• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Hasney

So Game and Grainger had no idea on prices, Argos said they were selling the game online only (although that may change once it's actually released) and Supermarkets were a no go.

Guess I'll just have to hope my housemate wakes up tomorrow if Amazon get around to actually sending the game out.

hwy_61

Banned
Alright, so I'm a bit confused about the club nintendo deal, and because that one guy a couple pages back fucked up and registered the game early, it kinda freaked me out. So, here's my question:

Since the game unlocks 12am EST on 5-30, that means I can theoretically buy and download the game on 5-29 at 11PM CST, right? Ok, so if I buy the game at 11PM CST, will I ruin the club nintendo promo? Should I play it safe and buy it the morning of 5-30?

Anyone?

Blade25

Dang! Being in a UTC+10 time zone sucks! It'll be 5/30 in less than a few hours and I still won't be able to access it due to being with the US Eshop! I wish Nintendo would let us pre-load since downloading will take forever >_<

Had a blast last night online, well happy with coming 1st on Rainbow Road using the motion controls. Seem to be holding my own pretty well with them, but almost everyone I play uses standard controls. BORING!

It's weird going back to the Wii Wheel though after using the Gamepad motion controls to steer, keep forgetting the jump button is on the opposite side.

hwy_61

Banned
I can't speak for the US, but in the UK, it's not "registered" until you do the survey on the Club Nintendo website.

If you guys have surveys too, I imagine the same is true.

Ah I see. For some reason I was under the impression that when you buy a retail game on the eshop, it automatically registered it on club Nintendo.

Just got done playing for a good few hours, 3-starred everything through Banana Cup and 2-starred Star Cup because of a single dumb mistake. My initial impressions:

- MK 8 feels... different, different enough that being really good at MK DS and MK 7 does not guarantee you'll be good at MK 8 right out of the gate. It takes some adjusting for sure.

- The AI can be (and usually is) an asshole in terms of screwing you out of your 3-star rank with last-minute Red and Blue Shells. That... has not changed one bit.

- Blue Shells, though, do seem to show up quite a bit less often than they have in the last couple games in the series, so that's a very good thing.

- However, because you can't hold more than one item and the item you usually get when you're in first is the Coin, Red Shells may as well be Blue Shells now if you're in first and defenseless (which you often/usually will be).

- You HAVE to place 1st in every race in a cup to get 3 stars, no exception. It doesn't even seem to really matter how well or badly you drive anymore; it's all up to your placement in each race.

- The AI in general is more difficult than I recall, even outside of item dickery. 150cc puts up a considerable fight, more than I was expecting considering the last couple games in the series.

- MK 8's Flower Cup and Star Cup are two of the best cups in Mario Kart series history. These are some FANTASTIC courses.

- Shy Guy Falls, Toad Harbor, Sunshine Airport, and Mount Wario are my favorite courses so far. They're honestly some of the best courses Mario Kart has ever had.

- I still hate N64 Toad's Turnpike and GCN Dry Dry Desert. I'm also unexpectedly disappointed with Dolphin Shoals.

- I really don't like only being able to hold one item at a time. It encourages safe, conservative, ultra-defensive play in a way not ever seen in the series before.

- The Super Horn doesn't show up anywhere near often enough for it to be considered a serious Blue Shell killer, especially in first place (where you'd naturally need it most). More often than not, it shows up when you're in the middle of the pack, and you have to fight your way to 1st without using any items in order to have it on standby for a Blue Shell.

- MK 8 has a great sense of speed at 150cc, much more so than in MK 7 (which always felt too slow to me).

- The graphics and music are just stunning. Absolutely stunning. This genuinely looks and feels next-gen to me.

- The Nintendo staff ghosts for the time trials (which you get stamps for beating) are generally very easy to beat.

- Online play feels great. Just played with 11 Japanese people and experienced zero lag (I'm in Los Angeles).

That's all for now!

StayDead

- I really don't like only being able to hold one item at a time. It encourages safe, conservative, ultra-defensive play in a way not ever seen in the series before.

I don't get this, because to me I feel it's the opposite.

It means there's an actual risk of using an item in first and leaves a vunerability rather than the guy infront always having two defensive options.

Dumping an item in first to hopefully get a speaker is a HUUUGE risk now since you can't get one while having a bannana/shell out.

It also punishes you for holding on to your green shell/red shell/bannana shield for too long as you get no other items in the process.

Zing

Banned
I was ambivalent about pink gold peach until I actually saw her in action. It's ridiculous. Metal Mario is bad, but at least he is a "real" character.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This bike, I want it:
dmm27FY.png

I don't get this, because to me I feel it's the opposite.

It means there's an actual risk of using an item in first and leaves a vunerability rather than the guy infront always having two defensive options.

Dumping an item in first to hopefully get a speaker is a HUUUGE risk now since you can't get one while having a bannana/shell out.

It also punishes you for holding on to your green shell/red shell/bannana shield for too long as you get no other items in the process.

Except when I'm near the front of the pack, I'm liable to never use a shell or banana peel if I get one because I know if I do, I'll more than likely just get a coin for my next item, ultimately screwing me. It just makes me want to hoard whatever I get whenever I'm near the front. Being able to lay well-placed banana peels was one of the best parts about being in first place - it actually gave you a way to hold off those behind you in anticipation of a Blue Shell hit.

Copenap

I'm going to try it in an hour anyways but I thought I might as well ask now, could be of interest to other folk as well. If you're doing 2p online, what happens to the second player. Does he also have a score? Do you need a second account on the console?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just got done playing for a good few hours, 3-starred everything through Banana Cup and 2-starred Star Cup because of a single dumb mistake. My initial impressions:

- MK 8 feels... different, different enough that being really good at MK DS and MK 7 does not guarantee you'll be good at MK 8 right out of the gate. It takes some adjusting for sure.

- The AI can be (and usually is) an asshole in terms of screwing you out of your 3-star rank with last-minute Red and Blue Shells. That... has not changed one bit.

- Blue Shells, though, do seem to show up quite a bit less often than they have in the last couple games in the series, so that's a very good thing.

- However, because you can't hold more than one item and the item you usually get when you're in first is the Coin, Red Shells may as well be Blue Shells now if you're in first and defenseless (which you often/usually will be).

- You HAVE to place 1st in every race in a cup to get 3 stars, no exception. It doesn't even seem to really matter how well or badly you drive anymore; it's all up to your placement in each race.

- The AI in general is more difficult than I recall, even outside of item dickery. 150cc puts up a considerable fight, more than I was expecting considering the last couple games in the series.

- MK 8's Flower Cup and Star Cup are two of the best cups in Mario Kart series history. These are some FANTASTIC courses.

- Shy Guy Falls, Toad Harbor, Sunshine Airport, and Mount Wario are my favorite courses so far. They're honestly some of the best courses Mario Kart has ever had.

- I still hate N64 Toad's Turnpike and GCN Dry Dry Desert. I'm also unexpectedly disappointed with Dolphin Shoals.

- The Super Horn doesn't show up anywhere near often enough for it to be considered a serious Blue Shell killer, especially in first place (where you'd naturally need it most). More often than not, it shows up when you're in the middle of the pack, and you have to fight your way to 1st without using any items in order to have it on standby for a Blue Shell.

- MK 8 has a great sense of speed at 150cc, much more so than in MK 7 (which always felt too slow to me).

- The graphics and music are just stunning. Absolutely stunning. This genuinely looks and feels next-gen to me.

- The Nintendo staff ghosts for the time trials (which you get stamps for beating) are generally very easy to beat.

- Online play feels great. Just played with 11 Japanese people and experienced zero lag (I'm in Los Angeles).

That's all for now!

Good impressions.

A bit disappointed to hear about the red/blue shell issue if you're in first place. How did you find the rubber banding. Did you notice anyone who shouldn't of been able to pass you when you were in first place suddenly whizzing past you near the finishing line?

Sorry but I have to disagree. Just did two Grand Prix in 150CC, and while sometimes you get hit two or three times in a row by racers passing you (which can alway happen in any Mario Kart), most of the times staying in firt place is quite managable. At least that is the impression I have so far. Overall I feel the game and items are so mich better balanced this time around.

Have to disagree with this. Your experience is at complete odds with mine.

I played about 8 hours yesterday and have so far 2-starred all the 150cc cups and played a ton of online. The GP is the fairest it's been in the entire series. I have consistently found that my rivals the first two races can dynamically change to new rivals for the last two, as opposed to the same old 2-3 racers who will stick with you throughout.

Likewise, the items are wonderfully balanced now. I regularly received red shells, mushrooms, and more while in first place. Drop down to 3rd and you're likely to see even greater rewards. Of course there is still the chance of receiving an unwanted item (the coin is not entirely useless), but that's Mario Kart. Your statement about 'ALWAYS' needing something to defend yourself with is untrue. There are large stretches when no homing item will be in play at all, not to mention that with the new courses red shells frequently destroy themselves against walls/cars/obstacles.

Holy shit, you are lucky then. Thats what I got yesterday. I cant get the banana cup in 150cc becuase of what I commented, ive never yet seen a mushroom in first place so im sorry I cant say that is true. Also the CPU for me has never changed its positions once they are set in the first race of that cup, and Ive repeated that cup 10 times already.
As I say, you may have experienced that, but if experienced totally the opposite. Coins, coins and nothing but coins. No once Ive got a mushroom in first place, ive got some on third place.
Blue shells have of course been balanced, same with the lighning bolt, but the way the not having 2 items plays now makes the cpu having always advantage with red shells.
As I said, I also have been 5th and 7th when I get knocked down, and after 3 hours of those same races, I havent gotten the star, golden mushroom, bullet bill or lucky 8. Not getting the lucky 8 or bullet bill is normal. But no golden mushroom and stars? getting a banana or one shitty mushroom going 7th place? Ive experienced that many times already.

Mario kart 8 now uses more strategic defensive gameplay, maybe I still need to change the chip and thats why I find the CPU so hard right now (although im pretty sure yesterday I already started to play defensevely with no results), but I can vouch for myself what I saw yesterday. Hoping if what both of you say its true that it was only a strike of bad luck and my playsession today turns better.

Well, I wasn't fully drunk. :p But I was kind of driving in slow motion. I just couldn't wait until today to try the game.

The music is really great. The game looks gorgeous on my projector.

I fully disagree. I was last night half drunk and I had no big issue competing in 150cc against AI. Surely, I didn't win a lot, but it always seemed fair. And I got a lot of different items. I played 3 cups and I got during this time all of the new items.

Well, thats the problem, Im speaking of winning races and gold cups, not getting seconds and thirds and winning silvers.
Of course playing normally against the cpu is managable. Also ive seen people playing drunk doing great in these games, so thats not an excuse.

StayDead

One thing I've definately noticed is the Red Shells AI seems worse and for the better. It can't follow you forever like it could in MK7 and you can even trick them with good driving.

xandaca

Mine's still processing with Zavvi (UK), so will probably get early next week. Given that a piece of DLC has been announced, were additional retro tracks to be added, what eight (assuming, from the additional spacing on the track select screen, that eight retro and eight new courses could be on the way) would you like to see?

Baby Park (GCN)
Koopa Troopa Beach (N64)
Wuhu Loop (3DS)
Airship Fortress (DS)

Lakeside Park (GBA)
Shy Guy Bazaar (3DS)
Moonview Highway (Wii)
Banshee Boardwalk (N64)

Zing

Banned
Well, thats the problem, Im speaking of winning races and gold cups, not getting seconds and thirds and winning silvers.
Of course playing normally against the cpu is managable. Also ive seen people playing drunk doing great in these games, so thats not an excuse.
What if you never earn the gold in 150cc? Is it assumed that everyone should be able to do so?

Are there no unlockable expert ghosts this time? I guess there is always other players instead.

In MKW I found I could beat the regular ghosts using auto turning and peach in the red car but I never got good enough to beat the expert ones.

Rnr1224

Cant wait to finally be able to download this game at midnight tonight! too bad i have to work till 7 tomorrow before i can even play it!

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I'm truly amazed by Mario Kart 8. Graphics, presentation, gameplay.... even playing online ran near perfect (for now).

I bought the Wii U just for this game and I have no regrets. Can't wait to play more later.

ruie

it's probably a silly question but I'll do it anyway: can't wait for tomorrow and thinking about the time I'll be spending karting I prefer having it on disk, instead of physical. I'll buy it online as 00:01 tonight. Do I still have a code for downloading the extra game in Europe?

Davey Cakes

My copy is in transit. Yay.

Weird that I got the notification at 3am....

Anyway, on schedule for delivery tomorrow. Now I can stop worrying.

Mine's still processing with Zavvi (UK), so will probably get early next week. Given that a piece of DLC has been announced, were additional retro tracks to be added, what eight (assuming, from the additional spacing on the track select screen, that eight retro and eight new courses could be on the way) would you like to see?

Baby Park (GCN)
Koopa Troopa Beach (N64)
Wuhu Loop (3DS)
Airship Fortress (DS)

Lakeside Park (GBA)
Shy Guy Bazaar (3DS)
Moonview Highway (Wii)
Banshee Boardwalk (N64)

Mushroom Gorge from the Wii MK was one of my favourites, as was Toad Factory, so definitely those. The pinball track from DS was also a good one from what I remember.

If there's any DLC, I'd prefer new tracks over old however.

Anyway, I received mine from ShopTo today; played a few tracks, looks and sounds great. Controls took me a bit of getting used to, but I've not played Mario Kart since the Wii game quite a few years ago.

Domstercool

Ah. That's a strange offer.

Thanks.

That is indeed the offer.
Super Nintendo classic Super Mario Kart* will release on Nintendo eShop** as a Wii U Virtual Console title on 27th March. As part of a promotion to celebrate both this legendary title and Mario Kart 8, fans who purchase Super Mario Kart until June 30th 2014 can get a discount of £5.49 on Mario Kart 8 if they purchase it on Nintendo eShop from the release of the game until June 30th, 2014, providing the purchase takes place on the same Wii U console.

Top Bottom