• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

I thought there was a different trick for it, brakes don't seem to help for shit against the boosts you get from drifting.

There's a technique I'm not sure anyone knew about where you can brake drift (hold the brake through the drift and still get the huge boost you built up). It's made me much better in 150CC actually.

Now if you want to kill the boost completely all you have to do is hold the brake too long and you'll mess up the brake drift and lose all boost.
That's Neo Bowser City, alright. I swear there's a science to it, but I'll never figure it out.
it took practice but it wasn't nearly as bad in the 3DS version. It's a lot easier for karts but man it's tough to get consistently on bikes.

DaBoss

Wasn't really paying attention to the races before, but then I paid attention during the Ice Ice Outpost race and seriously...fucking bullshit. 4 red shells at the end. I was stuck in one place with no forward movement at all at some point.

Azure J

That's Neo Bowser City, alright. I swear there's a science to it, but I'll never figure it out.

The best is that I've mastered the technique but will still be put in absolutely unfathomable situations like being sandwiched between two people with stars both taking the turn, having some scrub bump into me because they drift late, having a three car long bullet bill train smack me off the stage or have a group of monsters around me that have rotating triple mushrooms or force a slip stream boost on me.

ALL of this has happened to me before. :lol

I didn't even know brakes existed in Mario Kart until I played 200cc

Geez, how did you ever stop yourself from slipping on banana peels pre-Double Dash?

DaBoss

Sendou, rule #1 in Mario Kart 8 is if you are in 1st place, and you have an item that can defend you from a red shell, you keep on to it like your life depended on it.

Mario Kart 8 has it all.

Good item mechanics such as ricocheted auto-aiming green shells.

Great items that are balanced and take great skill to use such as boomerangs and piranha plants.

Sendou

Sendou, rule #1 in Mario Kart 8 is if you are in 1st place, and you have an item that can defend you from a red shell, you keep on to it like your life depended on it.

I know but sometimes I like to go against this "rule". Always regret it too...

GWX

it took practice but it wasn't nearly as bad in the 3DS version. It's a lot easier for karts but man it's tough to get consistently on bikes.

I could pull it off in MK7 without issues, but in MK8, specially in 200cc mode, I always have a hard time. Recently I've been doing ok on that turn without rails (sometimes I break too much and stop, sometimes I slip off, but more often than not I can make to the end and get a drift boost), but I never control myself with the items and always do something stupid.

The best is that I've mastered the technique but will still be put in absolutely unfathomable situations like being sandwiched between two people with stars both taking the turn, having some scrub bump into me because they drift late, having a three car long bullet bill train smack me off the stage or have a group of monsters around me that have rotating triple mushrooms or force a slip stream boost on me.

ALL of this has happened to me before. :lol

Well, there's the beauty of Mario Kart :lol So much shit happens it always manages to impress (and drive you insane)! I specially hate the last situation you mentioned: fuck slipstreams.

Roo

How are you supposed to cancel drift boosts again? It keeps messing me up.

If you drift/take a really wide turn and you think braking won't save you from hitting a wall, going off-road or falling off track due to the boost you'll get from it (e.g Neo Bowser City's U turns) then stop holding the accel button. That way, you can fix your path AND will cancel the boost you'll get from your drift.
You have to be quick tho. You don't lose any momentum if you place the stick to the right direction and start drifting right after.

DaBoss

Mario Kart 8 has it all.

Good item mechanics such as ricocheted auto-aiming green shells.

Great items that are balanced and take great skill to use such as boomerangs and piranha plants.
Let's add on to this.

Wonderful consistency, especially with how sometimes item boxes don't disappear when people get item boxes.

And invisible items. Who doesn't love those?

EDIT: Coin item is exactly what Mario Kart needed.

Let's not forget to buff bullet bills.

MrPanic

If you drift/take a really wide turn and you think braking won't save you from hitting a wall, going off-road or falling off track due to the boost you'll get from it (e.g Neo Bowser City's U turns) then stop holding the accel button. That way, you can fix your path AND will cancel the boost you'll get from your drift.
You have to be quick tho. You don't lose any momentum if you place the stick to the right direction and start drifting right after.
Ah yes, that's the one. Sadly my consistency has went out the window by not playing for a few days. :/

GWX

I love it when it is in my favor. I hate how you can't tell when it is going to do that or not. If it was consistent in doing that, then there would be no problem.

Oh yeah, the lack of consistency is definitely a problem, but Mario Kart's balance is so fucked up I just end up satisfied whenever it happens in my favor ;)

DaBoss

Last, but not least, greatest addition in MK8 is item wheel lag.

EDIT: Comm error'd out, so I'm gonna stop GGs.

I swear this session was trying to make me remember what I don't like about the game lol.

MrPanic

I love it when it is in my favor. I hate how you can't tell when it is going to do that or not. If it was consistent in doing that, then there would be no problem.
It seems pretty consistent to me, they only seem to break when people go exactly through the middle. I've been fairly able to tell when people will break the box except for some laggy cases.

Roo

Dawwww

9Gw7s26.png

Would have loved a Dry Bowser stamp

DaBoss

I seriously don't remember this race D:
I have the impression that ATV you're using has a massive hitbox. Same as the P Wing kart.
I'm most likely wrong but I feel like I'm an easier target with those lol
The only reason why I don't use them
You were most likely a bot.

And that would make sense with a lot of shit happening to me that session. I really like that ATV though, it looks cool.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Questions for everyone! You don't have to answer every questions tho.

1. What is your first Mario Kart?

2. What is your favorite character(s) in older titles?

3. What is your favorite character(s) in Mario Kart 8?

4. What is your favorite item(s) in older titles?

5. What is your favorite item(s) in Mario Kart 8?

6. What is your favorite track(s) that haven't shown in Mario Kart 8?

7. What is your favorite track(s) in Mario Kart 8?

8. Your best moment in Mario Kart 8?

9. Your worse moment in Mario Kart 8?

10. Which players in this community actually pissed you off and make to your rivals/enemies list?

11. Which players in this community that actually made you raged so hard and finally broke you?

12. Whom do you really hate to race against in this community?

13. Confession time for members here! What is worse thing that you ever done to neogaffers in the races?

ffdgh

SNES

(baby)Peach, Yoshi, (baby)Daisy, baby luigi, dry bones, Lakitu, metal mario

(baby/pink gold/cat)Peach, Yoshi, (baby)Daisy, baby luigi, Lakitu, metal mario, Iggy

Boo, Bowser shell, and Yoshi/Birdo egg

Star.

Mushroom city and GCN bowser castle

Royal Raceway, sherbet land, Rainbow road 8 and snes, animal crossing(winter) Both fzero tracks

When I'm not screwed over too much

When I'm excessively screwed over

10. Which players in this community actually pissed you off and make to your rivals/enemies list?
Ehh...no one

11. which players in this community that actually made you raged so hard and finally broke you?
No one

12. whom do you really hate to race against in this community?
Aholes

13. Confession time for members here! What is worse thing that you ever done to neogaffers in the races?
...I got nothing.

Done

This is what I imagined hell would be like.

Maybe... D:

Edit: You know the Koopaling battle was yesterday right?

I like using wendy somewhat often.

GWX

Here we go!

1. What is your first Mario Kart? Mario Kart 64

2. What is your favorite character(s) in older titles? Wiggler from MK7

3. What is your favorite character(s) in Mario Kart 8? Tanooki Mario, because he uses voice snippets from Mario Tennis and because of his horn

4. What is your favorite item(s) in older titles? Fake item box

5. What is your favorite item(s) in Mario Kart 8? Good and old Star, even if doesn't make the kart go as fast as it should, it defends from all the bullshit that hit you in Frantic mode lol

6. What is your favorite track(s) that haven't shown in Mario Kart 8? Wii's Maple Treeway, Toad's Factory and Koopa Cape; MK7's Wuhu Loop, Maka Wuhu, Wario Shipyard and Rainbow Road; MKDS's Delfino Square and Peach Gardens; GCN Daisy Cruiser and Dino Dino Jungle

7. What is your favorite track(s) in Mario Kart 8? Sweet Sweet Mountain, Mario Circuit, Electrodrome, Mount Wario, Cloudtop Cruise, N64 Royal Raceway, N64 Yoshi Valley, DS Tick Tock Clock, Hyrule Circuit, Ice Ice Outpost, Excitebike Arena, Mute City, Dragon Driftway, SNES Rainbow Road, Big Blue, GCN Baby Park (lol), GBA Ribbon Road, Wild Woods and Animal Crossing - too many lol

8. Your best moment in Mario Kart 8? Too few to remember

9. Your worse moment in Mario Kart 8? Too many to list

10. Which players in this community actually pissed you off and make to your rivals/enemies list? Justice because I can never catch up to him
so glad he missed that Big Blue shortcut the other day so I can say I defeated him in a head-to-head race, even though my win/loss ratio against him is pretty humiliating :lol

11. Which players in this community that actually made you raged so hard and finally broke you? Pretty much everyone actually, thanks guys

12. Whom do you really hate to race against in this community? Roo because he loves Neo Bowser City and I suck at it

13. Confession time for members here! What is worse thing that you ever done to neogaffers in the races? I'm a good citizen, therefore I don't do bad things to other racers *wink wink*

Enforced

SNES Mario kart. I'm not sure when I got it.

Mario all the time. I finally switch character on Mario kart 7 which I chose shy guy.

Rosalina of course
Hmm.. I don't know but I really like the Mega mushroom from mario kart wii. I love squashing people on online. It's hilarious. :p I would love to see it back in the future game.
bomb-omb I guess. Edit: Now the star item. Much better on 200cc.

DK Mountain from double dash!

Dolphin Shoals and Dragon Driftway in 150cc and Ribbon Road for both 150cc and 200cc

There's so many. I think I have to go with banana snipe on Merrick before he reach to the finish line.
Banana snipe

None.

11. Which players in this community that actually made you raged so hard and finally broke you?
None but I did raged quit once.

No one. :p

Definitively when I hit Justice with the triple red shells. Two red shells, passed by him then I went reverse to hit him with the third one.
:D

Roo

- Mario Kart 64

- Luigi

- Luigi, Dry Bowser

- Probably Mega Mushroom. I loved that thing.

- I hate them all to be honest. I get fucked by them way to often to really "like" them at any level

- Wii Bowser's Castle. GOAT!

- Retro: Grumble Volcano
- Nitro: Bone-Dry Dunes

- Can't remember

- Every day is my worst moment

No one, really. There was a time I really hated Albo but that was more because of the heat of the moment. We're cool now.

- I don't rage quit.

- No one. Actually, if it weren't because of this community, I wouldn't be playing this game.
Offline is a joke and WW is too broken to be even remotely fun. Plus I can't stand people's incompetence sooo.

- Trolling Enforced with triple red shells everytime I can :3

#funstuffmustread

Burning Justice

the superior princess

Mario Kart 64. Had an SNES when I was a kid, but never got SMK.

Bowser, Daisy, Diddy Kong

Bowser, Daisy, Link

Boo, Bowser Shell

Star, I guess. Only in 200cc, though.

Wario Colosseum from Double Dash, Waluigi Pinball from DS, Maple Treeway from Wii

DK Jungle, Bowser's Castle, Wild Woods

Don't think anything will ever top this:

mushroomimsxz.gif

I'm not sure if it's quite the worst, but that shortcut fail on Big Blue the other day is up there.

No one in particular...

No one.

No one.

Can't think of anything in particular. I'm not going to say I NEVER play dirty, but I don't think I've done anything quite as bad as SOME people in this community... lol

Exentryk

- MK64

- Yoshi

- Morton / Rosalina

- Bullet Bill

- Bullet Bill

- I don't know any old tracks :s

- Wild Woods currently.

8. Which players in this community actually pissed you off and make to your rivals/enemies list?
- None pissed me off. But Justice is a good rival, mainly coz he also uses a bike and we can compare our lines and what not. Merrick is also good like that.

9. Whom do you really hate to race against in this community?
- None.

10. Whom do you really enjoy to race against in this commmunity?
- Justice, Roo, ffdgh, Merrick.

11. Confession time for members here! What is worse thing that you ever done to neogaffers in the races?
- I'm not evil. The worst I've done is probably back green someone that is recovering as I passed them coz they were in first :p

Azure J

Mario Kart 64

Super Mario Kart: Toad
Mario Kart 64: Toad, Yoshi
Mario Kart Super Circuit: Toad, Yoshi
Mario Kart Double Dash: Baby Bowser + Waluigi
Mario Kart DS: Toad
Mario Kart Wii: Toad, Rosalina
Mario Kart 8: Rosalina, Toad

Rosalina

C H I K O B O Y S

Super Mario Kart: Star
Mario Kart 64: Star/Green Shells
Mario Kart Super Circuit: Red Shells (motion sensor shells <3)
Mario Kart Double Dash: Giant Bowser Shell & Bob-omb hence my combo in that game
Mario Kart DS: Green shells
Mario Kart Wii: Green Shells

Star, Horn, Green Shells and Bob-ombs

Wario Colosseum (GCN)
Wario Stadium (MK64)
Lakeside Park (Super Circuit)
Bowser's Castle 4 (Super Circuit)
Rainbow Road (Super Circuit)
Waluigi Pinball (MKDS)
Mario Circuit 4 (SMK)

I did a tier list a why back (that needs updating), but if I had to pick the absolute bests, it'd be a six way tie between Ribbon Road, Rainbow Road 64, Super Bell Subway, Dragon Driftway, Mute City and Bowser's Castle.

To this day, that 6 or 7 long chain of bump boosts Papercuts and I cooperated and pulled of during the early meta GAFcc 150cc Frantic Mode meta on Rainbow Road 8 stands out as the moment of the Nintendo console generation for me.

Every time I front run Big Blue knowing most certainly that I will never see a first place win on that stage whenever the room is full.

Alternatively: Every time Baby Park is picked.

FUCK HYPNO

Merrick, Roo, Justice and ffdgh are my "highest level of Mario Kart" goals. Then you have weirdos like Coaster, Mr.Panic, and Zoey who insist on doing the single thing to get me most heated in a moment's notice.

FUCK HYPNO

Papercuts has to mentioned here because while he's a frenemy now, when I was originally learning this game he made me hate all Waluigis by proxy. Beyond that though, no one is actually a legit enemy so much as they fuck me and prompt a response. You know, "do unto others" and all that jazz.

FUCK HYPNO

And then there's you IntelliHeath from who items spring forth upon me like an outpouring of a cornucopia bestowed upon me by the goddess "Gitfuk'd" and I have to hold more hitstun than I've taken in my 13 years of playing Smash Bros. and 2 years of Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

JC ain't shit

Roo a few times. One of which resulted in a legendary popoff earlier in this thread.

No one! :D

I feel like I should have some of these to share but I actively can't recall anything right now. Go figure.

And answered.

Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Mario

Link

Fake Item Box, I love to place them among with other item boxes so I can screw other players that way

Star

Rock Rock Mountain

Wild Woods

Everytime I get first place in KartGAF :)

Everytime I get "Mario Karted" right before finish line

Azure, Heath, and Oriso (a member here but haven't posted)

No one, the rage actually calm me, I could go on for hours till room dies

No one, if I actually do hate someone here, I wouldn't race against you guys, I actually love KartGAF so much that I always look forward to racing almost every night.

I must admit that I do screw Azure sometime just to get his salt flowing, I also tend to save the lightning till the moment where everyone are in gliding mode then BOOM!

DONE! :) Now I'm waiting to see if I'm now a target for future races...

Top Bottom