, Orton and Batista fighting eachother.

Ithil

I think HHH was bitter about it to

Remember the Slammys that year where he remarked he couldn't even follow that match.

Speaking of HHH, WWE has put up some of his Mania intros... and he gets some goofy ones

http://www.wwe.com/videos/playlists/triple-h-wrestlemania-entrances

I recall HHH saying his match with Orton was a misfire, and they put the match together all wrong. It should have been a violent brawl, but they hamstrung it with the DQ stipulation and the match ended up blowing as a result.
And yeah, he mentioned Vince got sick of the match at one point and walked off from gorilla position.

The infinite reliance on Cena and the lack of building new talent. Everytime someone showed promise, they were fed to Cena in a 4 minute squash.

Plus there was a period in WWE that was nothing but HHH, Cena, Orton and Batista fighting eachother.

Which is weird, because as I understand it Cena loves it when someone can get there and comes close to his level. It's not his fault that he's been WWE's "easy button" for so many years.

The Narcissist Lex Luger vs Jason Knight

Lex's in ring debut for the WWF. As Lex is posing in his mirror, a very hefty Raw Girl walks in his view, which angers him greatly. Before the match, we're shown an old vignette of Perfect being the perfect quarterback. ECW all up in this bitch tonight. Jason looks like a sack of shit, just like Vito. No striations at all. Just jiggly fat. Vince hypes up Quantum Leap after Raw. Lex misses the forearm. A fan actually yelled out "YOU MISSED HIM", so Lex picks Jason back up to hit a standing forearm. He wins by pinning with his pinky. They'll be pre-empted next week due to the dog show, but they'll come back in 2 weeks with a 16 man battle royal and the return of Brutus Beefcake.

How could you leave out the fact that he hits a very wimpy Cesaro Swing after the match? He only gets like two rotations. Some Total Package.

Ithil

I think a problem when Punk shook up the place in 2011 was there wasn't really many to actually come up and be given a chance. Bryan was there in the mid card, his journey to the top ended up being separate from Punk's and very long indeed. Dolph wasn't ready at that time, and the undercard was awful. Remember how bad the 2011 Royal Rumble was, even with 40 men?

So yeah, then we got locked back into Cena Land in 2012-2013, because we had the two WMs with the Rock and that's all they really cared about. We seem to be moving away from Cena again in 2014, but this time they have a much stronger roster, especially of new talent. Bryan is on fire and close to the top, you've got the Shield, the Wyatt Family, Cesaro, tons of guys down in NXT, etc.

The crowd are also way more rebellious now than they were in 2011. So we'll see how the landscape changes in 2014.

Penguin

Triple H has had that problem with his WrestleMania matches not with Undertaker. His matches with Orton, Jericho and Brock have all been overshadowed. The Orton match problem was the stipulation killed the match. It was a blood feud match that should of been no dq. Instead they put the stipulation that if Triple H was dq'ed he would lose.

Also, Jericho returns have given us great gifs like this:

iIL1i2zcwwFn2.gif

Yeah for a guy who has main evented.. what 5-6 Manias, I don't think he has really had a Mania moment yet.

Alucard

Banned

Hey guys, remember when Cena elevated Sandow in defeat? Remember?!

DMczaf

Yeah for a guy who has main evented.. what 5-6 Manias, I don't think he has really had a Mania moment yet.

And it's going to be harder for him to earn one when he keeps forcing each match down our throat as the greatest match that ever happened.

Look at what happened at the end of Summerslam vs Brock. I think that was the first time he finally realized his actual place in WWE history. He does not get the respect that guys like HBK and Taker get.

Which is weird, because as I understand it Cena loves it when someone can get there and comes close to his level. It's not his fault that he's been WWE's "easy button" for so many years.

But if that's true, why does he go on to bury them on the mic

he even did it to bray a couple of weeks ago, before I guess someone told him "Uh, most our mania card sucks so we actually need people to be interested in this match", and he went rather abruptly into over the top fear mode with "I CAN'T BEAT THIS GUY WHO I NEVER FOUGHT BEFORE MAN".

strobogo

Banned
Lex Luger always sucked. Always. There was never a positive Luger moment.

Idk, he was enjoyable before he went to the WWF. And his match with Mr. Perfect was pretty good. But after that, in ring I'd agree, but I really enjoyed the angle where he and Sting were friends when heel and face. He had some good matches with Flair in the 80s and Steiners vs Sting/Lex was dope.

Alucard

Banned
With the Network, is it at all possible to type in a wrestler's name and watch all of their matches and angles in chronological order? Once it comes to Canada, I'd love to watch Bret Hart's career from start to finish.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Even Barry Windham talked about how much luger god damn sucked in the ring and how he never got better.

And that's Barry Windham. He barely talks bad about anyone

JavyOO7

But if that's true, why does he go on to bury them on the mic

he even did it to bray a couple of weeks ago, before I guess someone told him "Uh, most our mania card sucks so we actually need people to be interested in this match", and he went rather abruptly into over the top fear mode with "I CAN'T BEAT THIS GUY WHO I NEVER FOUGHT BEFORE MAN".

A few posters in this thread have said it already but I'm shocked Cena hasn't gone to the well yet and flat out said to Wyatt: "...hey man, you lookin' a bit 'husky', tonight."

somedevil

A few posters in this thread have said it already but I'm shocked Cena hasn't gone to the well yet and flat out said to Wyatt: "...hey man, you lookin' a bit 'husky', tonight."

Doesn't matter if you look at Bray reactions recently he is going to be the 2nd biggest babyface next to Bryan at WrestleMania.

Sblargh

Banned
Doesn't matter if you look at Bray reactions recently he is going to be the 2nd biggest babyface next to Bryan at WrestleMania.

Can't you be a heel who is over? :p
I mean, the audience is not uniform, let me put this philosophical question to you: isn't the status of someone as a face or as a heel relative to the particular fan who cheers or not for him?

Btw, yo, NeoGAF, recommend me a PPV to watch on the Network! Do it now! Only stuff you really like, please!

You didn't like it, bean breath?

I don't have a device to play it on my TV.

The thought of watching Wrestlemania on my phone, inside my car, parked in a McDonald's parking lot, leeching off their wifi, sounds appealing just because it pairs so nicely with the subject matter but alas...

strobogo

Banned
Can't you be a heel who is over? :p
I mean, the audience is not uniform, let me put this philosophical question to you: isn't the status of someone as a face or as a heel relative to the particular fan who cheers or not for him?

Btw, yo, NeoGAF, recommend me a PPV to watch on the Network! Do it now! Only stuff you really like, please!

WCW Beach Blast 1992

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom