• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

KingBroly

Banned
Damn, Neo City 200cc ghost is way outta my league. I am 4 seconds behind after one lap. That level is impossible on 200cc.

There's a general rule of thumb in regards to 200cc:
- Never go for Ramp Boosts
- Go hard into Corners
- Acceleration >>> Speed on your Setup (but keep it above 3; I prefer 3.25)

Finished beating all 48 Staff Ghosts. The final 16 from the DLC Tracks were really hard. Perfect Ghosts almost. Almost all were in the top 10% of the standings I'd say.

This game is really lacking in single player content.

I wish there was like a Toad shop where you could spend coins on stuff you want, and you got bonus coins for winning cups or something.

Just any kind of motivation whatsoever. They didn't even try. Time trials are fun but where's the reward?

Shaanyboi

Banned
This game is really lacking in single player content.

I wish there was like a Toad shop where you could spend coins on stuff you want, and you got bonus coins for winning cups or something.

Just any kind of motivation whatsoever. They didn't even try. Time trials are fun but where's the reward?

There hasn't been a Mission Mode since Mario Kart DS and the series has only been worse for it. It's what will keep 8 forever below MKDS in my rankings.

Roo

Do you know any good resources to learn these combos? Its dope how some of these players are building such huge leads early on.

Stat Calculator
https://majorasmask9.github.io/mk8dstats/

Stats charts
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g7A-38tn9UAIbB2B3sZI-MpILsS3ZS870UTVMRRxh4Q/htmlview

^ check those to see the stats for every part and how they work together.

I have to say, not everything is about the combo. That's like, 50% of the equation.
It won't matter how fast it is if you don't have consistent lines and know how to use items.
Sure, luck is a big factor too and everyone will throw their items at you but with practice and good item management you should be able to recover.

There's a general rule of thumb in regards to 200cc:
- Never go for Ramp Boosts
- Go hard into Corners
- Acceleration >>> Speed on your Setup (but keep it above 3; I prefer 3.25)
What's a ramp boost? Is that when you jump a ramp and hit R to do a stunt in the air?

Also, regarding combos, I looked at the list and builder. I am way more confused now than before, there's so many hidden stats.

I usually just like to pick a character I like (King Boo, Shyguy, Luigi, Wario) and try to pick a build with balance in every catagory on the parts screen in game. Could I get an example of a combo to try that works for 150cc? I can just pick which characters I enjoy and build around them and be competitive right? I'm starting to realize that I am doing poorly compared to other online Mario Kart titles.

What's a ramp boost? Is that when you jump a ramp and hit R to do a stunt in the air?

Also, regarding combos, I looked at the list and builder. I am way more confused now than before, there's so many hidden stats.

I usually just like to pick a character I like (King Boo, Shyguy, Luigi, Wario) and try to pick a build with balance in every catagory on the parts screen in game. Could I get an example of a combo to try that works for 150cc? I can just pick which characters I enjoy and build around them and be competitive right? I'm starting to realize that I am doing poorly compared to other online Mario Kart titles.

Well, most of us that are high in the skill tier prioritize acceleration. That's why you see me and a few others (if they're present) half a lap or more beyond everyone else, it's all because of the mini turbo. I tend to use King Boo with the Comet and roller wheels, and the cloud gliders. Justice, a fellow skilled player, last time I checked, used something similiar via Bowser, comet, roller wheels, and bowser kite. Roo, yet another, has used the comet with button wheels and and unknown glider while driving with his beloved Dry Bowser (though he's stated he doesn't have his full set yet). Preying Shark is different, I see he tends to use the biddy buggy with rollers and his character seems to differ from time to time.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure who mentioned it, but let it be known YOU CAN collect coins from online and they DO count. When you finish an online session, simple start a Grand Prix to the character creation screen, unlock the part, then back out to the main menu so that you're notified of yet another new unlocked part (if you've unlocked more than one), and repeat

Edit 2: In response to FireBrand's question on inside bikes, there's a tradeoff. Bikes build up their mini turbo much faster (on a curve that allows it, if you just turn completely in the direction of the curve without having to turn the opposite direction to avoid hitting a wall or falling off, you can get a pink mini turbo in around three seconds) but they can't hug corners as tightly. If you try to turn a corner from the inside of the curve with an inside bike, you end up on the outside of the corner instead due to the anglel. Although you could do what I do and start drifting with an inside bike from the outside of a corner to end up on the inside but it varies on the situation and value since people might pass you by doing that. It's all a matter of preference

Edit 3: Back on Track, the people who you see ahead of you are likely just spamming mini turbos (enhanced by stats) like crazy, trying to get in as high a level of a boost as possible while doing so. I know if I get pink sparks with my set up, I get a mini turbo that lasts around 4-5 seconds, give or take

Playing this right now... I came back to MK last year with 7. Regarding solo mode, I had such a hard time getting the cups and unlocking characters with 7. With 8, I have been able to finish first at every courses I have played. It feels incredibly easy. Is it just me ? (Well, I still suck online lol)

Playing this right now... I came back to MK last year with 7. Regarding solo mode, I had such a hard time getting the cups and unlocking characters with 7. With 8, I have been able to finish first at every courses I have played. It feels incredibly easy. Is it just me ? (Well, I still suck online lol)

Depends on your engine class and if you have auto steering on and such

Speed and acceleration are the most important stats. Weight also has its importance, but not as much as speed and acceleration. Handling is important if you're a newer player, but after you start getting better at the game it diminishes. Don't even worry about traction, it's a useless stat.

So pretty much speed and acceleration; online you're going to get blown up a lot, so acceleration is important to get back to your top speed.

A good comp kart for newer players is:

Cat Cruiser
Slim
Plane Glider

Speed and acceleration are the most important stats. Weight also has its importance, but not as much as speed and acceleration. Handling is important if you’re a newer player, but after you start getting better at the game it diminishes. Don’t even worry about traction, it’s a useless stat.

So pretty much speed and acceleration; online you’re going to get blown up a lot, so acceleration is important to get back to your top speed.

A good comp kart for newer players is:

Cat Cruiser
Slim
Plane Glider

Acceleration is NOT just to get up your top speed. In this game some would argue it is vastly more important than speed due to everything it does, namely mini turbo and it's side effects. Handling is actually pretty good due to it affecting how you cut corners, and traction is decent depending on how much you care about off road stages. Weight is pretty negligible unless you're getting pushed off a lot.

Rixxan

So I 3 starred 50, 100, 150, and mirror grand prix's

But i can tell 200 is going to be a pain, despite enjoying the speed

any recommendations?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I love Time Trials because I love driving the tracks. I get so flustered when I'm in first and get hit by item after item after item halfway through my 3rd lap and finish near the bottom. :|

Also, I haven't played a MK game since 64. I'm sort of bummed that they took Rainbow Road from N64 and made it a gauntlet instead of a true 3 lap "endurance" race.

Lynd7

Has anyone worked out what's going on with tapping the item button to get item faster? It doesn't let you do it even in single player sometimes.

deeganay

Neo Member
Has anyone had difficulty with starting the game? I insert the cartridge into the console and I get an error indicating "software was closed because an error" right upon launch.
When I put in my Zelda cartridge I don't get this error; I'm hoping I didn't break the cartridge somehow

Firebrand

Edit 2: In response to FireBrand's question on inside bikes, there's a tradeoff. Bikes build up their mini turbo much faster (on a curve that allows it, if you just turn completely in the direction of the curve without having to turn the opposite direction to avoid hitting a wall or falling off, you can get a pink mini turbo in around three seconds) but they can't hug corners as tightly. If you try to turn a corner from the inside of the curve with an inside bike, you end up on the outside of the corner instead due to the anglel. Although you could do what I do and start drifting with an inside bike from the outside of a corner to end up on the inside but it varies on the situation and value since people might pass you by doing that. It's all a matter of preference

Ah. Cheers.

Has anyone worked out what's going on with tapping the item button to get item faster? It doesn't let you do it even in single player sometimes.
Does this happen for the duration of the race for you, and does it take ~twice as long to finish? This is my main frustration right now, but it's happening so much lately I wonder if it's due to something I'm doing. Only seen it online though.

Has anyone had difficulty with starting the game? I insert the cartridge into the console and I get an error indicating "software was closed because an error" right upon launch.
When I put in my Zelda cartridge I don't get this error; I'm hoping I didn't break the cartridge somehow
That sucks. Have you tried a hard reset (hold power button for ~10 sec)? There's also an option in settings somewhere to verify files, in case the patch files are corrupt.

deeganay

Neo Member
That sucks. Have you tried a hard reset (hold power button for ~10 sec)? There's also an option in settings somewhere to verify files, in case the patch files are corrupt.
Thanks for the idea! The reset never worked, so I simply deleted the game (all save data remainded during this) as per your suggestion and it worked! Thanks!

octopiggy

Well, most of us that are high in the skill tier prioritize acceleration. That's why you see me and a few others (if they're present) half a lap or more beyond everyone else, it's all because of the mini turbo. I tend to use King Boo with the Comet and roller wheels, and the cloud gliders. Justice, a fellow skilled player, last time I checked, used something similiar via Bowser, comet, roller wheels, and bowser kite. Roo, yet another, has used the comet with button wheels and and unknown glider while driving with his beloved Dry Bowser (though he's stated he doesn't have his full set yet). Preying Shark is different, I see he tends to use the biddy buggy with rollers and his character seems to differ from time to time.

Man, wish I'd seen a post like this earlier. I've been prioritising speed like the last game. Just switched up my kart set-up and I'm destroying my old time trials.

Man, now that I'm up to 5000 points online matches have become significantly more challenging. One tiny mistake and you're in the bottom three, no mercy shown whatsoever. Also I totally suck at the 200cc races in between. It takes me 2 rounds to get used to the higher speed and by then it's way too late.

Loving this game, but really struggling to understand why most of the time I go online only to spectate 3 minutes of another round in battle mode before I can actually play. Would be nice to just be able to pick, maybe that update will come with the phone app

I was able to join 150cc with 4 others in the room, but got a connection error and I can't seem to rejoin. Can I just sit in the lobby and wait if it's due to you guys in a match, or is it full?

Firebrand

I was able to join 150cc with 4 others in the room, but got a connection error and I can't seem to rejoin. Can I just sit in the lobby and wait if it's due to you guys in a match, or is it full?

If there's a match is going on and there's room you'll be spectating until it's over.

Firebrand

Good games. Stuck with inwards drift bike all night, didn't do very well but it's fun. I think I'm overdoing the analog steering. On regular bike I can pink drift into the wooden bridge on Yoshi Island and start a new boost, but I find this much harder with the inward drift bike. Practice makes... not worse I suppose.

Highlight was ramming a large amount of people with star + gold mushroom at the end of Royal Raceway, muahaha.

Gold glider... meh.

Good games. Stuck with inwards drift bike all night, didn't do very well but it's fun. I think I'm overdoing the analog steering. On regular bike I can pink drift into the wooden bridge on Yoshi Island and start a new boost, but I find this much harder with the inward drift bike. Practice makes... not worse I suppose.

Highlight was ramming a large amount of people with star + gold mushroom at the end of Royal Raceway, muahaha.

Gold glider... meh.

It's easier to get pink drift on Yoshi value with in drift

Rixxan

I thought I knew cheese induced rage

And then I began three staring 200cc

How naive I once was - this is what it means to truly hate

I joined you guys for a bit, and at best didn't finish in last. Apparently the normal online matchmaking has been 100cc, and my 200cc focus has really thrown me off a bit. Right off cliffs. Was fun stilll, I'm sure I was a pain in the ass with blue shells and lightning.

That inside drift comet build will work with other weight classes aside from heavy right? I was looking at the world records for 150cc and heavies completely dominate, many with that exact build.

I'm enjoying the landship I just unlocked as well, it seems to work well in single player 200cc, rollers, and Bowser kite with Wario and Luigi.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Guys, stop attacking me! :(

I'm trying to live up with my self-challenge as a Pacifist in the lobby so you wouldn't see me hitting anyone, like ever.

Unicorn

2500 coins and finally got the pipe frame. Now I'm ready for Battle Mode all day every day.

but of fucking course no one is in the GAF battle.... and no one in the Nintendo Renegade Roundup only tournament room either.

All y'all are playing this fucking game wrong.

hatchx

Banned
2500 coins and finally got the pipe frame. Now I'm ready for Battle Mode all day every day.

but of fucking course no one is in the GAF battle.... and no one in the Nintendo Renegade Roundup only tournament room either.

All y'all are playing this fucking game wrong.

I'm all about pipe frame (and wooden wheels) still gunning for both!

Blarg

Neo Member
The item balance is so bad in this game. I think I could drop my controller down a flight of stairs during the race and have an equal chance of winning.

I thought I knew cheese induced rage

And then I began three staring 200cc

How naive I once was - this is what it means to truly hate

Yesterday I actually 3 starred the first cup on 200cc in my first try...the second on the other hand, only with one star :)

Brake drifting is something else...

Top Bottom