• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

Did you guys see this?
DLCAllCups.png

Apparently Chadderz, MrBean's brother? (MKW hacker) found this messing around in the game's data.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I think you can, it's just happens less frequently, presumably depending on distances between racers
I don't think I've ever gotten a mushroom in first with normal items. Only items I've ever gotten in first are Coin, Banana, Green Shell, Red Shell, and in very rare cases, Super Horn.

(I actually have gotten mushrooms in first in Grand Prix, though--but never online with normal items. That leads me to believe the item distribution is different in Grand Prix.)

Did you guys see this?
DLCAllCups.png

Apparently Chadderz, MrBean's brother? (MKW hacker) found this messing around in the game's data.

Oh, yeah, I saw that on another forum. Could be icons intended for DLC... or it could just be unused data. Hard to say.

Volotaire

Did you guys see this?
DLCAllCups.png

Shine ... Thief?

Perhaps new multiplayer modes/actual battle arenas or challenges in a DLC? Could be like the above poster said, just unused data.

On a related note, I tried battle mode for the first time yesterday. It was terrible. What have they done. Was it that hard to shove in some legacy battle maps and call it a day?

Roo

Yeah, I'm in the unused data boat.
Just like those Petey Piranha and Hammer Bro icons meant for their models in Mario Kart Wii.
Plus using a Shine as a cup symbol is odd.

Finalow

anyone up for some games? I want to play a bit more before the patch and dlc.

Nah, it's impossibru.
I never got one in normal mode either.
frantic is better as in items are more balanced, be ready to also rage more. especially if you're first and you think that you'll never get hit by blue shell - 3 red shells and all the items from the pack that you left behind. of course you finish the race as 12th 'cause that was during the last curve of the last lap.

How would one one in a blue shell only cup? That would be like the slowest race ever if it can be called a race lol.
really, a blue shell only cup would be awful. but they wouldn't make one in the first place anyway.

Exentryk

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

(Guess my last lap was a bit weak, though. Still have some room for improvement.)

Wish there was a way to see all of your friends' ghosts. Only reason I was able to download Exentryk's was because I got within .05 seconds of his time, and it showed up on the "people whose times are a little bit faster than yours" list. If I had people to compete against, I'd probably play Time Trials more. Seeing you guys post about that was a huge motivator for me to improve my own time.

Haha nice! I don't enjoy time trails, but trying to beat friend times is somewhat interesting. Nintendo needs to fix the system though.

Omnicent

go afk for a few seconds to get the phone and get bodied =\
Time to work my way back up again.

You're all big bullies. Had triple mushrooms for the shortcut and all the big bodies denied me access.

Now I know how the babies feel lol

Burning Justice

the superior princess
This isn't thread worthy? There is none on the gaming side.

I got to thinking about it a bit more, and... I'm starting to think there's a chance those icons may not even be real. I've looked around, and I haven't seen any posts from Chadderz himself about them, only from people saying he said they were in the game code.

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't feel comfortable posting a thread about them until I see confirmation from Chadderz himself, not from second-hand sources. Not saying they're definitely fake, but those icons look like they could have easily been Photoshopped.

Finalow

Thanks for the races. time for a break.
GGs, lol. also GGs Gattuso.

I was a bit rusty but I surely remembered how fucking stupid this game could be. "hey let's lose the first 10-15 races cuz you get hit 145 times by items in the last lap, or better, 2 curves before the finishing line! Yay it's so fun*" *and of course, the prize of you being 10-11-12th is a beautiful mushroom!
Mario Kart'ed etc.

Dr Prob

Banned
Also, where did that image come from, Prob?

If you go to the Mario Kart TV page, log in then select time trials from the menu icon thing up on the left, you can access top five times for people on your list. It's not ideal, and I really don't understand the reasoning behind not just having this stuff available in-game anymore, but it's something.

Congrats on the time. I'll resume destroying you guys tomorrow :D

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Was gonna get online and play WWs for a bit, but looks like it's down right now. Oh well.

If you go to the Mario Kart TV page, log in then select time trials from the menu icon thing up on the left, you can access top five times for people on your list. It's not ideal, and I really don't understand the reasoning behind not just having this stuff available in-game anymore, but it's something.
Oh, okay. It's not ghosts, but that does help. Thanks!

I hope that if they release DLC courses they will be free, otherwise finding a game for them will be really difficult and the community will be greatly split.

I never got one in normal mode either.

Because you can't :) It wouldn't make sense really, if the person in first place could get even further ahead with a mushroom. You only get items to protect yourself, as well as a shitload of coins.

JCX

After playing this a ton, then going back to 7, DS, and Wii, I have some more thoughts.

- MK8 Best track GP: Sunshine Airport, Bowser's Castle, Thwomp Ruins, Mount Wario
- Worst Rainbow Road in the series
- Item balance has gone in the opposite direction. I always seem to get the best items in 2-5 place, while 6-12 is mushrooms or a bullet bill if I fall that far behind. Basically very hard to catch up if I get mangled early on in the first or second set of item blocks.
- Decreased stun after items hit means Star/shells were nerfed
- Coin as an item is just mean

Overall, my favorite console MK, and second favorite after DS

Hey, can I ask you guys a complicated question in hopes of an easy answer?

I haven't played games for a while because I've been busy parenting, but I have a chance to play a little MK8 because my sister-in-law's boyfriend brings it around now and again.

What are a couple of good combinations of characters and karts I can stick to?

The last MK I played was DS, and I love that one. I had time to get deep into time trials and really get to know all the characters. Although, for most courses, the answer was always Dry Bones (I forget in which car).

I don't have the luxury to put in that kind of playtime though. Are there 2 or 3 configurations that are more popular than others? Anything I need to know about snaking or drifting? Thanks.

Edit: Also, here a couple of comments on first impression. The game is distractingly colorful. I know Nintendo can make elements and backdrops vibrant yet easy to see because SM Galaxy is gorgeous in that way, so I'm not sure why MK8 is so jumbled-looking.

And is the track labeled Rainbow Road N64 really from N64? It's completely different and really short. I mean, it's not like I want the N64 one in here. I was just curious.

Finalow

Because you can't :) It wouldn't make sense really, if the person in first place could get even further ahead with a mushroom. You only get items to protect yourself, as well as a shitload of coins.
well, if you get one you have no protection for red shells. and if you play frantic the guy in 2nd place will get 3 red shells most of the time.

Dr Prob

Banned

Actually had a somewhat decent first lap for once. Of course, proceeded to follow it up with two shitty ones because that's how I roll, but still, you guys and your pussified two-wheeled conveyances are toast
:D
:

B1fH51P.jpg

Battersea Power Station said:
Are there 2 or 3 configurations that are more popular than others? Anything I need to know about snaking or drifting?

Obviously, this being Mario Kart you can win and have fun with any combo and ultimately it comes down to what you feel comfortable with, but weight is an issue in the game. You really can't go wrong w/a heavyweight character and quality kart (Mach 8, Circuit Special, Sports Coupe, Gold Standard, Pipe Frame) or inside drifting bike (Sport Bike, Comet etc.). Outside of time trials I personally like to use accel* wheels/glider but most seem to prefer having max speed all the time.

*Hitting the +/start button on the character select screen will bring up the stat bars. Acceleration is tiered again, so you want full bars

Snaking isn't an issue in this installment. Firehopping has replaced it as the thing that people endlessly argue over now :D This vid quickly touches on some of the other tech in the game and is just as useful muted as it is with the sound on.

Super easy answer: Heavy character + fast kart. Do this shit, WRs are posted here. glhf!

Exentryk

^ Nicely done, Prob. But can you do it without fire hopping :p

I think the bike times are reaching a limit there. Probably could go a second or so faster to 1:26:500 at best, but that should be it, whereas karts are in 1:23 something.
Too late for me to switch to karts now tho.

In other news:

The game's file system has 16 DLC courses listed. They also found some DLC cup icon text. More info here -

http://mkboards.com/forums/threads/unused-grand-prix-images-found-through-data-mining.8402/page-3#post-177306

Burning Justice

the superior princess
In other news:

The game's file system has 16 DLC courses listed. They also found some DLC cup icon text. More info here -

http://mkboards.com/forums/threads/unused-grand-prix-images-found-through-data-mining.8402/page-3#post-177306
Hmm. I suppose if those icons haven't been debunked by now, then they're probably real.

It definitely means DLC courses are likely... but not guaranteed. They could have included the hooks for DLC on a "well, just in case..." basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom