• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 : trailer and official PR (lobby voice chat confirmed)

Aw yeah, love me some more fucking character recolours. You read my mind Nintendo.

That aside, the rest of the game looks fantastic.

Mdesilva

Wow, they're really pulling out all the stops in this game; they have a lot of confidence in it. And it looks unbelievably good too, so I can see why.

Chindogg

I'm ok with no voice chat during races. I don't need some 10 year old reminding me of how much phallus I ingested while he fornicated with my mother the previous night when I'm trying to race. I can see how some want that feature, but I consistently hate it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, 720p60fps with the level of details we see and everything that is going on the screen on Wii U might not leave too much space for anything else. This might be the reason for not using the gamepad for the local 2 players MP.
I'm not sure that voice chat is that taxing concidering how many games that has it. But i cant say for sure how it is. If it was an afterthought, maybe thats why (kinda like how Sony couldnt get party-chat to work on PS3 because there werent enough memory available for it, since it was an afterthought, the PS3 wasnt originally designed with party-chat in mind).

The gamepad is another thing that i dont quite understand either. The game supports splitscreen up to 4 player at the same time, yet its not possible to mirror one of those images to the gamepad.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not sure that voice chat is that taxing concidering how many games that has it. But i cant say for sure how it is. If it was an afterthought, maybe thats why (kinda like how Sony couldnt get party-chat to work on PS3 because there werent enough memory available for it, since it was an afterthought, the PS3 wasnt originally designed with party-chat in mind).

The gamepad is another thing that i dont quite understand either. The game supports splitscreen up to 4 player at the same time, yet its not possible to mirror one of those images to the gamepad.

It could be the memory for the voice chat. It's just a speculation.

As for the Gamepad, for split screen you still render 720p, while for asynchronous multiplayer you need to generate 720p + 854 x 480 on the gamepad, so almost 50% more pixels.

test_account

XP-39C²
It could be the memory for the voice chat. It's just a speculation.

As for the Gamepad, for split screen you still render 720p, while for asynchronous multiplayer you need to generate 720p + 854 x 480 on the gamepad, so almost 50% more pixels.
That is true, but it doesnt have to run the game at 720p when doing co-op with the gamepad. The game is asynchronous multiplayer in splitscreen too (up to 4 different cameras/screens being rendered at the same time). Its either dropping the resolution in each screen and/or dropping the framerate. They could have shown one of these cameras on the gamepad instead of the TV. That shouldnt require any more rendering compared to what they are already doing. But then the image quality would be a lot worse on the TV if they run one picture in fullscreen on the TV and one picture on the gamepad. They could always have used the black border solution on the TV, but perhaps this is the reason why they dont have support for showing one splitscreen on the gamepad. Its not really a big deal for me personally, but i find it interesting from a technical and design standpoint =)

R&D

Banned
Wow the course design looks really ambitious. It blows away every kart racer ever. That's how you use more powerful hardware.

Ainaurdur

en9aFDc.jpg

How did nobody else point out this beauty?

I had the same thought when I saw her in the direct.

SGRX

Can't wait for this. I'm glad there isn't going to be voice chat during the races - I really hate voice chat unless I'm either playing with friends, or it's the type of game that needs player communication in order to succeed. Voice chat in this game wouldn't have been anything more than trash talk and constant swearing anyway.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Can't wait for this. I'm glad there isn't going to be voice chat during the races - I really hate voice chat unless I'm either playing with friends, or it's the type of game that needs player communication in order to succeed. Voice chat in this game wouldn't have been anything more than trash talk and constant swearing anyway.

I don't understand this. 1.) They could simply add an option to not have voice chat during a race. 2.) The voice chat is only with friends anyways, presumably people you like.

EDIT: I guess it's not confirmed that it's only with friends, but my first point still stands.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm okay with lobby only. races are only 2 mins long and hugely frustrating. It's probably for the best.

Having said that, not having party chat is a huge omission on the system.

I can deal with only lobby chat. I rather not have to listen to people while I race. It would be better if you could talk in game with those on your friends list.

I just hope they have a report feature. To go after those people that will be curing up a storm or tossing racial slurs out there just because they know they can and it will piss people off or find it funny to do so when they see they're in a lobby with kids.

Top Bottom