• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enforced

HSIge1Y.gif
Lol that's awesome.

Exentryk

Comment from MrBean (the hacker) about those icons he found:

Okiedokie, this all spread around faster than we thought it would considering it was posted in like... two Skype groups total. I suppose clarification is in order!

These icons are intended to be used for DLC; or at least, are placeholders for images that may eventually be used. Their filenames from left to right in the image are:

ym_CupIconDLC_00_130x130^h.bflim
ym_CupIconDLC_01_130x130^h.bflim
ym_CupIconDLC_02_130x130^h.bflim
ym_CupIconDLC_03_130x130^h.bflim

The "DLC" in each name can't really be mistaken. We haven't located the 3D versions that the menus use; but we haven't located any of the 3D cup icons in the first place, so there's no saying they don't exist. Mind you, in their current form, these icons are missing some files that complete cups have, namely some textures used for effects and similar. When we had the game render these, we had to use the mushroom/flower cup's effects, which might have caused small drawing errors. The other files might be downloaded someday if these cup icons are to be used for something!

Also supporting the DLC theory is that the valid track IDs in MK8 start at 0x10 and run to 0x2F. The ones before that, 0x00 - 0x0F are labelled as Reserved00 - Reserved15, exactly 16 slots that are apparently... "reserved". What's 4 x 4, I wonder? And what are they reserved for?

Furthermore, there are 16 full size graphics of 12 Marios on the start line of Mario Circuit, with the word "SAMPLE" plastered across. All of these images are labelled "DLC" as well and are probably placeholders that may one day be replaced with brand new track images.

Of course, we won't know for sure until Nintendo says something.

Also, interesting discoveries, there might be plans for a Shy Guy outfit for Mii, and a Yoshi outfit for Mii. There are placeholder files for those on the disc as well, but when we tried to load them, we merely got a red suited Mii. Very unfortunate. Still might be an indicator of things to come, though!

Gattuso

tried out a kart for the very first time ever and I wasn't expecting it to be that big of a difference in control. felt so off

Exentryk

tried out a kart for the very first time ever and I wasn't expecting it to be that big of a difference in control. felt so off

Right? I just don't like that initial outward movement that the karts have. It takes the kart so far away from your initial line for no apparent reason.

Roo

16 new tracks be like a whole new game o.o
If we are indeed getting DLC tracks, I hope they don't fuck this up with lame tracks. To this day I'm still upset about them using MMM instead of something... less boring.

Right? I just don't like that initial outward movement that the karts have. It takes the kart so far away from your initial line for no apparent reason.
lol you guys sound like me the first time I tried an inside drift bike.

Dr Prob

Banned
If we are indeed getting DLC tracks, I hope they don't fuck this up with lame tracks. To this day I'm still upset about them using MMM instead of something... less boring.

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say that 16 tracks are released as dlc. Assuming that half that number would be retro tracks, which ones would you want? I'll put the list of remaining tracks in the next post.

Dr Prob

Banned
They're both pretty dry, though one of them does have those ruins.

I'm all about motherfucking CHEESE LAND though. Imagine that land of cheese in HD.

Roo

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say that 16 tracks are released as dlc. Assuming that half that number would be retro tracks, which ones would you want? I'll put the list of remaining tracks in the next post.
Well, those are the ones I would personally like to see

GBA Ribbon Road
GBA Broken Pier
GCN Wario Colosseum
DS Mario Circuit
Wii Toad's Factory
Wii Bowser's Castle
3DS Neo Bowser City
3DS Rosalina's Ice World

Sadly, some of them wouldn't make great use of the anti-gravity mechanic like RR, BP and MC but considering most of the actual retro tracks in MK8 have lame antigravity sections I don't think it's a big issue.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I wish we could get all MK Wii tracks as DLC, including the ones that were used in MK7.

Daisy Circuit + Moonview Highway + Dry Dry Ruins + Maple Treeway <3

Exentryk

Yeah, I've gotten better splits for the 2nd and 3rd lap, so can definitely improve my time further too. But I don't think I'll bother with it anymore. Coz eventually when Prob gets into low 1:26, us bikers are never going to beat that.

Rather spend the time in learning how to kart. But how the hell do people control this thing? Bikes are so much more easier and manageable.

Roo

But how the hell do people control this thing? Bikes are so much more easier and manageable.
I beg to differ.
I think MK8's kart drift is the result of years of trying to find the perfect drift. It is intuitive, easy on new players and yet it feels tight and with actual weight. DS, Wii and 7 feel so floaty compared to 8 it's not even funny.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I beg to differ.
I think MK8's kart drift is the result of years of trying to find the perfect drift. It is intuitive, easy on new players and yet it feels tight and with actual weight. DS, Wii and 7 feel so floaty compared to 8 it's not even funny.

I played some 7 recently and couldn't believe how awful the drifting felt, then throw the awful item balance on top of it...

...god that game sucked.

mmxzero

I beg to differ.
I agree, 8 feels so spot on. I played MK7 last month while on vacation and MK8 puts it to shame in my opinion. Floaty like you said. I dont remember what karts in mkw feel like since I hardly ever used them.
3DS Rosalina's Ice World
Anything but that.

Exentryk

I beg to differ.

I guess I just dislike that initial outward swerve. What is that? Why is that? :|

Roo

I guess I just dislike that initial outward swerve. What is that? Why is that? :|
Yeah I think that's the problem.
It always has been a thing in Mario Kart since Double Dash so I don't know what to tell you :p
You probably need to practice more. You learned to use the new inside drift bikes after all.

DaBoss

But the turning or auto-turn or whatever is so bad in MK8. I remember in MK7 you can just make some tight turns by steering. Made it easier to get out of tight spots like when you are about to fall off a ledge.
I played some 7 recently and couldn't believe how awful the drifting felt, then throw the awful item balance on top of it...

...god that game sucked.
I think you confused it with MK8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom