• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Rollercoaster to WrestleMania XXXIII!

If his turn showcased legitimate frustrations on his behalf and forced him to be real rather than read the shit Vince rights for him he could be over as fuck within a year.

If he came out dressed as a main eventer and was himself he would get over. The shield shit might work for the suits designing powerpoint presentations to hasbro on their brand strength but it doesn't get him over.

Do you think Kevin Owens "dresses* like a main eventer?

I agree the whole 'DIE ROCKY DIE' angle could work, but I think if they book him the same people will just get frustrated with him rather than him having actual heel heat. If they still book him to go over everyone (which I think they would) then I don't know how much it will actually matter.

I couldn't do all of 97. Skipped to 8/97 from march.

Well we'll see how much patience i have. The guys on the lapsed fan podcast talk about 97 like it's all gold. Either way i find it interesting purely as a time capsule and looking at what's better/worse now.

For a start with it currently being an hour long there's no time for stopping or pointless recaps. Does anyone actually watch raw in full these days? I just catch what looks interesting (usually Jericho/Owens) on YouTube.

Zach

Decided i want to watch the 90s hot period from the beginning so starting with raw in October 96. Totally forgot JR had a heel colour run, he's actually pretty good at it too.

One of the few great things about the Attitude Era!

I used to think Reigns was salvageable. This is the issue though. They're incapable of not having him close Raw every week. Even when he's not the champ, he's the main character of Raw. I thought the US title was a smart move. The only way to salvage Reigns is to shuffle him down the roster. He needs to rise on his own ability or not at all. His US title run showed that they are incapable of keeping him out of the main event scene.

Man, is he really always involved in the headlining matches/angles? Speaking of the Attitude Era, even a super-charismatic, all-time-entertaining guy like Austin would get tiring after months and months and months of the same song and dance. A dude like Roman Reigns ain't got a prayer.

Well we'll see how much patience i have. The guys on the lapsed fan podcast talk about 97 like it's all gold. Either way i find it interesting purely as a time capsule and looking at what's better/worse now.

For a start with it currently being an hour long there's no time for stopping or pointless recaps. Does anyone actually watch raw in full these days? I just catch what looks interesting (usually Jericho/Owens) on YouTube.
I would skip smackdown and fast fordward a lot of raw. Now hulu cuts out a lot so I watch more of both. I added nxt and 205 too.

I'm watching nitro and ppvs too. Hopefully I make it through 98.

Still with raw 96 mainly because I'm shocked they actually did this - they gave Jake a drunk gimmick ?!? He just walked out with a brown bag staggering. Ok they just revealed it as Jake hustling Lawler but that's kinda gross in hindsight knowing how his life went from here.

Sephzilla

Knowing what happened to Jake's life kind of makes the early parts of the Austin 3:16 promo awkward for me. Maybe that's why they usually only show the last part of it when revisiting it.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
One of the few great things about the Attitude Era!

Man, is he really always involved in the headlining matches/angles? Speaking of the Attitude Era, even a super-charismatic, all-time-entertaining guy like Austin would get tiring after months and months and months of the same song and dance. A dude like Roman Reigns ain't got a prayer.

Austin, Rock, and Foley all worked because creative got out of their way. WWE has talent, never gonna be another attitude era, but they can't get out of their own way and let the talent show what they got in terms of character. Most of their characters that really work currently are the exceptions like Jericho.

Striker

Still with raw 96 mainly because I'm shocked they actually did this - they gave Jake a drunk gimmick ?!? He just walked out with a brown bag staggering. Ok they just revealed it as Jake hustling Lawler but that's kinda gross in hindsight knowing how his life went from here.

Lawler got real into it on commentary. You'll see.

And they did an angle with Hawk from LoD being a drunk. It was pretty dumb as you'd expect, completely wasting them.

Zach

I was a wcw fan back in 98

Get into this hug, half a moon.

Wait. '98? Ewww.

Austin, Rock, and Foley all worked because creative got out of their way. WWE has talent, never gonna be another attitude era, but they can't get out of their own way and let the talent show what they got in terms of character. Most of their characters that really work currently are the exceptions like Jericho.

I doubt any Austin/Rock/Foley-worthy promos are there to stifle anyway.

Friends, I have two options for an event to go to early Saturday before Takeover

12 PM - Pro Wrestling Revolver at Wydham Orlando:

*Ricochet vs. Shane Strickland.
*Brian Cage & Sami Callihan vs. Rey Fenix & Pentagon OM.
*David Starr vs. Jeff Cobb.
*Dave & Jake Crist vs. Jack Evans & Angelico.
*Jake Manning vs. Su Yung.
*Michael Elgin vs. ACH vs. Dezmond Xavier vs. Palmer.
*AR Fox Open Invite Ladder Match: Lio Rush vs. Matt Cross vs. Trevor Lee vs. Serpentico vs. AR Fox vs. more TBA

or a non wrestling event.....

2 PM - Ringside with Jim Ross at Plaza North Live.

*JR Live on stage with special guests Tony Schivaone and Paul O'Brien. For details, visit www.JrsBarBQ.com.

Both should end well within enough time for me to get to Takeover.

The wrestling show has a lot of Lucha Underground stars I have never seen live and I've never seen JR or Tony Shivaone in person like that either..

Decisions decisions.

You've got a few more options: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13wr2m1E4TQvuNEKxpSRJdbLwhyDjGqdfSWB3myREdXw/edit#gid=0

Your ROH's, SHIMMER, WCPW are also all a decent shout.

LAST CALL FOR JAKE THE SNAKE!

Kaladin

I opted against anything extra that weekend. Later shows like those at 4pm or so would push me getting to Takeover on time and earlier shows like the Noon Pro Wrestling Revolver would have me leave at 8am to get there. I'm sticking to Takeover and Mania.

I honestly don't think JR is showing up to that presentation.

Hey Menome, finally finished the first Uncharted, it was okaish, the intro to the second one is already better than the entirety of Drake's Fortune!

Hey! Where's Elena? And who's this Chloe girl? She sucks :(

All wrestlers are shit apart from hornswoggle

Hornswoggle-various-gifs-001_004.gif

hornswoggle-owns-michelle-o.gif

That's when it all falls apart, brother. The wheels were coming off, duuude.

It was certainly a magical year for wrassle, yes. Maybe not my fave after rewatching, but great nonetheless.

Gimme a date, coward.
They still had good ratings. I though it fell apart with Russo

Zach

If you're referring to the stuff from OT1, I addressed that a few pages back.

I was referring to you flying off the handle after I was joshing you earlier! D:

P.S. I hope I missed you responding to my hilarious Dukes of Hazzard post because it was hilarious!

(Hilarious!!)

EDIT: Oops I forgot to reply to this.

I remember doing that when I was a kid being an e-fed nerd.
Here is the NXT takeover card so far:

Roode vs Nak
Asuka vs Ember
DIY vs Revival vs AOP
Aliester Black vs Cien Almas

The only other possible match added will be Sanity vs No Way, Tye, Strong and Ruby Riot.

Plus if I see Asuka retaining if one of the Shimmer wrestlers are seen in a crowd shot.

Shimmer? I'm assuming we'll be seeing Io and Kairi in the front row. I still want Asuka to lose but not so sure about moving her up considering who's coming in over the next couple months. I guess maybe Evie since she's signed but hasn't been announced yet.

Blink twice if you're going to do a run-in to help me and Biggest-Geek-Ever win at GWF 2.

Heh. You funny, DMczaf.

I'm blinking a grand total of two times..

Johnny Ryalllllllll

I've heard of you - is it true that you drink, lie, are covered with flies and wear pass-me-down Pumas?

All wrestlers are shit apart from hornswoggle

Hornswoggle-various-gifs-001_004.gif

Who is the poor unfortunate carny soul selling for Swoggle?

Sephzilla

Getting a tattoo of Jack Swaggers "WE THE PEOPLE" logo makes me think that person is either stupid or a racist if you remember the original context of WE THE PEOPLE

Top Bottom