• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

It's been explained but
Rosalina is classified as a heavy character in Mario Kart because of her height (same with Waluigi though no one seems to be cracking wise at his expense)

Well he is out of this game, and we are cracking wise about that, Wahaha.....;__;

I just find it funny that he has a course, but is not actually in the game.
I'm betting he's either a very secret character or DLC planned for later.

DR2K

Banned
I'm kind of saddened that Toadette didn't make the cut. I always loved killing the bitch online. I'd go out of my way to make sure the person playing as Toadette would not win. Definitely more fun with a friend also ganging up on her.

Gintoki

I'm kind of saddened that Toadette didn't make the cut. I always loved killing the bitch online. I'd go out of my way to make sure the person playing as Toadette would not win. Definitely more fun with a friend also ganging up on her.

:lol what did the poor soul do to you?

My copy shipped yesterday, signed for 1st class - so hoping it will be here today. Shame the postie doesn't come round here till about 3pm!

Mario Kart + Ice White 3DS due on Friday for me!

Now, if only the software update had been released on time in order for me to transfer everything from my existing unit so that I could sell my existing 3DS immediately after receipt...

I've got my copy, anyone up for some impressions? I've already suffered my first "welcome to Mario Kart!" moment*

General thoughts:
- The CPU racers seem a fair bit craftier than before, they seem to notice the odd shortcut opportunity, put up a much better fight than the tepid ones of MKDS and more noticeably I had Bowser actually hunting me down with his superstar. I was playing on 100cc to start with, they got more potent on 150cc.
- Coins are nice as collecting one gives you a minor speed boost.
- The glider can be great fun in the more open air areas, I kept thinking I had to tilt to control the angle thanks to Skyward Sword's skydiving and bird flying...yes I know that they're completely different games on different consoles!
- Starting kart selection is kind of crap but you can put any character in any type of kart
- DK sounds like he's squeezing out a turd when he activates a superstar, maybe one day they'll get his voice right again.
- Tanooki tail is a mixed bag, it wears off over time as opposed to usage meaning you may miss out on other item opportunities and it is very situational to use, I want to love it as a means of melee attacking my opponents but so far no dice.
- Fire Flower is fear inducing, it doesn't stun you much at all, more like a banana peel effect but the rate of fire makes it something to watch out for.

Mushroom Cup:
Toad circuit: Basic stuff as expected, it's cut from the same cloth as figure 8 circuit and numerous other starting tracks, but the confetti is nice.

Daisy Hills: Nice looking track visually, many areas to cut corners if you have boosts available. Goats fill the role of the track obstructing cows from the previous games moo moo meadows.

Cheep Cheep Lagoon/Cape: Very basic this one, perhaps too basic for my liking. A mostly wide track with a big underwater section. Maybe it will grow on me but this track feels like a bit of a dud right now.

Shyguy Bazaar: Much better than I expected it to be, the opening area goes through the bazaar itself which is wide but littered with stands and a few alt routes. A gliding section has you edging between Shyguy's on magic carpets which is by default awesome because they are Shyguy's on magic carpets (sorry Pidgit, your time is up)

Flower Cup
Wuhu loop: I like this one a lot, single lap track divided into three sections. There are plenty of shortcuts I spotted in this one, also a bit of traffic to watch out for which is always fun.

Mario Circuit: As you may imagine it's pretty standard fare, as per standard Mario Circuit it's pretty fun but nothing exceptional. I will say that it kicks the crap out of the Wii Mario circuit which I always thought was very uninspired and boring.

Melody Motorway/Music Park: So good, driving across piano keys and creating a melody is gleeful, the whole look of the level is great and I particularly like the section with ginat musical notes that bounce around and shake the track slightly as timing a hop when they impact gives you a small boost, you get into a little rhythm for that section.

Alpine pass/Rock Rock Mountain: Also pretty good, plenty of glider opportunities here and it really stands out due to that. The final section has a steep incline with boost pads and falling boulders, very solid stuff on show here.

And also I quickly ventured into the shell cup on 150cc in an attempt to unlock a certain character but got thwarted in the final race losing by one point, grumble.

Shell Cup
Luigi Raceway: Yep, it's a starter track all right, the balloon is still here and it retains the cartoon artstyle for the Luigi face on it which tickles me somewhat.

Bowser Castle 1: Only 2 item spots, lots of thwomps and not much else to say. Why they chose this track to rep Super Circuit baffles me, weren't 2 and 3 in the last 2 games anyway? what a waste but at least you get a nice sense of speed from the multiple jump section. After BC3 in the wii version this feels like a massive step back. Now how about Sunset Wilds, Ribbon Road or Cheese Land next time?

Mushroom Gorge: Urgh, my most hated online track from the wii game returns though with less all powerful items and less racers you have more chance of making it through the last area without being thwarted. Feels very much the same and the glider section is placed to close to the end of the shroom bouncing cave for my liking.

Luigi's Mansion: I'll probably always consider this the biggest missed opportunity in MK track history, it's a bit better now with what little areas of the mansion you drive in looking much nicer but it's still very much "Luigi's tree filled swamp" as opposed to Luigi's Mansion.
Not a fan of these choices to tell the truth, it's one of my least favourite retro cups

*= When you get screwed over in the final race of a GP and lose the cup due to it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Great article from Wired news
I’m still just getting started with Mario Kart 7 really, but I had such a strong reaction to the game I wanted to share my first impressions.

Like many I imagine, I’m a long term Mario Kart fan who has been a little frustrated with the Gamecube and Wii outings. But playing Mario Kart 7 ($39.99 at Amazon) has actually put to bed many of my complaints, not only of this new portable version, but of the previous versions as well.
this is the Mario Kart that you know and love. For other games this could be a negative, but as soon as I started up Mario Kart 7 it was like putting on an old jumper — warm and familiar.

It’s the ease with which Mario Kart achieves all this that is the real genius here. The finely balanced driving that incorporates Mario Kart Wii’s more drifting style, perhaps a nod to the inclusion of tilt control, doesn’t overpower the hardcore racing at Mario Kart 7’s heart. The novelty of flight and underwater sections, that match the character swapping antics of the Gamecube, add a layer of tactics rather than over complicate Mario Kart’s simplicity. But the biggest testament is that all these new ideas can almost go unnoticed, so well have they been fitted into the Mario Kart architecture.
The icing on the cake for me, and those familiar with N64 and SNES versions of Mario Kart is a return to the shortcuts that made those games such obsessive experiences — and divided fans when they were downplayed in later outings. Being able to glide opens up all sorts of possibilities for accessing new areas of the course or cutting a few corners.

In terms of how it feels, the moments you take to the air are the biggest departure from what’s gone before. Hitting a ramp for the first time and seeing your wings sprout from your Kart is a spine tingling moment. Whether in the first person view (where you can control things by tilting) or in more traditional third person (where you can’t use tilt controls) there is a sense of momentum that matches the physicality of Pilotwings Resort’s various airborne vehicles.
The biggest criticism though is one I’m happy to forgive. Many will be suggesting that Mario Kart 7 is a missed opportunity to take the series forward or reinvent what a Mario Kart game is. But for me the familiarity and conservative approach to innovation has made this exactly what I was hoping for: a classic Mario Kart for the 3DS.
This is all wrapped up in some proper racing that finally does away with the rubber-banding antics of recent Mario Kart’s that, being overly keen to help new comers, would catch up slow-coaches much too readily. While I didn’t mind this when playing with my kids, it always annoyed me when the computer controlled characters suddenly appeared in my rear view minor.

Playing Mario Kart 7 made me want to go back and revisit the Wii and Gamecube versions in a way that Mario Kart DS never did.

People who liked Mario Kart all seem to love this one :)

WTF? I've never got a game from them before Thursday.

I've had some games from them arrive on Tuesday before, Ace Attorney Investigations, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 made that early arrival.
Typically games from them arrive on a Wednesday or Thursday for me.

Just got the game :D

Although it says 'Completely in Dutch!' on the box, my 3DS is set to English and the game is completely in English as well, so you don't have to worry about having it to play in your local language ;)

Anyone got impressions on the N64-style Blue Shell? The only blue shell I ever liked!

Can you hold it behind you like in the 64 version?

LiToKi

Neo Member

Although it says 'Completely in Dutch!' on the box, my 3DS is set to English and the game is completely in English as well, so you don't have to worry about having it to play in your local language ;)
Thank goodness!

Where did you get your copy from?

ToD_

The Dutch are probably one of the few who get upset if they have to play a game in their own language.

I would be.

y2dvd

I'm actually excited to be a new 3DS owner because of this game. Why does Nintendo want to wait until 12/4 to take my money? :(

I like how when you play online you get to play with people from all over the world, and not just the region you're from. Just played with 3 Japanese guys, a guy from Spain, one from France and someone from the UK.

And can anyone tell me what the timing is for the boost at the start? Pressing A just as the lights go green doesn't seem to work.

dwu8991

Banned
I like how when you play online you get to play with people from all over the world, and not just the region you're from. Just played with 3 Japanese guys, a guy from Spain, one from France and someone from the UK.

And can anyone tell me what the timing is for the boost at the start? Pressing A just as the lights go green doesn't seem to work.

How long does it take to get online, any lag issues?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

If its anything like MKWii, you gotta press A when 2 starts to fade.

Also worldwide online for Mario Kart was also in the Wii game. :p Although i get more american players than anything else in there. With 12 players, i might get 7 americans, 1 japanese, 3 europeans and me being the only canadian.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
No emblems here.

You have to make a different room for each rule set, unfortunately.

Ah, okay. It would have been nice especially with communities. Guess they were worried about penises again or just chose against bringing them over like a lot of other Mario Kart elements.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I assume by the North American launch, with everyone trying to log on, the servers will crap themselves a time, or two.. but will probably steady out and see better performance a week, or two after. We'll see!

i think personally one of the reasons why i (and by projection, other people) don't mind that this Mario Kart isn't really trying to do much stuff that's new, is that it seems like the first Mario Kart to get online RIGHT. sure, that's not a new feature but i don't think you can understate the value of online Mario Kart finally done right.

and i say that as someone who has been playing Mario Kart online since Double Dash. i jumped through a lot of hoops to play Double Dash online because i wanted to play the game online so badly. i jumped through a lot of hoops to play Mario Kart DS online (literally HOURS spent entering friend codes, man that was such a fucking pain) and unfortunately snaking turned it into a game i didn't like that much. when Mario Kart Wii came out, i just couldn't be arsed to go through all that again.

this time, it's going to be so much easier to get online. it's Mario Kart online. finally done *right* by the sounds of it. it's the second built from the ground up 3D game from Nintendo and it sounds like the 3D is as good as it is in 3D Land.

I assume by the North American launch, with everyone trying to log on, the servers will crap themselves a time, or two.. but will probably steady out and see better performance a week, or two after. We'll see!

i'm not expecting my copy until midweek. any bumps that do happen should hopefully be smoothed out by then.

y2dvd

So again I'm new to the 3DS and haven't had the chance to mess with it much. Does this Street Pass allow you to find another 3DS owner nearby and challenge them to a game if they are playing the same thing?

There was the code for a GAF community lobby in here but I can't find it anymore and it wasn't added to the OP. Can someone give me the code, I wanna do some online now!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So again I'm new to the 3DS and haven't had the chance to mess with it much. Does this Street Pass allow you to find another 3DS owner nearby and challenge them to a game if they are playing the same thing?

No. Street Pass is trading information with someone as you pass by. You'll swap Miis, allowing you to play the little build-in titles like Puzzle Swap and Find Mii. Any additional titles you have StreetPass activated for will be shared as well, so long as they have the title. ie; Super Mario 3D Land shares Record Times and power-ups. Street Fighters allows you to fight your figure collections. Pokemon Rumble Blast gives you the chance to win money. Mario Kart 7 will allow you to trade Ghost data to race against.

I wonder if you unlock Waluigi in Mirror Mode. Actually do you unlock anything in Mirror Mode? Seems kinda dumb if you don't. Have we figured out the super secret yet that was kept under wraps by that one website?

Top Bottom