• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Okamid3n

The effect of the green's bounce on where the ball goes is insanely high, atleast on the shots I'm practicing now. Replaying the Americas Near-pin tournament right now, if my aim is perfect, I can hole-in-one hole 1 to 3 ~50% of the times by repeating the exact same shot. But if I'm even a tiny bit off to the left or right, I can sometimes be as wildly short OR long as 8fts due to a very noticeable bounce on the green. This is very rare on those holes, while more common on more slanted greens, but it still happens on hole 1 to 3.

I wonder if there are more reliable ways to approach the hole to lower the effects of your ball bouncing on a slope. I'm guessing learning how to backspin all your shots would be the most reliable way to do so, since the green is usually more consistant/even directly around the hole...

Perhaps, also, using lower-bouncing shots would reduce this effect.

I wonder if there are more reliable ways to approach the hole to lower the effects of your ball bouncing on a slope. I'm guessing learning how to backspin all your shots would be the most reliable way to do so, since the green is usually more consistant/even directly around the hole...

I'll have to look into the backspin. Every time I tried it it screwed me over.

Okamid3n

I'll have to look into the backspin. Every time I tried it it screwed me over.

It's possible that backspin is a bad idea, I'm just trying to find solutions.

I wouldn't recommend, for example, doing 100% power when backspinning, because then, it backspins too much, which would mean you'd have to shoot way past the hole before the backspin kicks in, so we end up with the same problems. If, on the other hand, you shoot at ~80% of your club's power, the spin is much, much shorter, so its easier to work around it.

That's how I first cleared the one-on one-putt challenge without much fuss: short 80% backspin on most holes, which has the bonus of reducing the wind's effect by a lot. You never have to adjust much for the wind with these types of shots.

Jasconius

It's possible that backspin is a bad idea, I'm just trying to find solutions.

I wouldn't recommend, for example, doing 100% power when backspinning, because then, it backspins too much, which would mean you'd have to shoot way past the hole before the backspin kicks in, so we end up with the same problems. If, on the other hand, you shoot at ~80% of your club's power, the spin is much, much shorter, so its easier to work around it.

That's how I first cleared the one-on one-putt challenge without much fuss: short 80% backspin on most holes, which has the bonus of reducing the wind's effect by a lot. You never have to adjust much for the wind with these types of shots.

This is a great post. I use backspin pretty much all the time but I didn't think of making sure to use a higher club for less actual backspin. I've gotten pretty good at getting the backspin to get near the hole anyway by shooting farther past it, but this idea will be another tool to add to my repertoire when I can't find a good angle for that.

I guess the main problem with using more backspin is that I can usually get it close to the hole but with strong winds you have to hit it pretty far away to account for the wind blowing the ball back towards the hole and then the ball rolling that same way on the backspin. Hard to see -exactly- where you would need to hit in order to get that HIO...

So many pin shots but I finally got one :')

Would be on the one put challenge too.

jbeu03R83tyEeP.jpg

I really like how community match is handled in this game. Its so fun playing with you guys!
Has Nintendo messed up online for any of their 3DS games? All the ones I've tried have been great fun.

Edit: Crap, too busy posting :(

Edit2: I didn't know it was my turn, let me know when you're done. I'm going back to the one put challenge.

daydream

Banned
Gah! Sorry guys. Admittedly I'm sitting a bit far away from the router. :(

Edit: But not that much farther than usual. Just bad luck, I suppose (only my second communication error in 40h of play).

Oh, is that what happened? It said I didn't press a button for too long on my end :{

Shall we try again?
Uhh, I found Kid Icarus to be a bit laggy online, but thats probably because I always played Worldwide, other than that not really. MK7 is fun obviously. :p OH RIGHT, Now I remember. Mario Tennis 3DS was terrible IMO. I hated it. Booring.
I never did try Mario Tennis online. Considering how average the main game was I'm not surprised.

Smilax

Has Nintendo messed up online for any of their 3DS games? All the ones I've tried have been great fun.

Edit: Crap, too busy posting :(

Uhh, I found Kid Icarus to be a bit laggy online, but thats probably because I always played Worldwide, other than that not really. MK7 is fun obviously. :p OH RIGHT, Now I remember. Mario Tennis 3DS was terrible IMO. I hated it. Booring.

Anustart

Got a flag shot earlier. I'm wondering... Is it possible to just sink the ball, nothing but net style? As in it just drops in from the sky?

Will Greg learn from daydream or I? Or will he join us?

Looks like he joined us. lol

EDIT: This net's exploding

Can we please kill this router already and replace it?

im having so much fun with this game so far never played mario golf before. I was mainly a playstation guy so i played hot shots golf. anyways this game is a blast and im enjoying it alot more than Kirby: Triple Deluxe.

RM8

im enjoying it alot more than Kirby: Triple Deluxe.
Same! Just yesterday as I started playing Kirby I thought I was going to like it more. But nope, I had to go to work with ~5 hours of sleep because of this game. It's a bummer that I have to unlock Toad in a mode I'm not playing a lot, but at least I have Toadette now :p

Same! Just yesterday as I started playing Kirby I thought I was going to like it more. But nope, I had to go to work with ~5 hours of sleep because of this game. It's a bummer that I have to unlock Toad in a mode I'm not playing a lot, but at least I have Toadette now :p

I bought kirby first because i thought i would enjoy it more but i got bored with it and bought this game. For $30 you cant go wrong

Top Bottom