• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 : trailer and official PR (lobby voice chat confirmed)

L~A

Ok, I know there's already the Direct thread, but I'm making a new one for the Mario Kart 8 trailer that was uploaded at the same time.

Here it is : YouTube

There's also the official PR, which confirms there's text/voice chat before/after races.

NA PR :

REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–One month from today, Mario Kart 8 will be driving players wild with anti-gravity racing action. To get people revved up for the Wii U game, Nintendo released a new Nintendo Direct video that announced some additional news nuggets, including a Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle, a free downloadable game offer for Wii U owners who buy Mario Kart 8, details about online features, cool new characters and devastating new items.

“Everyone loves Mario Kart,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “It’s a franchise that brings people together for fun at a family gathering, a frenzied race against friends or just an afternoon break at the office. The numerous new features of Mario Kart 8 make this the most ambitious version yet, and one that will have players of all skill levels racing for the checkered flag.”

To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct. Some of the new information announced today included:

Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle: People who don’t yet own a Wii U system will find it easy to get in on the action. On May 30 Nintendo is releasing the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Set bundle that includes a Wii U Deluxe Set system, a Mario Kart 8 game, a red Mario Wii Wheel accessory and a red Mario Wii Remote Plus controller, all at a suggested retail price of just $329.99.

Get a Free Digital Game: People who buy Mario Kart 8 and register the game with Club Nintendo before July 31 will receive a free Nintendo eShop download code for an additional Wii U game. Players can grow their Wii U digital game collections by choosing from one of these well-received Wii U games: New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD or Wii Party U. That’s a two-for-one deal featuring some of the all-time great Wii U games. This offer also applies to people who get the game in the Mario Kart 8 bundle or digitally in the Nintendo eShop.

For Europe : click here!

Online Multiplayer: Up to 12 players can race together online in four different multiplayer modes, as long as everyone has a broadband Internet connection. Like to trash-talk your friends while you’re preparing for a race? You’re in luck! Mario Kart 8 lets players chat with one another in the lobby area using the Wii U GamePad microphone or text phrases as they wait for their friends to join. Players also can create public or private tournaments for which they specify the day of the week, the time and the rules. Per tradition, players will be able to race against ghost data from friends or even the top 10 worldwide racers. They can try to beat them or just pick up a few tips and tricks from studying the best. If you beat the development team’s ghosts, you’ll get cool stamps for use in Miiverse posts.

Mario Kart TV:
As previously announced, players can watch their highlight racing reels, rewind them, play them in slow motion or upload them to Miiverse. They can watch the world’s most popular highlight reels and comment on them. But players with Google accounts can also upload their reels directly to their YouTube channels.

New Items: Items are what make Mario Kart games so balanced. No matter how skilled racers are, they’re just a blue Spiny Shell away from disaster. A well-timed item can also turn defeat into victory in an instant. The new Super Horn blows away all other items – literally. Sounding the Super Horn issues forth a sonic shock wave that blasts away everything in the vicinity, including other drivers, Red Shells and even blue Spiny Shells. It’s a potent asset, especially for drivers trying to maintain their lead. Mario Kart 8 also introduces the Crazy Eight, a swirl of eight different items that lucky players can use one by one.

New Racers
: Two new playable female characters make their debut appearances in Mario Kart 8. New heavyweight driver Pink Gold Peach glows with a golden light and makes a nice counterpart to Metal Mario. Baby Rosalina shows up for a play date with other Baby characters. As in past Mario Kart games, players can again choose to play as their Mii characters, which rounds out the field of racers to an even 30.

JoeM86

UK Press Release

NINTENDO GIVES A KARTING CRASH COURSE WITH NEW MARIO KART 8 INFORMATION
Nintendo Direct reveals a new Mario Kart 8 Bonus Game Promotion for Wii U, plus Mario Kart 8 online features, new items and racers

One month from today, Mario Kart 8 will be driving players wild with anti-gravity racing action. To get people revved up for its release exclusively on Wii U, Nintendo has released a new Nintendo Direct video that announces additional Mario Kart 8 news, including a free downloadable game offer for fans, details about its online features, new characters and devastating new items.

To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect. Today’s announcements include:

Mario Kart 8 Bonus Game Promotion: Whether Mario Kart 8 is purchased at retail or via Nintendo eShop, if you register an accompanying Club Nintendo PIN code of the game with Club Nintendo between 30th May 2014 (10:00 CEST) and 31st July 2014 (23:59 CEST), you will be eligible to receive a free download code for one of 10 selected Wii U games* by 31st August 2014 (23:59 CEST). This offer also applies to Club Nintendo PIN codes included in the Mario Kart 8 Limited Edition software offering and Mario Kart 8 Premium Pack – Special Edition hardware bundle. More details of this promotion will follow at a later date here.

Online multiplayer: In Mario Kart 8, up to 12 players can race together online, with four main ways to find opponents (Global, Regional, Friends and Rivals, Tournament)**. Like to banter with your friends while you’re preparing for a race? Mario Kart 8 lets players chat with one another in the lobby area using the GamePad microphone as they wait for their friends to join. Players can also create public or private tournaments for which they specify the day of the week, the time and the rules. As is Mario Kart tradition, players will be able to race against ghost data from friends, or even the top 10 worldwide racers. Players can try to beat them or just pick up a few tips and tricks from studying the best. If you beat the Mario Kart 8 development team’s ghosts, you’ll get a cool Miiverse stamp.

Mario Kart TV: On this in-game channel, players can view Highlight Reels from their races and tournaments they take part in - with rewind and slow motion replay features to boot - while racers eager to learn from others can watch the world’s most popular Highlight Reels via Mario Kart TV and comment on them. Players with Google accounts can also upload their reels directly to YouTube from within Mario Kart TV, and post these videos directly to Miiverse.

New Items: No matter how skilled some racers are, they’re just a blue Spiny Shell away from peril. A well-timed item turning defeat into victory in an instant. The new Super Horn blows away all other items – literally. Sounding the Super Horn issues forth a sonic shock wave that blasts away everything in the vicinity, including other drivers, Red Shells and even Spiny Shells. It’s a potent asset, especially for drivers trying to maintain their lead. Mario Kart 8 also introduces the Crazy Eight, a swirl of eight different items that lucky players can use one by one.

New Racers: Two new playable female characters make their debut appearances in Mario Kart 8. New heavyweight driver Pink Gold Peach glows with a golden light and makes a shiny counterpart to Metal Mario, while the new Baby Rosalina shows up for a play date with other Baby characters. As in past Mario Kart games, players can again choose to play as their Mii characters, rounding out the field of racers to a total of 30.

Exclusive Mario Kart 8 software and hardware bundles are available for pre-order now on the Official Nintendo Store http://store.nintendo.co.uk/offers/mario-kart-8-wii-u.list.

For more information about Mario Kart 8, the game’s newly published full website can be visited at http://nintendo.co.uk/mariokart8

For further details:

Nintendo Direct website http://nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect

Mario Kart 8 website http://nintendo.co.uk/mariokart8

Wii U website http://wiiu.co.uk

Wii U (UK) on Facebook http://facebook.com/WiiU.co.uk

Nintendo UK on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/NintendoUK

Nintendo of Europe on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendoeurope

Nintendo UK on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendouk

Depending on the Wii U hardware pack you own and your use of it, an additional storage device may be required to download software from Nintendo eShop. Club Nintendo Terms and Conditions apply. The Nintendo Network Agreement and Privacy Policy apply.

- ENDS –

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Frankly I don't care about voice chat being restricted to the lobby - anything that saves another drop of bandwith for netcode in an online game is fine by me. The lobby is where people should be doing most of the chat and organizing anyway.

Plus I have to admit - the rest of the online feature suite is pretty damn good. As in not just Nintendo-catching-up good, but better than a lot of contemporary games' online features. The tournament stuff looks fantastic.

Ivan 3414

Baby Rosalina? "Pink Gold Peach"?

It's funny how they put so much effort into some areas of this game and completely half-assed others.

Tony91

Nintendo did it again.

Best presentation I've ever seen focused with tons of informations fans WANTED from the DEVELOPERS.

Panic Nintendo Mode: ON, we could only hope it'll last for a lot as it only delivers AWESOMENESS.

Camjo-Z

It's funny how they put so much effort into some areas of this game and completely half-assed others.

Are you implying that Baby Rosalina is NOT the greatest character to appear in Mario Kart since Dry Bones?

Codeblue

I probably won't notice a difference if Monster Hunter is any indication. People seem to prefer typing out long messages in dire situations over talking into their controller.

Nudull

Banned
That is the coolest looking Bowser's Castle yet.

Also, Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach are hysterical.
I will be maining both.

blood omen

Neo Member
I just read a bundle is coming out for $330 that also gives you a download for zelda, new super mario, etc....

Pissed. Where is the Super Mario 3d World bundle!?!?! Answer, not coming. Goodbye Wii U

I probably won't notice a difference if Monster Hunter is any indication. People seem to prefer typing out long messages in dire situations over talking into their controller.

Except it seems MK8 only allows for pre-set text messages unlike MH3U where you could send both pre-set phrases or type whatever you wanted with a USB keyboard or GamePad keyboard.

ffdgh

Metal mario needed his own metalic version of peach. /s

Will use her quite a bit with the other peaches lol.

M4kk0

Neo Member
For those interested, Spanish PR:

Madrid, 30 de abril de 2013.- Dentro de exactamente un mes a partir de hoy, Mario Kart 8 estará poniendo patas arriba el concepto de competición de los jugadores de Wii U con la antigravedad de sus circuitos. Para revolucionar un poquito más si cabe la idea de los juegos Mario Kart que los fans tienen en la cabeza, Nintendo ha lanzado hoy un nuevo Nintendo Direct en el que desvela nuevos detalles sobre la conexión online del juego, nuevos personajes y devastadores objetos, y una promoción de lanzamiento que no podrán dejar escapar.

Para ver el Nintendo Direct completo, visita http://nintendodirect.nintendo.es.

Los anuncios de hoy incluyen:

Promoción Mario Kart 8: Un juego de regalo. Da igual si compras el juego Mario Kart 8 en una tienda física o a través de Nintendo eShop, si registras el código PIN que lo acompaña en el Club Nintendo, entre el 30 de mayo de 2014 a las 10:00 horas y el 31 de julio de 2014 (hasta las 23:59 horas), podrás recibir un código de descarga de regalo para uno de estos 10 juegos de Wii U: Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, GAME & WARIO, Pikmin 3, TheWonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World, Mario & Sonic en los Juegos Olímpicos de Invierno - Sochi 2014 y Wii Party U.(1)

Esta oferta también es aplicable a los códigos PIN incluidos en el pack de software Mario Kart 8 de edición limitada y en el pack de hardware Mario Kart 8 Premium Pack – Edición especial.

Una vez registrado el juego en el Club Nintendo, tendrás hasta el 31 de agosto de 2014, a las 23:59 horas, para reclamar tu código de descarga de regalo.(2) Próximamente podrás conocer más detalles de la promoción aquí.

Multijugador online: En Mario Kart 8, hasta 12 jugadores pueden competir online, con cuatro opciones en el menú para encontrar oponentes: mundial, regional, Amigos y rivales, torneo.(3) ¿Te gusta bromear con tus amigos mientras te preparas para la carrera? Mario Kart 8 te charlar a viva voz, usando el micrófono del GamePad, mientras tus contendientes se van uniendo a la carrera. También es posible crear torneos públicos o privados especificando el día de la semana y la hora a la que se celebrarán, así como las reglas a seguir en las carreras.

Como es tradición en Mario Kart, los jugadores podrán competir contra corredores fantasma de amigos, o incluso de los diez mejores jugadores del mundo. Los jugadores pueden intentar ganarles o simplemente coger ideas y trucos estudiando a los mejores. Y si ganas a los corredores fantasma del equipo de desarrollo de Mario Kart 8, conseguirás un sello muy molón para Miiverse.

Mario Kart TV. En este canal interno del juego, los jugadores pueden ver los mejores momentos de sus carreras y de los torneos en los que participan, con opción de rebobinar y de reproducción a cámara lenta incluidas. Y aquellos que estén deseosos de aprender de otros, podrán ver los vídeos más vistos de mejores momentos más y comentarlos a través de Mario Kart TV. Los jugadores con cuentas de Google también pueden subir sus mejores momentos directamente a YouTube desde Mario Kart TV y publicar estos vídeos en Miiverse.

Nuevos objetos. No importa tu habilidad al volante en Mario Kart porque siempre que estás a un Caparazón de pinchos de quedarte en la cuneta. Un objeto lanzado a tiempo hace de la derrota una victoria en un instante. La nueva superbocina liquida todos los demás objetos de un plumazo. Hacer sonar la superbocina genera una onda expansiva super sónica que dinamita todo lo que tenga a su alrededor, incluyendo a otros conductores, caparazones rojos y hasta a los caparazones de pinchos. Es un arma potente, especialmente para los pilotos que traten de mantener su liderazgo en la carrera. Mario Kart 8 también introduce el ocho loco, un remolino de ocho objetos diferentes que los jugadores afortunados podrán usar uno por uno.

Nuevos pilotos. Dos nuevos personajes femeninos jugables hacen su debut en Mario Kart 8. Por un lado, llega un peso pesado: Peach de oro rosa, que irradia una luz dorada y hace de brillante equivalente de Mario de metal. Por otro lado, Bebé Estela podrá competir en el juego con otros bebés del universo Mario. Al igual que en anteriores entregas de la saga, los jugadores podrán también jugar con su propio Mii, lo que eleva el número total de pilotos en el juego a 30.

Para más información sobre Mario Kart 8, visita la nueva web dedicada al juego, disponible en la siguiente dirección: http://mariokart8.nintendo.es.

(1) Los miembros del Club Nintendo menores de 12 años no podrán solicitar juegos con PEGI 12 o superior.

(2) Los códigos de descarga gratuitos podrá redimirse hasta las 23:59h del 30 de septiembre de 2014.

(3) Es necesario contar con conexión a Internet de banda ancha.
http://mariokart8.nintendo.es
http://wiiu.es
https://www.facebook.com/WiiUES
http://www.youtube.com/nintendoes
https://twitter.com/nintendoeurope
https://twitter.com/NintendoES

a bit disappointed by the lack of voice chat during course, but I am sure I would have turn this down because it would have been such a vocal mess.

Nothing beats the sound of real life friends cursing you and your banana peel.

And I still mourns the false item box...

Alrus

They should totally make upload to Youtube a system wide feature. It's weird that Mario Kart games often have online features that never appear in other Nintendo products later on.

Dragoshi1

But isn't Baby Rosalina wrong?

Going by the Galaxy stories she'd tell, and the implications, she definitely didn't look like that as a baby.

Still, the roster is full of babies, koopalings, and 2 metal characters, worst roster yet confirmed.

DD still has the best roster along with MK7.

But isn't Baby Rosalina wrong?

Going by the Galaxy stories she'd tell, and the implications, she definitely didn't look like that as a baby.

Still, the roster is full of babies, koopalings, and 2 metal characters, worst roster yet confirmed.

DD still has the best roster along with MK7.

Yeah, the roster is definitely the worst in a long while.

But really, I'll probably just make a Bill Cosby Mii and race as him. So that doesn't matter.

Davey Cakes

More babies and metal characters...

I can see why some people would be a bit turned off by that.

So the final roster is absolutely confirmed?

Frodo

Get a Free Digital Game: People who buy Mario Kart 8 and register the game with Club Nintendo before July 31 will receive a free Nintendo eShop download code for an additional Wii U game. Players can grow their Wii U digital game collections by choosing from one of these well-received Wii U games: New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD or Wii Party U. That’s a two-for-one deal featuring some of the all-time great Wii U games. This offer also applies to people who get the game in the Mario Kart 8 bundle or digitally in the Nintendo eShop.

Great thing to do, Nintendo, but I ALREADY HAVE ALL THESE GAMES!

:(

If they give you a download code maybe I can sell it? Fingers crossed.

a bit disappointed by the lack of voice chat during course, but I am sure I would have turn this down because it would have been such a vocal mess.

Nothing beats the sound of real life friends cursing you and your banana peel.

And I still mourns the false item box...

I've had some good times with that item. During one race with my friend... we were nearing the finish line, he was a short distance in front of me, I was catching up, he thought he could get me with a false item box, he panicked and ended up putting it in front of him instead of behind. He ended up coming 5th XD (because I think he also got red shelled after he recovered). Ahh, sweet memories.

Great thing to do, Nintendo, but I ALREADY HAVE ALL THESE GAMES!

:(

If they give you a download code maybe I can sell it? Fingers crossed.

Yes, usually the download codes are redeemable on any Wii U of the same region as yours. You can sell / trade it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is good. Voice chat during races would be incredibly distracting, not to mention unrealistic.

Problem: Distracting.
Solution: Option to turn off in-race chat. Option to turn off chat entirely.

Problem: Unrealistic.
Solution: Not a problem. Reassess.

Ludist210

Except it seems MK8 only allows for pre-set text messages unlike MH3U where you could send both pre-set phrases or type whatever you wanted with a USB keyboard or GamePad keyboard.
It's because those pre-set phrases will translate to every language that the game is available in, which MH3U did not.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
True. I mean this is a hardcore sim racer so having any elements that are unrealistic in the game would be bad.

There are certain aspects of realism that contribute to the overall artistry of the game.

BHZ Mayor

Bowser's kids, more shitty baby characters, and another metal character. What a roster.

But the courses look amazing though.

Top Bottom