• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

I got stuck in the wall geometry in the Wario downhill skiing race in the 200 C race. Has that happened to anyone else? I hit the wall so hard and fast that I just clipped through the wall and got stuck.

I love 200, but I don't know if I want to keep playing it when it seems things weren't/aren't optimized for it.

Neo Dark

I only just realized that the golden mushroom has a timer on it when you use it, surrounding the item icon itself. X_x
Yup and it will never go away unless you use it at least once and usually it won't go away in time for the next item box. It's usually a punishment... Even though you're already losing. Great idea right?

I don't understand 200cc
Lol do you know how to drift brake?

Neo Dark

The golden mushroom can be useful from time to time. For example, you can skip so much of Dry Dry Desert with it.
Yeah but usually the extra item you can get will serve you better. I'd rather just get three mushrooms.

No...?

Ughh bullet bill into a tree again.
Lol... So a new mechanic for 200 cc is drift braking. You need to tap b while drifting or you'll be drifting too fast. You also can't let go of your acceleration button or drift button or hold the brake too much or you lose all your momentum. It takes a little bit of practice. Some people switched to using y as their acceleration so they can tap the brake button easier. It's your choice

Edit: Oh sometimes just tapping isn't enough btw. Sometimes you do have to hold b a bit longer. It varies depending on the turn

Burning Justice

the superior princess
No...?

Ughh bullet bill into a tree again.

Except in a select few courses, you pretty much have to brake drift to have any hope of success in 200cc.

And don't worry. None of us were any good at 200cc when we first started playing it. You'll get better if you keep playing.

So is it best to tap or hold the brake

One more before bed
You hold the brake to slow down to the right speed as you enter a sharp turn and tap to maintain your speed as necessary, accelerating out of the turn. How much to hold varies from turn to turn, however, and of course for wider turns it's not necessary. This is the "proper" way to do this and results in taking turns at the fastest possible speeds. Basic racing game stuff. Note by "hold" you shouldn't have to hold it more than like a second, if that, unless you're boosting into a turn (usually from an MT).

You can also tap B on reaction. Don't get into the habit of doing this outside of emergencies; it can result in much more severe speed loss than braking properly.

But the most important thing is to not use a near-max speed combo. Don't. Trust me.

kcxiv

People here have close to 1000 hours in this game. Don't blame yourself.

i put in alot of hours with orginal and dlc1. 200CC is owning me though. I might just need more practice, cause im just running into walls all over the place.

Ill give it ago again tomorrow. I was starting to rage lol i think i took dead last like 6 in a row. lol

Exentryk

Should be able to join in about 1 hour.

i put in alot of hours with orginal and dlc1. 200CC is owning me though. I might just need more practice, cause im just running into walls all over the place.

Ill give it ago again tomorrow. I was starting to rage lol i think i took dead last like 6 in a row. lol

Yeah, give it time! Plus, GAFcc is usually harder.

Rezbit

Hey guys, I've never played in tournament mode before, if I want to join in do I have to play X amount of games, or can I just jump in for a couple then leave?

Top Bottom