• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

jdstorm

Banned
The item balance is so bad in this game. I think I could drop my controller down a flight of stairs during the race and have an equal chance of winning.

Its actually improved on Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) you can actually get green shells and bananas when in first. In MK8 you got coins 90% of the time.

Edit: All WRs will be heavies because they have a higher top speed. They are slower to accelerate, but on a WR run you wont screw up your line and need to change speeds much.

Its actually improved on Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) you can actually get green shells and bananas when in first. In MK8 you got coins 90% of the time.

Sometimes you can even grab a double chest and get 2 bananas, sometimes even a bomb...

Plus there is the ghost item now, so now you can get lucky and someone actually "steals" your "precious" coins :D

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Don't look to WRs for good builds. The presence of items completely changes what you want to prioritise. It's all about acceleration.

Exentryk

Yeah, WRs optimise builds for one track. You have to think about all tracks, and what feels good for YOU to drive (taking corners easily etc). If you play in good lobbies, you can make your setup efficient while in competitive races.

Lynd7

Ah. Cheers.

Does this happen for the duration of the race for you, and does it take ~twice as long to finish? This is my main frustration right now, but it's happening so much lately I wonder if it's due to something I'm doing. Only seen it online though.

That sucks. Have you tried a hard reset (hold power button for ~10 sec)? There's also an option in settings somewhere to verify files, in case the patch files are corrupt.

Hm not sure. I just know it was happening in single player as well, I think there's some bug. But can't be certain till we know more I guess.

jokkir

These green shell snipes in 200cc is some goddamn bullshit. What the hell. I get hit like 5 times in a race from a green shell during a turn at the side from a cpu that just threw it. Fuck that noise.

Blarg

Neo Member

Edit: All WRs will be heavies because they have a higher top speed. They are slower to accelerate, but on a WR run you wont screw up your line and need to change speeds much.

I agree, and I think being in 1st is actually the safest place to be. But as soon as you fall behind you just get destroyed by all the items flying around. Most races I'm in have one guy in 1st out ahead while the rest of the pack is a huge clusterfuck. Unless you can jump out to a decent lead early, good luck.

I still feel like you get coins half the time in first place, but only if you get one item.

As far as I can tell, you can never have two coins at once, so that greatly diminishes the number of coins you get. In fact, I try to keep my coins 1) as a buffer for ghosts to steal so they don't steal my main item, and 2) to prevent getting another coin.

I finally caved and bought this game after a student brought his copy to my finals class. Spent plenty of time last night going through 100CC with the wife, and now I'm soloing the harder CCs to grind for coins.

NimbusD

What's the best way to set up an in person tournament of more than 8 people?

I'm thinking like, if there's 9 people, 3 six person rounds of 4 matches. Rotate out 3 people out each time so everyone gets two rounds. Add up the top six scorers and have a final match?

Does that sound right? Might have more people so I'd just scale, but I don't get sports so setting this up is new to me lol

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
before i start ranting can people explain a few things for me?

1. why when I play online it's always picking from the same pool of like 15 courses
2. why do some people look like there is no delay between them getting hit/laiku'd and starting immediately again?
3. is there a reason the match-making pairs people up with all skill levels?
4. how do you get more height with the glider? Also can you just drop to ground on demand?

i think thats all for now...

thanks

backlot

before i start ranting can people explain a few things for me?

1. why when I play online it's always picking from the same pool of like 15 courses
2. why do some people look like there is no delay between them getting hit/laiku'd and starting immediately again?
3. is there a reason the match-making pairs people up with all skill levels?
4. how do you get more height with the glider? Also can you just drop to ground on demand?

i think thats all for now...

thanks

1. Confirmation bias
2. Lag
3. People joining friends with different ranks perhaps?
4. Up and down on the stick can change your height while gliding. You can't really gain height or drop instantly but it'll change how long you're able to stay in the air.

Menitta

Bought this last night on a whim. What a great game to just have on a Switch. Great for casually playing with someone.

I'm now maining Inkling Girl.

ikuze

The bad thing about online is, that if you shoot people with stuff, they always play the animation like they got hit, even when they had protection. This is really misleading and Nintendo should fix that.

Roo

People online seriously have no clue how to play Shine theif
To some extent I agree. On the other hand, the thought of 11 people targeting a single person always makes me laugh for some reason.

You may not like it but getting hit by the item spam, even if you don't have the Shine is a valid strategy. Gives the rest a higher chance with it.

TheMoon

The bad thing about online is, that if you shoot people with stuff, they always play the animation like they got hit, even when they had protection. This is really misleading and Nintendo should fix that.

They don't. It's just lag.

woodland

Quick question: I just got MK8 deluxe the other day and have been playing and loving the new maps/characters/battle modes. However, I feel like there's a lot more invisible walls on the edges of the map, where I can try to steer off a cliff and get blocked and led along the track. I had this on Wii U and don't remember it being like this. Am I mis-remembering or does the game have a lot more new-player-friendly edges now?

Sapiens

Quick question: I just got MK8 deluxe the other day and have been playing and loving the new maps/characters/battle modes. However, I feel like there's a lot more invisible walls on the edges of the map, where I can try to steer off a cliff and get blocked and led along the track. I had this on Wii U and don't remember it being like this. Am I mis-remembering or does the game have a lot more new-player-friendly edges now?

I could have sworn I felt one on the dragon track a few nights ago. I had fallen off the edge at that point on wii u but on switch I struck a wall.

You need to disable Smart Steering.

Press Start while in the race and you should see the option to turn it off.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

I think ive seen this happen to me too as well.. like ill have 3 shells around me and still get ht by a shell

Theres a lot of things im struggling to love about this game, but im still new to it so im willing to let it go till im more experienced and understand everything. I fee like theres been a lot of small tweaks to the formula and some work and some im left scratchig my head

Firebrand

Man, this game can get real wonky when someone's lagging. :D Just had everyone race a fourth lap after the finish line, then it was cut off with "You were too far behind." Don't see many people teleporting around though which is what matters most, that was annoying in MKDS. I occasionally get hit by invisible things but I just assume someone touched me with their banana (giggity) or something on their screen.

Game needs a patch already though!

Immediately drift the other direction :p

Instructions unclear, HI-IM-DAISY'D into a ravine. (Yeah, slowly getting better at it, had some good games last night. Definitely like that MotoGP feel :).

Yeah it's annoying, but once you expect it, hey, free coins. This didn't happen in MK7 btw even when playing against people on the other side of the world, so something they ought to be able to fix.

ikuze

Are you sure they had protective items? Never seen the animation when they had protection.

Yes, as it also happened when my brother was spectating my game. We were talking on the phone and he found it funny how I got hit but didn't lose any speed. I was never hit since I had a banana for protection.

Yeah it's annoying, but once you expect it, hey, free coins. This didn't happen in MK7 btw even when playing against people on the other side of the world, so something they ought to be able to fix.

That's another weird thing about this issue. They even drop the coins.

I think ive seen this happen to me too as well.. like ill have 3 shells around me and still get ht by a shell

Theres a lot of things im struggling to love about this game, but im still new to it so im willing to let it go till im more experienced and understand everything. I fee like theres been a lot of small tweaks to the formula and some work and some im left scratchig my head

This is normal. Before if you had three shells or bananas spinning around you it guaranteed protection from one item, after which a hole would be made between the remaining two that would possibly allow you to get hit, and if the second got hit the hole would be larger. In this game they expanded the space between the shells so even if you have three it's still possible to get hit if it happens between the small space between three shells or bananas

TheMoon

that might just be something slipping through. three shells/bananas are not a perfect circle. plus, fireballs/boomerangs don't give no fucks about no shells.

no Nintendo should just PATCH IT OUT because hardcore NeoGAFers don't like it!

but seriously I haven't played since launch weekend since I've been busy. Do you need to turn it off every time you start the game up?

Nope, just turn it off once and that's all. Just be careful turning it on when you pause during a race :p

Buttons

no Nintendo should just PATCH IT OUT because hardcore NeoGAFers don't like it!

but seriously I haven't played since launch weekend since I've been busy. Do you need to turn it off every time you start the game up?

You can also turn it on and off while choosing your kart and parts, do it once and it will stay off.

Berordn

Unlocked Gold Mario and the gold glider today! Don't think I'll bother with the gold body or gold tires though, honestly.

If you get get Gold Mario, the Gold Standard is just a quick detour through Mirror Mode.

Gold Tires wouldn't be too hard to get from that point either, but that's at least a completely different mode.

Top Bottom