• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Keep a star and use it at the right time; I do that a lot, and it was a common technique on the Wii. And with the tanooki tail and the overabundance of stars in this game, nobody should put themselves in such a tight position on the track. The tracks are narrower, but they aren't minuscule.

C'mon, you know it's not that easy to get a star and then hold on to it until you really need it. You'll just be passing up shorcuts and item boxes and all of that could add up to nothing when someone mashing L gets a lightning strike and you drop the star. And yes, many of the tracks are too small to avoid items on.

SecretMoblin said:
I see good players running away with wins much more frequently in MK7, so I disagree with the idea that the game forces clustering more than MKWii did.

I have played a shitload of this game, and neither in worldwide races or communities have I seen anyone consistently get ahead and stay ahead of the pack over the course of several races. It happened WAY more in MK Wii, and good players only tended to lose on very short tracks where items dominated.

SecretMoblin said:
And there's a simple explanation for why top speed has reduced importance: coins. Why is it a bad thing that top speed is now affected more by your racing skills than a kart combination?

It's bad because you drop coins when you get hit. And since getting hit likely means you're at a dead stop, people who pass you will pick up your coins and any coins in font of you.

Not to mention what I said a bit earlier in this thread about item boxes not disappearing even though people driving through them still get items (confirmed on the touch screen). Having 4 fewer players on the track means nothing when 8 players all get items out of half as many item boxes. Even worse, I thought it was a lag issue at first but then I noticed the same doesn't happen with coins so it seems like it's an intended feature.

I still think it's a great game, and to Nintendo's credit, you can play in communities with fewer/no items, but then you're limiting yourself to a much smaller pool of opponents. They really missed an opportunity to balance the items, just as they have been doing with the series all along.

neogaf races anyone?

I'll hang out in the community room for a while now if anyone wants. I haven't done a community race in a few days.

Been trying out heavy character / good handling combos. It's tough to go back to slick wheels once you've experienced the wonder of tight turning. :-(

I got the game. So smooth, so beautiful. Even the 3D isn't headache-inducing. Oh and finally be able to accelerate with Y = excellent.
I've always bought MK as my first game on a Nintendo console, and this one is as excellent as the others :)

The community idea is great, can't wait to play with you guys.

Insaniac

I got the game. So smooth, so beautiful. Even the 3D isn't headache-inducing. Oh and finally be able to accelerate with Y = excellent.
I've always bought MK as my first game on a Nintendo console, and this one is as excellent as the others :)

The community idea is great, can't wait to play with you guys.

okay does ANYONE know what determines your Mii's voice? I can't stand my Mii's voice.

I individually changed shirt color, mouth type, height and weight and nothing resulted in a different voice.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
okay does ANYONE know what determines your Mii's voice? I can't stand my Mii's voice.

I individually changed shirt color, mouth type, height and weight and nothing resulted in a different voice.
I'm pretty sure we can't change the voices. We're all stuck with the Yoshi voice. It's the only reason I haven't used my awesome Gendo Ikari mii online.

KarmaCow

Sorry about just dropping into that race I was trying to add the NeoGAF community but couldn't figure out how to get out of the room outside of just quitting the entire game.

Dr Prob

Banned
Whoever was playing as the bee thing in those races: Feel it. Feel the wrath. You know what I'm talking about!

Good games everyone.

totowhoa

Banned
Lockerz.com

They're doing a sale right now where every game is half off. You just gotta earn 500 points on their site, which takes almost no effort

Wait, is this still going on? I don't know anything about Lockerz, but I didn't see anything about half off games anymore. Sorry, I'm not really familiar with this site.

Insaniac

Okay Mii voices ARE determined by shirt color. So far I have heard 3 different types of voices, corresponding with a light color (ie light green, light blue) medium color (regular blue/green) or a dark color (black/brown)

tinantlu

FIRST POST ALERT!

Synopsis: Lurked for a long time like I'm sure most posters here did
Was a late comer to PS3, my first game was MAG, and I lurked that topic the most, decided that I wanted to be part of a MAG clan with people that were actually good, so I applied for a membership
As we all know, it took forever, and by the time I was approved (YEAH!) MAG was pretty much dead, so I've been a member/lurker ever since

Anyway, after all of that useless info, I have a 3ds and Mario Kart 7, so I decided to add all of the communities

If you see me online, I'll be simply "Lucas"

Cynosure

I've noticed that the people that pick Maka Wuhu almost always plays as Metal Mario or Shy Guy.

They're also the type that choose to repeat a course

Okay Mii voices ARE determined by shirt color. So far I have heard 3 different types of voices, corresponding with a light color (ie light green, light blue) medium color (regular blue/green) or a dark color (black/brown)

Haha really? I'll have to try this. Thing is my Mii is light green but has a deep sounding voice. Are the females different too?

I've noticed that the people that pick Maka Wuhu almost always plays as Metal Mario or Shy Guy.

I know, and I hate Metal Mario enough already.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

It sucks because I usually play as Shy Guy and never glitch it. I get self-conscious that others may suspect me a cheater.

Koodo

Banned
The Gold Standard kart is very... eh. All the gold parts so far seem like they're just for vanity.

Let it be known that Rosalina's Ice World is my least favorite track in the game.

That is all.
And the worst thing about that thing is that it's the SMG course. Totally unworthy.

Hate for Rosalina's Ice World? I can agree with that. Best ice track is DD sherbet land.
Hate for Wario's shipyard and Kalimari Desert?! absolutely maddening!

I knew something was wrong with my track naming, I forgot the superior British name, every now and then the NoE renaming blitz gets some things right.

Woah! I didn't even know about that one! That makes up for Swapnote getting changed to Nintendo Letter Box for sure!

Too bad that the rest of their renaming escapades resulted in complete shit (LOL @ Boom Street, Kirby's Adventure Wii and 3D Space Tank)

LeleSocho

Banned
Hugely disappointed by the lack of the tunnel in kalimari desert, in the N64 version you could follow the rails and that was fun... anyone else noticed this?

SmithnCo

Hugely disappointed by the lack of the tunnel in kalimari desert, in the N64 version you could follow the rails and that was fun... anyone else noticed this?

lol, I loved the tunnel in the N64 version. For some reason me and a friend would drive around and place as many bananas as we could in the tunnel. We really must've been bored.

Gravijah

i noticed when i mistimed a boost and drove onto the tracks lol i was like oh well guess i'll check it out!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Didn't even try it.. but yeah, I really enjoyed trying driving around some of the Nintendo 64 levels like it was an adventure game. It's a shame they took this out. If they put some speed boost, and coins in the tunnel, it could have been cool.

Top Bottom