• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

I downloaded the demo and I had a good time with it.

Ended up deleting it cause I wanted to wait for the full game...but then I ended up downloading it again after reading all the reviews as well as getting an itch to play again, lol.

Definitely day 1. That season pass is looking pretty good as well...

Blackdog

Banned
Been playing the demo the past few nights. It's OK at best. And I say that as a goofy golf game connoisseur. Graphically it's a mess. Especially on the greens. Camera angles are atrocious. Not a fan at all of the coin or ring modes, and all the characters that speak are essentially unplayable to me. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have the characters constantly repeat the same thing over and over and over shouldnt be designing games. I'm also sick of Nintendo not offering a way to just turn off the music. As far as how it plays, I find the AB BA AA BB mechanic to be too forgiving and lacking in any challenge whatsoever. On a scale of Awesome to Poopy with Awesome being Pangya on PSP and Poopy being Let's Golf on any platform, I'd score the gameplay in World Tour somewhere in the middle well below Pangya and Hot Shots, but right near OK titles like Powerstar.

RoadDogg

I agree the green camera is pretty bad, but to rank it that low seems like overkil. I haven't played the PSP version of Pangya, but this seems like it will be much better than the Wii version. I would rank that pretty far near the bottom of my golf game list, well under Swingerz on the GC but above Lets Golf. This feels like it will fall close to TT for me (though probably not in course design) and maybe edge it out because of the online mode. The gameplay in 64 still wins though from the mario series. HSG still edges out the series as a whole but having this available on a handheld is ideal over the PS3 versions for me. I have gotten much better at putting after accepting at the greens don't roll as much as they appear to, but every few shots I will need to play around with the camera a bit to double check where the hole is. If this had mini-golf and a full RPG mode it would probably make my top 3 arcadey golf games easy.

Blackdog

Banned
I agree the green camera is pretty bad, but to rank it that low seems like overkil. I haven't played the PSP version of Pangya, but this seems like it will be much better than the Wii version. I would rank that pretty far near the bottom of my golf game list, well under Swingerz on the GC but above Lets Golf. This feels like it will fall close to TT for me (though probably not in course design) and maybe edge it out because of the online mode. The gameplay in 64 still wins though from the mario series. HSG still edges out the series as a whole but having this available on a handheld is ideal over the PS3 versions for me. I have gotten much better at putting after accepting at the greens don't roll as much as they appear to, but every few shots I will need to play around with the camera a bit to double check where the hole is. If this had mini-golf and a full RPG mode it would probably make my top 3 arcadey golf games easy.

I didn't rank it low. I ranked it somewhere in the middle way above Let's Golf. Powerstar golf is a pretty good game.

Salsa

I actually agree with the most common complaints.

Jagged graphics that would be better suited on a better resolution where you can see stuff more clearly. Not really ideal camera angles. Bad 3D. Annoyingly speaking characters..

I just like the rest of it enough, I guess. It's still good fun.

I think the review summaries mostly reflect this and agree with the players here, which is refreshing

RoadDogg

I didn't rank it low. I ranked it somewhere in the middle way above Let's Golf. Powerstar golf is a pretty good game.

Good to know Powerstar is decent. I just knew it had limited content and optional microtransactions so I didn't bother following it. That and I have no interest of getting a next gen system yet.

lupinko

Is the DLC season pass also out in Japan? I'll be getting it for my jp 3ds.

lupinko - ルパンコ - 5043 3233 7615

Kinsei

Banned
Is the DLC season pass also out in Japan? I'll be getting it for my jp 3ds.

lupinko - ルパンコ - 5043 3233 7615

Yeah, the season pass is also in Japan. If I'm understanding the site correctly, the season pass costs 1500 yen.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just tried the demo and agreed on a lot of complaints already listed. 3D effect was really disappointing, the UI and presentation seemed messy. The visuals looked poor, and I wasn't digging the physics much, particularly how sticky the ball felt. The camera also needed a lot of finagling when setting up proper shots from default.

Loved the GBC game and Toadstool Tour, but I dunno about this one. Might end up finally snagging HSG Vita instead.

schlew

I an stoked beyond belief for this game. As much as I hate to say it, it's already a game I'd consider a GOTY contender.

I drew this for my blog, but wanted to share it with those that may be as passionate as me (about the game, not Waluigi).

waluigigolf.jpg

I'd really like it if Waluigi put this doppelganger shit behind him, cleaned up, and took the Golf circuit by storm.

Drop the crotch chops, master the chip shot.

Blackdog

Banned
I actually agree with the most common complaints.

Jagged graphics that would be better suited on a better resolution where you can see stuff more clearly. Not really ideal camera angles. Bad 3D. Annoyingly speaking characters..

I just like the rest of it enough, I guess. It's still good fun.

I think the review summaries mostly reflect this and agree with the players here, which is refreshing

The reviews seem pretty accurate to me. Only piece missing from the puzzle is online play, which I guess we're now hearing is pretty great. I'm definitely picking this up digitally.

Good to know Powerstar is decent. I just knew it had limited content and optional microtransactions so I didn't bother following it. That and I have no interest of getting a next gen system yet.

Powerstar is quite good. It has 4 really nice courses and a fifth that's about to be added via DLC for free. It lacks a level of polish that Hot Shots on PS3 has, though, but it's definitely worth the 15 bucks I paid.

krae_man

Finally got around to trying the demo. The impact press for shots was giving me fits until I realized it was set to easy mode. Once I switched to manual it became easier :lol

The coin and ring stages were a pain in the ass. I have no feel for shot trajectories and how wind, height and slope effect things yet.

How do you put spin on the ball? Or was that just not in the demo?

Another thing I don't like is I'd rather L and R cycle through clubs instead of keeping the club the same and just moving the 'target shot percentage' or whatever. Why is that even an option? Just have percentages marked on the power gauge. I don't need a marker at 60% power if 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% are clearly marked. I'm going to want to use a shortest club possible 99.9% of the time.

Finally got around to trying the demo. The impact press for shots was giving me fits until I realized it was set to easy mode. Once I switched to manual it became easier :lol

The coin and ring stages were a pain in the ass. I have no feel for shot trajectories and how wind, height and slope effect things yet.

How do you put spin on the ball? Or was that just not in the demo?

AA - topspin
AB - super topspin
BB - backspin
BA - super backspin

One thing I'm not liking is that you have to use the analog slider while taking the shot to move where you want to hit the ball. I don't know why they didn't just do it like they did in Toadstool Tour where you do that before hand. It's a pain in the ass trying to mess with that stupid slider and pay attention to the power meter at the same time, especially because of the 3DS XL's less-than-perfect ergonomics.

Another thing I don't like is I'd rather L and R cycle through clubs instead of keeping the club the same and just moving the 'target shot percentage' or whatever. Why is that even an option? Just have percentages marked on the power gauge. I don't need a marker at 60% power if 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% are clearly marked. I'm going to want to use a shortest club possible 99.9% of the time.
Well, when aiming your left thumb is usually already in a position to just press up/down to change your club. That's already convenient, and having the marker is useful. Moving the marker changes the simulation line and this is very useful for both chip-ins and when trying to get extremely close to the pin. Also, longer clubs used at shorter distances can be very useful for avoiding obstacles. Being able to do that can also be handy in very windy conditions.
One thing I'm not liking is that you have to use the analog slider while taking the shot to move where you want to hit the ball. I don't know why they didn't just do it like they did in Toadstool Tour where you do that before hand. It's a pain in the ass trying to mess with that stupid slider and pay attention to the power meter at the same time, especially because of the 3DS XL's less-than-perfect ergonomics.
Pretty much why I stopped using the buttons to swing. I now sit my 3DS XL on the table when playing and use a stylus where I don't have to lift the tip from the screen. My movements are subtle as a result so it's both comfortable and accurate. I just put the tip where I want to hit the ball and then focus on my timing. I will admit that it took a while to stop accidentally pressing the screen though. I'll probably still use buttons on the go for obvious reasons.

Salsa

yup, hate to use the analog to choose where I wanna hit the ball too.

but I really like using buttons

it's my major gripe with the controls. I don't wanna use the stylus.

narton

If i use easy mode, doesn't selecting where I want to hit the ball up or down with the circle pad make backspin? Like I always thought hitting the bottom of the ball made back spin.

If I'm in manual mode, would I want to aim and do the aa, ab, stuff too?

Okay, I just learned. Changing trajectory does not necessarily mean putting top or backspin on a ball. I figured it out now and I"m loving manual. I actually just hit my first eagle chip in.

hort22

AA - topspin
AB - super topspin
BB - backspin
BA - super backspin

Just played some toadstool tour the other night and while you can move the spot on the ball pre shot to show you different trajectories...you still need to move the cursor during the swing to achieve the trajectory you are looking for...otherwise it just goes back to the middle of the ball.

Can you use the dpad in this game for the trajectories or is it the circle pad?

These last few posts echo my frustations and I'm seriously thinking about canceling my preorder tonight.

I should be able to first choose where on the ball to make contact and then swing, with the buttons if that is my preference.

Right now maximum ball control can only realistically be achieved with stylus play, but stylus taps are not as tactile as buttons.

Design fail.

hort22

These last few posts echo my frustations and I'm seriously thinking about canceling my preorder tonight.

I should be able to first choose where on the ball to make contact and then swing, with the buttons if that is my preference.

Right now maximum ball control can only realistically be achieved with stylus play, but stylus taps are not as tactile as buttons.

Design fail.

i think you move the cursor on the ball with the circle pad...or the stylus.

hort22

Read my post.

You should be able to swing with buttons after choosing your ball contact spot.

You cannot. This is a shit design.

my apologies...you would like it to be like the gamecube version then...its looking more and more like this version is a clone of the n64 game with a little bit of the gamecube version thrown in.

Darkgran

Sorry to re-post but..

Going to get this digitally but I have a question. Is there still an issue with save files being corrupted on digital games?

bender

What time is it?

Design fail.

I wish they would have copied HSG system. It's all done real time using a combination of the d-pad and power/impact button presses. It's a really simple design that lets you set fade/draw, back and topspin and shot height. Incorporating that into the accuracy meter also makes it more skillful.

I've been loving the demo, I had such a good time with the GC Mario Gold and this seems like a perfect successor to that. I have a few questions - can you adjust where on the golf ball your club contacts? In the GC version you could dial in a specific spot on the ball you wanted to hit (top to minimize air time, bottom for more air, less roll, side to side to curve it, that sort of thing) during your swing. I can't find a way to do that in this one, but it seems like it ought to be able to.

Thanks! Really excited for the release :)

my apologies...you would like it to be like the gamecube version then...its looking more and more like this version is a clone of the n64 game with a little bit of the gamecube version thrown in.

I would like it to have a good design.

Trying to fiddle with that hard-to-control circle pad while making your shot clicks is an exercise in frustration.

With the stylus, you can easily choose EXACTLY where you want to make contact with the ball, but the stylus doesn't have the tactile feedback that buttons have.

This has been done better before on many releases for many platforms. Camelot failed and I'm canceling my preorder before Amazon ships it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I've been loving the demo, I had such a good time with the GC Mario Gold and this seems like a perfect successor to that. I have a few questions - can you adjust where on the golf ball your club contacts? In the GC version you could dial in a specific spot on the ball you wanted to hit (top to minimize air time, bottom for more air, less roll, side to side to curve it, that sort of thing) during your swing. I can't find a way to do that in this one, but it seems like it ought to be able to.

Thanks! Really excited for the release :)

If you move the analog pad while the meter is sliding, it adjusts the impact point. You can also tap on the ball just where you want to hit on the touch screen. There is no way to get a preview like in the GC game though.

If you move the analog pad while the meter is sliding, it adjusts the impact point. You can also tap on the ball just where you want to hit on the touch screen.

That's the point. For maximum ball control (I don't care how coordinated you are, you aren't going to be as accurate with the circle slider) you have to use the stylus control, but then you are missing out on the maximum tactile feel that the buttons give you for swinging.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Sorry to re-post but..

Going to get this digitally but I have a question. Is there still an issue with save files being corrupted on digital games?

I don't have a definite answer, but I haven't heard of that being an issue in ages, so I don't think so?

Appleman

Played the demo a bunch and I'm really liking it. I don't really get the three-tap controls that are being talked about though... Once you press a to start the slider, and again to stop it, what is after that? Is that it on easy mode, but in manual there's the AA AB stuff?

Just don't really get it and the tutorial wasn't particularly helpful

Played the demo a bunch and I'm really liking it. I don't really get the three-tap controls that are being talked about though... Once you press a to start the slider, and again to stop it, what is after that? Is that it on easy mode, but in manual there's the AA AB stuff?

Switch to Manual. It's easier to get Nice Shots, and thus save your Power Shot, on Auto since you only need to time one button press perfectly as opposed to two, but that's its only advantage once you get good with Manual.

Vysetron

Neo Member

The second press on the slider can be A or B, and you can either stop there for no spin or hit A or B a third time to put spin on the ball. AA is topspin, AB is super topspin, BB is backspin, and BA is super backspin.

rekameohs

Banned
There better be a patch to keep the characters from repeating their voice clips every 5 seconds, because goddamn that is annoying. Other than that, I'm liking the demo

If not, it's me and Yoshi the entire time.
Yoshi, Bowser, and Paratroopa for me so far.

Too bad we'll have to play as our Miis during the Castle Club mode. The male Miis I've seen in the videos so far have an annoying voice so I'm seriously thinking about going with a female...

Salsa

the problem with the analog is subtlety

If you just yank the stick in the direction you want to hit the ball its not that hard to pay attention to 2 things at once, but if you wanna be subtle it's a mess

a somewhat reasonable counter argument would be to discuss how much that really affects a play or how much people really want to hit the bottom part of the ball but just 66 percent down not all the way, for example

Galactic Fork

That's the point. For maximum ball control (I don't care how coordinated you are, you aren't going to be as accurate with the circle slider) you have to use the stylus control, but then you are missing out on the maximum tactile feel that the buttons give you for swinging.

If you want to use the touch screen effectively use your thumb. Much better than the stylus. But I do best with the analog nub, actually. Mainly because I have to look where I'm pressing on the golfball and it distracts me from looking at the sliding line. I don't have to look where my left thumb is moving the slider.

Blackdog

Banned
It's kind of odd that they would make top spin and reverse spin so easy to achieve, but make slices and hooks so convoluted.

Galactic Fork

It's kind of odd that they would make top spin and reverse spin so easy to achieve, but make slices and hooks so convoluted.

Well it's two different things, though. Trajectory vs spin. You can also hit low on the ball for more arc, and higher on the ball for less arc. Lots of varying degrees and combinations vs top, super top, bottom and super bottom.

Salsa

I think that even tho it sucks it's definetly something I can "get used to" and at least a bit better at it

it just sucks that it has to be like that

Top Bottom