• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 : trailer and official PR (lobby voice chat confirmed)

jimi_dini

No voice chat while racing = no sale. That puts such a damper on the multiplayer fun. I was going to buy a Wii U for this. :-(

OnUOH9t.gif

No you weren't.

Effect

I can deal with only lobby chat. I rather not have to listen to people while I race. It would be better if you could talk in game with those on your friends list.

I just hope they have a report feature. To go after those people that will be curing up a storm or tossing racial slurs out there just because they know they can and it will piss people off or find it funny to do so when they see they're in a lobby with kids.

ThaGuy

Thinking about trading in pikmin 3 and getting store credit for Mario kart. Then just download pikmin on my Wii u digitally. Gamestop is offering 30 for pikmin and 20 for mario kart wii.

Baby Rosalina goes beyond being a pointless addition ala. Baby Daisy, that's just actively shitting on Galaxy's beautiful storybook sequences so they have can have a balanced character select screen. I mean if they have to put in Baby Rosalina couldn't they have, you know, actually stuck with the design they had established rather than turn her into a generic blob with a dummy and a crown?

I have to admit that gold Peach is kinda funny though with those diamond touches, wouldn't mind using her occasionally.

Baby Rosalina goes beyond being a pointless addition ala. Baby Daisy, that's just actively shitting on Galaxy's beautiful storybook sequences so they have can have a balanced character select screen. I mean god, if they have to put in Baby Rosalina couldn't they have, you know, actually stuck with the design they had established rather than turn her into a generic blob with a dummy and a crown?

Don't be a baby.

lewisgone

Baby Rosalina goes beyond being a pointless addition ala. Baby Daisy, that's just actively shitting on Galaxy's beautiful storybook sequences so they have can have a balanced character select screen. I mean if they have to put in Baby Rosalina couldn't they have, you know, actually stuck with the design they had established rather than turn her into a generic blob with a dummy and a crown?

I have to admit that gold Peach is kinda funny though with those diamond touches, wouldn't mind using her occasionally.

I doubt it's as spiteful as you make it sound, but Rosalina as a child would have really stuck out, and a lot of people probably wouldn't recognize her (she even had red hair, right?).

Also, I find Pink Gold Peach hilarious. I think I'll main her, unless there are some cool secret characters we don't know about.

VanWinkle

OH MY GOODNESS. I didn't even know there was a Nintendo Direct today. Amazing! I'm so excited for this game now. Everything looks great (well, except the horrible looking multiplayer lobby/UI).

I already have the four games they're letting you choose from, which stinks, but I wouldn't mind having a digital version since mine are all physical. VERY awesome.

King_Moc

Banned
Voice chat among 12 people might be a bit of a mess. The option to be able to speak with those on your friends list at least would have been great. MH3U managed it.

JCX

It's crazy how mario kart has always been miles ahead of other nintendo games on online, even above Smash.

Still wishing for an online console mario party.

If Nintendo bring it by E3 with a bunch of new game reveals, I'll definitely get either the MK bundle or the refurbished Wii U. Mario Kart + WWHD for free sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Voice chat during the race would have been terrible. Nothing causes people to rage like Mario Kart. Nobody wants to hear me screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs during a race. Just ask my neighbors.

majik13

I wasnt expecting voicechat for MK at all. Nintendo ussually never supports it anyways. So was surprised to see it for the lobby. I dotn really care that it wont be during the race, I wouldnt use it anyway, I will probabaly hardely ever play it online. Though I think it would be nice if it worked across your friendslists. Otherwise, yeah there is no point in hearing randoms during a race, other than to shit talk.

BM8

Neo Member
I wasnt expecting voicechat for MK at all. Nintendo ussually never supports it anyways. So was surprised to see it for the lobby. I dotn really care that it wont be during the race, I wouldnt use it anyway, I will probabaly hardely ever play it online. Though I think it would be nice if it worked across your friendslists. Otherwise, yeah there is no point in hearing randoms during a race, other than to shit talk.

Same.

At least we can talk about the race, immediately after its over. So theres still that release of everything you want to say, and it'll still feel relevant.

Remark

Banned
Only Lobby voice chat? I want to trash talk DURING the race .__.

Hopefully the upload straight to YouTube isn't poverty quality....

Teknoman

Same.

At least we can talk about the race, immediately after its over. So theres still that release of everything you want to say, and it'll still feel relevant.

Thats what usually happened in Project Gotham Racing or even in Street Fighter for that matter.

It would have been nice, but im just glad lobby voice chat is there. Talk about the race before and talk trash after.

The_Lump

Banned
op said:
Mario Kart 8 lets players chat with one another in the lobby area using the Wii U GamePad microphone or text phrases as they wait for their friends to join.

Thank the Lord for that clarification. For a second there whilst watching the video I thought Nintendo were attempting to reinvent the term "voice chat" to mean "text speech bubbles" as that's what was being shown as they said it. Phew.

Good news :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No voice chat during race might have a reasonable and simple explanation as that maybe it impacted the performance of the game.

Wait, are we 100% sure about this? What's up with that clip they showed with selecting prewritten comments in the lobby? I assumed that meant no voice chat.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I actually prefer no voice chat during the game, I don't really want to hear someone whining that they got hit by a blue shell or missed a turn. Less crap talk in the actual game = far more fun round. Leave all the banter to the in-between matching.

Also, holy crap that trailer. Can not wait for this game, going to be gorgeous.

In-game voice chat would have been really irritating so I'm glad it is restricted to the Lobby myself.
Bowser's kids, more shitty baby characters, and another metal character. What a roster.

But the courses look amazing though.

Still better than the Mario Kart 7 roster.

CALS

Neo Member
I actually prefer no voice chat during the game, I don't really want to hear someone whining that they got hit by a blue shell or missed a turn. Less crap talk in the actual game = far more fun round. Leave all the banter to the in-between matching.

Also, holy crap that trailer. Can not wait for this game, going to be gorgeous.

I agree hearing 12 people talk just sound painful along with ingame audio.

I guess you can limit it to friends ingame.

bryanee

In game chat would of been great. Banter between mates when playing MK is also damn good fun.

Nintendo could of given the option so anyone doesn't want it in racing could switch it off.

test_account

XP-39C²
No voice chat during race might have a reasonable and simple explanation as that maybe it impacted the performance of the game.
This is the only reason that i can think of that would make some sense, but then again, a lot of games have in-game voice chat, and PS4 and Xbox One have general voice chat regardless of which games that are being played, and Skype etc. works fine on PC while playing games. The games still run great even when using voice chat. So it shouldnt be a technical problem, unless the WiiU hardware/software has some hurdle regarding this, but i doubt that. It would be interesting to know what the reason is that they dont include in-game voice chat as an option. Muting people can be made very easy and seamless (like it is in Call of Duty, just to take one example).

ThaGuy

I think Mario kart should have voice chat the same way halo does it. In halo, when you get close to enemies, you can hear them. Imagine passing people in Mario kart and hearing them shout at u and it gets faint the farther away you are. That could work.

lewisgone

I think Mario kart should have voice chat the same way halo does it. In halo, when you get close to enemies, you can hear them. Imagine passing people in Mario kart and hearing them shout at u and it gets faint the farther away you are. That could work.

Yeah that would be the coolest.

I'm not too fussed about voice chat with random racers. But it's going to be disappointing pulling off a great maneuver against a friend...like a good green shell shot or last second overtake, and not hearing them yell at you.

G.O.O.

y'all know this is why there's no in-race voice chat

Mario_99ec53_735407.jpg

I don't think any of my talking while playing this game has been anything else than swearing, ever.

There should absolutely be in-game voice chat with friends only, mute all, and mute player toggles. Oh well, I guess I can skype with my friends while playing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is the only reason that i can think of that would make some sense, but then again, a lot of games have in-game voice chat, and PS4 and Xbox One have general voice chat regardless of which games that are being played, and Skype etc. works fine on PC while playing games. The games still run great even when using voice chat. So it shouldnt be a technical problem, unless the WiiU hardware/software has some hurdle regarding this, but i doubt that. It would be interesting to know what the reason is that they dont include in-game voice chat as an option. Muting people can be made very easy and seamless (like it is in Call of Duty, just to take one example).

Well, 720p60fps with the level of details we see and everything that is going on the screen on Wii U might not leave too much space for anything else. This might be the reason for not using the gamepad for the local 2 players MP.

Top Bottom