• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

SmokyDave

The 3DS isn't a pushover by any means. Sure it's underpowered in comparison to smartphones and vita but it has some nice guts nonetheless.

It's one of those things, I knew that, but after playing some of the launch titles (especially Ridge Racer) I really needed to see a game that proved it. MK7 is that game. It looks great :)

kitch9

Banned
it's like poker mate. Even the best players who play perfectly get f'd in the a by someone with no brains. The trick is to consistently perform awesome and your wins will outpace your losses.

I guess, but there's plenty of ways for those behind to bend you over, without the need of a just automatically fuck the guy in the lead button.

Mistle

I wish there was a way to see active groups. It seems i'm always in small groups of 2-3 (which is still fun! :D) when there are bigger races going on at the same time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wish there was a way to see active groups. It seems i'm always in small groups of 2-3 (which is still fun! :D) when there are bigger races going on at the same time.

I wish I could just race without being hit by a communication error.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I guess, but there's plenty of ways for those behind to bend you over, without the need of a just automatically fuck the guy in the lead button.

yeah, I understand the frustration. I just think skill will always push you up the pile. Blue shell sucks hardcore though.

So does red shell followed by a gang bang of green shells, banananas and invincible guys that go by on the last corner leaving you in 8th.

Agreed that when you hear the blue shell noise it sucks. Best you can do is stop dead and try to fuck second place with it as well.

Not really. Everything else can be countered. Imagine how easy it would be to just stay in front of the mid pack clusterfuck without the odd blue shell. You wouldn't even need to drive well, everyone else behind you would be getting hit with multiple items and you'd only have the occasional red shell from the guy in second to block. Get a lead on the first lap and you'd be untouchable. Blue shells do screw over the leader but bullet bills and stars also screw over the people mid pack.

kiryogi

Banned
I want to join in . . But watching anime and playing offline for now. I did enter both codes for the normal 150cc and bob-ombs only tho.

I wish I could just race without being hit by a communication error.

I live in an old terraced house and although my phone's wifi copes alright, my 3DS seems to drop out of signal when I'm up in my bedroom because of all the old walls. When I'm in my bedroom I actually use the Portable Hotspot feature on my HTC Desire S in preference over my in-house Wifi because it performs better and there are no comms drop-outs.

If your router has DMZ or something similar have you tried making your 3DS static IP and adding it to that? Or port-forwarding port 65535?

SmokyDave said:
It's one of those things, I knew that, but after playing some of the launch titles (especially Ridge Racer) I really needed to see a game that proved it. MK7 is that game. It looks great :)

I like the main NeoGAF communities, but shall we also start a UK GAF community? If there isn't one already that is..

Are the guys on 400+ points just playing non-stop by the way? I couldn't do that, my fingers cramp up after like half an hour. I'll probably use that Circle Pad Pro thing for every game, even the ones that don't support it!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I want to join in . . But watching anime and playing offline for now. I did enter both codes for the normal 150cc and bob-ombs only tho.

Has anyone actually played in this community group yet?

I live in an old terraced house and although my phone's wifi copes alright, my 3DS seems to drop out of signal when I'm up in my bedroom because of all the old walls. When I'm in my bedroom I actually use the Portable Hotspot feature on my HTC Desire S in preference over my in-house Wifi because it performs better and there are no comms drop-outs.

If your router has DMZ or something similar have you tried making your 3DS static IP and adding it to that? Or port-forwarding port 65535?
I'll give that a go when I get back home. Thanks.

kitch9

Banned
Not really. Everything else can be countered. Imagine how easy it would be to just stay in front of the mid pack clusterfuck without the odd blue shell. You wouldn't even need to drive well, everyone else behind you would be getting hit with multiple items and you'd only have the occasional red shell from the guy in second to block. Get a lead on the first lap and you'd be untouchable. Blue shells do screw over the leader but bullet bills and stars also screw over the people mid pack.

I'd rather they got rid of the Blue shell and just increased the chances of those mid pack getting a bullet bill.

Its only easy (ish.) to counter something if you have something to counter it with, and everybody who watches the bottom screen will know if that is the case.... The guy in front will be tempted to drop his shitty banana at some point in hope of getting something better, at that point FHUTA with your red shell.

It should be the job of the guy in second or third to take the leader, not the shit pleb in 8th.

SmokyDave

I like the main NeoGAF communities, but shall we also start a UK GAF community? If there isn't one already that is..

Yeah, that might not be a bad idea, what with our obscure masonic rituals and that.

yes, not because of some obscure masonic rituals but because we have different timezones and I'd love to play with Gaffers when the US guys aren't available
Oh, yeah, the timezone thing. That's a good excuse.

Now I need to figure out how 'communities' work.

Edit: My Mii is called SmokyDave so I shouldn't be too hard to find.

shut up Secretary David...err I mean SmokyDave

so my sister just came to work to tell me one of my fucking colleagues is sick at home with flu or some fucking bullshit story because it's obvious he's completely drunk because of yesterdays' Everton-Stoke, she flies off, I turn my head around and the fucking bitch snatched my 3DS

FUCK YOU

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'd rather they got rid of the Blue shell and just increased the chances of those mid pack getting a bullet bill.

Its only easy (ish.) to counter something if you have something to counter it with, and everybody who watches the bottom screen will know if that is the case.... The guy in front will be tempted to drop his shitty banana at some point in hope of getting something better, at that point FHUTA with your red shell.

It should be the job of the guy in second or third to take the leader, not the shit pleb in 8th.
Good players like Dealwithit seem to not care too much about blue shell, they just win no matter what :)

SmokyDave

Ah dude, this is MarioKart. It's the same thing as Mario Party, being in the lead just makes you a humongous target for deeply unfair power-ups. It's the nature of the beast. It does mean that you can feel like a hero if you shrug off the blue shell and stay in first place.

At least it's not like the SNES days when the game was maliciously unfair.

kitch9

Banned
Good players like Dealwithit seem to not care too much about blue shell, they just win no matter what :)

Thats the thing, I'm not a good player, I have to fight for every place usually so when I've finally got my ass to the front after duking it out with other more experienced peeps I'd rather not have the twat in last press the get fucked 1st place button.

With every game there will always be the freaks of nature who are unbeatable, but for those of us that don't play the same game 23 hours a day every day shit like this is just annoying.

Rezbit

Damn I suck lol. Whenever I look like I'm in a good position I either get item screwed, or choke and drive off an edge :lol

But the guys in second and third are having to deal with item spam from everyone behind them. And you shouldn't be dropping your banana in first unless you're about to hit an item box. Choosing to leave yourself with no defenses is all on you.

I just find it weird that people act like blue shell is the only way to get screwed. How about having three red shells fired at you at once? How about being in third, getting hit by a red shell then getting hit by someone with a star and then finally getting knocked off the side of the track by someone with a bullet bill before you can even recover? Is any of that fair? Happened to me a couple of times last night and I found it way more annoying than a single blue shell. It's Mario Kart, shit happens.

I wouldn't split too much, PAL still show up on the main community you know?

I think it'd be good for the sort of timezone dead-zone Europe has while North America works and Japan sleeps...

if we assume that most people work during the week and that therefore people in each region would probably be playing / peaking between 4pm and 11pm in their respective timezones, between 17:00 and 20:00 GMT would be the best time for a Brit/Euro-GAF community (or put another way... that would be the best time to come online if you want to play Euro-GAF).

It is unlikely that Europe is going to get many games with North Americans between:
  • 12:00 GMT (4am West Coast, 7am East Coast) and
  • 21:00 GMT (1pm West Coast, 4pm East Coast)

It is unlikely that Europe is going to get many games with J-GAF between:
  • 16:00 GMT (01:00am Tokyo) and
  • 04:00 GMT (01:00pm Tokyo)

*timezone calculations may be a bit off, not account for funny local adjustments

Obviously, gamers are insomniacs so all of this may be null and void.

Do you need a mushroom to dodge the blue shell or can it be done (albeit in a difficult way) with a powerslide boost like in Mario Kart DS?

I've had a couple of games online where I've dropped off the track intentionally when I hear the blue shell siren because the recovery time is faster from a fall - if you time your acceleration when Lakitu drops you, you get a boost and get right back up to speed (sans 2 coins obviously).

I LOVE catching other people in the blue shell blast wave btw.

Anyone else think that the fireball is the most dangerous new item btw? Much easier to hit opponents behind you (just aim up on the touch screen and fire, or spray them everywhere with slight turns), ricochets take other people out... if you target one person with all your fireballs, its mega-harsh!

Mistle

It sucks for Aussies trying to find a packed community. My main play hours are anywhere from dinner until sleep. Which, in the US i believe, is from sleep to wake ._. lol

But its also good in a way as i usually end up racing fellow aussies.

GC|Simon

I just read the Iwata Asks episode about MK7. At the beginning, I was shocked that the EAD staff didn't know Retro. I thought: "What the hell? They made four games which all belong to the best ones Nintendo ever released. How is it possible that EAD doesn't know them?!". But the collaboration worked quite well according to the interview. Even if Nintendo still seems to treat Retro like some external developer.... Retro's reputation is rising. They made some excellent games in collaboration with SPD and now they worked together with EAD. They are getting more and more famous at Ninendo Japan and this will most likely pay-off in future.

Rezbit

Just rage-quitted in a WW match. Don't usually do this in games but this got to me. Kalimari Desert, first place and smashing it at the start of the last lap then get hit in succession with: blue shell, red shell, red shell, green shell, star and bumped after it, pushing me off the track. End result - 8th. SMH.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So tracks that haven't been ported from pre DS games yet are:

SNES:
Ghost Valley 1
Bowser Castle 1
Choco Island 1
Donut Plains 2
Bowser Castle 2
Koopa Beach 1
Vanilla Lake 1
Bowser Castle 3
Mario Circuit 4
Donut Plains 3
Ghost Valley 3
Vanilla Lake 2

N64:
Toad's Turnpike
Wario Stadium
Royal Raceway
Yoshi Valley
Rainbow Road

GBA:
Riverside Park
Mario Circuit
Boo Lake
Cheese Land
Cheep-Cheep Island
Sunset Wilds
Snow Land
Ribbon Road
Yoshi Desert
Lakeside Park
Broken Pier
Bowser Castle 4
Rainbow Road

GCN:
Dry Dry Desert
Sherbet Land
Mushroom City
Wario Colosseum
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

Well looks like we're going to end up with a load of GBA and SNES tracks in MK8. Surprised only one GBA course got in this time round.

Wow, people weren't kidding when they said their Mii Plaza filled up after playing a little while. Just checked it this morning and it looks like everyone from the GAF community is in there, plus a bunch of randoms from worldwide matches. At least it's less lonely in there now since I never ever get Street Passes where I live.

Top Bottom