• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 : trailer and official PR (lobby voice chat confirmed)

Prologue

Only hardcore nintendo fans would find the absence of online chat to be reasonable. The dreamcast had a mic for christ sake lol.

Anyway, at least lobby chat is offered and I can settle for that. Hopefully Smash has full chat support or at the bare minimum, lobby chat. Nintendo should just offer basic mic support for everything, but its automatically off and hidden in the options. Smash and Kart are games that are going to be played for the next five years, thats why I'm upset about their attitude for voice chat.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No voice chat while racing = no sale. That puts such a damper on the multiplayer fun. I was going to buy a Wii U for this. :-(

Sendou

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

What? It's true. Even the worst player has a chance because of the better items they get. But of course the way to play Mario Kart is by choosing Mario Circuit | Mario Only | No Items | Standard Kart... Am I right?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just don't understand the logic behind not having voice chat in-game... Originally I just thought Nintendo didn't do voice chat because there was no way to censor it but now that we can voice chat in the lobbies why in the world didn't they just go all the way and allow it during the game as well?

daxgame

god damn.
I literally already own almost all of those free games, except Sonic, Game & Wario and WiiU Party.
Will get the last to play with my wife.

Only hardcore nintendo fans would find the absence of online chat to be reasonable. The dreamcast had a mic for christ sake lol.

It depends: I don't want to hear people talking when I'm playing, so I can't care less. I agree though that you should be able to talk with those in your friend lists while playing

Frolow

Banned
Maybe they can patch in true voice chat, for at least when you're playing with friends.
Who am I kidding?

Hindl

It depends: I don't want to hear people talking when I'm playing, so I can't care less. I agree though that you should be able to talk with those in your friend lists while playing

Yeah the no voice chat with friends in game kinda sucks, but I hate voice chat with strangers. It always gets loud and distracting. Though the solution of being able to turn off voice chat can solve that.

Either way, it does suck, but if the inclusion/exclusion of voice chat online was the deciding factor in getting the game, you probably weren't that interested anyway

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No you weren't.
Check my post history / tweets if you want. I was excited as hell for Mario Kart. I'll probably wait for Zelda to buy a Wii U now, especially if Smash doesn't have voice chat, too.

Exile20

nd84CAn.jpg
ksLktlW.jpg

YDyPhTX.jpg
lCOt0ot.jpg

Vk7SNqv.jpg
FRDkqS0.jpg

NjUf0j9.jpg
VI7D8oe.jpg

26XxhVh.jpg
aQl68Ya.jpg

9sbZJQJ.jpg
Z9l3rMi.jpg

zkBsILU.png
9whq030.png

JutTJWD.png
pDhHms7.png

hc1oedz.png
NfIGyRG.png

xFTapd5.png

KHlover

Banned
Check my post history / tweets if you want. I was excited as hell for Mario Kart. I'll probably wait for Zelda to buy a Wii U now, especially if Smash doesn't have voice chat, too.

No voice chat didn't stop you from buying MKDS it seems. I would count the option to not hear about my mother's sex life from strangers online as a plus and there'll always be other solutions with friends online, but that's not my decision to make.

In the end YOU are the one who's going to miss out on a most likely awesome game over a pretty minor feature, not me...

Lobby voice chat, probably for friends only, is at least something. I don't understand the reasoning behind lobby only though. Baby steps, I guess.

I really hope because Smash is T-rated, Nintendo allows full voice chat. That's assuming their reservations are due to language.

rob305

Trailer is cool and all...but did anyone manage to spot Diddy? Maybe hes somewhere driving in the background or something

I can't get over 4 koopalings taking up roster spots, they're nit even memorable characters, just one would have been more then enough. And 3 baby characters? Wtf

Terrible roster, especially as there is only one Mario Kart game per Nintendo system

BM8

Neo Member
Lobby voice chat, probably for friends only, is at least something. I don't understand the reasoning behind lobby only though. Baby steps, I guess.

Nintendo - "We're giving you this incredible soundtrack, and you WILL listen to it!"

KHlover

Banned
how will you register the game if you download from the eshop?

You can link your Club Nintendo account to the eShop. All games you purchase on the eShop AFTER you linked it to your Club Nintendo account will automatically be registered. Any purchases made before you linked your Club Nintendo account with the eShop unfortunately will not be registered, so make sure to link the accounts before buying Mario Kart 8.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to wonder if no voice chat during race really is for technical reasons. 60fps racing game + 12 players + items and projectiles on the track all with behavior and collision detection.

It cannot be simple to get a game like that to play well with netcode, especially since it's not like a first person shooter - there's not a lot of illusion that can be used to cover up lag and teleporting players.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No voice chat didn't stop you from buying MKDS it seems. I would count the option to not hear about my mother's sex life from strangers online as a plus and there'll always be other solutions with friends online, but that's not my decision to make.

In the end YOU are the one who's going to miss out on a most likely awesome game over a pretty minor feature, not me...
I would mostly want to play this game with friends, and 90% of the time I play with friends online, not in person. My buddy in Japan was going to get a Wii U for this, too. But now that we know we can't talk while racing, we're not going to bother. I'm bummed about missing out on this game, but it's worth has been severely impacted for me because of this news.

moai

You can link your Club Nintendo account to the eShop. All games you purchase on the eShop AFTER you linked it to your Club Nintendo account will automatically be registered. Any purchases made before you linked your Club Nintendo account with the eShop unfortunately will not be registered, so make sure to link the accounts before buying Mario Kart 8.

thats great advice. thanks.

jeffers

I would mostly want to play this game with friends, and 90% of the time I play with friends online, not in person. My buddy in Japan was going to get a Wii U for this, too. But now that we know we can't talk while racing, we're not going to bother. I'm bummed about missing out on this game, but it's worth has been severely impacted for me because of this news.

just get Hangouts on your phone or something....

Using skype or skipping on MK.. hmm tough question.

AdanVC

God, I hate YT videos. It totally destroys the look of the game.

Yeah : /. That awesome slow motion footage on the Direct was ruined because of the compressed image quality of YouTube... and at 30 fps. I can't freaking wait to see that on the TV screen in true HD and at 60 fps goodnes. Hnngh!

Top Bottom