• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DooD1234

Stupid #%!# green >_>
If it was royal raceway it would be mines. I don't remember who I hit, I was just happy I came home first after racing so poorly all night. Also Roo has hax to have all the right items at the right time. Gives us the cheat already Roo lol.

DooD1234

Yeah, GGs all. I do poorly with the kart, but it's all good :D

And yeah, that was your green Dood. :(
You seem to do better in a kart then I can. I can only go as high as the mid bracket if I recall all night which was poor performance. Maybe I need to practice some time trials or something to get better with a kart.

Roo

I hope it's some ms paint job where you "edit" out the bananas.

Sorry, I forgot to link my hax video.
No bumps here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Appkxq81Gw4

Edit: Holy shit, what the fuck?
Exposed!! lol

iqWViVQe5B8KG.png

Okay, positions being different on different people's screens is something I've seen before. Due to lag, this is understandable.

But... different items?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The struggle out of 10k is totally real. I follow this amazing racer on NicoNico with superb slow down tactics and awareness and even he can't do it.

DooD1234

I always knew Roo was a hacker no wonder he kept hitting me with red shells all night and getting the right items whenever he needed. He just lets us win just to throw off suspicion.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to play, but of course nobody else is playing. Played a GP and stomped the CPU, the person in second didn't finish on any of the four races. Yawn.

How are wins and losses counted? Number of players you finish ahead of/behind?

MrDaravon

So the wife and I started really playing this recently and fucking love it. I haven't played a Mario Kart since the GC one really but I played a shitload of them up to that point, so I was able to pick it up pretty quickly and drifting is second nature to me already. My question is I'm wondering what people would suggest as far as character/ride setup to help my wife learn how to drift. She's never played any of the Mario Kart games before, but I went pretty much straight to the inside drifting bikes and haven't looked back, but I don't know that would be a good way for her to learn. Looking around online at Gamefaqs and other places it seems like people mostly arguing inside vs outside drifting being better, but that's not really what I'm looking for in this case. She seems to be playing mostly either Rosalina or gold metal (?) Peach, but I'm not sure if she should maybe try learning with it a kart first? I personally am not a big fan out outside drifting which I think all karts do, or at least the few I played with did. Would appreciate any suggestions!

Also I've only played online with specific friends, what's with the tournament stuff in the OP? Is that just a code I can put in and there's basically just a GAF race going on at all times? o_O

Roo

I wake up to this scandal.

Edit: the real reason is that Roo's picture is from the second lap and mine seems to be from the third.
No no no. They're legit hax. They were custom made.
I just want to let you know.. you just killed an inside joke (...)

I always knew Roo was a hacker no wonder he kept hitting me with red shells all night and getting the right items whenever he needed. He just lets us win just to throw off suspicion.

lol at the suspicion part.
No but seriously. I thought I was doing a good job. Blowing up my engine, getting last place a few times, no using hax items until hitting an item box, coins here and there, invisible firehopping (that's a new one), etc :(
I even let Exentryk win most of the time D:

Decided to play, but of course nobody else is playing. Played a GP and stomped the CPU, the person in second didn't finish on any of the four races. Yawn.

How are wins and losses counted? Number of players you finish ahead of/behind?

We thought it was related to your place e.g: in a 12 people room you finish 4th. That's 3 loses and 8 wins but apparently that's not how it works. Justice did a quick test a few days ago but the results were different.

So the wife and I started really playing this recently and fucking love it. I haven't played a Mario Kart since the GC one really but I played a shitload of them up to that point, so I was able to pick it up pretty quickly and drifting is second nature to me already. My question is I'm wondering what people would suggest as far as character/ride setup to help my wife learn how to drift. She's never played any of the Mario Kart games before, but I went pretty much straight to the inside drifting bikes and haven't looked back, but I don't know that would be a good way for her to learn. Looking around online at Gamefaqs and other places it seems like people mostly arguing inside vs outside drifting being better, but that's not really what I'm looking for in this case. She seems to be playing mostly either Rosalina or gold metal (?) Peach, but I'm not sure if she should maybe try learning with it a kart first? I personally am not a big fan out outside drifting which I think all karts do, or at least the few I played with did. Would appreciate any suggestions!

Also I've only played online with specific friends, what's with the tournament stuff in the OP? Is that just a code I can put in and there's basically just a GAF race going on at all times? o_O

A heavy character (Bowser, Morton, Wario, etc) with a really high accel kart (Para Biddybug) should be enough for her to learn the basics.
I definitely recommend to try karts/outside drift first. They're easier to handle than a bike (at least for a beginner, that is) Other than that, just practice.
And about the code in OP, yes, it's basically a closed community with GAF players. A really good place to learn how unfair it's out there in the wild.

It's the Mario Kart army. You check in being a sweet casual and you leave being a ruthless man that won't hesitate to use a horn on someone already down :D

DooD1234

lol at the suspicion part.
No but seriously. I thought I was doing a good job. Blowing up my engine, getting last place a few times, no using hax items until hitting an item box, coins here and there, invisible firehopping (that's a new one), etc :(
I even let Exentryk win most of the time D:

Ha, we should thank Roo for exposing this hacker, Roo.

Dr Prob

Banned
Something else to add to the list of things that piss me off in this game: People getting horns from the first set of boxes. Is this necessary? Nothing like getting horned and knocked off the track like ten seconds in, or even worse (this just happened, so the salt is fresh!), getting horned at the start of Sherbet Land, knocked into the underwater section and turned around 180 degrees so you're facing the wrong way. Takes like six months to even get going again. It's the worst.

List of things that piss me off in this game:
- Homing green shells. Fuck all that.
- Fireball spam. Fuck that too.
- Horns from the first set of boxes.

And while not technically in the game, the NeoGAF no hopping rule grinds my gears as well. Remember a little while ago when the anti-hopping crowd was telling anyone who would listen that it's clearly an exploit, would be removed in the patch and all the TT records wiped? Looks like none of that happened. Wonder why? Could it be that IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE GAME!?

8Y3d1OV.jpg

That rule has outlived whatever usefulness it may have once had, as a huge percentage of the people who were complaining about it in the first place don't play anymore. What are we even doing? I'm of a mind to hop the goddamn Rubicon, and if I know my history, nothing could possibly go wrong.

If you see Kak wearing a fucking toga or something, let me know.

Getting coins from the first set of boxes is a great way to know you're in for a world of shit.

Edit: Playing worldwide in general, on second thought. Oof.

Are there less people playing now? I haven't been able to connect with a group of people in a long time. Are we using different race codes now?

Kangi

Throw Green Shell, hits player. Player spins out. Player keeps moving and is not slowed by the item hitting them. I'm used to seeing that by now.

Throw Red Shell, trails behind player for a good fifty yards, and finally hits them just as they cross the finish line for first place. Saw enough of that in MKWii, so okay.

Player rams into me, passes me. Throw item at them. They teleport behind me and throw an item at me. Then teleport several yards ahead. ...Okay.

Player gets hit while he has Crazy 8, and I take their Star even though I didn't see him nearby. Finally I'm on the good end of their lag. Then I get hit by nothing in the middle of the Star and spin out for no reason. I finish ahead of them and their character suddenly moves up the rankings to in front of me.

I quit.

Exentryk

Are there less people playing now? I haven't been able to connect with a group of people in a long time. Are we using different race codes now?

The codes are the same, but unless you see people posting here, there is no one playing at the time. The numbers have reduced from when the game released, but we did get a few people show up after the patch.

I should be adding to the numbers in a couple weeks if all goes well.

Basically, I'm returning a used PS3 I got because there were so many things wrong with it. I then vowed to never buy a used console ever again, looked up the price of a new PS3 on Amazon since I'm pretty much stuck there now, and went, "Fuck it, I'm just gonna get a Wii U because it has Mario Kart and the PS3 doesn't."
I also anticipate amazing PS3 deals this holiday season.

Something else to add to the list of things that piss me off in this game: People getting horns from the first set of boxes. Is this necessary? Nothing like getting horned and knocked off the track like ten seconds in, or even worse (this just happened, so the salt is fresh!), getting horned at the start of Sherbet Land, knocked into the underwater section and turned around 180 degrees so you're facing the wrong way. Takes like six months to even get going again. It's the worst.

List of things that piss me off in this game:
- Homing green shells. Fuck all that.
- Fireball spam. Fuck that too.
- Horns from the first set of boxes.

And while not technically in the game, the NeoGAF no hopping rule grinds my gears as well. Remember a little while ago when the anti-hopping crowd was telling anyone who would listen that it's clearly an exploit, would be removed in the patch and all the TT records wiped? Looks like none of that happened. Wonder why? Could it be that IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE GAME!?

8Y3d1OV.jpg

That rule has outlived whatever usefulness it may have once had, as a huge percentage of the people who were complaining about it in the first place don't play anymore. What are we even doing? I'm of a mind to hop the goddamn Rubicon, and if I know my history, nothing could possibly go wrong.

If you see Kak wearing a fucking toga or something, let me know.
I'm getting a certain vibe from your post lol
496.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Your drunk karting looks like my normal karting.

Well, biking. Your drunk karting is way better than I could do with a kart in general.

Roo

8Y3d1OV.jpg

I support this.
That rule was set so new players could have "fun" *that word* and overall make the whole experience more fair (from a racing point of view that is)
But let's face it, only regulars and/or high skill players care enough to join the GAF tournaments nowdays.

That one time I openly asked about if firehopping rule should be removed or not, only 4-6 guys responded. So people either don't care or are against it.

While I won't be getting the game for a couple weeks, I fully support getting rid of the "no firehopping" rule. I don't think the GAF room would be the best practice if I can't play using the techniques I'll be using in Worldwides. I gotta build up that muscle memory and that will be harder if I sometimes have to purposefully hold back.

I mean, to more experienced players that rule's basically, "If you're using an outside drifter, you must sandbag." Isn't that kind of, you know... Dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom