• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart DS - Catch All Thread

For those just buying the game today in Europe, this is a heads up so
you can find everything you might want to at GAF. This includes a link
to Demi's Wifi Connection site, as well as some notes on playing friends
that some of you will miss if you're like me and skip instruction booklets.

mkcatchallthread.jpg

==================================================

NINTENDO WFC (WiFi Connection) WEBSITE

http://www.nintendowifi.com - choose your country from this page
(or alternatively try substituting ".com" for your country's domesitc suffix)

MARIO KART DS WEBSITE

North America
http://www.mariokart.com/mkds/launch/index.html

Europe
http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/mariokartds/

GAMING AGE / 0A FRIENDS LIST (courtesy of demi)

http://frostitution.net/wifi/

If you've just bought the game and want to play people from GA, this
should be your first stop. Please see below notes on adding/playing
friends.

VISUAL AID FOR MAKING DECALS / EMBLEMS

This page will take images from your computer and generate a
32x32 template for you to copy off when creating decals on your DS.
Hotlinking images won't work.. you must save any images that it
creates if you're going to need them later.

http://www.zsivanys.nl/mkdecal/

Script by IRbaboon, Template by Kirbu

ADDING / PLAYING FRIENDS IN MARIO KART DS

Finding out your own friend code
Menu = Nintendo WFC > Friend Code > Confirm Friend Code

Adding friends:
Menu = Nintendo WFC > Friend Code > Register Friend Code

Playing friends:
Menu = Nintendo WFC > Nintendo WFC Match > Friends

Playing a specific friend:
Mario Kart will search for the three most easily accessible friends
when setting up a game. If you have lots of friends, and want to
organise a game with specific people, or play certain people more
often, then you can take steps to make sure that happens too:

1) Both players must have added each other as friends
2) Both players having "locked" their opponents Mario Kart IDs,
will be more likely to play each other. So to play one friend, you
would lock that friend, and leave everyone else unlocked. To play
a selection of friends more often than others, lock those friends.

To "lock" a friend:
Menu = Nintendo WFC > Nintendo WFC Match > Friends Roster >
Lock Icon

A USEFUL THING TO DO WOULD BE TO PM ANY GAF USERS YOU
ADD TO YOUR FRIENDS ROSTER, SO THAT THEY ADD YOU TOO.

OTHER GAF THREADS PERTAINING TO MARIO KART DS

GAF Online / Matchup Forum
http://www.ga-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Official Mario Kart DS Topic!
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=70281

Mario Kart DS Friendlist Thread
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=70806

I just added you btw. I added a bunch of people from the thread(s) in the online forum...
so far on my friends roster...

Demi, Callous, SCruZer, Smiles & Cries, Matlock, Gunstar, AirBrian, Gazunta, Scrow

I never expected to find the game on shelves today, but what do you know. All I need now is the dongle, which none of the stores had even heard of. Guess I'll have to rely on good old internet to get me one of those. No online for me until next week. :(

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
radioheadrule83 said:
I just added you btw. I added a bunch of people from the thread(s) in the online forum...
so far on my friends roster...

Demi, Callous, SCruZer, Smiles & Cries, Matlock, Gunstar, AirBrian, Gazunta, Scrow

Heyo my man

Harker

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh man tomorrow it will be mine.

anyone in europe found the adapter instore? Where are you if you found it.

Falch

I got both the game and the usb stick yesterday, at a Media Markt (Holland).

Great game, great online experience (lag free and all).

maynerd

Banned
I was driving on the highway tonight. I saw a bus that had WiFi enabled on the side of the bus. I kicked on my DS and did a search and it found the WiFi signal unfortunately I couldn't connect (not a DS problem but probably another issue). This was all at 65 MPH! :)

Wild!

demi

mrklaw said:
lovely stuff. Added myself to frostitution and sorted out my connection

You missed a number.

I'm also not playing this game anymore, so don't bother adding me as a friend.

i picked this up today and took it home only to find out that my wireless router is not compatible with the ds (my wireless router uses WPA, not WEP, for security) :(

it will be a little while before i can shell out $35 for the usb dongle... i was really looking forward to playing with some fellow gaffers too...

Drensch

i picked this up today and took it home only to find out that my wireless router is not compatible with the ds (my wireless router uses WPA, not WEP, for security) :(

it will be a little while before i can shell out $35 for the usb dongle... i was really looking forward to playing with some fellow gaffers too...
I'd be shockedc if your router didn't support WEP also. Just enable 128 WEP and play.

Drensch said:
I'd be shockedc if your router didn't support WEP also. Just enable 128 WEP and play.

ehh, i don't think it does. it's a linksys model WRT54G. it's my router, but i'm staying at my brothers and he JUST secured the wireless network a couple of weeks ago... he works from home and connects to the servers at hisworkplace, so it's understandable why the security needs to be there. plus, i don't know have the info to change any settings and he's and bed. he's also a dick at times and won't want to be bothered with it so i can play videogames online. not that i can blame him... i'm 26 years old ffs! :lol

i do want to say that this game is great. plays great, looks great, and feels great. nintendo really nailed this one. i wish i could go at it with some you guys. i'll have to pick up a dongle soon. hopefully people are still playing by then.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Falch said:
I got both the game and the usb stick yesterday, at a Media Markt (Holland).

Great game, great online experience (lag free and all).

Amsterdam Media Markt per chance? /hope. It wasn't available at any of the small stores, so I'm stuck here with no online cart :( Might have to take a trip out on the metro.

Aurora

I need to wait a few more hours to get my WEP :/ but I should be online later on today.
I look forward to seeing you guys. :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
woooo! got the dongle, mediamarkt hooked me up (phew)

catfish

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
catfish said:
woooo! got the dongle, mediamarkt hooked me up (phew)

catfish

Added you catfish, mine: 064484 543379

Just had some great games with AirBrian and Radioheadrule83. I couldn't work out how to boost at first. Unfair advantage. :lol

You still won more overall matches than me!

I've also added catfish.
Oh and John (Harker), I added you the other day, we just musnt have been on at the same time yet.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I think I added every euro person on demis list, I'm currently searching.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well I saw that someone on my friendslist was searching and so was I. no matches. EVER. I'm really really disappointed in the online mariokart system so far. I've sat there playing with a menu for about 3 hours today got 3 1 on 1 matches and got owned in all of them. I want to play some 4 player so I will have a chance to suck slightly less.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Using a router? Try rebooting it. Seriously, it worked for me yesterday after a few hours of similar symptoms.

Edit - Oh, you're dongling... hmm.

Xrenity

Got the stick from Bart Smit (toyshop) no other shop had it, asked for it, and got one \o/
And that after I got home with some USB dongle, which could only join networks, not set up one.

The USB adapter works PERFECTLY, by the way, it amazed me it was so easy to install and go online :)

catfish said:
well I saw that someone on my friendslist was searching and so was I. no matches. EVER. I'm really really disappointed in the online mariokart system so far. I've sat there playing with a menu for about 3 hours today got 3 1 on 1 matches and got owned in all of them. I want to play some 4 player so I will have a chance to suck slightly less.

I didnt realise you were searching before... I think I may have been in a game. Perhaps its better to use IRC, AOL/MSN or something to organise these things. Something real time...

Basically, it was telling me someone was on just before when I was playing Great King Bowser... basically theres nothing you can do about it in that situation unless you drop out of the game. It probably wasnt telling you that people were searching.. it was probably telling you that GKB and I were logged in. Unfortunately the game was under way. They shoulda maybe done a seperate icon to tell you that...

You'll have no trouble finding a game (you shouldn't anyway) in the other modes. Sometimes Rivals takes a while to give me somebody but worldwide / continental are cool. Worldwide seems best for packing out a game with 4 players.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna give it another shot now. also, anyone familiar with outpost firewall? Mine detects and blocks portscan attacks while I run it when playing online. Don't really want to disable it all the time so I need to find a workaround....

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
yeah :( doesn't wanna work. just played my next one on one game, can't get a blue shell for the life of me, the one time I have a shot at beating this guy, he gets 2 blue shells in a row. this 1 on 1 stuff sucks. and how do I get the robot car? seems thats all anybody uses and it's FAST.

xsarien

daedsiluap
catfish said:
yeah :( doesn't wanna work. just played my next one on one game, can't get a blue shell for the life of me, the one time I have a shot at beating this guy, he gets 2 blue shells in a row. this 1 on 1 stuff sucks. and how do I get the robot car? seems thats all anybody uses and it's FAST.

ROB apparently requires you to slaughter your first born, drink a pint of virgin blood, and the personal blessing of George Steinbrenner.

Or beating the 150cc Nitro (or is it Retro?) mirror tracks. Either way, the first option's probably easier.

Aurora

xsarien said:
ROB apparently requires you to slaughter your first born, drink a pint of virgin blood, and the personal blessing of George Steinbrenner.

Or beating the 150cc Nitro (or is it Retro?) mirror tracks. Either way, the first option's probably easier.

:lol

My friend came over and we went online for the very first time. We choose rivals... who do we get? This guy with TWO stars by his nickname using R.O.B. Now how the fuck is that a "close match in skill"? Needless to say we got owned but we did come quite close to beating him once.

Here's my code btw:

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
biodegradablebean said:
Nice matches, catfish. I'm Gunstar. Don't forget this thread (http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=70281) people.

I have only completed the 50 and 100cc cups, and have played none of the missions. Online's just too addicting, but it's a shame some of the better tracks (Waluigi Pinball) aren't playable online. Still, the system works pretty damn good for Nintendos first try.

yeah, good games, I got my ass beat, but not usually by enough to give up hope and quit. Look forward to playing you again, god I have the hands of a 90 year old after that though.

I thought I was going to win choco mountain off you, but I couldn't drift/slipstream thing off you while going over all the bumps at the end :lol (which I just figured out how to do)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oops. Stupid dumb-ass gyration keyboard doesn't like 9's.

correct code is: 085959 369725

demi, would you be a darling?

Top Bottom