• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

DaBoss

Mario Kart 8 ver. 4.1 has been released.

• Improved the overall gameplay experience
• 200cc and Mirror Mode are now immediately unlocked

Not sure how I feel about this. Firstly, I wish Nintendo would document what "gameplay experience" specifically means. Is it the online infrastructure? Is it actual tweaking of the levels? What about kart stats? Item distribution?

The second part, the immediate unlocking of 200cc and Mirror Mode... again, I have mixed feelings. If a player is unable to handle 150cc, surely they won't be able to handle 200cc? The only unlockable tied to Grand Prix now is the Golden Kart. The greatest shame with not having unlockable content is that you remove the feeling of progression from the player. This is only positive for the advanced gamer who wishes to skip 150cc and go directly into the most challenging difficulty. This is even more ironic when you consider 200cc is not part of the process of unlocking the golden kart part.

For people who thought their game was glitched and lacked the new 200cc mode, surely Nintendo could have simply put a lock symbol on top of the locked classes? It removes the element of surprise, but at least the player has something to look forward to.
I think new features added through updates/DLC shouldn't be put behind an unlock wall.

I honestly feel the netcode got a bit worse after the patch, but that could just be like that because 200cc is so fast.

Albo

Just bought the dlc, feeling salty so I'm coming in blind on the new tracks and straight to gafcc! Go easy on me!
even tho everytime someone says that people do the opposite

also, nice to see people playing at a reasonable hour for non american's.

Exentryk

Just bought the dlc, feeling salty so I'm coming in blind on the new tracks and straight to gafcc! Go easy on me!
even tho everytime someone says that people do the opposite

also, nice to see people playing at a reasonable hour for non american's.

Good luck! :p

Exentryk

Lol, I hit the side wall and then went straight into another wall. Luckily had a green and stopped at least Jman XD

I think new features added through updates/DLC shouldn't be put behind an unlock wall.

I honestly feel the netcode got a bit worse after the patch, but that could just be like that because 200cc is so fast.

The unlock is interesting. My wife and I play on both our accounts on the Wii U and mine had 200 unlocked but hers didn't, since she hasn't beat all the 150s yet. I can see both sides, but I'm glad she'll be able to play 200 now if she wants to without having to slog through all the 150s.

Albo

giphy.gif

man its hard adjusting to 200c especially since ive been playing on wiimote+nunchuck since release month and now have to use the gamepad

edit: 6 peopel frantic but feels like 12

Darksim

Since when are bots a thing online? There doesn't seem to an option to turn them off when searching for custom matches. Now online has the stutter thing which is even worse when the game moves so much faster.

Exentryk

Since when are bots a thing online? There doesn't seem to an option to turn them off when searching for custom matches. Now online has the stutter thing which is even worse when the game moves so much faster.

Yeah, bots are annoying in WWs.

Fuck this
Fuck that
Fuck this thing in particular
cat.gif

:p
lol

The sad part is that despite all my bitching I'm not doing that badly. Bikes are definitely legit in 200cc.

...Which is why we might as well be racing for 2nd a lot of the time when Exentryk is in the room and Justice isn't there to check him :X I MISS MY FIREHOPPING HANDICAP

Albo

This is bullshit. Both players hit me while I had 3 greens and they didn't get hit and I STILL had 3 greens.

This is bullshit. Both players hit me while I had 3 greens and they didn't get hit and I STILL had 3 greens.

possibly false lag hits, ie shit happening on your screen thats not really happening

and sometimes you get hit when yourve got three shells/peels, they're not 100% fullproof

Top Bottom