• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
So proud.

Got 1st place for the first time against GAF last night, against 10 other crazy GAFers. It was at the Thwomp stage, and I managed to hold off "Katz" who got crazy 8's in the final stretch of the last lap, and nearly knocked me (Bowser) to second with that red shell near the finishing line. What a game.

I can't even compare racing in the GAF tournament to racing in other online rooms. Difference is night and day. I can manage 1st place about 6/10 times in other online matches, but against GAF I have to race damn near perfectly to finish anywhere in the top half.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What's everyone's build combo?

Do you guys opt for speed or acceleration? Seems like the baby characters would be all but useless online. Can't imagine them surviving too long in the bumper kart mayhem that ensues constantly.

ohlawd

I go for looks in GAF races so full gold using Peach

PGP in WW with Gold Kart and whatever else I need to reach 3 accel, 4 speed. I'd use Peach but her weight class got screwed over hard.

What's a good kart/combo for a beginner who uses the wheel and can't quite handle taking sharp corners?
I'd just use the combo you like and run with it until it clicks. Don't really have much better advice than that :/

Can say that once you're used to the wheel, it's not hard to freely switch around combos and different characters.

Roo

What's everyone's build combo?

Do you guys opt for speed or acceleration? Seems like the baby characters would be all but useless online. Can't imagine them surviving too long in the bumper kart mayhem that ensues constantly.

My current combo is
Middleweight character(Luigi/Yoshi) + Circuit Special + Button wheels + Cloud Glider.
And from what I've been able to see, it's a pretty balanced combo so I say I opt for both.

People care too much about stats but personally, it's a waste of time.
Maybe you find the fastest combo out there which usually results in a pathetic acceleration but if you can't break the pack, speed will mean shit if you're constantly hit.
Same goes for those who go for top acceleration and terrible speed.

More than stats, you definitely should consider items, number of hits, tracks and your skills as a player when you build your combo.

The one I've been using has been amazing so far. I'm usually top three in GAFcc which I consider a really tough and competitive group so yeah, IMO it's a great combo.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My current combo is
Middleweight character(Luigi/Yoshi) + Circuit Special + Button wheels + Cloud Glider.
And from what I've been able to see, it's a pretty balanced combo so I say I opt for both.

People care too much about stats but personally, it's a waste of time.
Maybe you find the fastest combo out there which usually results in a pathetic acceleration but if you can't break the pack, speed will mean shit if you're constantly hit.
Same goes for those who go for top acceleration and terrible speed.

More than stats, you definitely should consider items, number of hits, tracks and your skills as a player when you build your combo.

The one I've been using has been amazing so far. I'm usually top three in GAFcc which I consider a really tough and competitive group so yeah, IMO it's a great combo.

I agree with this. Different stats are useful at different times, but in the end player skill and luck are going to be the determining factor. Some people can play lighter characters/lower speed builds and not only break away from the pack, but prove to be very hard to pass even for a faster build just due to their skill.

My Waluigi and Bowser setups are pretty well balanced stat-wise and favor different things (ironically, Waluigi is heavier and faster) but ultimately I don't win very often because I'm pretty average skill-wise among GAF players along with the strokes of bad luck that rear their ugly heads.

Kater

Banned
Is anyone in here racing right now in any of the tournaments? Went into the NeoGAF Race OT but nobody was there.

Xeno_V

I found a good deal for a used Wii U and I think that I will bite.
How is MK8's online play for EU-Gaffers? Many people playing? Is it smooth overall?

And kinda off topic but if I buy a used Wii U and DLC games are already installed there then what should I do? If I format I lose them forever I guess so my best bet is to just create my own profile or not?

Skyzard

Banned
^I'm in UK, online is smooth even with Americans from what I've played.

I will try and play some games with you guys as I'm starting to sour on some things with this game. Hoping I'm just in a bad mood or something as I was having a lot of fun previously.

-the heavyness and constant understeer - need to really plan ahead, can't react or even estimate things that well.
-the way bikes drift sucks
-some of the tracks I love...some have such bland corners/sections. Missed opportunities.
-where the fuck is the reward ceremony, seriously, what the hell.
-not impressed with visuals due to chainsaw jaggies, it's just okay - looks better on the gamepad than my monitor.
-it slows you down too much when you go off the main track or get hit. Too much.
-playing online is not like playing offline in terms of framerate. It's fine, but it's not 60fps magic. Even playing in timetrial is smoother than playing in offline races.

I got over the no bike wheelies and not being able to get another item while holding one behind you. Even the battlemode I can forgive if the racing was tight but the way it all is, just feel let down as a long-time mk fan.

I like the boulder car too, which drifts how I want JUST... like -1 arbitrary units from ideal, as opposed to -3 or worse like the rest.

Have I just become a grumpy old man? I'm still enjoying it, but I expected a bit more. I'm going to play it a lot more as I don't give up on Mario Kart easy and it's still pretty fun as it is. But argh, feels like it's only 3/4 done and I've only played it a handful of hours.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
It doesn't matter as much in Frantic, since you're going to get hit a lot even if you're in first, but in Normal, I've found from racing the same people with different characters that I perform much better as heavier characters that I do as lighter characters. In MK7, I could do well with any character, but in MK8 I can't, at least not in high-level rooms. I can do okay as middleweights, but if I try to play a light character and someone good is playing a heavy, I will get overtaken almost immediately even if I start in first and get the maximum possible boost at the beginning. Good acceleration may allow me to place in the top few positions easily, but I will almost never come in first. Really wish they had stuck with MK7's character balance.

Roo

I've been playing for 15 minutes and I can't seem to find a decent lobby.
Everyone is 2000 or lower >.<

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing for 15 minutes and I can't seem to find a decent lobby.
Everyone is 2000 or lower >.<

At least you are finding people. I was trying to play this morning, played one race with two other people (3900 and 4600 I think), left to find another lobby and couldn't find anybody. Couple days ago I couldn't find anybody either.

It doesn't matter as much in Frantic, since you're going to get hit a lot even if you're in first, but in Normal, I've found from racing the same people with different characters that I perform much better as heavier characters that I do as lighter characters. In MK7, I could do well with any character, but in MK8 I can't, at least not in high-level rooms. I can do okay as middleweights, but if I try to play a light character and someone good is playing a heavy, I will get overtaken almost immediately even if I start in first and get the maximum possible boost at the beginning. Good acceleration may allow me to place in the top few positions easily, but I will almost never come in first. Really wish they had stuck with MK7's character balance.

Heavy characters are too good because acceleration is "cheaper" than speed, plus you have the inherent weight advantage. Can easily set something up with 4+ speed and acceleration with a heavy character, but I'm not even sure if a baby can reach 4 speed at all.

Oidisco

5 People, if you're not a part of this crazy group of fun people, you're a loser.

Better join us so you can be cool and fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom