• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Mik3F

Anyone in the UK received their copy from Shopto this morning? My postman isn't due for another hour or so, but I would love it if he was carrying this!

I know people have received theirs from them this morning. My postman doesn't arrive until lunch / after lunch. The kids have been told to let me know once the post has been

Anyone in the UK received their copy from Shopto this morning? My postman isn't due for another hour or so, but I would love it if he was carrying this!

Had mine turn up around 9:40.

Still shook that I actually came second and not first in a 100cc cup for the first time in years thanks to magical Roy Koopa and his suspicious bursts of speed and of course the classic last lap blue shell.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You were using the wheel right? That was probably hilarious to see :p

Well, I wasn't fully drunk. :p But I was kind of driving in slow motion. I just couldn't wait until today to try the game.

The music is really great. The game looks gorgeous on my projector.

Holy shit been playing like 3 hours 150CC and the rubberbanding is atrocious.
The CPU always uses waluigi, peach and larry, and the majority of time tries to be infront of you.
The first race is always easy, 1st without a problem yadda yadda, but the CPU tries to put this 3 guys or any of the babies just behind you just as you touch the finish line, what that means is that the next 3 races those 3 guys are going to kill everything on the road to go after you, with magic mushrooms up their ass even with them in 2nd and 3rd places. But oh, dont fall behind becuase you inmediately will be in the middle of the pack without chance of victory being massacred by the rest of the CPUs, maybe you get a good object behind the pack you say? Not a chance, enjoy your shitty bananas and green shells going on 5th-7th place. I still havent seen (used by me I mean, ive seen the cpu using plenty of this) the star, bullet bill, lucky 8 or even golden mushroom.

And the coin is the worst piece of worthless shitty item it has ever graced mario kart. If you are first place and you get a coin you are royally fucked. This game doesnt let you have 2 objects at the same time, so every box in the circuit is valuable, you miss one, you missuse an object... you are fucked in 150CC. You will pray that the box gives you a banana peel (or any other shell) when going first place because defense in Mario Kart 8 is of major importance. If you get the trumpet, you are a lucky man.
What the CPU does is have always a character that will get a red shell when you pass every group of boxes (and that red shell will usually go after you), so you need something to defend yourself ALWAYS when in first place.
Yep, red shells are you worst enemy here, blues are not so bad now with the trumpet object and the lightning fucks everyone, but if you are hit with a red shell during the last lap, even at the beggining of that lap, you can say goodbye to the first place and probably the gold trophy.

Reminds me of the shitty F-Zero GX CPU, although in that one you could at least kill the people directly behind you in points so you could win easily.
I dont remember Mario Kart 7's rubberbanding being that bad.

I fully disagree. I was last night half drunk and I had no big issue competing in 150cc against AI. Surely, I didn't win a lot, but it always seemed fair. And I got a lot of different items. I played 3 cups and I got during this time all of the new items.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Had mine turn up around 9:40.

Still shook that I actually came second and not first in a 100cc cup for the first time in years thanks to magical Roy Koopa and his suspicious bursts of speed and of course the classic last lap blue shell.

I thought I read somewhere that they rubber-banding was pretty much gone which is what I was hoping for. From what you've just said it's still in the game. How bad is it?

Robin64

Does anyone know if you get to set an 'in game name' / file name or does your Mii name automatically get used? I want to know what I'll show up as online. Might set up a new Mii account so I can appear as my GAF username.

It's your Mii's name, so you can just rename him.

Woffls

Got my copy from The Game Collection this morning. Played a few cups and it's fine, the tracks are cool, but Mario Kart single player still isn't my thing.

Not that bothered by the 64th frame thing. I don't notice it unless I look for it, and there's not really much time to stop and stare in Mario Kart.

Craft

If you want an extra download, may as well do that and register the code to a new Club Nintendo account and then sell the physical one.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, should be able to get about £30 for it used.
So £70 for MK8 + 2 other games, and all the limited edition extras (Shell, Keyring, T-shirt) isn't too bad a deal.

Yeah there's a tracking number, I just hope they used the next day service.
Count yourself lucky, mine hasn't even been dispatched yet! The money came out of my account on the 24th but my order has been stuck on 'processing' all week.

Yeah I just got the confirmation of despatch from Nintendo. On or before the 3rd June, delivery by Yodel, not DHL. Tracking isn't working yet.

Fuck you Nintendo.

Probably gonna have to cancel my Mario Kart party now.

Hasney

Yeah that's what I was thinking, should be able to get about £30 for it used.
So £70 for MK8 + 2 other games, and all the limited edition extras (Shell, Keyring, T-shirt) isn't too bad a deal.

CEX say they give £29, so yeah, pretty much on the money.

Zafir

Do yodel even do 5 day service?

I think Nintendo/the hut may have just left their usual 5 day regular delivery expectation on the email.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah I just got the confirmation of despatch from Nintendo. On or before the 3rd June, delivery by Yodel, not DHL. Tracking isn't working yet.

Fuck you Nintendo.

Probably gonna have to cancel my Mario Kart party now.

Cancel your order and pop to the shops.

I thought I read somewhere that they rubber-banding was pretty much gone which is what I was hoping for. From what you've just said it's still in the game. How bad is it?

I'm really not sure, only on 100cc so far and I've had the sort of races that are borderline time trials because the CPU put up little fight, I almost managed to lap last place on Moo Moo Meadows.
And then on a few rarer occasions it just sometimes seems like second and third place suddenly shoot back up in the third lap and twice so far I've lost what looked to be a clear first place position because second place suddenly appeared out of nowhere right before the finish line and just zoomed past despite being seemingly absent the entire lap, I guess I can't disprove the use of a mushroom or slipstream without me ever noticing but I guess 150cc will be the real test here to see if there is some rubber banding in place.

Still no email or whatsoever from Nintendo store. I guess I'll just grab one from my local GAME tomorrow and sell (or 'return' to GAME) the one from Nintendo :(

I can't speak with too much authority on this, but I didn't notice any really dreadful rubber-banding last night. Caveat: played through three cups on 50cc for the kids, so haven't had chance to test any of the faster classes, and noticing finer details is a little tricky when you're being asked to "PICK PEACH! USE THE BIKE!" :)

Taking the lead and racing well puts you far ahead of everyone else, but if you're unlucky enough to get hit with a blue shell, lightning and a red shell in relatively quick succession (as I was on DK Jungle) then your lead evaporates fairly quickly ;-) There may well be rubber-banding - or more noticeable rubber-banding - on 100/150cc, but I won't get chance to check them until later.

Shahadan

Mushrooms are a lot more common than before and I often get them even on 2nd or 3rd place. Also CPU uses aspiration to boost itself, which is fair game :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah. It's always cheaper on their website vs in store.

if it is £40 in GAME I'll buy it physically (have a preorder, plus 20% extra when trading in some games). If it is £50 in GAME but £40 on the eshop, I'll just buy £40 of vouchers from GAME and download it.

Count yourself lucky, mine hasn't even been dispatched yet! The money came out of my account on the 24th but my order has been stuck on 'processing' all week.

When did you order? I ordered on March 6th, they took payment on the 23rd May and I got my dispatch email this morning

Still no email or whatsoever from Nintendo store. I guess I'll just grab one from my local GAME tomorrow and sell (or 'return' to GAME) the one from Nintendo :(

If you ordered the limited edition bundle then you won't be able to return that copy in place of the Game copy since it will be a different box.

Think I'm gonna go with the digital version so I get the Premium points from it and also the "Free" Super Mario Kart offer. Gutted I didn't order sooner. Activated a free Amazon Prime trial last night but think it wouldn't be with me until next week.

Was planning I'd get it from my local Asda but they don't sell Wii U stuff at all which is sad.

Woffls

Oh shit I just registered the Club Nintendo PIN and now I'm seeing this message on the Nintendo site. Am I screwed?
With our special Mario Kart 8 Bonus Game Promotion, if you register the PIN code for Mario Kart 8 in Club Nintendo between 10:00 (UK time) on May 30th and 23:59 (UK time) on July 31st, you could claim a free download code for one of a selection of great Wii U games!

cyberheater

I'm really not sure, only on 100cc so far and I've had the sort of races that are borderline time trials because the CPU put up little fight, I almost managed to lap last place on Moo Moo Meadows.
And then on a few rarer occasions it just sometimes seems like second and third place suddenly shoot back up in the third lap and twice so far I've lost what looked to be a clear first place position because second place suddenly appeared out of nowhere right before the finish line and just zoomed past despite being seemingly absent the entire lap, I guess I can't disprove the use of a mushroom or slipstream without me ever noticing but I guess 150cc will be the real test here to see if there is some rubber banding in place.

I can't speak with too much authority on this, but I didn't notice any really dreadful rubber-banding last night. Caveat: played through three cups on 50cc for the kids, so haven't had chance to test any of the faster classes, and noticing finer details is a little tricky when you're being asked to "PICK PEACH! USE THE BIKE!" :)

Taking the lead and racing well puts you far ahead of everyone else, but if you're unlucky enough to get hit with a blue shell, lightning and a red shell in relatively quick succession (as I was on DK Jungle) then your lead evaporates fairly quickly ;-) There may well be rubber-banding - or more noticeable rubber-banding - on 100/150cc, but I won't get chance to check them until later.

I always used to keep a close eye on the mini map thing to see where 2nd place was when I was in the lead and it always disheartened me when they were well behind and basically it was impossible for them to catch up and suddenly they whizzed past me.
I started to realise that the only way to win was to keep back for 2 laps and then go for broke near the end of the last lap. Not a nice way to win really.

if it is £40 in GAME I'll buy it physically (have a preorder, plus 20% extra when trading in some games). If it is £50 in GAME but £40 on the eshop, I'll just buy £40 of vouchers from GAME and download it.

My local indie has it for £40. Have you not got a local indie?
Argos has it for £39.99.

Mik3F

Oh shit I just registered the Club Nintendo PIN and now I'm seeing this message on the Nintendo site. Am I screwed?

Possibly, a polite email to Nintendo may resolve the issue.

i am not registering my code until tomorrow afternoon / evening

sorry to hear but i'm guessing your screwed, wasn't gaf warning everyone not to register early? why not wait until the games release date?
i really hope they let you have the free game, you might have to call them to explain

I always used to keep a close eye on the mini map thing to see where 2nd place was when I was in the lead and it always disheartened me when they were well behind and basically it was impossible for them to catch up and suddenly they whizzed past me.
I started to realise that the only way to win was to keep back for 2 laps and then go for broke near the end of the last lap. Not a nice way to win really.

As I said, I can't say for certain, but it seems better. When I get chance to play alone tonight I'll have another look. I can switch the map on to the pad and keep an eye as I play - no chance of doing that with the kids about, as they're having too much fun honking the horn button on the pad while I try to drive... :)

Craft

When did you order? I ordered on March 6th, they took payment on the 23rd May and I got my dispatch email this morning

Ah looks like I may be a day behind you then. Ordered on March 7th and they took payment on the 24th May, so I'll probably get the confirmation email tomorrow :D

Edit: Just got the confirmation email literally seconds after buying a download code on Game. Estimated delivery date on or before the 3rd of June!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My local indie has it for £40. Have you not got a local indie?
Argos has it for £39.99.

not any more. Although I'll be around Paddington tomorrow if there are any good indies a short tube ride away?

Main reason is just that I'll be trading some games in and GAME are offering 20% extra towards MK8

cyberheater

As I said, I can't say for certain, but it seems better. When I get chance to play alone tonight I'll have another look. I can switch the map on to the pad and keep an eye as I play - no chance of doing that with the kids about, as they're having too much fun honking the horn button on the pad while I try to drive... :)

Thanks. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

cyberheater

not any more. Although I'll be around Paddington tomorrow if there are any good indies a short tube ride away?

Main reason is just that I'll be trading some games in and GAME are offering 20% extra towards MK8

That 20% trade in will be a good offset towards the game.

You might have to press customer services a bit. But for now just wait for the promotion to go live and see what happens.

The terms are silly (I understand this is possibly to stop review copies triggering the promotion) with regards to how it lets you mess up.

Woffls

:( I've drafted an email, will send it tomorrow. Going for the 'there were no instructions in the box so why wouldn't I register it as soon as I got it?' approach.

JP

Is this where we list our Nintendo IDs for Mari Kart 8 adds? If so feel free to add me for this or any other Nintendo stuff and I'll see you online over the weekend...
JohnParry (UK)

Shahadan

Okay that does it, it's the third time I'm seeing someone hit by a shell recover quickly as if they were barely scratched. How do they do it?
I've hit an opponent in front of me twice with a green shell and couldn't even close the gap between us :s

AGoodODST

Okay that does it, it's the third time I'm seeing someone hit by a shell recover quickly as if they were barely scratched. How do they do it?
I've hit an opponent in front of me twice with a green shell and couldn't even close the gap between us :s

Doesn't it depend on character/kart stats how fast you recover? What character were they?

Top Bottom