• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

mstevens

Oh my god - tilt controls were turned on somehow. No wonder I was having so much trouble. I thought my cart setup was just slippery or something.

Exentryk

I actually won one. Dreams do come true.

image.php

There's always that one guy with 3500+ who never leaves the lobby. What satisfaction do you gain by beating children and casuals repeatedly? Go play a fighting game or a moba and get your shit kicked in, bitch.

samred

ro-kay-to stah-to courtesy of NEKO-MARIO-TIIIME: https://youtu.be/Ncfu3GKak8E?t=36

(aka the exact moment to tap for max boost at the starting line, as narrated by a puppet of Japanese Cat Mario)

This can't be news to anybody here, but I can't recall Nintendo otherwise telling people exactly when to press for max boost, so, here ya go. You get to see minor boost, max boost, and spin-out in this segment. No Japanese knowledge necessary.

I've given up on 3 staring 150 cc. 4 straight attempts in a row doing the Special cup, winning the first 3 races, and then getting blasted on the final turn of rainbow road. I can't handle that stress anymore.

edit: ah the old gaf reverse jinx. Won rainbow road this time by the skin of my teeth.

I feel like my racer combo isn't jiving well with me. I never used to play with heavy characters, but I hear they're good in this game so I'm trying Donkey Kong, F Zero cart, Sponge tires, and Hylian Kite. He feels really slippery to me. Is there a more optimal setup, at least for clearing 150 cc?

Just 3 starred special cup on 150 tonight after what mustve been 12
Attempts in the past week. Yeah that last turn in rainbow road is fucking vicious, you could be coasting in 1st just to stupidly drift off it or more often than not get slammed with by several consecutive red shells

NimbusD

As fun as mk8d is, I really wish Nintendo would make a mk game with an actual balanced item rotation that has skill come into play. It's super fun with local coop or playing w people you know, but randos online... It gets boring just fucking people over or getting fucked with items that have no readily available counters, or even being able to hold onto your items due to lightening or not being able to rotate them like in double dash.

Well that's just wishful thinking, mk will always be a party game. Just gotta have fun w what I got!

Edit: also what's with just going for games in a row only getting mushrooms and coins, ugh. That's no fun. If it's gonna be fun, then give me fun stuff.

There's always that one guy with 3500+ who never leaves the lobby. What satisfaction do you gain by beating children and casuals repeatedly? Go play a fighting game or a moba and get your shit kicked in, bitch.

To be fair this game's matchmaking is kinda shitty. I don't think they really have an option

As fun as mk8d is, I really wish Nintendo would make a mk game with an actual balanced item rotation that has skill come into play. It's super fun with local coop or playing w people you know, but randos online... It gets boring just fucking people over or getting fucked with items that have no readily available counters, or even being able to hold onto your items due to lightening or not being able to rotate them like in double dash.

Well that's just wishful thinking, mk will always be a party game. Just gotta have fun w what I got!

I actually feel like MK8D struck gold with item balancing... there's plenty to defend yourself in first place, just gotta learn the game and play smart. Not being able to change items is a shame, but at least you can hold them out to defend, unlike Double Dash

Finally got 3 stars in every cup on every cc! 200cc was surprisingly pretty painless, and I was able to do most of the cups on one go. I had to do the bell cup over a few times tho cause fuck Neo Bowser City. That course is the bane of my existence LOL. Now to start working on beating those time trials.

coughlanio

Played my first race online this morning, Baby Park, came first place. One of the most intense online experiences I've had in a while.

Mario Kart really has justified the Switch for me, I can pick it up and do a two minute race literally anywhere, with amazing fidelity.

Neiteio

That Animal Crossing course is gorgeous.

Imagine playing on that years ago and getting hyped for the Animal Crossing U that never came. Ahh.

Yeah, aesthetically it's a really cool track.
Coincidentally, I just finished playing all four seasons of that course back to back. I then went into Time Trials to study certain details more closely, like the flow of the river (it starts in the mountains and passes under the railroad bridge, then under the stone bridge at the start, then past the glider section, before ending in the waterfall at the beach).

Neat trick if you don't already know it — in Versus (single-player or multiplayer), you can choose the season in Animal Crossing by holding the following button when selecting it:

L - Spring
R - Summer
ZL - Autumn
ZR - Winter

Love this course. I think it might be my favorite in the game. It's a simpler course, but complex enough to be interesting. And it's just so gosh darn pleasant. I like to play all four seasons in a sort of custom Animal Crossing Cup. :)

It kind of sucks that you don't get coins for online play. I want to unlock stuff and also the gold items, but I just want to play multiplayer lol.

Why rainbow road? Is that considered and off road track or something? And how does it help against bloopers?

And I'm guessing overall it's not that important of a stat?

For some reason Rainbow Road counts as "slippery." And well, some people don't know this, but Bloopers don't just mess up the screen, they decrease your handling too, to a noticeable degree. You drift differently under the effects of a Blooper (which is extremely noticeable when using an inside drift bike, in which bloopers practically turn them into outside drifters for a while, it can actually mess people up that way).

Though yeah, Traction is a pretty forgettable stat, same as weight. You'll still feel it's effects on some maps though. Speed, acceleration, and handling are the three big stats that aren't hidden.

JackHerer

So suddenly drifting broke on my switch. Must be an issue with the joycon. It's very strange because it only affects drifting. I can begin drifting just fine but I can only turn fullly into the drift or it cancels/gets super wonky.

Working fine then suddenly broken. Seriously sucks.

jokkir

Excite Bike is the worst stage. There's just very little chance of catching up to whoever is ahead. Just hope for good items and drive straight.

Firebrand

So suddenly drifting broke on my switch. Must be an issue with the joycon. It's very strange because it only affects drifting. I can begin drifting just fine but I can only turn fullly into the drift or it cancels/gets super wonky.

Working fine then suddenly broken. Seriously sucks.
Make sure you didn't accidentally enabled autosteering.

Firebrand

Ugh, terrible games (for me) tonight. :p Laggiest it's ever been (At the end of Mute City items wouldn't stop cycling until after the S-curve), of course that's on me for being so remote from the rest of KartGAF. :D

Might be time to move up to a medium-weight character (RIP Lemmy)... I've never felt weight mattered much until tonight where I got knocked around like a pinball, off items and shortcuts.

One of the first things I checked; I hadn't, but starting a different game (Zelda) and then loading MK8D again did the trick. Seems like a weird bug in either the joycon or the game itself.

Hmm, odd. I don't know if the system autocalibrates the stick on software launch or system start.

Firebrand

DC'd again. :/ Water Park was fine, but game before and after crashed for me. Today has been lag and DC city for me, I expect to get salty over the game but not for these reasons. :p Not super keen on paying for this kind of online later this year.

Unicorn

It kind of sucks that you don't get coins for online play. I want to unlock stuff and also the gold items, but I just want to play multiplayer lol.
It sucks battle mode barely helps get you coins.

Fucking sitting at 2400 and still have not unlocked pipe frame. Doing 2 1/2 cups on single player just to ensure I get 10 coins every race is a grind I do not enjoy participating in. Switch has actually started collecting dust this week because of it.

Firebrand

Oh, another gem from tonight's play against GAF: I actually got the 8 item, twice. BOTH times I immediately got hit by lightning before being able to use anything, lol.

Tried some inwards drifting bikes too. Felt okay when getting used to it (MotoGP?), but do they have any inherent advantages? I feel like I can hug u-turns better with my standard setups.

Nope.
This is what I thought as well, and I'm incredibly glad that this isn't the case considering that I'm really not interested in the single player Grand Prix stuff.
Its just...not compelling at all when you have the variety and fun of racing and battling with folks in the games bevy of awesome online modes.
:p

Is there fire hopping or snaking in this game? Lately I've noticed players are able to put a significant distance between themselves and everyone else super early in the race.

Roo

Is there fire hopping or snaking in this game? Lately I've noticed players are able to put a significant distance between themselves and everyone else super early in the race.
Firehopping was fixed and snaking hasn't been a thing since DS. Maybe they're just good players with good combos?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I don't suppose anyone has any further advice regarding Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the internet... other than buy a wired connection dongle?

I've tried the following:
Connecting to both 5ghz and 2.xghz, tried varying channels for them both.
changed the DNS, checked the firmware on my router (all updated)

i've done everything on this list.. even down to moving my router onto the floor in the middle of the room.. and sitting with the Switch right next to it...

i have no issues with Fast RMX, it just seems Mario Kart wants to disconnect me every 30 seconds - 1.5 minutes.
:(

Tried a full shutdown of the system by holding the power button for ~10 secs?

Yep, a few times. I've tried some other wifi networks as well :(

Kiro

Damn, Neo City 200cc ghost is way outta my league. I am 4 seconds behind after one lap. That level is impossible on 200cc.

Firehopping was fixed and snaking hasn't been a thing since DS. Maybe they're just good players with good combos?

Do you know any good resources to learn these combos? Its dope how some of these players are building such huge leads early on.

Top Bottom