• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart | Community Thread | *Insert Profanities Here*

Grumble's fine until that one turn that you basically have to memorize the exit timing to consistently exit tightly because you can't fucking see anything.

Roo

Grumble's fine until that one turn that you basically have to memorize the exit timing to consistently exit tightly because you can't fucking see anything.
Yeah, the last turn with the sinking rock and fire snake bouncing around is a total bitch in lap 3 :<
Well I used to hate Ribbon and Yoshi's Circuit but now I love them. I can't say that about Grumble... just no.

lol
Fair enough

I wish I could say same thing for Neo Bowser City 200CC. It's just shitty track for 200cc but it's pretty good for 150ccc.
Hold B throughout MTs (and a little afterward) during the sharp turn section and tap B throughout the first turn in that section so you exit it tightly.

You can now consistently do NBC without falling off. Congrats!

Karts have it easy on NBC to be honest. You need to practice your lines. Trust me, I can tell the difference lol
Can confirm.

To do it on a bike without braking hard as fuck you need super precise lines and braking skills. It's tough shit.

Whereas with karts it's kind of autopilot for me now, even when there are triple shrooms everywhere and some asshole used a blooper.

Roo

856:35 hours

giphy.gif

Lol, Roo.

I have a huge presentation tomorrow but would like to take an hour break for MK8 sometime tonight, otherwise, my brain will be fried with this project.

I'm flexible with time, just let me know if anyone wants to play.

Roo

Lol, Roo.

I have a huge presentation tomorrow but would like to take an hour break for MK8 sometime tonight, otherwise, my brain will be fried with this project.

I'm flexible with time, just let me know if anyone wants to play.

If it's after 9 pm PT sure, I can join.

GametimeUK

Looking to get in to Mario Kart 8 online. Is there anything in this game similar to snaking? Do these techniques have to be used to win? I am usually able to learn the techniques, but it saps the fun from the game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Looking to get in to Mario Kart 8 online. Is there anything in this game similar to snaking? Do these techniques have to be used to win? I am usually able to learn the techniques, but it saps the fun from the game.

There is no snaking in MK8. I don't think there are any techniques in 200cc.

Burning Justice

the superior princess

Snaking is not in, but there are a few advanced techniques. Firehopping is the biggest one, it involves hopping back and forth after a boost, which increases your speed. It's not as game-breaking as snaking, but in high-level rooms, yes, you pretty much need to firehop to do well. It's also nowhere near as exhausting, thankfully.

There are a few other techniques, but they aren't as necessary as firehopping is.

And *most* of the advanced techniques in this game, including firehopping, don't work in 200cc. Softdrifting (holding the left stick at a 45 degree angle while drifting to get a MT faster) is the only AT I know of that works in 200cc; the rest only work in 150cc and below.

Softdrifting doesn't charge your MT faster. It just lets you maintain the maximum charge speed with a gentler angle than normal. But it does let you get an MT faster on gentle turns than if you just tapped hard right/left repeatedly I guess.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Softdrifting doesn't charge your MT faster. It just lets you maintain the maximum charge speed with a gentler angle than normal. But it does let you get an MT faster on gentle turns than if you just tapped hard right/left repeatedly I guess.

Oh, yeah, I know that. I wanted to explain it in just a few words, but couldn't think of a good way to do that. It lets you charge faster if you're not holding your drift at the sharpest possible angle.

Enforced

Sorry about going off-topic do you guys want to play zelda with me tomorrow? I just want to play with kartgaf bros on that game. :p

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Figured it out:

"Softdrifting lets you take gentle turns with fast MTs."

All right, I guess I didn't try hard enough. I'll keep it in mind next time I have to give an explanation like that!

Sorry about going off-topic do you guys want to play zelda with me tomorrow? I just want to play with kartgaf bros on that game. :p

I would, but I don't think the demo allows you to play with friends online. I'll play the full game with you, though, if you're planning on getting it.

EDIT: It doesn't.

Enforced

I'll be surprised if the demo lets you play with friends.

All right, I guess I didn't try hard enough. I'll keep it in mind next time I have to give an explanation like that!

I would, but I don't think the demo allows you to play with friends online. I'll play the full game with you, though, if you're planning on getting it.
just checked. Yeah you're right. Oh well. I might get it. Maybe sometime in December.

Top Bottom