• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

I recently read in an interview that for the DLC patch they made the lightweights suffer less from bumps for "balance".

Did they seriously think that this was good enough!?

ffdgh

I recently read in an interview that for the DLC patch they made the lightweights suffer less from bumps for "balance".

Did they seriously think that this was good enough!?

The bump nerf wasn't much a nerf anyway since heavy weights still send everyone below then into a wall or off the track lol.

ffdgh

I had a coin so I was boned there anyways.

Not sure why I went so wide on that turn though

Last line of item boxes I got another coin and THAT is what fucked me.

Eh I wasn't gonna throw it. A somewhat guaranteed second isn't all that bad.

Ok that back bomb startled me sooo....reflexes.

If I have reasonable luck with rooms it shouldn't be horrible.

If all else fails I can just "cheat" and use my third waifu, Bowser (I practice polygamy u c)

Roo

I'm torn...Yeah I would totally be ok with everyone being viable but yet it does seem somewhat boring tho. It bugs me that mario kart 7 was almost perfectly balanced when compared to every other game before it yet nintendo somehow goofed and gave us mk8's crappy balance...

It's not that dang hard if they went back to 3 weight classes and increased the speed by .25 instead of .5 like in 8.

I honestly don't see the boring side of that.
What's boring is to race against 8 Mortons, 2 Bowsers and 1 Wario.
Yes, there are people who don't care about stats and they pick whatever the like the most but most people confine themselves to whatever is "the best possible"

Roo, the only way your idea would work is if they made Peach as big as Bowser. I... I don't really think a Fat Peach would go over w-

Wait we have Rosalina nevermind

To be honest, that didn't stop Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach
The only reason you know they're heavyweight characters is because they're metal=(heavy) and their known stats (our main issue here) but still regular Mario and Peach asthetic wise :p

ffdgh

I honestly don't see the boring side of that.
What's boring is to race against 8 Mortons, 2 Bowsers and 1 Wario.
Yes, there are people who don't care about stats and they pick whatever the like the most but most people confine themselves to whatever is "the best possible"

Giving it more consideration...you make a compelling point. I guess more than anything I hope they avoid another dry bomber situation as awesome as it was in Mario kart ds.

To be honest, that didn't stop Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach
The only reason you know they're heavyweight characters is because they're metal=(heavy) and their known stats (our main issue here) but still regular Mario and Peach asthetic wise :p
What I was referring to is that if the characters kept their current sizes, anybody who wasn't a current lightweight would be at a disadvantage because they wouldn't have the smallest hurtbox.

Roo

Giving it more consideration...you make a compelling point. I guess more than anything I hope they avoid another dry bomber situation as awesome as it was in Mario kart ds.
Don't even mention it e_e
What I was referring to is that if the characters kept their current sizes, anybody who wasn't a current lightweight would be garbage because they wouldn't have the smallest possible hurtbox. Well, not garbage, but still.
Ah, ok. I get it.
Yeah, hitboxes are an issue. They always could make lightweight's hitbox bigger and/or heavyweight's smaller.
It works in paper but who knows what impact that would have in an actual game.
Not that it really matters, items' hitboxes have almost twice their "real" size in MK8 so if you're gettiing hit.. you're getting hit.

Oh, right, last night I remembered somethin'...

List of characters worth using in 7:

Koopa
Shy Guy
Toad
Lakitu
Yoshi
Peach
Daisy
Bowser
Wario
Honey Queen
Metal Mario

You see, max accel builds were actually able to hold their own against heavyweights in that game, even at high levels of play, which lead to plenty of character variety in all but the most hardcore rooms; even 30+K VR rooms tended to have plenty of variety. No, even 40+K. Not sure about 50+ though can't remember too well. And yeah, MM was smaller than the other heavyweights but that didn't make the others not worth using; they still had benefits like not whiffing item boxes, bigger tail range, and easier coin-grabbing. They could also bump people off easier. So the big hitboxes had some benefits, but most people preferred a slightly smaller chance of not getting hit by something. You still occasionally saw the other ones though.

Then in 8 they decided not to fix the relatively minor balance issues of that game and instead decided to just do... Whatever the fuck they did. Good job Nintendo, good job.

...At least they fixed red monster wheels lol

Roo

Oh, right, last night I remembered somethin'...

List of characters worth using in 7:

Koopa
Shy Guy
Toad
Lakitu
Yoshi
Peach
Daisy
Bowser
Wario
Honey Queen
Metal Mario

You see, max accel builds were actually able to hold their own against heavyweights in that game, even at high levels of play, which lead to plenty of character variety in all but the most hardcore rooms; even 30+K VR rooms tended to have plenty of variety. No, even 40+K. Not sure about 50+ though can't remember too well. And yeah, MM was smaller than the other heavyweights but that didn't make the others not worth using; they still had benefits like not whiffing item boxes, bigger tail range, and easier coin-grabbing. They could also bump people off easier. So the big hitboxes had some benefits, but most people preferred a slightly smaller chance of not getting hit by something. You still occasionally saw the other ones though.

Then in 8 they decided not to fix the relatively minor balance issues of that game and instead decided to just do... Whatever the fuck they did. Good job Nintendo, good job.

...At least they fixed red monster wheels lol

I never played Mario Kart 7 thoroughly so I can't reallly say anything about it in a meaningful way but you're right, there was a wider variety of characters there than what we currently see.

Thinking about it, character stats is the least of Mario Kart 8's problems anyway.
it3B6bCsccQRp.gif

Stupid physics and lame item distribution hurt it even more

ffdgh

Clearly we needed more speed disparity because...reasons . Every weight class aside from Crusier/heavies were made slower in the transition to 8 lol.

Babies(lol) 4.25 > 3.25 (they weren't actually in 7)
Feather 4.50 > 3.75
Light 4.75 > 4.25
Medium 5.00 > 4.75
Crusier 5.25> 5.25 (lol wut)
Heavy 5.50> 5.75
Metal mario 5.50 > 5.25

Roo

Seems like we (might) get Captain Toad for Mario Kart 8

Nintendo’s Koichi Hayashida Wants Captain Toad In Mario Kart

Would you like to see Captain Toad appear as a playable character in Mario Kart 8? Well, Nintendo’s very own Koichi Hayashida wants him to star in the iconic racing series as well as other Nintendo titles. Interestingly, Hayashida has contacted the director of Mario Kart to see if he’d consider including Captain Toad in the game. Hayashida says he has become quite attached to the charming character and would like to see him feature in a “variety of games.”

At this stage we don’t know. I personally want to see him featured in a variety of games. I’ve even ‘secretly’ emailed the director of Mario Kart to see if he’d consider including Captain Toad, but I haven’t heard back from him yet!
sauce

Captain Toad with the worst speed, worst accel and unable to do tricks confimed :p

Considering Nintendo's recent lazy attempts of clones, I wouldn't be surprised to see Captain Toad in but who knows.

Roo

For obvious reasons it would be absent while using karts but including Captain Toad's backpack when you use a bike/ATV would be a really nice touch.
Also, his headlamp should turn on/off in dark tracks at least as a cosmetic thing.

Anyway, I'll play for a few races in 10 minutes if anyone wants to join.

Stupid connection ;_;

Unfortunately I was at school at that time

Tomorrow's the day, though. Marathon for 10K? Marathon for 10K. At 9800 I believe so it should hopefully be doable. Hopefully...

Roo

So do you guys think we should get a new DLC thread for pack two or should we stay here?
This thread already covers both packs (the only thing missing are the new tracks) but a new thread would give new exposure to the game.

Hype dies rather quickly so it would be regular KartGAF again in matter of weeks so I'm not sure if it's really worth it.

Go with a new thread. It's big enough content to justify it.

Then we just have to hope Splatoon doesn't kill us a week in like Smash and Pokemon did last time.

Yeah, it's May, same month as the DLC.

Ideally one will be at the beginning of May and one will be at the end of May but that probably won't happen.

Roo

We don't know when the release date but we do know it'll release sometime on May.

Yeah, it's May, same month as the DLC.

Ideally one will be at the beginning of May and one will be at the end of May but that probably won't happen.
I see.
Expect a May 12th (or 13th) release for the DLC and Splatoon the next week.. meh
I don't think Splatoon will hurt this community that much tho
It's nowhere near Smash. That one was a killer literally

Hmm, true.

For me it was Pokemon and not Smash though. But yeah, Splatoon isn't anywhere near as bad as two of the biggest video game franchises releasing on the same day one week after

Top Bottom