• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

WHAT THE HELL! I got hit by my own lightning!!!

What treachery is this???
...XD

EDIT: "Hax" isn't what makes people rage. Blue shells aren't what make people rage. Red shells and lightning hitting yourself isn't what makes people rage.

Internet that isn't working perfectly is what makes people rage.

I do too.

And community spectating please, damn it!

Done for now because this router's pissing me off, though.
Well MKWii had that so I think it's a lock with MKTV.

I hate how it screws up the scoring though, it's really hard to recover if you lose the races prior to the drop outs (like I always do).

Edit: The lobby's open btw.

Popped in Mario Kart 7 since I hadn't played it in a while because I was feeling hyped for MK8. Then I realized why I hadn't played this game in a while, lol. I don't know why, but MK7 is one of my least favorite Mario Karts for some reason. I just don't have a lot of fun while playing - it's so frustrating at times. I could probably use some advice - what are the best stats to have for racing (against the AI)? What are some good karts/tires/gliders? I've been trying to get triple stars on 150CC for a long time, and I don't quite understand what gives you 3 stars. I've gotten first in every race before (pretty sure I did anyways), but I still only got 2 stars... is it based on time? I think part of my dislike for MK7 is actually because my hands start to hurt after playing for just a little bit. It's probably the 3DS XL's fault more so than the game, but holding down A can get tiring, lol.

A few tips:

1) Press Y to accelerate instead of A. It's more comfortable for most people. I promise.

2) I recommend Peach, Yoshi, or Daisy in the Bumble-V with Wood Wheels and a +acceleration glider. You want at least 4.75 bars of acceleration when starting out because you're going to get hit by stuff. Also, the AI slows down when they're in front of you due to rubberbanding so your speed doesn't matter too much.

3) To get 3 stars you need to get 1st every time. If you got 2 stars while getting 1st every time then you probably made a crapload of mistakes.

4) Whenever you get a mushroom while in 1st, hold onto it so you can use it to dodge a blue shell.

I can consistently get 3 stars in GPs. It really just requires practice and knowing what you're doing.

A few tips:

1) Press Y to accelerate instead of A. It's more comfortable for most people. I promise.

2) I recommend Peach, Yoshi, or Daisy in the Bumble-V with Wood Wheels and a +acceleration glider. You want at least 4.75 bars of acceleration when starting out because you're going to get hit by stuff. Also, the AI slows down when they're in front of you due to rubberbanding so your speed doesn't matter too much.

3) To get 3 stars you need to get 1st every time. If you got 2 stars while getting 1st every time then you probably made a crapload of mistakes.

4) Whenever you get a mushroom while in 1st, hold onto it so you can use it to dodge a blue shell.

I can consistently get 3 stars in GPs. It really just requires practice and knowing what you're doing.

Thanks a lot for the tips! I will definitely try using Y to accelerate. Using A feels just so uncomfortable. I was prioritizing speed more so than acceleration so that was probably part of my issue. Thanks again. Gonna give these a try!

Azuran

Banned
What days do you guys usually get together and play? I decided to start playing this game again so it would be nice playing with GAF again.

Tabasco

If only. I played some Mirror cups over and over and over, but no matter what I do I always get two stars.
Based on my experience, to get 3 stars instead of 2, you have to stay in 1st place longer, try not to collide your kart into any items/walls, and don't fall off the track.

Based on my experience, to get 3 stars instead of 2, you have to stay in 1st place longer, try not to collide your kart into any items/walls, and don't fall off the track.

Those are such weird conditions required to get 3 stars compared to previous MK games, lol. At least from what I remember.

phanphare

Banned
hey! so I've been playing a lot more Mario Kart 7 in anticipation for Mario Kart 8. when do you guys normally play? I'd love to get in on some online races.

Jucksalbe

Banned

I really wish the MK games would be more transparent about how those stars are calculated.

If you race well and get 1st in every single race in the GP then you should get 3 stars. That has always been how it worked for me. I've never had a GP where I got 1st every single race and didn't get 3 stars, actually...
What days do you guys usually get together and play? I decided to start playing this game again so it would be nice playing with GAF again.
hey! so I've been playing a lot more Mario Kart 7 in anticipation for Mario Kart 8. when do you guys normally play? I'd love to get in on some online races.
Thursdays at 9 PM EDT.

Jucksalbe

Banned
If you race well and get 1st in every single race in the GP then you should get 3 stars. That has always been how it worked for me. I've never had a GP where I got 1st every single race and didn't get 3 stars, actually...

That's definitely not my experience. Especially for Mirror cups.

DaBoss

I remember making a ton of mistakes in one of the races and still got 3 stars. MK7 is lenient on getting 3 stars.

Hopefully they never bring back the all-star tour thing where you have to race in every cup one after another.

I remember making a ton of mistakes in one of the races and still got 3 stars. MK7 is lenient on getting 3 stars.

Hopefully they never bring back the all-star tour thing where you have to race in every cup one after another.

Lies! The game is cheating, I say! Cheating! ;)

fucking blue shells, rawr!

Gattuso

For me it always felt like I had to stay in first almost all the time during each race to get 3 stars.

There's no other days/times you guys are able to play? I really want to be able to race against you guys again.

A few tips:

After about 40 mins of playtime, I can say that using Y to accelerate feels much better than A. It still doesn't feel "good", though. There's something odd about the 3DS XL's buttons that make your fingers hurt when holding down the button for so long (that doesn't happen on other systems/controllers). Not sure how to explain it. For most 3DS games, it isn't a problem since you rarely hold down one button the entire time.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of those things you recommended unlocked yet (like the kart or wood wheels), but I did try an acceleration build, and it seemed to work much better than my speed one, so thanks!

MK7 is definitely the easiest game in the series to get the three stars. I can barely get 1 star in MKDS cups and got my three stars in MK7 with a little effort.

Is anyone interested in giving Saturday afternoon races another try in addition to playing tonight? Things seemed to start off great last Saturday but dropped off pretty quickly.

Does anyone know of a good Nintendo Wifi troubleshooting/tutorial? Seems like this game is pretty demanding in terms of bandwidth so it would help to make sure all of my settings are correct.

Yes, let's do another Saturday. That was enjoyable, really.
We should also figure out a way to do organized GAF play in WW. It has the endless and spectator modes that are sorely missing from the community. I'm still trying my best to understand why Nintendo did that unless it was just so they could add it to MK8 and act is if they'd done something new :/
Best way to do it is to have people interested add a few of the most active players here. Those are the ones most likely to be playing.
We used to do it a lot back when the game launched but it was really easy then since pretty much everyone in my friend list was playing it :)

Tabasco

So for participators do we just wait in the community lobby at the designated time?

Which community lobby is the most common? I'm assuming 150cc all items but I just want to make sure.

150CC, all items

You can either wait in the lobby or F5 here until somebody says they made a room. I would recommend waiting here until Greg or I posts here saying we made a room due to the timer. If two of you show up early then the timer will start counting down prematurely, which can be annoying.

So just hover your ingame cursor over Community near the appointed time and just refresh this page every minute or so.

Top Bottom