• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

Re: 150cc

Wait, why the fuck are we starting off these sessions in our 150cc Frantic room? How the fuck does that even make sense? Unlike 200cc, 150cc WW rooms are active as hell. Yeah, it's Normal, not Frantic. Wouldn't it still make a lot more sense to try 150cc in a WW room, AKA a full room, instead of hoping people join 150cc Frantic?

Because with 150cc you really need a near-full room for things to be even a little bit exciting.

I don't really care one way or another though. I can do both.

Roo

This is a pretty accurate assessment of how I felt at the time lol

I think it was Andy that threw that. He's done that a couple of times, gets me every time lol

I know! Most of the times I screwed up didn't really matter since I was either behind anyway or so far ahead it didn't make a difference, but on that one I just choked.

I don't think I'll ever do well on Dragon Driftway or Neo Bowser City as long as I main inside drift. I can do fine on both with outside drift, but on the whole I'm nowhere near as good with outside drift as I am with inside drift, so...

The parts of the course that sink into the lava in Grumble Volcano seem to throw me off a lot. I always seem to forget when the parts sink.

I'm not quite as consistent as I'd like to be with the shroomless shortcut in Yoshi Circuit, but it's still worth taking even if I screw it up once or twice. The rest of the course is easy.

And yeah, as long as someone's interested in seeing them, I'll keep doing this.

I honestly don't understand how everyone seems to have problems driving on Neo Bowser City. Even outside drifters. It's definitely not as slippery as Winter AC and those S turns aren't that hard.
Probably it's because I've loved that track since MK7 so the transition was easier, idk lol
I'd love to read Exentryk's take on this as he's another great bike user.

And yeah, in Grumble Volcano I noticed the last sinking rock is the most problematic for you.
You seem to take a wide turn to drift and part of that wide turn takes place on the sinking rock.
You're fine the first two laps but just avoid it altogether in the final one. Maybe taking the turn without drift?

Re: 150cc

Wait, why the fuck are we starting off these sessions in our 150cc Frantic room? How the fuck does that even make sense? Unlike 200cc, 150cc WW rooms are active as hell. Yeah, it's Normal, not Frantic. Wouldn't it still make a lot more sense to try 150cc in a WW room, AKA a full room, instead of hoping people join 150cc Frantic?

Because with 150cc you really need a near-full room for things to be even a little bit exciting.

I don't really care one way or another though. I can do both.

The only guy asking for normal 150cc rooms is Jorge. It's been like that since launch lol
He'd play itemless if it were up to him lol. He seems to take the skilled/competitive thing too seriously.
I don't blame him tho. Random WW lobbies are shit.

There have been plenty of people who pop in wanting 150cc. The problem is that everyone goes away after like 2 posts and never shows up again. lol

Also, the reason NBC is hard on a bike isn't really because of the turns. It's because of fuckwads who bump you on the turns as they take a line that will send them crashing into the wall or flying off the course. And bikes are a lot more vulnerable to that bullshit than karts are. Learn to fucking drive guys, god. :X

EDIT: Also the real reason I wanted to do 150cc was so I could firehop and demonslide against the bike users here. :p

Enforced

i am planning to join this community once i get home. What's the code for the gaf community?
Is on the OT. You need to quote to see the code. We're doing frantic 200cc. We're more active on Friday and this weekend between 7pm-12-am Pacific time. Just keep an eye on this thread.

Roo

There have been plenty of people who pop in wanting 150cc. The problem is that everyone goes away after like 2 posts and never shows up again. lol

Also, the reason NBC is hard on a bike isn't really because of the turns. It's because of fuckwads who bump you on the turns as they take a line that will send them crashing into the wall or flying off the course. And bikes are a lot more vulnerable to that bullshit than karts are. Learn to fucking drive guys, god. :X

EDIT: Also the real reason I wanted to do 150cc was so I could firehop and demonslide against the bike users here. :p

Even tho that's a valid reason, it is definitely not Justice's case
I also completely forgot how to firehop. The other day's room was painful. To that, add the fact that I drifted too early in every turn. Total mess.
Nevermind.

If there's something Super Mario Maker taught me is that people have no fucking clue about how to create and design a level. 9 out of 10 levels in the game are trash. From a gameplay and visual point of view and I'm only talking about a 2D, sprite-based game.
Just imagine the crap that would come out of it if people had the power to edit stuff in a 3D space with models, polygons and such. Good Lord...

As for what I personally want from the next MK game?
A Double Dash sequel. Keep the anti-gravity, gliding and underwater mechanics but add the two characters per kart one. Wouldn't it look crazy fun?
A decent roster and GCN Wario Colosseum. No Wario Colosseum in MK8 must be the worst crime against humanity we have ever witnessed.

Enforced

Stop stalking me, roo. >.<
Just look for the high rating that lot of people really like. :p
Also that would be awesome if we had the power to edit 3D stuff.

Roo

Stop stalking me, roo. >.<
Just look for the high rating that lot of people really like. :p
Also that would be awesome if we had the power to edit 3D stuff.

I'm talking about the 100 Mario Challenge stuff where you face random levels from players in order to unlock costumes.

Even tho that's a valid reason, it is definitely not Justice's case
*watches latest video* ...You're right, my reasoning only applies if you can do those turns relatively consistently, which he apparently has issues doing for some reason. My bad.

Justice, do you have a braking strategy for those sharp turns or do you just wing it?

I also completely forgot how to firehop. The other day's room was painful. To that, add the fact that I drifted too early in every turn. Total mess.
I've been firehopping and demonsliding since I got the game last October so I don't even know how to forget it. Like I was rusty but when I practiced a few days ago it only took me about half an hour until I "remembered" how to do those things.

Exentryk

Here's the video from last night, if anyone is interested in seeing things from my perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZel9LXiiKI

It's almost 3 hours long! Haven't had a chance to go through it myself yet, so no highlights this time, but maybe I'll edit some into this post later.

EDIT: Here's several highlights that I remember, if you don't feel like watching the whole thing:

12:05 - Here's the race Nathan wanted. On the third lap I screw up and accidentally use a horn early right when he has a blue shell. Then I get triple-redded into oblivion.
1:10:19 - Exentryk stars a lightning
1:24:16 - Clutch Bullet Bill
1:30:08 - Exentryk stars a lightning... again
1:41:38 - Bullet Bill has my back again
1:46:23 - Everything goes to shit after about two laps
2:02:12 - Poor Exentryk :(
2:24:07 - Exentryk stars a lightning... yet again

Hah, some good races in there. Don't think I've ever had that many lightning dodges in a single session ever lol.
Thanks for sharing.

Exentryk

I honestly don't understand how everyone seems to have problems driving on Neo Bowser City. Even outside drifters. It's definitely not as slippery as Winter AC and those S turns aren't that hard.
Probably it's because I've loved that track since MK7 so the transition was easier, idk lol
I'd love to read Exentryk's take on this as he's another great bike user.

That track is crap. I don't really fall off the track or anything (unless someone bumps me), but my speed hax just doesn't work in that track. :(

I probably just brake too much on the turns.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
*watches latest video* ...You're right, my reasoning only applies if you can do those turns relatively consistently, which he apparently has issues doing for some reason. My bad.

Justice, do you have a braking strategy for those sharp turns or do you just wing it?

All I know is, I don't have to brake anywhere near as hard on those turns with a kart as I have to with a bike. I just can't turn sharply enough on a bike without braking hard on that last turn. And that problem gets worse when I use heavy characters.

I can't watch the video at the moment, so I don't know if it shows how I usually take it or if I just screwed up that one time, but maybe there's a better strategy with bikes that I haven't found. Guess I'll try to see if I can find one...

What I do with a heavy on a bike (checked by doing 6 200cc runs of NBC in a row with Dry Bowser):

1) Tap B around first turn to exit it tightly
2) After releasing orange MT, hold down B until after it ends
3) Tap B as needed to exit the 2nd turn tightly
4) Hold B through orange MT and a split-second afterwards and that's generally enough to let me go through the turn at a good speed.

If you fuck up the first turn badly, as in you exit too wide, then just cancel the MT instead of releasing it. If you fuck up the first turn yet go with the MT anyways then you'll fuck up the 2nd turn and that in turn will mean you'll fuck up the 3rd turn. It's faster to just give up the MT so you can do the next two turns properly.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Huh... Maybe I am braking more than I need to.

Hard to tell if this is faster than a kart could take it without facing a competent kart player, though.

Hah, some good races in there. Don't think I've ever had that many lightning dodges in a single session ever lol.
Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I thought that was funny. Almost made me think people were doing it intentionally lol

Roo

Huh... Maybe I am braking more than I need to.

Hard to tell if this is faster than a kart could take it without facing a competent kart player, though.

Yeah, I thought that was funny. Almost made me think people were doing it intentionally lol
The last sharp turn before the.. tunnel? Is definitely the worst.
You almost fall twice there.

I think he needs to focus on exiting the first and second turns tighter. That is really the key to this track, along with holding down B throughout both orange MTs so that you don't go WHEEEEEEEE right off the track.

Burning Justice

the superior princess

It's because my positioning after the second turn was bad. I need to be as close to the left edge as possible and at the right angle after the second turn in order to take the third turn well.

It's as Nathan said. If I'd taken the first and second turns better, I'd have taken the third one better too.

Roo

It's because my positioning after the second turn was bad. I need to be as close to the left edge as possible and at the right angle after the second turn in order to take the third turn well.

It's as Nathan said. If I'd taken the first and second turns better, I'd have taken the third one better too.

Let's see how it goes this weekend.
I'll vote for NBC everytime it shows up just for you :3

Enforced

Let's see how it goes this weekend.
I'll vote for NBC everytime it shows up just for you :3
Will-Smith-Yelling-No-I-Am-Legend.gif

Roo

You can tell Wario is evil because his tracks in this game are hard as hell in 200cc. Fuck them both.

Mount Wario and Wario's Gold Mine are easy tho lol
I want Nintendo bring back Wario stadium from 64 for the next game. I really like that track.

I wanted that track so bad for this game back when we still didn't know about all the retro tracks but once we played it, I thought they made the right call by using DS WS instead.

N64 WS *literally* would look the same as DS WS does now but with a single lap and using the same song as Royal Raceway.

My definition of doing Mount Wario is being able to go to the right of all the trees consistently. So yes, doing Mount Wario is hard as hell. No actually the real reason I hate that track is because I always get trolled on it for some reason. Not sure if I've ever had a troll-free race on that track.

And Wario Goldmine is a track I forgot about but fuck that one too because of assholes who place banana peels in the dips of the track or after you come up that steep climb and can't see anything.
Only I can do that you fucks!

EDIT: Yeah, Wario Stadium would have its iconic "Miss and you're fucked" jump ruined, the bumps turned into easy boosts, and so on.

Enforced

Roo. I saw your post that you borrowed the 3DS. Do you have luigi mansion dark moon? If so, do want to play multiplayer this weekend?
Edit: nevermind i misread it. But still. :p

Roo

Roo. I saw your post that you borrowed the 3DS. Do you have luigi mansion dark moon? If so, do want to play multiplayer this weekend?
Edit: nevermind i misread it. But still. :p

My sister is coming to visit me next friday, I'll ask her to bring the 3DS with her.
Also, I bought Luigi's Mansion at launch and played before I gave the 3DS to her but she said she wasn't into that game at all so I don't know if she sold it/traded it in to get something else. Will ask her and in case she still has it then sure, we can play.

Enforced

My sister is coming to visit me next friday, I'll ask her to bring the 3DS with her.
Also, I bought Luigi's Mansion at launch and played before I gave the 3DS to her but she said she wasn't into that game at all so I don't know if she sold it/traded it in to get something else. Will ask her and in case she still has it then sure, we can play.
Ok. Hope she still have it. I think I gave my paper mario thousand year door to my cousin and I regreted it. Hopefully, Nintendo will re-release it on VC for the next console. I don't mind the lack of HD. :p

I feel like the original luigi mansion is the third game I played that felt out of the place. I don't know what words to describe it. It doesn't mean the bad thing. It felt too different from other games I've played. Somewhat shares the same magic like majora's mask does.
I remember
I cried when see Luigi started to tear and then laughed at the same time. Feels like a huge accomplishment on rescuing Mario. Pretty heartwarming ending.
Edit: oh yeah the ground theme that was played in backward was great.
Edit2:
I know I'm random. :p

Enforced

I hope they will bring back Kalimari Desert (N64) again. I love watching online players stop before the railroad when the train is passing by. Made me chuckle every time.

That track is on my "Fuck no" list, along with Toad Circuit, Luigi Raceway, and SNES Rainbow Road.

My "Fuck no" list is way bigger in MK8 though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think we might have a full room tomorrow night since I think I got some gaffers to play with us for mario kart reunion tomorrow (or Saturday) but no promise!

Top Bottom