• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Road To Raw After Wrestlemania XXX has begun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
hhh has a million dollar a year contract with the WWE as talent. not including his other work. seriously? is he really worth that much?
HHH is a draw and when he beats Daniel Bryan for the chance at the belt and then pins Big Dave and Randy (at the same time!) He'll be promoting his new workout DVD and saying "If you want to be the face of the WWE, you gotta workout with me!"

The writings on the wall, but no one is even considering it.

wake up marks

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
A new thread? I didn't even get a chance to catch up on the old one. Oh well, I'm sure most of it was just random talk about superheroes or the like all the way to the end. Men In Black is the best comic book movie though even though it has so very little in common with the comic (just shooting people in the head as opposed to kid friendly memory eraser).

Is there a timeline out there for when WWE used certain rings? I know during the 80s they had a stiffer, more weight-baring ring as opposed to the more spring loaded type by 96, but beyond that I can't really find any information about it. I'm curious because falls to the mat really do sound different, as well as high some of those bounces were after a top rings supplex or moonsault and the like.

hhh has a million dollar a year contract with the WWE as talent. not including his other work. seriously? is he really worth that much?

As bad as it is? Aye, he actually is worth that considering people will buy tickets just to go see and boo him as much as they will pay to cheer for Bryan. Also it does include the stuff he does live at NXT, workout videos, making Big Show cry, and other activities.

G-Fex

A new thread? I didn't even get a chance to catch up on the old one. Oh well, I'm sure most of it was just random talk about superheroes or the like all the way to the end. Men In Black is the best comic book movie though even though it has so very little in common with the comic (just shooting people in the head as opposed to kid friendly memory eraser).

You meant Ninja turtles right?

KenOD

You meant Ninja turtles right?

While I greatly enjoyed the first few movies (yes even the third), I wasn't a big fan of the comedic turtles. I started and fell in love with the comic Turtles and would say a movie based off those original comics would easily be the best if done right.

Still in the top 100 though.

I like the 70s/early 80s ring. The purplish mat.

A good one, bit heavy with a trampoline effect though. Great for a lot of the holds and mat takedowns, bad once they started going for the big slams with big heavy guys beyond just Andre.

strobogo

Banned
While I greatly enjoyed the first few movies (yes even the third), I wasn't a big fan of the comedic turtles. I started and fell in love with the comic Turtles and would say a movie based off those original comics would easily be the best if done right.

A good one, bit heavy with a trampoline effect though. Great for a lot of the holds and mat takedowns, bad once they started going for the big slams with big heavy guys beyond just Andre.

Well there wasn't a lot of big slams going on during that time. They upgraded to a much stiffer ring around 1986, which stayed until around 1996 which was a little bouncier. Then I believe in 1999 they switched to a much easier ring, although it was harder on knees because it bounced more.

G-Fex

Secret of the Ooze is better than the first one. It had Keno and Vanilla Ice.

Also better April.

I do like secret of the ooze but I don't know about better

Still in the top 100 though.

I can't really like dark serious turtles.

Also I like the WCW ring even though it's pretty small. It had good sound to it

KenOD

Never watch the 80s CMLL matches then. All the mics were pointed directly at the mat, but it was this lumpy, uneven, horsehair mat and every bump just sounded like a wet sack hitting the ground and then it echo'd.

Everyone knows its 2>1>4>3

I haven't seen TMNT (the CG one), so I can't comment on it. But I watched the live-action ones again recently, and 2 is probably the weakest of the three. I don't really like to use the argument very much, but it's pure nostalgia that people like 2, at least that's what I'm convinced. It's not a *bad* movie, but there's almost no fighting whatsoever. And in the few fight scenes that there are, the turtles don't even use their weapons! The side-story of the ooze also gets dropped and forgotten about midway through the movie after they rescue the professor. Ninja Rap is still ace, but that's probably the high point of the movie for me.

For all the flack that 3 gets with the time travel and whatnot, it's a very action-filled movie with some good fights and action sequences. The turtles tend to joke around a *lot* more, so if you didn't like them making quips in the 2nd movie, then you won't like it in the 3rd. But I think it's a much more solid film than the 2nd is.

The computer animated one is just okay, the Nick series is better. We should be seeing the new one's trailer soon, it's included with Captain America 2.

Bandini

Guys....

Miz is still employed.

tumblr_n2ltm1zV4J1srbyoyo1_1280.png

Miz set my love of wrestling back 10 years. How much longer on his contract?

KenOD

What happened with Sandow? He looks like a broken man on Smackdown.

"You are going to be the next World Heavyweight Champion!" to "jobber to make Cena-Orton feud look good" to this. It's not so much a matter of not getting a push, as much as it never even mattered despite the start of a fun feud he almost had with Cody Rhodes. Though he does seem to look like he's having more fun on the house shows at least when he gets some mic time and be a bit more of his old boastful self.

Someone else might say he is just playing the role of the Steph-HHH whipping boy since they can take out all their aggression, verbally, on him and he won't fight back.

G-Fex

I haven't seen TMNT (the CG one), so I can't comment on it. But I watched the live-action ones again recently, and 2 is probably the weakest of the three. I don't really like to use the argument very much, but it's pure nostalgia that people like 2, at least that's what I'm convinced. It's not a *bad* movie, but there's almost no fighting whatsoever. And in the few fight scenes that there are, the turtles don't even use their weapons! The side-story of the ooze also gets dropped and forgotten about midway through the movie after they rescue the professor. Ninja Rap is still ace, but that's probably the high point of the movie for me.

For all the flack that 3 gets with the time travel and whatnot, it's a very action-filled movie with some good fights and action sequences. The turtles tend to joke around a *lot* more, so if you didn't like them making quips in the 2nd movie, then you won't like it in the 3rd. But I think it's a much more solid film than the 2nd is.
but 2 is really awesome. I saw all 3 in theaters actually.

I like 2 a ton.

the CGI one is garbage. Just trash.

and Miz is a cool guy

strobogo

Banned
"You are going to be the next World Heavyweight Champion!" to "jobber to make Cena-Orton feud look good" to this. It's not so much a matter of not getting a push, as much as it never even mattered despite the start of a fun feud he almost had with Cody Rhodes. Though he does seem to look like he's having more fun on the house shows at least when he gets some mic time and be a bit more of his old boastful self.

Someone else might say he is just playing the role of the Steph-HHH whipping boy since they can take out all their aggression, verbally, on him and he won't fight back.

There are so many better guys to pick on than Sandow. Like Miz. Or Alex Riley. Or Christian.

Just over 6 and a half hours till the New Japan show!

NJPW, "NEW JAPAN CUP - 2nd ROUND", 2014.03.22
Nagoya Congress Center

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $15

17:00 JST | 09:00 EU | 08:00 UK | 04:00 East Coast | 01:00 West Coast

1. Sho Tanaka vs Yohei Komatsu
2. Yuji Nagata, Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask vs CHAOS (Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & YOSHI-HASHI)
3. G.B.H. (Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma) & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga)
4. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Manabu Nakanishi, El Desperado & Captain New Japan vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Yujiro Takahashi & Jado)
5. New Japan Cup - 2nd Round: Katsuyori Shibata vs Shelton 'X' Benjamin
6. New Japan Cup - 2nd Round: Tetsuya Naito vs Bad Luck Fale
7. New Japan Cup - 2nd Round: Hirooki Goto vs Minoru Suzuki
8. New Japan Cup - 2nd Round: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Prince Devitt

Picking Shibata, Naito, Suzuki and Devitt to make it through. I had initially thought it'd be a Shibata/Nakamura final, but now I'm not so sure, so I'll say Devitt beats Nakamura (with Bullet Club assistance), Suzuki beats Devitt the day after and goes on to face Shibata in the final. Also looking forward to the young lions match - Yohei Komatsu is looking to be something special and Tanaka has shown a lot of fire. The tag matches look fun as well, especially that G.B.H. & Taguchi vs Bullet Club one. I just hope Honma doesn't take the fall. Again.

Goddamn I love Manabu Nakanishi's theme. SO GODDAMN GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40l-pb0SPdA

That is pretty epic. I'm a big fan of Akira Taue's theme;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asXWcRonOG0

Also, only in Japan would a title have its own theme music;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgfcB89CzGw

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just over 6 and a half hours till the New Japan show!

NJPW, "NEW JAPAN CUP - 2nd ROUND", 2014.03.22
Nagoya Congress Center

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $15

17:00 JST | 09:00 EU | 08:00 UK | 04:00 East Coast | 01:00 West Coast

1. Sho Tanaka vs Yohei Komatsu
2. Yuji Nagata, Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask vs CHAOS (Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & YOSHI-HASHI)
3. G.B.H. (Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma) & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga)
4. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Manabu Nakanishi, El Desperado & Captain New Japan vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Yujiro Takahashi & Jado)
5. New Japan Cup - 2nd Round: Katsuyori Shibata vs Shelton 'X' Benjamin
6. New Japan Cup - 2nd Round: Tetsuya Naito vs Bad Luck Fale
7. New Japan Cup - 2nd Round: Hirooki Goto vs Minoru Suzuki
8. New Japan Cup - 2nd Round: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Prince Devitt

Picking Shibata, Naito, Suzuki and Devitt to make it through. I had initially thought it'd be a Shibata/Nakamura final, but now I'm not so sure, so I'll say Devitt beats Nakamura (with Bullet Club assistance), Suzuki beats Devitt the day after and goes on to face Shibata in the final. Also looking forward to the young lions match - Yohei Komatsu is looking to be something special and Tanaka has shown a lot of fire. The tag matches look fun as well, especially that G.B.H. & Taguchi vs Bullet Club one. I just hope Honma doesn't take the fall. Again.

That is pretty epic. I'm a big fan of Akira Taue's theme;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asXWcRonOG0

Also, only in Japan would a title have its own theme music;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgfcB89CzGw

Can't wait for the NJPW show. Gonna be a bunch of fun. Nothing hypes me up quite like NJPW. Gonna try to be awake!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
NAO suck, but they sure can make a beating look good. It's weird seeing Kane order people around, but at least he had one day looking strong in this role.

When are they gonna show Tuesday Night Titans?

Watching Vince on that show was like watching a naive college student in his first year broadcasting course trying out for public television. The chemistry he had with Lord Alfred Hayes on top of that was endearing as hell to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom