• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

This track...

KkQAVcP.jpg
I kinda want to make this my phone wallpaper.

Also the music in the new ice course took me by surprise... it's so good.

Roo

This track...

KkQAVcP.jpg

It's a shame the whole game is being held back by all that aliasing.
People say it's only a screenshot thing but it's very obvious in motion too.
Hopefully their next home console is powerful enough to provide such a good looking game plus some AA and whatnot.

dock

I don't know what's going on, but both this morning and right now there's no-one in either Neogaf room, despite both flashing as active! They worked great for me yesterday and Thursday. Anyone else facing this problem?

I can race other online games just fine.

dock

Having a hard time to connecting to anybody on the GAF tournaments today. I just get put in empty rooms with my Mii over Scandinavia, seems like the game won't let me play with people globally..

I'm facing the same problem today, but it was working a couple of days ago!

Neiteio

So I haven't played this game in a while prior to the DLC, and I've never been one to obsess over scores, etc. But I like SNES Rainbow Road so much that I keep racing it in Time Trials, trying to make a more perfect run that I can then enjoy on MKTV (a good way to soak in the sights and sounds without actually playing!). I think I'm around 1'40" now, which seemed really good, sticking to the inside edges, drifting halfway over the abyss at each turn, tricking off the ramps and ripples from the Thwomps, etc.

But then I check the global leaderboards, and some fellow using Morton had a run that (IIRC) was in the 1'20" range. I have no idea how to shave 20+ seconds off my run. I watched what he did and he appeared to be doing some snaking-esque trick where he hopped back and forth on the straightaways. Eh, I don't think I'm going to hold myself to that...

Molemitts

I got a Wii U with Mario Kart 8 yesterday and I just downloaded the DLC today! It's so good! The F-Zero track is now my favourite, I've never played an F-Zero game before, but I love how fast paced it is. I also wanted a stage that is constantly on zero gravity mode, from the beginning.

Omnicent

I'm facing the same problem today, but it was working a couple of days ago!

The room is full, so it will put you in an empty room. You need to join/queue up via a gaf member in your rivals list/friends list, or just wait it out for the new room to fill up.

Neiteio

I got a Wii U with Mario Kart 8 yesterday and I just downloaded the DLC today! It's so good! The F-Zero track is now my favourite, I've never played an F-Zero game before, but I love how fast paced it is. I also wanted a stage that is constantly on zero gravity mode, from the beginning.
The Mute City track, being MK8, is still nothing compared to the speed of an actual F-Zero game, but it does a good job evoking that series with the exhilarating rush you get from a continuous string of boosts up an elliptical spiral.

Grizzo

As much as I love SNES Rainbow Road, I wish people would stop voting for it (or other DLC tracks), I don't want to get bored with them too quickly

when you're racing on Wario's Gold Mine three times in 15 minutes, it gets a little bit tiring

There are now 40 tracks to choose from, that's plenty of possibilities!

Damn Grizzo !!

what have I done D:

Oidisco

I don't know what's going on, but both this morning and right now there's no-one in either Neogaf room, despite both flashing as active! They worked great for me yesterday and Thursday. Anyone else facing this problem?

I can race other online games just fine.

Your best bet is to join through Friends/Rivals, since joining normally never works properly for me.

Neiteio

As much as I love SNES Rainbow Road, I wish people would stop voting for it (or other DLC tracks), I don't want to get bored with them too quickly

when you're racing on Wario's Gold Mine three times in 15 minutes, it gets a little bit tiring

There are now 40 tracks to choose from, that's plenty of possibilities!
There are 40 tracks, but eight of them are DLC!

#PartOfTheProblem

Grizzo

There are 40 tracks, but eight of them are DLC!

#PartOfTheProblem

haha you're right, but something I've noticed in that GAF Frantic DLC room is that the set of tracks to choose from has always the same 15 tracks coming back.

Some of them rarely appear, if ever. I guess they did that so that we can play more often on the DLC tracks, but still.

thefro

Drilling the person in first place with a green shell while drifting and boosting around a corner in Mute City is extremely satisfying.

Molemitts

The Mute City track, being MK8, is still nothing compared to the speed of an actual F-Zero game, but it does a good job evoking that series with the exhilarating rush you get from a continuous string of boosts up an elliptical spiral.

I can't compare it to a real F-Zero game, but it's so good. I don't think any other track has that many speed boost things. It's a slight change from the normal Mario Kart stages and that's what probably makes it so fun.

mug

Just got the DLC and I'm definitely impressed. Is there a GAF list where I can sign up to join in the multiplayer events?

Neiteio

It's a shame the whole game is being held back by all that aliasing.
People say it's only a screenshot thing but it's very obvious in motion too.
Hopefully their next home console is powerful enough to provide such a good looking game plus some AA and whatnot.
I honestly don't notice the aliasing in motion, and I don't think it's me being "insensitive" since it usually bothers me when I have to dial down settings on certain PC games (curse you, The Evil Within!). I do notice some aliasing at the start of Wario Gold Mine, and occasionally between lines of tile on Rainbow Road. But for the most part, the game looks remarkably smooth in motion, and I'm not sure why, because it's hella jaggy in screens.

I honestly don't notice the aliasing in motion, and I don't think it's me being "insensitive" since it usually bothers me when I have to dial down settings on certain PC games (curse you, The Evil Within!). I do notice some aliasing at the start of Wario Gold Mine, and occasionally between lines of tile on Rainbow Road. But for the most part, the game looks remarkably smooth in motion, and I'm not sure why, because it's hella jaggy in screens.

Definitely agree - I don't really notice it all that much when I'm playing the game. Then again, I'm not terribly picky on graphics in general. I thought Xenoblade on the Wii was absolutely gorgeous and from a technical perspective, that game looks pretty bad, lol. It's more about the art style and how well it looks in motion for me. I'd rather have 60fps than some AA personally. I also have no idea what people are talking about with the 59fps stuff, and I'm happy with not knowing. :p

Esiquio

Just got the DLC and I'm definitely impressed. Is there a GAF list where I can sign up to join in the multiplayer events?

Look at the OP and quote the post. We have 8 people in the DLC Frantic right now.

Prepare to lose! (not to me :p )

Top Bottom